* git tarballs gone?
@ 2011-02-10  1:13 Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2011-02-10  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Poky

I just noticed that with the new fetcher, git tarballs are
no longer being created.
   * Is this expected?
   * Can it be [re]enabled?  This is a great help to me so I
     can distribute pre-staged sources to my customers. Tarballs
     are much more convenient than .git repositories.

Thanks

* Re: git tarballs gone?
@ 2011-02-10  1:22 ` Saul Wold
From: Saul Wold @ 2011-02-10  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poky

On 02/09/2011 05:13 PM, Gary Thomas wrote:
> I just noticed that with the new fetcher, git tarballs are
> no longer being created.
> * Is this expected?
Not expected.

> * Can it be [re]enabled? This is a great help to me so I
> can distribute pre-staged sources to my customers. Tarballs
> are much more convenient than .git repositories.

I will be looking into this shortly.

Sau!

> Thanks

* Re: git tarballs gone?
@ 2011-02-10  1:37 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2011-02-10  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Poky

On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 18:13 -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:
> I just noticed that with the new fetcher, git tarballs are
> no longer being created.
>    * Is this expected?
>    * Can it be [re]enabled?  This is a great help to me so I
>      can distribute pre-staged sources to my customers. Tarballs
>      are much more convenient than .git repositories.

Its expected, just set BB_GENERATE_MIRROR_TARBALLS = "1" in local.conf
to generate them if you need them.

As standard the average user doesn't need/use/want them and the fetcher
no longer needs them so we don't generate them by default any more.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: git tarballs gone?
@ 2011-02-10 14:46   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2011-02-10 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: Poky

On 02/09/2011 06:37 PM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 18:13 -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:
>> I just noticed that with the new fetcher, git tarballs are
>> no longer being created.
>>     * Is this expected?
>>     * Can it be [re]enabled?  This is a great help to me so I
>>       can distribute pre-staged sources to my customers. Tarballs
>>       are much more convenient than .git repositories.
>
> Its expected, just set BB_GENERATE_MIRROR_TARBALLS = "1" in local.conf
> to generate them if you need them.
>
> As standard the average user doesn't need/use/want them and the fetcher
> no longer needs them so we don't generate them by default any more.

What would I need to do to get them generated?  Here's what I
tried (which did not work):

* I noticed that my build used git.pokylinux.org.matchbox-terminal, so

... set BB_GENERATE_MIRROR_TARBALLS in local.conf
% bitbake matchbox-terminal -c clean
% rm -f sstate-cache/*matchbox-terminal*
% bitbake matchbox-terminal

It seemed happy to use the stored GIT in downloads/git2/git.pokylinux.org.matchbox-terminal,
but did not generate a tarball during the process.

* Re: git tarballs gone?
@ 2011-02-10 15:13     ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2011-02-10 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Poky

On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 07:46 -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On 02/09/2011 06:37 PM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 18:13 -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:
> >> I just noticed that with the new fetcher, git tarballs are
> >> no longer being created.
> >>     * Is this expected?
> >>     * Can it be [re]enabled?  This is a great help to me so I
> >>       can distribute pre-staged sources to my customers. Tarballs
> >>       are much more convenient than .git repositories.
> >
> > Its expected, just set BB_GENERATE_MIRROR_TARBALLS = "1" in local.conf
> > to generate them if you need them.
> >
> > As standard the average user doesn't need/use/want them and the fetcher
> > no longer needs them so we don't generate them by default any more.
>
> What would I need to do to get them generated?  Here's what I
> tried (which did not work):
>
> * I noticed that my build used git.pokylinux.org.matchbox-terminal, so
>
> ... set BB_GENERATE_MIRROR_TARBALLS in local.conf
> % bitbake matchbox-terminal -c clean
> % rm -f sstate-cache/*matchbox-terminal*
> % bitbake matchbox-terminal
>
> It seemed happy to use the stored GIT in downloads/git2/git.pokylinux.org.matchbox-terminal,
> but did not generate a tarball during the process.

That download directory already existed? It only updates the tarball if
the repo changes:

        os.chdir(ud.clonedir)
        mirror_tarballs = data.getVar("BB_GENERATE_MIRROR_TARBALLS", d, True)
        if mirror_tarballs != "0" and ud.repochanged:
            logger.info("Creating tarball of git repository")
            runfetchcmd("tar -czf %s %s" % (repofile, os.path.join(".") ),

(from git.py in the fetcher)

I guess we could make it do this if the destination file doesn't exist
too, I'll add a patch to do that.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: git tarballs gone?
@ 2011-02-10 15:33       ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2011-02-10 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Poky

On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 15:13 +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 07:46 -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:
> > It seemed happy to use the stored GIT in downloads/git2/git.pokylinux.org.matchbox-terminal,
> > but did not generate a tarball during the process.
>
> That download directory already existed? It only updates the tarball if
> the repo changes:
>
>         os.chdir(ud.clonedir)
>         mirror_tarballs = data.getVar("BB_GENERATE_MIRROR_TARBALLS", d, True)
>         if mirror_tarballs != "0" and ud.repochanged:
>             logger.info("Creating tarball of git repository")
>             runfetchcmd("tar -czf %s %s" % (repofile, os.path.join(".") ),
>
> (from git.py in the fetcher)
>
> I guess we could make it do this if the destination file doesn't exist
> too, I'll add a patch to do that.

http://git.pokylinux.org/cgit.cgi/poky/commit/?id=59a08262aba2d2b9b8b299a2818fb4cfe13b9909

It turned out to be a bit more ugly than I'd anticipated but a nice
improvement.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: git tarballs gone?
@ 2011-02-10 15:40         ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2011-02-10 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: Poky

On 02/10/2011 08:33 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 15:13 +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:
>> On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 07:46 -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:
>>> It seemed happy to use the stored GIT in downloads/git2/git.pokylinux.org.matchbox-terminal,
>>> but did not generate a tarball during the process.
>>
>> That download directory already existed? It only updates the tarball if
>> the repo changes:
>>
>>          os.chdir(ud.clonedir)
>>          mirror_tarballs = data.getVar("BB_GENERATE_MIRROR_TARBALLS", d, True)
>>          if mirror_tarballs != "0" and ud.repochanged:
>>              logger.info("Creating tarball of git repository")
>>              runfetchcmd("tar -czf %s %s" % (repofile, os.path.join(".") ),
>>
>> (from git.py in the fetcher)
>>
>> I guess we could make it do this if the destination file doesn't exist
>> too, I'll add a patch to do that.
>
> http://git.pokylinux.org/cgit.cgi/poky/commit/?id=59a08262aba2d2b9b8b299a2818fb4cfe13b9909
>
> It turned out to be a bit more ugly than I'd anticipated but a nice
> improvement.

That did the trick; same experiment generated a tarball.

Thanks for the quick response!