* libgpiod v0.1: C library and command-line tools for controlling GPIOs
@ 2017-01-18 15:48 ` Bartosz Golaszewski
From: Bartosz Golaszewski @ 2017-01-18 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij, Lars-Peter Clausen, linux-gpio, Jonathan Cameron,
	Geert Uytterhoeven, Alexandre Courbot,
	linux-iio-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

I'd like to announce the first release of libgpiod. The project
consists of a C library and a set of command-line tools for
controlling GPIOs over the new character device interface.

The tools support reading & setting values, keeping the lines
exported, finding GPIO lines by name, monitoring events etc.

The source code can be found at: https://github.com/brgl/libgpiod

I also submitted a patch for the project to be included in buildroot.

Best regards,
Bartosz Golaszewski

From: Bartosz Golaszewski @ 2017-01-18 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij, Lars-Peter Clausen, linux-gpio, Jonathan Cameron,
	Geert Uytterhoeven, Alexandre Courbot, linux-iio

I'd like to announce the first release of libgpiod. The project
consists of a C library and a set of command-line tools for
controlling GPIOs over the new character device interface.

The tools support reading & setting values, keeping the lines
exported, finding GPIO lines by name, monitoring events etc.

The source code can be found at: https://github.com/brgl/libgpiod

I also submitted a patch for the project to be included in buildroot.

Best regards,
Bartosz Golaszewski

* Re: libgpiod v0.1: C library and command-line tools for controlling GPIOs
  (?)
@ 2017-01-19  9:34 ` Linus Walleij
       [not found]   ` <CACRpkdbq5aFZZfNN1UxjrxTzsHQBdkLcz9LCx3BSp-JoirXR6A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Linus Walleij @ 2017-01-19  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bartosz Golaszewski
  Cc: Lars-Peter Clausen, linux-gpio, Jonathan Cameron,
	Geert Uytterhoeven, Alexandre Courbot, linux-iio

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 4:48 PM, Bartosz Golaszewski
<bgolaszewski@baylibre.com> wrote:

> I'd like to announce the first release of libgpiod. The project
> consists of a C library and a set of command-line tools for
> controlling GPIOs over the new character device interface.

Nice!

Have you thought about adding bindings for higher order
languages etc that I think can make GPIO programming a bliss?

I created some for Control Groups at a point, using ctypes:
https://sourceforge.net/p/cgfreak/code/ci/master/tree/pylibcgroup.py

The point is not that Python would be so great (some think
so) more that this kind of stuff makes GPIOs so much more
accessible, apart from good old C.

Yours,
Linus Walleij

* Re: libgpiod v0.1: C library and command-line tools for controlling GPIOs
@ 2017-01-19 10:10       ` Bartosz Golaszewski
From: Bartosz Golaszewski @ 2017-01-19 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij
  Cc: Lars-Peter Clausen, linux-gpio, Jonathan Cameron,
	Geert Uytterhoeven, Alexandre Courbot,
	linux-iio-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 4:48 PM, Bartosz Golaszewski
> <bgolaszewski-rdvid1DuHRBWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to announce the first release of libgpiod. The project
>> consists of a C library and a set of command-line tools for
>> controlling GPIOs over the new character device interface.
>
> Nice!
>
> Have you thought about adding bindings for higher order
> languages etc that I think can make GPIO programming a bliss?

I have thought about soooo many things I could do, but the problem is
- as usual - time I can devote to this project. ;) Anyways: I'll
welcome any contribution, so if you'll happen to have some time to do
it, I'll surely include it.

> I created some for Control Groups at a point, using ctypes:
> https://sourceforge.net/p/cgfreak/code/ci/master/tree/pylibcgroup.py

FYI check out libsigrok - it generates python bindings from C++ using
swig - maybe this would be a good approach to decrease the amount of
work needed.

> The point is not that Python would be so great (some think
> so) more that this kind of stuff makes GPIOs so much more
> accessible, apart from good old C.

Yep, certainly agree. This is definitely a feature I'd like to have in
the future.

