* [mlmmj] New mlmmj website and development
@ 2010-08-15 15:02 Ben Schmidt
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Ben Schmidt @ 2010-08-15 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Hi, everybody,

I'm pleased to announce that the new mlmmj website is up and running! I
encourage you to have a look at it. Anyone interested in having an
account to be able to help maintain it, please let me know! It's where
it's always been: http://mlmmj.org/

This includes a bug tracker. I will be adding bugs and feature requests
that I know about over the next few days, and I encourage others to do
so also. My next priority is working towards a release that includes
recently-implemented features as well as minor bug fixes, so I'm
interested in hearing about as many bugs as we know about. The tracker
is here: http://mlmmj.org/bugs

The mlmmj source code repository is also now available. I will be using
Mercurial as the 'official' source code control for the project. The
repository can be browsed online, or accessed through the Mercurial
commandline tools using this URL: http://mlmmj.org/hg/mlmmj

I know a number of people prefer git. Happily, using the hggit
extension, I should be able to interact losslessly with a git repository
with little trouble, and I am happy to try that. I seem to remember
someone volunteered a while back to set up a git repo. If you're still
keen, speak up again, and we'll see what we can work out!

Finally, if you're interested in seeing bugs and commits as they happen,
you can subscribe to new mailing lists bugs@mlmmj.org and
commits@mlmmj.org for this. This is detailed at: http://mlmmj.org/lists

I hope this new site and infrastructure will raise the profile of mlmmj,
help us keep on top of bug fixes and change requests, and attract more
users and developers to this great project.

A big thank-you to Wolf Bergenheim for generously hosting all this, and
for the time and effort he's put into setting it all up.

Happy hacking!

Ben.

* Re: [mlmmj] New mlmmj website and development
@ 2010-09-07 13:28 ` Mads Martin Jørgensen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mads Martin Jørgensen @ 2010-09-07 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Hello Ben and Wolf,

Sorry for this belated answer!

Nevertheless do I feel the need to pay my kudos for this work. It's
really great to see that you're taking care of our baby and the
infrastructure around it, so very well.

Thanks,
Mads Martin

--
Mads Martin Joergensen, http://mmj.dk
"Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic

* Re: [mlmmj] New mlmmj website and development
@ 2011-01-26 14:32 ` Richard Mortimer
From: Richard Mortimer @ 2011-01-26 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On 15/08/2010 16:02, Ben Schmidt wrote:
> Hi, everybody,
>
> I'm pleased to announce that the new mlmmj website is up and running! I
> encourage you to have a look at it. Anyone interested in having an
> account to be able to help maintain it, please let me know! It's where
> it's always been: http://mlmmj.org/
>
> This includes a bug tracker. I will be adding bugs and feature requests
> that I know about over the next few days, and I encourage others to do
> so also. My next priority is working towards a release that includes
> recently-implemented features as well as minor bug fixes, so I'm
> interested in hearing about as many bugs as we know about. The tracker
> is here: http://mlmmj.org/bugs

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your efforts. I've been using mlmmj for a while now and it
works pretty well. I have noticed a few little annoyances that I haven't
really followed up until now but I'd like to change that and help where
I can.

For instance yesterday I was trying to find an issue where I was not
getting notified of unsubscriptions due to bouncing. In the end it
turned out to be me having the wrong list control directory settings for
one of my lists. I'll try to take a look through my notebook and see if
I can come up with a list of these "annoyances".

However whilst I was looking for the cause of my problem I spent a bit
of time looking through mlmmj-maintd.c to trace what it was supposed to
be doing at each step. Whilst doing this I spotted a number of minor
issues in the mlmmj-maintd.c code.

With that in mind I would be grateful if you could let me know your
preferred way of working/review. I could just post the patches to the
mailing list (in hg email format). I'm a little concerned that testing
some of these changes is going to be difficult because they do involve a
number of corner cases that shouldn't happen in normal operation. Most
changes are fairly small however and IMHO they will add value to the
long term stability of mlmmj.

