* dom0 is stalled until a keypress
@ 2011-09-05  9:19 Rafal Wojtczuk
From: Rafal Wojtczuk @ 2011-09-05  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hello,
The following bizarre behaviour was observed on xen4.1+suse dom0 2.6.38, on
an old Core Duo laptop; maybe someone can hint what is wrong.
Dom0 boot stalls after an init.d script prints "Starting udev". Then nothing
seems to happen. I need to press any key to observe progress - I need to do
it tens of times for the boot to finish. After X starts fine, then there is
no need for keypressing anymore.
A particularly disturbing fact is that qrexec_daemon parent, that basically
does
for (;;) { sleep(1); fprintf(stderr, "."); }
does not print dots, until a keypress arrives. So something is very wrong
with timers.
Somehow similarly, pm-suspend sometimes hangs at some stage - after detaching
power cord, machine enters S3 immediately.
This is vaguely similar to the issue described in
 https://lkml.org/lkml/2008/9/14/122
but this time, "nohz=off" does not help.

"cpufreq=dom0-kernel" cures the symptoms; but it is not a sideeffectless
solution. Any idea what is going on or how to debug it ?

Regards,
RW

* RE: dom0 is stalled until a keypress
@ 2011-09-06 15:49 ` Dan Magenheimer
> The following bizarre behaviour was observed on xen4.1+suse dom0 2.6.38, on
> an old Core Duo laptop; maybe someone can hint what is wrong.
> Dom0 boot stalls after an init.d script prints "Starting udev". Then nothing
> seems to happen. I need to press any key to observe progress - I need to do
> it tens of times for the boot to finish. After X starts fine, then there is
> no need for keypressing anymore.
> A particularly disturbing fact is that qrexec_daemon parent, that basically
> does
> for (;;) { sleep(1); fprintf(stderr, "."); }
> does not print dots, until a keypress arrives. So something is very wrong
> with timers.
> Somehow similarly, pm-suspend sometimes hangs at some stage - after detaching
> power cord, machine enters S3 immediately.
> This is vaguely similar to the issue described in
>  https://lkml.org/lkml/2008/9/14/122
> but this time, "nohz=off" does not help.
>
> "cpufreq=dom0-kernel" cures the symptoms; but it is not a sideeffectless
> solution. Any idea what is going on or how to debug it ?

ISTR seeing this on a Core(2?)Duo laptop and I think the
workaround was setting max_cstate=0 (as Xen boot parameter).

* Re: dom0 is stalled until a keypress
@ 2011-09-06 16:35   ` Joanna Rutkowska
From: Joanna Rutkowska @ 2011-09-06 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Magenheimer; +Cc: xen-devel, Rafal Wojtczuk

On 09/06/11 17:49, Dan Magenheimer wrote:
> [...]
But what was the actual problem? Setting max_cstate is probably even
worse for power management than setting cpufreq=dom-kernel, isn't it?

Thanks,
joanna.

* RE: dom0 is stalled until a keypress
@ 2011-09-06 17:17     ` Dan Magenheimer
From: Dan Magenheimer @ 2011-09-06 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joanna Rutkowska; +Cc: xen-devel, Rafal Wojtczuk

> From: Joanna Rutkowska [mailto:joanna@invisiblethingslab.com]

Sorry, dunno.  I recall looking into it a bit and finding that
the Core processor (and possibly specifically Merom, the laptop
version) had some special C-state (C3, C1E maybe?) and giving
up at that point.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.

* Re: dom0 is stalled until a keypress
@ 2011-09-06 19:04 ` Jeremy Fitzhardinge
From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge @ 2011-09-06 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafal Wojtczuk; +Cc: xen-devel

On 09/05/2011 02:19 AM, Rafal Wojtczuk wrote:
> Hello,
> The following bizarre behaviour was observed on xen4.1+suse dom0 2.6.38, on
> an old Core Duo laptop; maybe someone can hint what is wrong.
> Dom0 boot stalls after an init.d script prints "Starting udev". Then nothing
> seems to happen. I need to press any key to observe progress - I need to do
> it tens of times for the boot to finish. After X starts fine, then there is
> no need for keypressing anymore.
> A particularly disturbing fact is that qrexec_daemon parent, that basically
> does
> for (;;) { sleep(1); fprintf(stderr, "."); }
> does not print dots, until a keypress arrives. So something is very wrong
> with timers.
> Somehow similarly, pm-suspend sometimes hangs at some stage - after detaching
> power cord, machine enters S3 immediately.
> This is vaguely similar to the issue described in
>  https://lkml.org/lkml/2008/9/14/122
> but this time, "nohz=off" does not help.
>
> "cpufreq=dom0-kernel" cures the symptoms; but it is not a sideeffectless
> solution. Any idea what is going on or how to debug it ?

Try booting with "idle=halt".

* Re: dom0 is stalled until a keypress
@ 2011-09-07  9:03       ` Joanna Rutkowska
From: Joanna Rutkowska @ 2011-09-07  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Magenheimer; +Cc: xen-devel, Rafal Wojtczuk

On 09/06/11 19:17, Dan Magenheimer wrote:
>> From: Joanna Rutkowska [mailto:joanna@invisiblethingslab.com]

But the same system worked fine without any tweaks (cpufreq, max_cstate)
on Xen 3.4 and only started exhibiting this behavior after we switched
to Xen 4.1...

j.

* Re: dom0 is stalled until a keypress
@ 2011-09-07  9:35         ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2011-09-07  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joanna Rutkowska; +Cc: Dan Magenheimer, xen-devel, Rafal Wojtczuk

>>> On 07.09.11 at 11:03, Joanna Rutkowska <joanna@invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:
> On 09/06/11 19:17, Dan Magenheimer wrote:
>>> From: Joanna Rutkowska [mailto:joanna@invisiblethingslab.com]

4.1.0 or 4.1.1?

Jan

* Re: dom0 is stalled until a keypress
@ 2011-09-07 13:29           ` Rafal Wojtczuk
From: Rafal Wojtczuk @ 2011-09-07 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: Dan Magenheimer, xen-devel, Joanna Rutkowska

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 10:35:45AM +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
> [...]
Originally tested on 4.1.0; same problem with 4.1.1.

Jeremy> Try booting with "idle=halt".
It does not help, either.

Regards,
RW