From: Bartosz Golaszewski @ 2017-01-19 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij
  Cc: Lars-Peter Clausen, linux-gpio, Jonathan Cameron,

@ 2017-01-19 10:58       ` Angelo Compagnucci
From: Angelo Compagnucci @ 2017-01-19 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bartosz Golaszewski
  Cc: Linus Walleij, Lars-Peter Clausen, linux-gpio, Jonathan Cameron,
	Geert Uytterhoeven, Alexandre Courbot, linux-iio

Bartosz Golaszewski,

>> On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 4:48 PM, Bartosz Golaszewski
>> <bgolaszewski@baylibre.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to announce the first release of libgpiod. The project
>>> consists of a C library and a set of command-line tools for
>>> controlling GPIOs over the new character device interface.
>>
>> Nice!
>>
>> Have you thought about adding bindings for higher order
>> languages etc that I think can make GPIO programming a bliss?
>>

> I have thought about soooo many things I could do, but the problem is
> - as usual - time I can devote to this project. ;) Anyways: I'll
> welcome any contribution, so if you'll happen to have some time to do
> it, I'll surely include it.
>
>> I created some for Control Groups at a point, using ctypes:
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/cgfreak/code/ci/master/tree/pylibcgroup.py
>>

> FYI check out libsigrok - it generates python bindings from C++ using
> swig - maybe this would be a good approach to decrease the amount of
> work needed.

I'd really like to help here, I have a bit of previous experience with
python bindings to c and I don't think it's a tremendous amount of
work.
I'm planning to fork your project next weeks and trying to do something!

>> The point is not that Python would be so great (some think
>> so) more that this kind of stuff makes GPIOs so much more
>> accessible, apart from good old C.
>>

> Yep, certainly agree. This is definitely a feature I'd like to have in
> the future.
>
> Best regards,
> Bartosz Golaszewski

Profile: http://it.linkedin.com/in/compagnucciangelo

* Re: libgpiod v0.1: C library and command-line tools for controlling GPIOs
@ 2017-01-19 11:06         ` Bartosz Golaszewski
From: Bartosz Golaszewski @ 2017-01-19 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Compagnucci
  Cc: Linus Walleij, Lars-Peter Clausen, linux-gpio, Jonathan Cameron,
	Geert Uytterhoeven, Alexandre Courbot, linux-iio

> Bartosz Golaszewski,

>>> Nice!
>>>
>>> Have you thought about adding bindings for higher order
>>> languages etc that I think can make GPIO programming a bliss?
>>>

>> I have thought about soooo many things I could do, but the problem is
>> - as usual - time I can devote to this project. ;) Anyways: I'll
>> welcome any contribution, so if you'll happen to have some time to do
>> it, I'll surely include it.
>>
>>> I created some for Control Groups at a point, using ctypes:
>>> https://sourceforge.net/p/cgfreak/code/ci/master/tree/pylibcgroup.py
>>>

>> FYI check out libsigrok - it generates python bindings from C++ using
>> swig - maybe this would be a good approach to decrease the amount of
>> work needed.
>
> I'd really like to help here, I have a bit of previous experience with
> python bindings to c and I don't think it's a tremendous amount of
> work.
> I'm planning to fork your project next weeks and trying to do something!

Great! I'll try to find some time to work on C++ bindings then.

Thanks,
Bartosz

* Re: libgpiod v0.1: C library and command-line tools for controlling GPIOs
@ 2017-01-19 14:05     ` Alexander Stein
From: Alexander Stein @ 2017-01-19 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bartosz Golaszewski
  Cc: Linus Walleij, Lars-Peter Clausen, linux-gpio, Jonathan Cameron,
	Geert Uytterhoeven, Alexandre Courbot,
	linux-iio-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi,

On Wednesday 18 January 2017 16:48:08, Bartosz Golaszewski wrote:
> I'd like to announce the first release of libgpiod. The project
> consists of a C library and a set of command-line tools for
> controlling GPIOs over the new character device interface.
>
> The tools support reading & setting values, keeping the lines
> exported, finding GPIO lines by name, monitoring events etc.
>
> The source code can be found at: https://github.com/brgl/libgpiod

Cool thing. thanks! One bug found:
https://github.com/brgl/libgpiod/blob/master/src/tools/gpiomon.c#L31
shortopts is missing 's' so the following occurs:
> gpiomon -l -r -s --num-events=1 gpiochip2 1
> gpiomon: invalid option -- 's'
> gpiomon: try gpiomon --help

> gpiomon -l -r --silent --num-events=1 gpiochip2 1
works as expected

Best regards,
Alexander
--
Dipl.-Inf. Alexander Stein
SYS TEC electronic GmbH

Legal and Commercial Address:
Am Windrad 2
08468 Heinsdorfergrund
Germany

Office: +49 (0) 3765 38600-0
Fax:    +49 (0) 3765 38600-4100

Managing Directors:
	Director Technology/CEO: Dipl.-Phys. Siegmar Schmidt;
	Director Commercial Affairs/COO: Dipl. Ing. (FH) Armin von Collrepp
Commercial Registry:
	Amtsgericht Chemnitz, HRB 28082; USt.-Id Nr. DE150534010

