* KVM Call agenda for July 13th
@ 2010-07-12 14:57 ` Juan Quintela
From: Juan Quintela @ 2010-07-12 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel, kvm-devel

Please send in any agenda items you are interested in covering.

Thanks, Juan.

* [Qemu-devel] KVM Call agenda for July 13th
@ 2010-07-12 14:57 ` Juan Quintela
From: Juan Quintela @ 2010-07-12 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel, kvm-devel

Please send in any agenda items you are interested in covering.

Thanks, Juan.

* Re: KVM Call agenda for July 13th
@ 2010-07-12 21:57   ` Chris Wright
From: Chris Wright @ 2010-07-12 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Quintela; +Cc: qemu-devel, kvm-devel

* Juan Quintela (quintela@redhat.com) wrote:

> Please send in any agenda items you are interested in covering.

0.13 ;-)

* [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM Call agenda for July 13th
@ 2010-07-12 21:57   ` Chris Wright
From: Chris Wright @ 2010-07-12 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Quintela; +Cc: qemu-devel, kvm-devel

@ 2010-07-12 22:07     ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2010-07-12 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Wright; +Cc: Juan Quintela, qemu-devel, kvm-devel

On 07/12/2010 04:57 PM, Chris Wright wrote:
> * Juan Quintela (quintela@redhat.com) wrote:
>
>> Please send in any agenda items you are interested in covering.
>>
> 0.13 ;-)

- vCPU limits; how much testing has anyone done of 64-way guests?
- Finding a way to enable virtio by default; any clever ideas?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

From: Anthony Liguori @ 2010-07-12 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Wright; +Cc: qemu-devel, kvm-devel, Juan Quintela

@ 2010-07-12 22:08       ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2010-07-12 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Wright; +Cc: Juan Quintela, qemu-devel, kvm-devel

On 07/12/2010 05:07 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On 07/12/2010 04:57 PM, Chris Wright wrote:
>> * Juan Quintela (quintela@redhat.com) wrote:
>>> Please send in any agenda items you are interested in covering.
>> 0.13 ;-)
>
> - vCPU limits; how much testing has anyone done of 64-way guests?
> - Finding a way to enable virtio by default; any clever ideas?

Both of these are really in the category of, getting good performance
out of KVM when running it as a casual user (like via virt-manager).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

From: Anthony Liguori @ 2010-07-12 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Wright; +Cc: qemu-devel, kvm-devel, Juan Quintela

@ 2010-07-13  4:37   ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2010-07-13  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Quintela; +Cc: qemu-devel, kvm-devel

On 07/12/2010 05:57 PM, Juan Quintela wrote:
> Please send in any agenda items you are interested in covering.

0.12.n+1

signature is too narrow to contain.

From: Avi Kivity @ 2010-07-13  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Quintela; +Cc: qemu-devel, kvm-devel

@ 2010-07-13  4:38         ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2010-07-13  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: Chris Wright, Juan Quintela, qemu-devel, kvm-devel

On 07/13/2010 01:08 AM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On 07/12/2010 05:07 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>>> 0.13 ;-)
>>
>> - vCPU limits; how much testing has anyone done of 64-way guests?
>> - Finding a way to enable virtio by default; any clever ideas?
>
> Both of these are really in the category of, getting good performance
> out of KVM when running it as a casual user (like via virt-manager).

Casual users starting 64-way guests?

From: Avi Kivity @ 2010-07-13  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: Chris Wright, qemu-devel, kvm-devel, Juan Quintela

@ 2010-07-13  6:31   ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2010-07-13  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Quintela; +Cc: qemu-devel, kvm-devel

On 07/12/2010 05:57 PM, Juan Quintela wrote:
> Please send in any agenda items you are interested in covering.

kvm testsuite

From: Avi Kivity @ 2010-07-13  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Quintela; +Cc: qemu-devel, kvm-devel

On 07/12/2010 05:57 PM, Juan Quintela wrote:
> Please send in any agenda items you are interested in covering.

kvm testsuite

signature is too narrow to contain.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM Call agenda for July 13th
@ 2010-07-13  6:57     ` Aurelien Jarno
From: Aurelien Jarno @ 2010-07-13  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: Juan Quintela, qemu-devel, kvm-devel

Avi Kivity a écrit :
> On 07/12/2010 05:57 PM, Juan Quintela wrote:
>> Please send in any agenda items you are interested in covering.
>>

> 0.12.n+1

I won't be at the KVM call, but I can work on that in the next days.

