* GRUB
@ 2009-09-11 13:49 Denic Sinisa
From: Denic Sinisa @ 2009-09-11 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-devel

I have a problem compiling grub-0.97 wiht reiser4 patch
There are objplug and plug_call undefined functions
Any idea ?
Thanks, Sinisa
--
Яндекс.Почта. Письма есть. Спама - нет. http://mail.yandex.ru/nospam/sign

* Re: GRUB
@ 2009-09-12 20:12 ` Christian Kujau
From: Christian Kujau @ 2009-09-12 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denic Sinisa; +Cc: reiserfs-devel

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 at 17:49, Denic Sinisa wrote:
> I have a problem compiling grub-0.97 wiht reiser4 patch
> There are objplug and plug_call undefined functions
> Any idea ?

Which problem, exactly? (hint: post error messages....)

Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #11:

magnetic interference from money/credit cards

* Re: GRUB
@ 2009-09-12 20:39 ` Edward Shishkin
From: Edward Shishkin @ 2009-09-12 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denic Sinisa; +Cc: reiserfs-devel

Denic Sinisa wrote:
> I have a problem compiling grub-0.97 wiht reiser4 patch
> There are objplug and plug_call undefined functions
> Any idea ?

Please, make sure that all needed libraries are installed.

Thanks,
Edward.

* Re: GRUB
@ 2002-11-25 10:09 ` Henrik Nordstrom
From: Henrik Nordstrom @ 2002-11-25 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Smit; +Cc: linux-mtd

If you used doc_loadbios to install GRUB and the binary partition
(before the NFTL disk on the flash) was smaller than your GRUB image
then doc_loadbios overwrote the NFTL table of the DOC flash.

The safest way to install the GRUB "bios" on a DOC is to use mSys
DFORMAT 5.x from DOS. But this requires a version of the GRUB DOC patch
which is compatible with DFORMAT 5.x (there is a small undocumented
difference in the NFTL header between DFORMAT 4.x and 5.x). The
grub-2002-10-08-doc.patch should work I think. Earlier GRUB patches
won't work.

The alternative way is to use doc_loadbios and nftl_format from Linux
but you will then need to calculate all the offsets manually IIRC, and
there reportedly is critical issues if you have the NFTL Linux driver
loaded while doing this.

Regards
Henrik

fre 2002-11-22 klockan 16.21 skrev Erik Smit:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I just installed grub-0.92 on a DOC Millenium, however this appears to have
> overwritten the original partition table:
>
> Could not find valid boot record
> Could not mount NFTL device
>
> Since the documentation states "DO NOT EVER USE THE nftl_format UTILITY
> WITHOUT FIRST SEEKING ADVICE ON THE MAILING LIST. It will erase all blocks
> on the device, potentially losing the factory-programmed information about
> bad blocks. (Someone really ought to fix it one of these days - ed)", what
> should I do?
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Erik Smit

* GRUB
@ 2002-11-22 15:21 Erik Smit
From: Erik Smit @ 2002-11-22 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

Hi Everybody,

I just installed grub-0.92 on a DOC Millenium, however this appears to have
overwritten the original partition table:

Could not find valid boot record
Could not mount NFTL device

Since the documentation states "DO NOT EVER USE THE nftl_format UTILITY
WITHOUT FIRST SEEKING ADVICE ON THE MAILING LIST. It will erase all blocks
on the device, potentially losing the factory-programmed information about
bad blocks. (Someone really ought to fix it one of these days - ed)", what
should I do?

Thanks in Advance,

Erik Smit

* Re: Grub
@ 2001-05-29  8:24 ` David Woodhouse
From: David Woodhouse @ 2001-05-29  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Cox; +Cc: linux-mtd

DCox@microbits.com.au said:
> There is no patch for .5.96 and I cant find grub .5.97!

There appears to be a 'grub-0.5.96-doc.patch' in my working directory. I've
committed it.

0.5.97 is what the current CVS version is called, I think.

> However even with the --enable-diskonchip option for ./configure, root
> (dc0) does not work - selected disk does not exist! For now I am
> running from a hard disk (hd0).

Does it even print the messages about probing for a DiskOnChip?

DCox@microbits.com.au said:
>  Once the firmware is installed, the following appears
>   Could not find valid boot record
>   Could not mount NFTL device

Argh. I've been seeing a lot of that recently. Something in the sanity
checks is failing. I'll put some more verbose messages in.

DCox@microbits.com.au said:
>  nftl_format works but removes the firmware.

Give it an offset and it'll skip the firmware.
	nftl_format /dev/mtd0 49152

DCox@microbits.com.au said:
>  How can I get the firmware installed along with a formatted
> partition?

If you mean the original firmware, then you have to do that from DOS with
DFORMAT. If you mean Grub, then install Grub as before (having fixed it)
and then use nftl_format with an offset of (IIRC) 65536.

DCox@microbits.com.au said:
>  How can I access the DOC device from Grub?

The Grub support was never 100% completed. It worked to a certain extent but
wasn't reliable. I never got time to debug it, although it should be
relatively simple. It seemed that the first time you read a sector it would
return incorrect data. The next time it would work. So repeating the
'kernel=' command a few times till Grub stopped complaining about errors,
and then booting, worked.

>  Does JFFS work with the DOC? I read the archive and it was recently
> mentioned that it does not work.

The DiskOnChip hardware driver only accepts write requests of a single
page. It needs to be fixed to allow larger writes - to loop till it's done.
At that point, you should be able to use JFFS on it, although you only have
error detection, not error _correction_. The ideal solution is to add the
planned ECC support to JFFS2 and use that.

--
dwmw2

* Grub
@ 2001-05-29  7:38 Daniel Cox
From: Daniel Cox @ 2001-05-29  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

Hi,

I am trying to use Grub on a DOC2000.

Using Kernel 2.4.5 and MTD from 28May.
Grub 0.5.95 from (www.gnu.org/software/grub) with both patches -doc & -doc-boot applied.
There is no patch for .5.96 and I cant find grub .5.97!

I have built the grub_firmware and installed with doc_loadbios - Grub loads correctly on rebooting.
However even with the --enable-diskonchip option for ./configure, root (dc0) does not work - selected disk does not exist!
For now I am running from a hard disk (hd0).

Once the firmware is installed, the following appears
  Could not find valid boot record
  Could not mount NFTL device

nftl_format works but removes the firmware.

How can I get the firmware installed along with a formatted partition?

How can I access the DOC device from Grub?

Does JFFS work with the DOC? I read the archive and it was recently mentioned that it does not work.

Thanks for your help.
Daniel.

* GRUB
@ 2001-04-09 19:26 Carson, Jon A.
From: Carson, Jon A. @ 2001-04-09 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'mtd@infradead.org'

HI,

I am having a "heck" of a time getting Grub going.  I am using Grub Version
0.5.96.

I tried to see if there was anything more recent , but GNU's web page took
me around in circles.

If this is the wrong version, could someone please point me to the "good
stuff".

QUESTION: Should the file "grub_firmware" be more than 78k ?

Thanks
Jon C.
ADDCO Inc.

* GRUB
@ 2001-04-05 21:00 Chris Robson
From: Chris Robson @ 2001-04-05 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtd

Hello,
	I working on booting DOC 2000 using grub.   Does anyone have an
example menu.lst for booting for a DOC.  I guess what I looking for is
the name of the device.  ie (hd0,0).  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Chris Robson
Phocus Systems, Inc.