* Extern dsp device
@ 2010-08-14 21:14 Christoph Kuhr
From: Christoph Kuhr @ 2010-08-14 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi everybody,

In my bachlor project im planing to realise an outboard fpga dsp
device connected by gbit ethernet and driven by alsa.

The idea:
computer system with linux rt kernel, extra gbit ethernet if and for
example rme hdsp 9652  audio if.
Outboard fpga with gbit if and DSP routines (PureD ata Engine?)

Now the fpga board is connected via gbit eth, the kernel gets it and
inserts the gbit ethernet card into the audio signal path.
Managed with and alsa driver, cooperating with the snd-rme9652.
With a gui sending OSC to the fpga board, controlling the dsp.

Goal: zero-latency routing and dsp

Do you think this strategy might work?

Ck

* Re: Extern dsp device
@ 2010-08-15 11:09 ` Florian Faber
From: Florian Faber @ 2010-08-15 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

On 08/14/10 23:14, Christoph Kuhr wrote:

> Goal: zero-latency routing and dsp

This is far from being zero latency. Why don't you connect the FPGA to
the ADAT ports where you can work with the audio data on a proper level.
You can still control the FPGA via Ethernet.

Besides, what would be the practical use of such a plug-in-device?

Flo
--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key DA43FEF4          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net

* Re: Extern dsp device
@ 2010-08-15 18:55   ` Christoph Kuhr
From: Christoph Kuhr @ 2010-08-15 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Faber; +Cc: alsa-devel

Hi,

The practical use would be the processing of the IOs of the soundcard
in live performances.

Ck