* spear_adc driver help needed ?
@ 2017-05-18  7:41 Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2017-05-18  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Cameron; +Cc: linux-iio

Hello Jonathan,

I've been working on a SPEAr600 platform recently, which uses the
spear_adc driver, and was about to start working on moving the driver
out of staging... only to discover in 4.12-rc1 that you already moved
it out of staging.

In the commit log that moves it out of staging, you're saying:

    There are some unanswered questions due to disagreements between the code
    and various datasheets (including between different datasheets for the same
    part).

    I don't think that is necessarily a reason to keep it in staging however.
    I'm partly posting this patch inorder to reignite debate and with a bit
    of luck find someone who has one of these to test!

What are the unanswered questions you are talking about?

Also, I am currently using the driver on a SPEAr600 device, so I can do
some testing.

The driver has support for the SPEAr3xx, but it isn't used anywhere:
there is no compatible string for it, and nowhere is old-style probing
used for "spear-adc".

So I'm thinking of:

 - Dropping SPEAr3xx support, because it's unused. This will also
   remove the ugly checks done on the compatible string all over the
   place.

 - Moving to a "base + offset" style of register accesses, rather than
   the struct-based accesses.

What do you think ?

Best regards,

Thomas