* kernel boot problems
@ 2001-01-27 20:58 Ryan Hairyes
From: Ryan Hairyes @ 2001-01-27 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello all,

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me.
I have just compiled my kernel and set it up on a floppy
to boot off a disk.  I have it then use an image file to uncompress
and get the filesystem off ,etc.  Well when it boots it says it has
uncompressed the filesystem image and then gives me this:
Mounted Root (ext2 filesystem) readonly
Freeing unused kernel memory: 212K freed
Warning: unable to open an initial console
Kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init= option to the kernel.

I know that I have init on the image, so what could I be doing wrong.
It is probably something stupid that I am overlooking, but I thank you in
advance.

Ryan

-

* Re: kernel boot problems
@ 2001-01-28  0:14 Derek Benson
From: Derek Benson @ 2001-01-28  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

 Ryan> Hello all,

Hi

 Ryan> I was wondering if someone might be able to help me.  I have
 Ryan> just compiled my kernel and set it up on a floppy to boot off a
 Ryan> disk.  I have it then use an image file to uncompress and get
 Ryan> the filesystem off ,etc.  Well when it boots it says it has
 Ryan> uncompressed the filesystem image and then gives me this:
 Ryan> Mounted Root (ext2 filesystem) readonly Freeing unused kernel
 Ryan> memory: 212K freed Warning: unable to open an initial console
 Ryan> Kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init= option to the
 Ryan> kernel.

 Ryan> I know that I have init on the image, so what could I be doing
 Ryan> wrong.  It is probably something stupid that I am overlooking,
 Ryan> but I thank you in advance.

This is commonly seen when your /etc/fstab is pointing to the wrong partion
for root, or (I believe) on some older kernels where the location of the root
partition is contained within the kernel or on the boot sector somewhere.
(Forgive me for not being more explicit my memory fails me) Try man rdev
for changeing these values.

Of course as someone else has noted there could be other reasons, but if
you are looking for something 'stupid' (believe me I've done this before
too) then this could be it.

Try passing 'root=/dev/hda2' or whatever (without the '') to the kernel
at the boot prompt:

lilo: linux root=/dev/hda1 single

Replace linux above with the alias of your kernel.

If you don't know what partiion root is on you can always cycle through
the partitions consecutively.  (I've done this before when breaking into
linux boxes that I didn't build but had the job of maintaining).

Once you have booted into single mode you can edit /etc/fstab to point to
the right place.  Or else if thats correct just boot up with linux root=blah
and you'll be up and running!

Hope this helps.

derek
-

* Kernel boot problems
@ 2011-07-28  2:20 Bernard Mentink
From: Bernard Mentink @ 2011-07-28  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi Guys,

I have got a bit further with my efforts to boot linux on an imx31 based
platform using u-boot.

My console output is now:

uboot> bootm 80100000
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 80100000 ...
   Image Name:   Angstrom/2.6.36/mx31ads
   Created:      2011-07-28   2:03:27 UTC
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    1586172 Bytes = 1.5 MiB
   Load Address: 8f000000
   Entry Point:  8f000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

So it seems to be getting to the 1st part of the kernel boot process,
then hangs (I presume the last line comes from kernel code.)
I don't know if the kernel is hanging, or if I don't have any more
serial out ....
I am passing "console=ttymxc0,115200" to the kernel ..
Can someone confirm:
A) If I have the correct Entry point, or does this need to be offset
into the kernel? ..
B) Is the serial console parameters correct?
C) What is the correct way to set up the memory map? (my ram starts at
0x80000000, ends at 0x8fffffff)
D) Is there a way to debug initial kernel stuff with serial output?
In the above, I have decompressed the kernel to the top of the 256M ram,
but have only advertised 120M via the bootloader   ... for now, not
knowing what is correct and not wanting the kernel
to stomp all over itself running in ram.

Many Thanks,
Bernie