* [Xenomai-help] Porting xenomai on uclinux
@ 2009-02-08 22:22 Ghanem Lafi
From: Ghanem Lafi @ 2009-02-08 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hello,

It is my first time with xenomai and i  have to port xenomai on
uclinux on the first step.
Then i ask about the compatible version of xenomai and uclinux and the
version of linux kernel if it is necessary.

After, the second step is to load the result image on arm processor.
Then i ask about the cross compiler compatible with my work.

I would appreciate comments and suggestions. If this is already
discussed somewhere else then I would be grateful if you could point me
in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Ghanem

* Re: [Xenomai-help] Porting xenomai on uclinux
@ 2009-02-09 15:29 ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2009-02-09 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ghanem Lafi; +Cc: xenomai

Ghanem Lafi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It is my first time with xenomai and i  have to port xenomai on
> uclinux on the first step.
> Then i ask about the compatible version of xenomai and uclinux and the
> version of linux kernel if it is necessary.

Xenomai should not care much about whether uclinux or linux is used,
since at least one port exists of xenomai over an architecture using
uclinux (blackfin).

Now, for the specific case of ARM, the uclinux patch for ARM is no
longer published since some part of it have started to been merged into
the mainline linux, but since not all of it has been merged, uclinux is
not yet selectable in the mainline linux kernel configuration. So
basically, I do not know. You should probably ask to the uclinux/arm
maintainers/mailing list (you can find information on this site:
http://opensrc.sec.samsung.com/profile.html) for the way of having
uclinux on arm with a recent kernel.

In any case, when you have a working uclinux, you can apply the I-pipe
patch for that kernel, and start seeing what happens when you enable
both I-pipe and uclinux. Normally, nothing wrong should happen, but I
would not been surprised if a few #ifdef CONFIG_MMU are missing in the
I-pipe patch.

> After, the second step is to load the result image on arm processor.
> Then i ask about the cross compiler compatible with my work.

Look at linux and uclinux to see what compiler are recommended. On ARM,
I would recommend to avoid gcc 4.3.2 since it has a severe bug related
with inline assembly.

--
                                                 Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai-help] Porting xenomai on uclinux
@ 2009-02-11  9:48   ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2009-02-11  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ghanem Lafi; +Cc: xenomai

Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> Ghanem Lafi wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> It is my first time with xenomai and i  have to port xenomai on
>> uclinux on the first step.
>> Then i ask about the compatible version of xenomai and uclinux and the
>> version of linux kernel if it is necessary.
>
> Xenomai should not care much about whether uclinux or linux is used,
> since at least one port exists of xenomai over an architecture using
> uclinux (blackfin).
>
> Now, for the specific case of ARM, the uclinux patch for ARM is no
> longer published since some part of it have started to been merged into
> the mainline linux, but since not all of it has been merged, uclinux is
> not yet selectable in the mainline linux kernel configuration. So
> basically, I do not know. You should probably ask to the uclinux/arm
> maintainers/mailing list (you can find information on this site:
> http://opensrc.sec.samsung.com/profile.html) for the way of having
> uclinux on arm with a recent kernel.

I missed it, but a uclinux patch exists for a reasonably recent kernel
version containing support for ARM:
http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/uClinux-2.6.x/linux-2.6.25-uc0-big.patch.gz

You can start from that.

--