* building and using yocto 1.1
@ 2011-10-28 14:20 Xianghua Xiao
From: Xianghua Xiao @ 2011-10-28 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

when I built 1.0 out of the box, it took 7 hours.
on the same machine/network, yocto 1.1 took a full 12 hours, not sure
what happened to cause this nearly doubled build time.

after the default build(bitbake core-image-sato), I run 'runqemu
qemux86', click on 'tasks', try to add a new task, however my input is
shown non-english, or garbage on screen, which I have seen the same
issue on yocto1.0 release as well. this is a 10.04 ubuntu 64bit
machine.

don't know what to say about it, just my OOB(out-of-box) experience

xianghua

* Re: building and using yocto 1.1
@ 2011-10-28 14:45 ` Mark Hatle
From: Mark Hatle @ 2011-10-28 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

What machine are you using (amount of ram, disk space, and cpu cores)?

What configuration did you set for parallel builds?

I can build 1.1 on an 8 core i7 system w/ 8 GB of ram, set with parallel
settings of 8 thread and 8 parallel make jobs, in about 100 minutes (or less).

--Mark

@ 2011-10-28 15:07   ` Xu, Jiajun
From: Xu, Jiajun @ 2011-10-28 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hatle, yocto

We also test 1.1 on a 4-core Core i7 machine with 4GB memory. The build time is about 120 minutes. The detailed test result and configuration is on https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Performance_Test. Maybe you could follow the page and retry the build.

> What machine are you using (amount of ram, disk space, and cpu cores)?
>
> What configuration did you set for parallel builds?
>
> I can build 1.1 on an 8 core i7 system w/ 8 GB of ram, set with
> parallel settings of 8 thread and 8 parallel make jobs, in about 100 minutes (or less).
>
> --Mark
>
> On 10/28/11 9:20 AM, Xianghua Xiao wrote:
>> when I built 1.0 out of the box, it took 7 hours.
>> on the same machine/network, yocto 1.1 took a full 12 hours, not
>> sure what happened to cause this nearly doubled build time.
>>
>> after the default build(bitbake core-image-sato), I run 'runqemu
>> qemux86', click on 'tasks', try to add a new task, however my input
>> is shown non-english, or garbage on screen, which I have seen the
>> same issue on yocto1.0 release as well. this is a 10.04 ubuntu 64bit
>> machine.
>>
>> don't know what to say about it, just my OOB(out-of-box) experience
>>
>> xianghua

Best Regards,
Jiajun

* Re: building and using yocto 1.1
@ 2011-10-28 16:13   ` Xianghua Xiao
From: Xianghua Xiao @ 2011-10-28 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hatle; +Cc: yocto

core2duo E7200 2.53Ghz  4GB 500GB

1 thread 1 parallel due to past experience I had from the
past(parallel make did not work well reliably)

thanks,
xianghua

@ 2011-10-28 16:20     ` Xianghua Xiao
From: Xianghua Xiao @ 2011-10-28 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hatle; +Cc: yocto

sorry for the typo in my previous email.

guess I need get a i7 and start to use parallel build again.

is there a way that, when a release is made, all the related source
tarballs can be download as a whole? the separate download  slows
build a lot for the out-of-box test as well.

thanks,
xianghua

@ 2011-10-28 16:23     ` Mark Hatle
From: Mark Hatle @ 2011-10-28 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xianghua Xiao; +Cc: yocto

On 10/28/11 11:13 AM, Xianghua Xiao wrote:
> core2duo E7200 2.53Ghz  4GB 500GB
>
> 1 thread 1 parallel due to past experience I had from the
> past(parallel make did not work well reliably)

It is a goal of the Yocto Project (and Open Embedded) that parallel building is
full supported, and any identified bugs are fixed quickly.

Enable parallel builds and your performance will be significantly better.

If you have hyperthreading enabled, and setup a 4/4 parallel build.  I would
expect about a 4-5 hour build time.  (May be faster)

--Mark

@ 2011-10-28 16:39       ` Xianghua Xiao
From: Xianghua Xiao @ 2011-10-28 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hatle; +Cc: yocto

I do want to point out that:
1.1 is 12 hours while 1.0 was 8 hours, using the same machine on the
same network, not sure why.
input under sato does not work, it's showing some non-English letters
while i type.

xianghua

@ 2011-10-28 16:45       ` Joshua Lock
From: Joshua Lock @ 2011-10-28 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 28/10/11 09:20, Xianghua Xiao wrote:
> is there a way that, when a release is made, all the related source
> tarballs can be download as a whole? the separate download  slows
> build a lot for the out-of-box test as well.

We have a BitBake command to fetch all of the sources without actually
doing the build:

bitbake <target> -c fetchall

i.e.

bitbake core-image-sato -c fetchall

OR

bitbake world -c fetchall

Cheers,
Joshua
--
Joshua Lock
        Yocto Project "Johannes factotum"

* Re: building and using yocto 1.1
@ 2011-10-28 16:47         ` Joshua Lock
From: Joshua Lock @ 2011-10-28 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 28/10/11 09:39, Xianghua Xiao wrote:
> I do want to point out that:
> 1.1 is 12 hours while 1.0 was 8 hours, using the same machine on the
> same network, not sure why.
> input under sato does not work, it's showing some non-English letters
> while i type.

The build time issue is known, we're doing more work (building more
things) in 1.1 - however, reducing build time is a primary goal and I
expect there to be a reduction in build time by the time 1.2 is released.

Could you file a bug for your input issue? That way it's more likely
that someone with the appropriate skill set will be made aware of it.

http://bugzilla.yoctoproject.org

Thanks,
Joshua
--