Basically the stable tree already contains a lot of fixes and we can do
a call for patches for this release. One week should be enough, so that
we can have the release at the end of next week (a few technical days
are needed in addition).

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73

From: Aurelien Jarno @ 2010-07-13  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: qemu-devel, kvm-devel, Juan Quintela

@ 2010-07-13  7:40       ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2010-07-13  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurelien Jarno; +Cc: Juan Quintela, qemu-devel, kvm-devel

On 07/13/2010 09:57 AM, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> Avi Kivity a écrit :
>
>> On 07/12/2010 05:57 PM, Juan Quintela wrote:
>>
>>> Please send in any agenda items you are interested in covering.
>>>

>> 0.12.n+1
>>

> I won't be at the KVM call, but I can work on that in the next days.
>
> Basically the stable tree already contains a lot of fixes and we can do
> a call for patches for this release. One week should be enough, so that
> we can have the release at the end of next week (a few technical days
> are needed in addition).

Thanks.

I'd like to see more frequent stable releases, at least if the stable
branch contains fixes to user-reported bugs (or of course security or
data integrity fixes).

From: Avi Kivity @ 2010-07-13  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurelien Jarno; +Cc: qemu-devel, kvm-devel, Juan Quintela

@ 2010-07-13 14:03           ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2010-07-13 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: Chris Wright, Juan Quintela, qemu-devel, kvm-devel

On 07/12/2010 11:38 PM, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 07/13/2010 01:08 AM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>>>
>>> - vCPU limits; how much testing has anyone done of 64-way guests?
>>> - Finding a way to enable virtio by default; any clever ideas?
>>
>> Both of these are really in the category of, getting good performance
>> out of KVM when running it as a casual user (like via virt-manager).
>
> Casual users starting 64-way guests?

A 4-socket octal core is 32 physical cores or 64 threads.  That's not a
super high end system today and it's going to approach mid-range in the
not too distant future.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

From: Anthony Liguori @ 2010-07-13 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: Chris Wright, qemu-devel, kvm-devel, Juan Quintela

@ 2010-07-13 14:08         ` Luiz Capitulino
From: Luiz Capitulino @ 2010-07-13 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: Aurelien Jarno, qemu-devel, kvm-devel, Juan Quintela

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:40:40 +0300
Avi Kivity <avi@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 07/13/2010 09:57 AM, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > Avi Kivity a écrit :

> >> 0.12.n+1
> >>

> > I won't be at the KVM call, but I can work on that in the next days.
> >
> > Basically the stable tree already contains a lot of fixes and we can do
> > a call for patches for this release. One week should be enough, so that
> > we can have the release at the end of next week (a few technical days
> > are needed in addition).
> >

> Thanks.
>
> I'd like to see more frequent stable releases, at least if the stable
> branch contains fixes to user-reported bugs (or of course security or
> data integrity fixes).

I remember someone has stepped in to take that work, but I don't exactly
remember who.

From: Luiz Capitulino @ 2010-07-13 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: Juan Quintela, qemu-devel, Aurelien Jarno, kvm-devel

@ 2010-07-13 15:03           ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2010-07-13 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luiz Capitulino; +Cc: Aurelien Jarno, qemu-devel, kvm-devel, Juan Quintela

On 07/13/2010 05:08 PM, Luiz Capitulino wrote:

>> I'd like to see more frequent stable releases, at least if the stable
>> branch contains fixes to user-reported bugs (or of course security or
>> data integrity fixes).
>>
> I remember someone has stepped in to take that work, but I don't exactly
> remember who.

He doesn't either, presumably.

