* RE: raid0 and iscsi
@ 2003-10-14 21:07 jshankar
From: jshankar @ 2003-10-14 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jayshankar Nair, Neil Brown; +Cc: linux-raid

Hello Neil,

Thanks for the reply.

I was working on the internet scsi(iscsi drivers provided by intel) and
software
raid configuration for my thesis in Storage Area Network.

The problems right now i am facing is
1> For a local disk write  for 512 mb in DELL 1.2 Ghz it takes me 1 min.
2> For a single iscsi device write, the transfer of data takes place at
4000 bytes/sec.
2> For raid configuration, the rate is pretty slow ( 40 bytes/sec).
One thing i have observe is that write to one of the device( from a total of 2
device)  takes for few minutes and then stop.

I was trying to figure what routines in the operating system code, I might
need
to look into to understand a problem if there is one.

 Some more problems.
If one of the network comes down, the mkfs for the raid , hangs.

>A raid0 array can be made of a number of drives of differing sizes.
>To accomodate this we divide the address space into several blocks.
>The first block is striped across all drives to the size of the
>smallest.  The next block is striped across the remaining drives to
>the size of the next smallest, etc.

Is there a relation between chunk size and block size of raid. Is this similar
to buffer size( write(fd,&buffer,buffer_size) and block size of filesystem.

-Jay

* Re: raid0 and iscsi
@ 2003-10-14  6:23 ` Neil Brown
From: Neil Brown @ 2003-10-14  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jayshankar Nair; +Cc: linux-raid

On Sunday October 12, jshankar@CS.ColoState.EDU wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I was testing the raid0 configuration for the iscsi device ( /dev/sdb and
> /dev/sdc).
>
> For writing a 512MB in a LAN environment it was taking 24 hrs. i was going
> through the source code of raid0.c and certain things doesn't made sense to me.
>
> 1> what role does the Hash bit play.

A raid0 array can be made of a number of drives of differing sizes.
To accomodate this we divide the address space into several blocks.
The first block is striped across all drives to the size of the
smallest.  The next block is striped across the remaining drives to
the size of the next smallest, etc.

Mapping from a virtual device address to block and thence a drive and
offset is not straight forward.  It requires a table search.  The hash
table helps accelerate this search.

> 2>If my chunk size is 8 byte. Does that mean it will write 8 byte into device 0
> and then into device 1. Is the write request to the disk in synchronous or
> asynchronous mode.

You cannot have an 8byte chunk size.  4K is the minimum.
With an 8K chunk size and 2 devices,
 sectors between 0 and 8K, 16k and 24K, 32K and 40K, 48K and 56K etc
    are written to the first device.
 sectors between 8K and 16K, 28K and 32K, 40K and 48K etc
    are written to the second device.

raid0 does not impose any synchronisation.  Writes are only
synchronous if the filesystem waits for them.  raid0 never waits.

> 3> Is wite_disk_sb in md.c responsible for writing into disk??. Is fsync_dev
> responsible for synhronous write ??. If so can i change to asynchronous write.I
> will really appreciate if somebody can tell me what all routines I need to go
> through to figure out the functionality of raid0 behaviour.

write_disk_sb is for writing the raid superblock to disk.  It doesn't
happen often.
fsync_dev is fairly irrelevant. You can safely ignore it.

I hope that helps.

NeilBrown

> Thanks
> Jayshankar
>
> -

* Re: raid0 and iscsi
@ 2003-10-14  0:45     ` rob
From: rob @ 2003-10-14  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rob; +Cc: Jayshankar Nair, linux-raid

here is result of writting 3-gb over lan :

1- to h/w raid system:  8,384,582.41 bytes/sec

2- to ide disk: 5,046,348.67 bytes/sec

3- to software raid system: 6,678,231.03 bytes/sec

 the h/w system has fasrer disks than the s/w raid.

> the test I did faulty.  I mistakenly sent data to a non-raid disk on
> the software raid computer.
> for kicks I'll retest and post the results sometime soon.
>

>> the command used: rsync -e ssh -a --stats  /bkup3/  fbc5:/bkup3/
>>
>> here is the result of sending approx 3-gb of data to each:
>

> -

* Re: raid0 and iscsi
@ 2003-10-13 23:33   ` rob
From: rob @ 2003-10-13 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rob; +Cc: Jayshankar Nair, linux-raid

@ 2003-10-13 22:28 jshankar
From: jshankar @ 2003-10-13 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jayshankar Nair, linux-raid, neilb, rob

Hello Neil/Rob,

I am using IP based network(2 Intel Ethernet card Pro 1000/T).
CPUinfo is as below
:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 526.186
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov
pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips        : 1044.22

Can u please explain me  about the below fuctionality:
2>If my chunk size is 8 byte. Does that mean it will write 8 byte into device
0
and then into device 1. Is the write request to the disk in synchronous or
asynchronous mode.

3> Is wite_disk_sb in md.c responsible for writing into disk??. Is fsync_dev
responsible for synhronous write ??. If so can i change to asynchronous
write.I
will really appreciate if somebody can tell me what all routines I need to go
through to figure out the functionality of raid0 behaviourand how it write to
disk.

Thanks
Jay

===== Original Message From rob <rob@fantinibakery.com> =====

@ 2003-10-13 12:14 ` rob
From: rob @ 2003-10-13 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jayshankar Nair, linux-raid

Jayshankar Nair wrote:

>Hello,
>

>I was testing the raid0 configuration for the iscsi device ( /dev/sdb and
>/dev/sdc).
>
>For writing a 512MB in a LAN environment it was taking 24 hrs. i was going
>through the source code of raid0.c and certain things doesn't made sense to me.
>
>1> what role does the Hash bit play.
>2>If my chunk size is 8 byte. Does that mean it will write 8 byte into device 0
>and then into device 1. Is the write request to the disk in synchronous or
>asynchronous mode.
>

>3> Is wite_disk_sb in md.c responsible for writing into disk??. Is fsync_dev
>responsible for synhronous write ??. If so can i change to asynchronous write.I
>will really appreciate if somebody can tell me what all routines I need to go
>through to figure out the functionality of raid0 behaviour.
>
>Thanks
>Jayshankar
>
>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-raid" in

* raid0 and iscsi
@ 2003-10-13  4:34 Jayshankar Nair