* RE: iptables 1.2.8 libc6 question
@ 2003-07-15 21:03 Daniel Chemko
From: Daniel Chemko @ 2003-07-15 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanoil Kotsev, netfilter

Cross compiling is not a trivial matter when cross compiling different
systems. Basically unless you are running vanilla x86 with compatible
versions of libc, you will run into hella troubles getting into it.  As
a solution, you will need either the libc from the destination
architecture on the build machine, and point the compiler to build the
program against the other libraries. I have never done this with
iptables, but that is how you would go about it.

From: Emanoil Kotsev @ 2003-07-15 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Chemko, netfilter

ThanX Daniel,
unfortunately you are not telling me anything new.
My question is how could I point iptables to the other libc.

Few things are going trough my mind:

1) exporting and mounting trough nfs on the compile-machine and then pointing
the compiler to the directory mounted.
Question: after I install iptables where is it going to look for the
libraries?? I don't think it will find the proper path

2) copying the libraries for ex. in /usr/local/lib
Question: On target machine the libs are in /lib ??? would iptables find them
under /usr/local/lib (it is in ld.so.conf)

3) What about compiling iptables with no shared libraries as it will be
permanently used - are the libc6 -> libc-2.3.1 included in iptables?

4) perhaps the easiest way if possible at all would be to upgrade the target
machine

Which should I choose and are there any better ideas???

Thanks in advance for taking your time

unfortunately I tried to replace libc-2.2.5 on the target machine but it
wasn't good idea :-)) I ran into "hella trouble".

I was lucky to have a backup of the system and I can just recommend
BACKUP EVERYTHING POSSIBLE as often as you can - it safes time .

Unfortunately I don't want to restore everything from backup - so I wait for
your advises.

regards

- --

On Tuesday 15 July 2003 23:03, Daniel Chemko wrote:
> Cross compiling is not a trivial matter when cross compiling different
> systems. Basically unless you are running vanilla x86 with compatible
> versions of libc, you will run into hella troubles getting into it.  As
> a solution, you will need either the libc from the destination
> architecture on the build machine, and point the compiler to build the
> program against the other libraries. I have never done this with
> iptables, but that is how you would go about it.

- --
//----------------------
|| Emanoil Kotsev
|| tel. 0043 1 9253175
\\--- penguin friendly--

* Re: iptables 1.2.8 libc6 question
@ 2003-07-16  1:51   ` Daniel Chemko
From: Daniel Chemko @ 2003-07-16  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanoil Kotsev; +Cc: netfilter

Emanoil Kotsev wrote:

>ThanX Daniel,
>unfortunately you are not telling me anything new.
>My question is how could I point iptables to the other libc.
>
>Few things are going trough my mind:
>
>1) exporting and mounting trough nfs on the compile-machine and then pointing
>the compiler to the directory mounted.
>Question: after I install iptables where is it going to look for the
>libraries?? I don't think it will find the proper path

Libc == dynamic so ld.so.conf will show you the way.

>2) copying the libraries for ex. in /usr/local/lib
>Question: On target machine the libs are in /lib ??? would iptables find them
>under /usr/local/lib (it is in ld.so.conf)

yeah

>3) What about compiling iptables with no shared libraries as it will be
>permanently used - are the libc6 -> libc-2.3.1 included in iptables?

Should be, static binaries are pretty simple if space isn't a concern.
Hell, with libc static in the binary, you don't even need to get the
other libc for the build platform. Hmm..

>4) perhaps the easiest way if possible at all would be to upgrade the target
>machine

Also a good idea if an upgrader is easily found. Depends on how many
programs are installed as well.

>Which should I choose and are there any better ideas???
>
>Thanks in advance for taking your time
>
>unfortunately I tried to replace libc-2.2.5 on the target machine but it
>wasn't good idea :-)) I ran into "hella trouble".

Definitly - Basically only upgrades from distributions are the only
practical way to accomplish this in larger platforms.

* iptables 1.2.8 libc6 question
@ 2003-07-15 20:40 Emanoil Kotsev
From: Emanoil Kotsev @ 2003-07-15 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter