* Re: Questions about CTF format
       [not found] <CAEBwSh_OkCZiWJXQrUO3fnLnka3MfTJpa8z0HqxxVFd7CtPqOg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-07-05 14:20 ` Mathieu Desnoyers
       [not found] ` <20120705142052.GA23162@Krystal>
From: Mathieu Desnoyers @ 2012-07-05 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Dompe; +Cc: lttng-dev, tiwg

* Diego Dompe (ddompe@gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm developing a custom tracer for an embedded product that will generate
> CTF format. I was able to generate generic traces that can be interpreted
> properly with babeltrace (but not with eclipse, I already file a bug for
> that), but I found the CTF specification lacking in some aspects (I had to
> peek into lttng-generated CTF traces to figure out some details). I was
> wondering what is the proper mailing list to clear my questions and provide
> feedback on the CTF specification for improvement in the areas where the
> documentation is not detailed yet. I don't see any CTF-specific mailing
> list, it's OK to discuss it here? Or maybe directly with a developer(s)?

Hi Diego,

Yes, this mailing list would be the proper place, along maybe with
adding the MCA tiwg mailing list in CC, which I'm doing here.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers
EfficiOS Inc.

@ 2012-07-05 14:49   ` Diego Dompe
       [not found]   ` <CAEBwSh8vqVr9LsPPRxx_c9da7M3spcMwrHTkSX+bWE1_UQVXbw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Diego Dompe @ 2012-07-05 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Desnoyers; +Cc: lttng-dev, tiwg

Hi Mathieu,

Thanks for the help. Here is my list of details:

- Clocks: the spec doesn't explain properly that timestamps are an offset
from the base time of the clock they refer to. Since I was using 64bit
timestamps I somehow assumed that I was using absolute timestamps from the
epoch (although the spec doesn't says it either).

- I saw that the lttng-generated traces for metadata are always a multiple
of 4k in size (at least the ones I generate for either kernel or user
space). I can't find where in the spec it mentions requirements regarding
metadata packet padding. I was generating metadata packets that ended up
right after my TSDL and eclipse wasn't happy about it (although I didn't
try babeltrace). Also I found that the lttng-generated traces have a
"empty" metadata packet after the metadata containing the TSDL, I didn't
find either any documentation regarding this.

Regards,

Diego

@ 2012-08-31 14:34     ` Matthew Khouzam
From: Matthew Khouzam @ 2012-08-31 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lttng-dev

On 12-07-05 10:49 AM, Diego Dompe wrote:
> Hi Mathieu,
>
> Thanks for the help. Here is my list of details:
>
> - Clocks: the spec doesn't explain properly that timestamps are an
> offset from the base time of the clock they refer to. Since I was
> using 64bit timestamps I somehow assumed that I was using absolute
> timestamps from the epoch (although the spec doesn't says it either).
This is acceptable AFAIK, just to be clear, you can use arbitrary time
origins, that means epoch is a valid origin too. You can also use a
scaling factor, just be careful applying it since a double has 53 bits
and thus you may lose precision.

> - I saw that the lttng-generated traces for metadata are always a
> multiple of 4k in size (at least the ones I generate for either kernel
> or user space). I can't find where in the spec it mentions
> requirements regarding metadata packet padding. I was generating
> metadata packets that ended up right after my TSDL and eclipse wasn't
> happy about it (although I didn't try babeltrace).
Could you send the trace please, I can look into it.

@ 2013-05-02 20:27     ` Mathieu Desnoyers
From: Mathieu Desnoyers @ 2013-05-02 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Dompe; +Cc: lttng-dev, tiwg

* Diego Dompe (ddompe@gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi Mathieu,
>
> Thanks for the help. Here is my list of details:
>
> - Clocks: the spec doesn't explain properly that timestamps are an offset
> from the base time of the clock they refer to. Since I was using 64bit
> timestamps I somehow assumed that I was using absolute timestamps from the
> epoch (although the spec doesn't says it either).

Not sure if it was there when you wrote your comment, but the CTF spec
currently has:

"The "offset_s" and "offset" fields indicate the offset from POSIX.1
Epoch, 1970-01-01 00:00:00 +0000 (UTC), to the zero of value of the
clock."

> - I saw that the lttng-generated traces for metadata are always a multiple
> of 4k in size (at least the ones I generate for either kernel or user
> space). I can't find where in the spec it mentions requirements regarding
> metadata packet padding. I was generating metadata packets that ended up
> right after my TSDL and eclipse wasn't happy about it (although I didn't
> try babeltrace). Also I found that the lttng-generated traces have a
> "empty" metadata packet after the metadata containing the TSDL, I didn't
> find either any documentation regarding this.

Babeltrace had a limitation on not accepting packets smaller than 4kB
(page size actually), but it is now fixed.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers