* CentOS/Kernel 3.18.4/Thunderbolt2
@ 2015-01-29 19:46 Israel Brewster
From: Israel Brewster @ 2015-01-29 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pci

My company recently purchased and installed a new SuperMicro server with a Thunderbolt 2 (Falcon Ridge) card installed, specifically an AOC-TBT-DSL5320. I then installed CentOS 6, and, since to my understanding thunderbolt support is only in more recent kernels, I went ahead and upgraded the kernel to version 3.18.4 from ElRepo. However, I have not seen any indication yet that Thunderbolt is working - although I may just not be looking in the right place. Over on Google+ Greg Kroah-Hartman indicated that I need the PCI hot plug controller driver enabled, and Matthew Garrett indicated that I specifically need the ACPI PCI hotplug driver rather than the native PCIe hotplug driver. To check, I ran the following command:

egrep -i HOTPLUG /boot/config-3.18.4-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64

Which returned the following potentially relevant results:

CONFIG_ACPI_HOTPLUG_CPU=y
CONFIG_ACPI_HOTPLUG_MEMORY=y
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_PCIE=y
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI=y

but also the following:

# CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI is not set
# CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_CPCI is not set

So perhaps that's the entire problem - that CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI is not set? If so, what's going to be the easiest solution? I'm willing to try recompiling the kernel, if someone could point me to a good guide, but I haven't done so before (at least, not on Linux. I've re-compiled the kernel on OpenBSD many times).

Israel Brewster
Systems Analyst II
Ravn Alaska
5245 Airport Industrial Rd
Fairbanks, AK 99709
(907) 450-7293

[-- Attachment #2: Israel Brewster.vcf --]
[-- Type: text/directory; name="Israel Brewster.vcf", Size: 430 bytes --]

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
N:Brewster;Israel;;;
FN:Israel Brewster
ORG:Frontier Flying Service;MIS
TITLE:PC Support Tech II
EMAIL;type=INTERNET;type=WORK;type=pref:israel@frontierflying.com
TEL;type=WORK;type=pref:907-450-7293
item1.ADR;type=WORK;type=pref:;;5245 Airport Industrial Wy;Fairbanks;AK;99701;
item1.X-ABADR:us
CATEGORIES:General
X-ABUID:36305438-95EA-4410-91AB-45D16CABCDDC\:ABPerson
END:VCARD

* Re: CentOS/Kernel 3.18.4/Thunderbolt2
@ 2015-01-29 20:05 ` Bjorn Helgaas
From: Bjorn Helgaas @ 2015-01-29 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Israel Brewster; +Cc: linux-pci

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 1:46 PM, Israel Brewster <israel@ravnalaska.net> wrote:
> My company recently purchased and installed a new SuperMicro server with a Thunderbolt 2 (Falcon Ridge) card installed, specifically an AOC-TBT-DSL5320. I then installed CentOS 6, and, since to my understanding thunderbolt support is only in more recent kernels, I went ahead and upgraded the kernel to version 3.18.4 from ElRepo. However, I have not seen any indication yet that Thunderbolt is working - although I may just not be looking in the right place. Over on Google+ Greg Kroah-Hartman indicated that I need the PCI hot plug controller driver enabled, and Matthew Garrett indicated that I specifically need the ACPI PCI hotplug driver rather than the native PCIe hotplug driver. To check, I ran the following command:
>
> egrep -i HOTPLUG /boot/config-3.18.4-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64
>
> Which returned the following potentially relevant results:
>
> CONFIG_ACPI_HOTPLUG_CPU=y
> CONFIG_ACPI_HOTPLUG_MEMORY=y
> CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_PCIE=y
> CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI=y
>
> but also the following:
>
> # CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI is not set
> # CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_CPCI is not set
>
> So perhaps that's the entire problem - that CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI is not set? If so, what's going to be the easiest solution?

Yep, if you need the ACPI PCI hotplug driver, CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI
should be enabled.  I think you should be able to use "make
menuconfig" to enable it at:

  Bus options
    Support for PCI Hotplug
      ACPI PCI Hotplug driver

I'm not  RedHat/CentOS person, so I don't know the distro details, but
I would try "make install" as a starting point.

* Re: CentOS/Kernel 3.18.4/Thunderbolt2
@ 2015-01-29 21:20   ` Israel Brewster
From: Israel Brewster @ 2015-01-29 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bjorn Helgaas; +Cc: linux-pci

On Jan 29, 2015, at 11:05 AM, Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 1:46 PM, Israel Brewster <israel@ravnalaska.net> wrote:
>> My company recently purchased and installed a new SuperMicro server with a Thunderbolt 2 (Falcon Ridge) card installed, specifically an AOC-TBT-DSL5320. I then installed CentOS 6, and, since to my understanding thunderbolt support is only in more recent kernels, I went ahead and upgraded the kernel to version 3.18.4 from ElRepo. However, I have not seen any indication yet that Thunderbolt is working - although I may just not be looking in the right place. Over on Google+ Greg Kroah-Hartman indicated that I need the PCI hot plug controller driver enabled, and Matthew Garrett indicated that I specifically need the ACPI PCI hotplug driver rather than the native PCIe hotplug driver. To check, I ran the following command:
>>
>> egrep -i HOTPLUG /boot/config-3.18.4-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64
>>
>> Which returned the following potentially relevant results:
>>
>> CONFIG_ACPI_HOTPLUG_CPU=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_HOTPLUG_MEMORY=y
>> CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_PCIE=y
>> CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI=y
>>
>> but also the following:
>>
>> # CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI is not set
>> # CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_CPCI is not set
>>
>> So perhaps that's the entire problem - that CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI is not set? If so, what's going to be the easiest solution?
>
> Yep, if you need the ACPI PCI hotplug driver, CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI
> should be enabled.  I think you should be able to use "make
> menuconfig" to enable it at:
>
>  Bus options
>    Support for PCI Hotplug
>      ACPI PCI Hotplug driver
>
> I'm not  RedHat/CentOS person, so I don't know the distro details, but
> I would try "make install" as a starting point.

Well, I went ahead and downloaded the 3.18.4 source, copied my current config, ran make menuconfig, and enabled that option. Then I ran make rpm, which gave me a RPM that I installed and was able to boot from. However, while I do see the ACPI PCI Hotplug driver loading in the DMESG, I still don't see any indication of the thunderbolt controller or the drive I plugged in.

Is there any chance I'm just being stupid here? That things ARE working, but are identified differently than I am expecting, so I don't see them?

Israel Brewster
Systems Analyst II
Ravn Alaska
5245 Airport Industrial Rd
Fairbanks, AK 99709
(907) 450-7293

* RE: CentOS/Kernel 3.18.4/Thunderbolt2
@ 2015-01-29 22:05     ` Allan, Bruce W
From: Allan, Bruce W @ 2015-01-29 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Israel Brewster, Bjorn Helgaas; +Cc: linux-pci

Not necessarily.  Is this a plug-in controller or on the mobo?  If the latter, does your system BIOS show any Thunderbolt security options, and if so, what is it set to?

* Re: CentOS/Kernel 3.18.4/Thunderbolt2
@ 2015-01-29 22:15       ` Israel Brewster
From: Israel Brewster @ 2015-01-29 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allan, Bruce W; +Cc: Bjorn Helgaas, linux-pci

On Jan 29, 2015, at 1:05 PM, Allan, Bruce W <bruce.w.allan@intel.com> wrote:

> [...]

Plug in controller that came with the motherboard, specifically an AOC-TBT-DSL5320. Plugs into PCI slot 6 and has a cable running to the GPIO headers on the motherboard as well. It does have a section in the bios with a number of settings, such as enabled and whether or not to ignore the Option ROM, but I don't see anything about security there.

Israel Brewster
Systems Analyst II
Ravn Alaska
5245 Airport Industrial Rd