* Rocketraid 640 raid 5 disabled
@ 2013-02-27  3:11 Khurram Hassan
From: Khurram Hassan @ 2013-02-27  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

I have a disabled raid 5 (3 disks) array on a Rocketraid 640. The full
sequence of events follows. After the array was shown as degraded, I
checked the webgui (under windows 7) which showed hard disk 3 was bad,
so changed this hard disk and the rebuild started. After a few hours,
I got a loud continuous beep from the system. Upon checking it, I
found that hard disk 1 had bad sectors and was offline. At this time,
the rebuild showed 85.1% complete. I clicked rescan and it came back
on online. At this time, I started copying data from the raid disk to
another hard disk which was not on the raid controller. The raid disk
had three volumes and I successfully copied the first volume data. It
was during data copy from the 2nd volume that hard disk 1 gave bad
sector message again and went offline. I clicked rescan, it came
online but then hard disk 2 and hard disk 3 went offline and the array
became disabled. The 3 disks are still recognized by the controller,
but the array shows only the 1st hard disk as part of the array.

Can I use mdadm to recover this array or at least to get the 2nd hard
disk as online so that I can copy data from it? I dont boot off the
array; I have another hard disk for that purpose. I have installed
ubuntu 12.04 on this boot hard disk and have loaded the driver for the
controller in it. I dont see anyhard disk devices under /dev for it. I
only have /dev/sdax which is for my boot hard disk.

Thanks.