* [ath9k-devel] ath9k driver modifications
@ 2013-03-14 16:22 Mikkel Hagen
From: Mikkel Hagen @ 2013-03-14 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hello,
     I work with the UNH-IOL to test conformance of 11n MAC, we have
been trying to implement our test suite over an atheros 11n card. We
have most of the test suite working except for two issues that are
preventing us finishing the implementation:
1. turning off retries
2. setting a hard rate on transmit

We tried to use iwconfig to set retry and rates but it seems to ignore
those settings, we then tried to use the radiotap header to no success,
we then tried to start modifying the atheros drivers and still did not
meet with much success.  We are using lorcon over the mac80211 driver
for injection, with the ath9k driver.  Right  now we have been modifying
the driver in the 3.5 kernel, but we can use any version that you recommend.

An example of something that we have already tried to not transmit
retries is below, from xmit.c, line 316:

hdr->frame_control |= cpu_to_le16(IEEE80211_FCTL_RETRY);

hdr->frame_control |= cpu_to_le16(0x0000);

To try and force it not to set the retry bit, but this did not seem to
do anything.  Do you have any pointers on what we might try next?  Thanks!

--
Mikkel Hagen
Research and Development
* [ath9k-devel] ath9k driver modifications
@ 2013-03-15 20:30 ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2013-03-15 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

On 14 March 2013 09:22, Mikkel Hagen <mhagen@iol.unh.edu> wrote:

>  Hello,
>     I work with the UNH-IOL to test conformance of 11n MAC, we have been
> trying to implement our test suite over an atheros 11n card.   We have most
> of the test suite working except for two issues that are preventing us
> finishing the implementation:
> 1. turning off retries
> 2. setting a hard rate on transmit
>

> We tried to use iwconfig to set retry and rates but it seems to ignore
> those settings, we then tried to use the radiotap header to no success, we
> then tried to start modifying the atheros drivers and still did not meet
> with much success.  We are using lorcon over the mac80211 driver for
> injection, with the ath9k driver.  Right  now we have been modifying the
> driver in the 3.5 kernel, but we can use any version that you recommend.
>
> An example of something that we have already tried to not transmit retries
> is below, from xmit.c, line 316:
>
> hdr->frame_control |= cpu_to_le16(IEEE80211_FCTL_RETRY);

> hdr->frame_control |= cpu_to_le16(0x0000);
>
> To try and force it not to set the retry bit, but this did not seem to do
> anything.  Do you have any pointers on what we might try next?  Thanks!

That only sets the retry bit on outgoing frames, but the driver and
mac80211 will do something different.

You need to find a way to tell mac80211 and the rate control layer to set
the retry count to 1.

The problem is that mac80211/ath9k will do software retransmissions too, so
you may have to extend it to have some way to say "don't software
retransmit this frame either please." Felix would know better about this.

Thanks,

Adrian

@ 2013-03-15 21:17   ` Mikkel Hagen
From: Mikkel Hagen @ 2013-03-15 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Thanks Adrian,
     I appreciate the quick response, we will look into the rate control
layer and the mac80211 as well and see if we can get this working.  Thanks!

@ 2013-03-16  0:57     ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2013-03-16  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

hi,

You're welcome. :0

I think it's worth reviewing what goes on here.

* There's the RETRY bit in the 802.11 header for each frame. It can be set
either by software or by a field in the TX descriptor.
* There's a retry value for each of up to 4 rate configurations in a TX
descriptor. This controls how many times the hardware will try to
retransmit the frame with it failing. This is decided by mac80211 and
ratecontrol. I believe it's the default long/short retry, but I could be
wrong, because;
* There's a short and long retry count configured per DCU:

        /* Set retry limit values */
        OS_REG_WRITE(ah, AR_DRETRY_LIMIT(q),
                   SM(INIT_SSH_RETRY, AR_D_RETRY_LIMIT_STA_SH)
                 | SM(INIT_SLG_RETRY, AR_D_RETRY_LIMIT_STA_LG)
                 | SM(qi->tqi_lgretry, AR_D_RETRY_LIMIT_FR_LG)
                 | SM(qi->tqi_shretry, AR_D_RETRY_LIMIT_FR_SH)
        );

(From FreeBSD - in ath9k it's similar code, just different names of things.)

I'll have to check the datasheets to see what is actually going on here.

Then there's whether you're doing software retransmission. This is done in
the ADDBA enabled path in ath9k/mac80211. I don't know if ath9k/mac80211
does software retry for non-aggregate session frames - I know that FreeBSD
doesn't yet support it but I have almost all of the framework in place.
(Frame ordering is much more of a problem when you're doing software
retransmission without ADDBA enabled.) This is done by mac80211 and ath9k.