* RE: raid0 and iscsi
@ 2003-10-13 22:28 jshankar
From: jshankar @ 2003-10-13 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jayshankar Nair, linux-raid, neilb, rob

Hello Neil/Rob,

I am using IP based network(2 Intel Ethernet card Pro 1000/T).
CPUinfo is as below
:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 526.186
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov
pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips        : 1044.22

Can u please explain me  about the below fuctionality:
2>If my chunk size is 8 byte. Does that mean it will write 8 byte into device
0
and then into device 1. Is the write request to the disk in synchronous or
asynchronous mode.

3> Is wite_disk_sb in md.c responsible for writing into disk??. Is fsync_dev
responsible for synhronous write ??. If so can i change to asynchronous
write.I
will really appreciate if somebody can tell me what all routines I need to go
through to figure out the functionality of raid0 behaviourand how it write to
disk.

Thanks
Jay

===== Original Message From rob <rob@fantinibakery.com> =====

@ 2003-10-14 21:07 jshankar
From: jshankar @ 2003-10-14 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jayshankar Nair, Neil Brown; +Cc: linux-raid

Hello Neil,

Thanks for the reply.

I was working on the internet scsi(iscsi drivers provided by intel) and
software
raid configuration for my thesis in Storage Area Network.

The problems right now i am facing is
1> For a local disk write  for 512 mb in DELL 1.2 Ghz it takes me 1 min.
2> For a single iscsi device write, the transfer of data takes place at
4000 bytes/sec.
2> For raid configuration, the rate is pretty slow ( 40 bytes/sec).
One thing i have observe is that write to one of the device( from a total of 2
device)  takes for few minutes and then stop.

I was trying to figure what routines in the operating system code, I might
need
to look into to understand a problem if there is one.

 Some more problems.
If one of the network comes down, the mkfs for the raid , hangs.

>A raid0 array can be made of a number of drives of differing sizes.
>To accomodate this we divide the address space into several blocks.
>The first block is striped across all drives to the size of the
>smallest.  The next block is striped across the remaining drives to
>the size of the next smallest, etc.

Is there a relation between chunk size and block size of raid. Is this similar
to buffer size( write(fd,&buffer,buffer_size) and block size of filesystem.

-Jay

* raid0 and iscsi
@ 2003-10-13  4:34 Jayshankar Nair