From: Avi Kivity @ 2010-07-13 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luiz Capitulino; +Cc: Juan Quintela, qemu-devel, Aurelien Jarno, kvm-devel

@ 2010-07-13 16:57         ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2010-07-13 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: Aurelien Jarno, Juan Quintela, qemu-devel, kvm-devel

On 07/13/2010 02:40 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 07/13/2010 09:57 AM, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
>> Avi Kivity a écrit :
>>>>

>>> 0.12.n+1
>>>
>> I won't be at the KVM call, but I can work on that in the next days.
>>
>> Basically the stable tree already contains a lot of fixes and we can do
>> a call for patches for this release. One week should be enough, so that
>> we can have the release at the end of next week (a few technical days
>> are needed in addition).
>
> Thanks.
>
> I'd like to see more frequent stable releases, at least if the stable
> branch contains fixes to user-reported bugs (or of course security or
> data integrity fixes).

Would you like to see more frequent stable releases or more frequent
master releases?

The later is a bit easier since it doesn't involve maintaining and
testing two code bases.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

From: Anthony Liguori @ 2010-07-13 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: kvm-devel, qemu-devel, Aurelien Jarno, Juan Quintela

@ 2010-07-13 17:01           ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2010-07-13 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: Aurelien Jarno, Juan Quintela, qemu-devel, kvm-devel

On 07/13/2010 07:57 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>> I'd like to see more frequent stable releases, at least if the stable
>> branch contains fixes to user-reported bugs (or of course security or
>> data integrity fixes).
>

> Would you like to see more frequent stable releases or more frequent
> master releases?

Yes.  But in this context I'm interested in stable releases.  We have
bugs reported, fixed, and the fix applied, yet the fixes are unreachable
to users.

From: Avi Kivity @ 2010-07-13 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: kvm-devel, qemu-devel, Aurelien Jarno, Juan Quintela

@ 2010-07-13 17:19             ` Brian Jackson
From: Brian Jackson @ 2010-07-13 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel
  Cc: Avi Kivity, Anthony Liguori, kvm-devel, Aurelien Jarno, Juan Quintela

On Tuesday, July 13, 2010 12:01:22 pm Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 07/13/2010 07:57 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> >> I'd like to see more frequent stable releases, at least if the stable
> >> branch contains fixes to user-reported bugs (or of course security or
> >> data integrity fixes).
> >
> > Would you like to see more frequent stable releases or more frequent
> > master releases?
>
> Yes.  But in this context I'm interested in stable releases.  We have
> bugs reported, fixed, and the fix applied, yet the fixes are unreachable
> to users.

Especially so since qemu-kvm 0.12-stable hasn't been merged with qemu
basically since 0.12.4 came out. I was trying to help one of the Gentoo
maintainers find post 0.12.4 patches the other day and had to point them to
the upstream qemu stable tree.

From: Brian Jackson @ 2010-07-13 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: Aurelien Jarno, Juan Quintela, Avi Kivity, kvm-devel

@ 2010-07-13 17:48               ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2010-07-13 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Jackson
  Cc: qemu-devel, Anthony Liguori, kvm-devel, Aurelien Jarno, Juan Quintela

On 07/13/2010 08:19 PM, Brian Jackson wrote:

>> Yes.  But in this context I'm interested in stable releases.  We have
>> bugs reported, fixed, and the fix applied, yet the fixes are unreachable
>> to users.
>>
> Especially so since qemu-kvm 0.12-stable hasn't been merged with qemu
> basically since 0.12.4 came out. I was trying to help one of the Gentoo
> maintainers find post 0.12.4 patches the other day and had to point them to
> the upstream qemu stable tree.

An email should suffice to get things merged.

From: Avi Kivity @ 2010-07-13 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Jackson; +Cc: Aurelien Jarno, Juan Quintela, qemu-devel, kvm-devel

@ 2010-07-15 18:43               ` Justin M. Forbes
From: Justin M. Forbes @ 2010-07-15 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Jackson
  Cc: qemu-devel, Avi Kivity, Anthony Liguori, kvm-devel,
	Aurelien Jarno, Juan Quintela

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:19:21PM -0500, Brian Jackson wrote:

> > > Would you like to see more frequent stable releases or more frequent
> > > master releases?
> >
> > Yes.  But in this context I'm interested in stable releases.  We have
> > bugs reported, fixed, and the fix applied, yet the fixes are unreachable
> > to users.
>
> Especially so since qemu-kvm 0.12-stable hasn't been merged with qemu
> basically since 0.12.4 came out. I was trying to help one of the Gentoo
> maintainers find post 0.12.4 patches the other day and had to point them to
> the upstream qemu stable tree.

