* CentOS/Kernel 3.18.4/Thunderbolt2
@ 2015-01-29 19:46 Israel Brewster
From: Israel Brewster @ 2015-01-29 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pci

My company recently purchased and installed a new SuperMicro server with a Thunderbolt 2 (Falcon Ridge) card installed, specifically an AOC-TBT-DSL5320. I then installed CentOS 6, and, since to my understanding thunderbolt support is only in more recent kernels, I went ahead and upgraded the kernel to version 3.18.4 from ElRepo. However, I have not seen any indication yet that Thunderbolt is working - although I may just not be looking in the right place. Over on Google+ Greg Kroah-Hartman indicated that I need the PCI hot plug controller driver enabled, and Matthew Garrett indicated that I specifically need the ACPI PCI hotplug driver rather than the native PCIe hotplug driver. To check, I ran the following command:

egrep -i HOTPLUG /boot/config-3.18.4-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64

Which returned the following potentially relevant results:

CONFIG_ACPI_HOTPLUG_CPU=y
CONFIG_ACPI_HOTPLUG_MEMORY=y
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_PCIE=y
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI=y

but also the following:

# CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI is not set
# CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_CPCI is not set

So perhaps that's the entire problem - that CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI is not set? If so, what's going to be the easiest solution? I'm willing to try recompiling the kernel, if someone could point me to a good guide, but I haven't done so before (at least, not on Linux. I've re-compiled the kernel on OpenBSD many times).

Israel Brewster
Systems Analyst II
Ravn Alaska
5245 Airport Industrial Rd