From: Alexander Stein @ 2017-01-19 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bartosz Golaszewski
  Cc: Linus Walleij, Lars-Peter Clausen, linux-gpio, Jonathan Cameron,

alexander.stein@systec-electronic.com

@ 2017-01-19 14:12     ` Bartosz Golaszewski
       [not found]       ` <CAMpxmJUAKOqcBQ=p9Y=wrFk7Ms=dVGCRDWhmiijuUMQ2-MAHug-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Bartosz Golaszewski @ 2017-01-19 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Stein
  Cc: Linus Walleij, Lars-Peter Clausen, linux-gpio, Jonathan Cameron,
	Geert Uytterhoeven, Alexandre Courbot, linux-iio

<alexander.stein@systec-electronic.com>:
> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday 18 January 2017 16:48:08, Bartosz Golaszewski wrote:
>> I'd like to announce the first release of libgpiod. The project
>> consists of a C library and a set of command-line tools for
>> controlling GPIOs over the new character device interface.
>>
>> The tools support reading & setting values, keeping the lines
>> exported, finding GPIO lines by name, monitoring events etc.
>>
>> The source code can be found at: https://github.com/brgl/libgpiod
>
> Cool thing. thanks! One bug found:
> https://github.com/brgl/libgpiod/blob/master/src/tools/gpiomon.c#L31
> shortopts is missing 's' so the following occurs:
>> gpiomon -l -r -s --num-events=1 gpiochip2 1
>> gpiomon: invalid option -- 's'
>> gpiomon: try gpiomon --help
>
>> gpiomon -l -r --silent --num-events=1 gpiochip2 1
> works as expected

Thanks, fixed in git.

@ 2017-01-19 14:30           ` Alexander Stein
From: Alexander Stein @ 2017-01-19 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bartosz Golaszewski
  Cc: Linus Walleij, Lars-Peter Clausen, linux-gpio, Jonathan Cameron,

On Thursday 19 January 2017 15:12:43, Bartosz Golaszewski wrote:

> <alexander.stein-93q1YBGzJSMe9JSWTWOYM3xStJ4P+DSV@public.gmane.org>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wednesday 18 January 2017 16:48:08, Bartosz Golaszewski wrote:
> >> I'd like to announce the first release of libgpiod. The project
> >> consists of a C library and a set of command-line tools for
> >> controlling GPIOs over the new character device interface.
> >>
> >> The tools support reading & setting values, keeping the lines
> >> exported, finding GPIO lines by name, monitoring events etc.
> >>
> >> The source code can be found at: https://github.com/brgl/libgpiod
> >
> > Cool thing. thanks! One bug found:
> > https://github.com/brgl/libgpiod/blob/master/src/tools/gpiomon.c#L31
> >
> > shortopts is missing 's' so the following occurs:
> >> gpiomon -l -r -s --num-events=1 gpiochip2 1
> >> gpiomon: invalid option -- 's'
> >> gpiomon: try gpiomon --help
> >>
> >> gpiomon -l -r --silent --num-events=1 gpiochip2 1
> >
> > works as expected
>
> Thanks, fixed in git.

Thanks, also for defines of GPIOHANDLE_REQUEST_INPUT and friends you actually
need kernel headers >=4.8. README.md says >=4.7

Best regards,
Alexander

From: Alexander Stein @ 2017-01-19 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bartosz Golaszewski
  Cc: Linus Walleij, Lars-Peter Clausen, linux-gpio, Jonathan Cameron,

@ 2017-01-19 14:59           ` Bartosz Golaszewski
From: Bartosz Golaszewski @ 2017-01-19 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Stein
  Cc: Linus Walleij, Lars-Peter Clausen, linux-gpio, Jonathan Cameron,
	Geert Uytterhoeven, Alexandre Courbot, linux-iio

<alexander.stein@systec-electronic.com>:
> On Thursday 19 January 2017 15:12:43, Bartosz Golaszewski wrote:
>>
>> <alexander.stein@systec-electronic.com>:
>> > Hi,

>> > Cool thing. thanks! One bug found:
>> > https://github.com/brgl/libgpiod/blob/master/src/tools/gpiomon.c#L31
>> >
>> > shortopts is missing 's' so the following occurs:

>> > works as expected
>>
>> Thanks, fixed in git.
>
> Thanks, also for defines of GPIOHANDLE_REQUEST_INPUT and friends you actually
> need kernel headers >=4.8. README.md says >=4.7

Fixed as well. Would you mind opening a github issue in the future to
keep track of issues?

Thanks,
Bartosz Golaszewski