I have offered to take care of this, but so far I do not have commit
access.

Justin

From: Justin M. Forbes @ 2010-07-15 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Jackson
  Cc: kvm-devel, Juan Quintela, qemu-devel, Avi Kivity, Aurelien Jarno

@ 2010-07-15 18:51                 ` Aurelien Jarno
From: Aurelien Jarno @ 2010-07-15 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin M. Forbes
  Cc: Brian Jackson, kvm-devel, Juan Quintela, qemu-devel, Avi Kivity

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 01:43:28PM -0500, Justin M. Forbes wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:19:21PM -0500, Brian Jackson wrote:

> > > Yes.  But in this context I'm interested in stable releases.  We have
> > > bugs reported, fixed, and the fix applied, yet the fixes are unreachable
> > > to users.
> >
> > Especially so since qemu-kvm 0.12-stable hasn't been merged with qemu
> > basically since 0.12.4 came out. I was trying to help one of the Gentoo
> > maintainers find post 0.12.4 patches the other day and had to point them to
> > the upstream qemu stable tree.
>
> I have offered to take care of this, but so far I do not have commit
> access.

You don't necessarily need commit access for that. Just create your own
tree with backported patches, and then send a stable pull request to
the mailing list.

From: Aurelien Jarno @ 2010-07-15 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin M. Forbes
  Cc: Brian Jackson, Avi Kivity, qemu-devel, kvm-devel, Juan Quintela

@ 2010-07-15 18:54                   ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2010-07-15 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurelien Jarno
  Cc: Justin M. Forbes, Brian Jackson, kvm-devel, Juan Quintela,
	qemu-devel, Avi Kivity

On 07/15/2010 01:51 PM, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 01:43:28PM -0500, Justin M. Forbes wrote:

>>> Especially so since qemu-kvm 0.12-stable hasn't been merged with qemu
>>> basically since 0.12.4 came out. I was trying to help one of the Gentoo
>>> maintainers find post 0.12.4 patches the other day and had to point them to
>>> the upstream qemu stable tree.
>>>
>> I have offered to take care of this, but so far I do not have commit
>> access.
>>

> You don't necessarily need commit access for that. Just create your own
> tree with backported patches, and then send a stable pull request to
> the mailing list.

Precisely.  In the case of stable, that means watching the mailing list
and backporting patches as appropriate and periodically doing pull requests.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

From: Anthony Liguori @ 2010-07-15 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurelien Jarno
  Cc: Brian Jackson, kvm-devel, Juan Quintela, Justin M. Forbes,
	qemu-devel, Avi Kivity

On 07/15/2010 01:51 PM, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 01:43:28PM -0500, Justin M. Forbes wrote:

>>> Especially so since qemu-kvm 0.12-stable hasn't been merged with qemu
>>> basically since 0.12.4 came out. I was trying to help one of the Gentoo
>>> maintainers find post 0.12.4 patches the other day and had to point them to
>>> the upstream qemu stable tree.
>>>
>> I have offered to take care of this, but so far I do not have commit
>> access.
>>

> You don't necessarily need commit access for that. Just create your own
> tree with backported patches, and then send a stable pull request to
> the mailing list.

Precisely.  In the case of stable, that means watching the mailing list
and backporting patches as appropriate and periodically doing pull requests.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM Call agenda for July 13th
  (?)
  (?)
@ 2010-07-16 22:13   ` Artyom Tarasenko
From: Artyom Tarasenko @ 2010-07-16 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Wright; +Cc: qemu-devel

2010/7/12 Chris Wright <chrisw@sous-sol.org>:
> * Juan Quintela (quintela@redhat.com) wrote:
>>
>> Please send in any agenda items you are interested in covering.
>
> 0.13 ;-)

Is there a plan for it? Which way is it going to happen? Code freeze + rc[0-x]?

Artyom Tarasenko

solaris/sparc under qemu blog: http://tyom.blogspot.com/