If patches are of interest and do prove useful I'll see if I can find
some time to review other parts of mlmmj over the next month or two.

Let me know your preferred way of working because I'm wary of sending a
chunk of patches to a mailing list unannounced.

Regards

Richard

* Re: [mlmmj] New mlmmj website and development
@ 2011-01-26 14:49 ` Mads Martin Jørgensen
From: Mads Martin Jørgensen @ 2011-01-26 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Richard Mortimer <richm@oldelvet.org.uk> wrote:
> If patches are of interest and do prove useful I'll see if I can find some
> time to review other parts of mlmmj over the next month or two

Patches would be great. As the original author of mlmmj, I often read
them and feel happy about all the nice work people are putting into
the project. And I know others like to peak at patches too :)

--
Mads Martin Joergensen, http://mmj.dk
"Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic
 and totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?"
                                 -- A. P. J.

* Re: [mlmmj] New mlmmj website and development
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-01-27  3:52 ` Ben Schmidt
From: Ben Schmidt @ 2011-01-27  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

> Hi Ben,
>
> Thanks for your efforts. I've been using mlmmj for a while now and it
> works pretty well. I have noticed a few little annoyances that I
> haven't really followed up until now but I'd like to change that and
> help where I can.

Help is always welcome.

> For instance yesterday I was trying to find an issue where I was not
> getting notified of unsubscriptions due to bouncing. In the end it
> turned out to be me having the wrong list control directory settings
> for one of my lists. I'll try to take a look through my notebook and
> see if I can come up with a list of these "annoyances".

Great. After I get 1.2.18 out the door, hopefully before much longer, I
want to focus on 'annoyances' for a bit, such as improving the error
reporting and logging, including reasons for unsubscriptions when
notification emails are sent, etc..

> However whilst I was looking for the cause of my problem I spent a bit
> of time looking through mlmmj-maintd.c to trace what it was supposed
> to be doing at each step. Whilst doing this I spotted a number of
> minor issues in the mlmmj-maintd.c code.
>
> With that in mind I would be grateful if you could let me know your
> preferred way of working/review. I could just post the patches to the
> mailing list (in hg email format).

Yep, just email them to the list or to me personally; just use your
judgement regarding which you think is best. If they are small changes,
I'm likely to whack them in the repo almost straight away, as I like to
get things into version control quickly. I just try to ensure that each
change has been looked at by two competent people and given at least
some amount of testing before it goes into a release candidate. If a
review requires changes to be made, which has to be in a new changeset,
it's no big deal!

I would recommend that any change which might be 'controversial' you
discuss on the mailing list. Or any change which will take you a lot of
time and effort. I don't want to waste your time by having you work on a
change that I don't want to commit for some reason.

> I'm a little concerned that testing
> some of these changes is going to be difficult because they do involve
> a number of corner cases that shouldn't happen in normal operation.

Another thing I will be doing after 1.2.18 is trying to set up some
automated testing. This will pave the way for making larger changes to
Mlmmj's architecture with more confidence that things aren't being
broken. Hopefully I will be able to simulate a lot of these corner
canses when I do that. So, even if we can't easily test them yet, let's
make a list of them, so we can write tests for them later without having
to remember what they are.

> Most changes are fairly small however and IMHO they will add value to
> the long term stability of mlmmj.

No bug is too small to fix. And to my mind, a program isn't stable if it
works most of the time. Most programs work most of the time. It's how
well a program works under pressure, when things around it start
breaking, and in the corner cases, that differentiates a stable program
from an unstable one.

> If patches are of interest and do prove useful I'll see if I can find
> some time to review other parts of mlmmj over the next month or two.

Thanks.

> Let me know your preferred way of working because I'm wary of sending
> a chunk of patches to a mailing list unannounced.
>
> Regards
>
> Richard

Smiles,

Ben.