* Firmware versioning best practices
@ 2009-09-28 22:17 Luis R. Rodriguez
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2009-09-28 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless
  Cc: reinette chatre, Kalle Valo, Johannes Berg, Christian Lamparter,
	Bob Copeland

The ath_hif_usb driver will require the ar9271 firmware file but in
the future an open firmware might become available. The ar9170 driver
already is under the same situation already: a closed firmware is
available but an open firmware can be used, only thing is ar9170 uses
the same firmware name for both. We *could* change ar9170 to use the
Intel practice of tagging a version at the end of each firmware
release, like ar9170-1.fw but ar9170 originally was implemented with a
2-stage firmware requirement and so ar9170-1.fw is already taken.

ar9170 still needs a solution for the different firmwares, once we
start supporting the open firmware through some sort of release but
I'd like to address ath_hif_usb now early so that we don't run into
these snags and use some decent convention that is easy to follow.

As I noted above, Intel seems to use the device-1.fw, device-2.fw
naming convention. Is this the best approach? Or shall we have the
same firmware filename and simply query the firmware for a map of
capabilities? Any other ideas?

  Luis