* (no subject)
@ 2001-10-03 14:28 Marian Kafadarov
From: Marian Kafadarov @ 2001-10-03 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

Hello,
We have DEC station 5000 / 240
 From were we can download Linux distribution and documentation for it and
what we can do on it.
                                    Best regards: Marian Kafadarov
                                                         Technical
university of Plovdiv

* How do I console into Origin 200?
@ 2001-10-03 14:48   ` Brian
From: Brian @ 2001-10-03 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

I am trying to boot an Origin 200 (which I believe currently has IRIX on
it, I will be installing linux-mips).  It has 2 9 pin serial connectors on
the back.  I have hooked my Wyse terminal up to it with a serial cable
with and without a null connector @ 9600bps.  Is this correct?  I get
nothing on the screen.  I have never consoled into an Origin, and am not
sure if I am doing this right.

Brian

Brian Feeny, CCIE #8036	email:signal@shreve.net
Network Engineer	phone:318.222.2638x109
ShreveNet Inc.		fax:  318.221.6612

From: Brian @ 2001-10-03 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

I am trying to boot an Origin 200 (which I believe currently has IRIX on
it, I will be installing linux-mips).  It has 2 9 pin serial connectors on
the back.  I have hooked my Wyse terminal up to it with a serial cable
with and without a null connector @ 9600bps.  Is this correct?  I get
nothing on the screen.  I have never consoled into an Origin, and am not
sure if I am doing this right.

Brian

Brian Feeny, CCIE #8036	email:signal@shreve.net
Network Engineer	phone:318.222.2638x109
ShreveNet Inc.		fax:  318.221.6612

* Re: your mail
@ 2001-10-03 15:52 ` Martin Schulze
From: Martin Schulze @ 2001-10-03 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marian Kafadarov; +Cc: linux-mips

Marian Kafadarov wrote:
> Hello,
> We have DEC station 5000 / 240
> From were we can download Linux distribution and documentation for it and
> what we can do on it.

You could wait until we have finished boot-floppies for this machine
(1-3 weeks) or bootstrap from scratch by using a kernel and a Debian
base system.  Both is available, Karsten can also provide a correct
2.4.x kernel.

I'd rather like to ask you to wait a couple of days/weeks until
boot-floppies are available for this machine and you can use the
regular Debian installation process which will be less painful
than the other.  If you do so, please come back to us in some
days/weeks to find out if things are ready already.

Regards,

	Joey

--
All language designers are arrogant.  Goes with the territory...
	-- Larry Wall

* Re: How do I console into Origin 200?
  (?)
@ 2001-10-03 18:04   ` Ralf Baechle
From: Ralf Baechle @ 2001-10-03 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian; +Cc: linux-mips

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 09:48:20AM -0500, Brian wrote:

> I am trying to boot an Origin 200 (which I believe currently has IRIX on
> it, I will be installing linux-mips).  It has 2 9 pin serial connectors on
> the back.  I have hooked my Wyse terminal up to it with a serial cable
> with and without a null connector @ 9600bps.  Is this correct?  I get
> nothing on the screen.  I have never consoled into an Origin, and am not
> sure if I am doing this right.

Yes, that's correct and by default IRIX also runs a getty on the console.
So you probably want to doublecheck cables.  Also disable handshaking.

  Ralf

PS: Replying when you actually want to start a new thread is a bad idea.