* [Xenomai] Limited kernel size for booting ?
@ 2013-03-19  8:57 Thierry Bultel
From: Thierry Bultel @ 2013-03-19  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi Gilles,

First, I apologize for posting such a question that is sincerely not
really related to xenomai.
But I am using the kernel from ipipe-gch.git, branch ipipe-3.0-imx6q

The issue I have is that it is not booting when using a really big
built-in initramfs(about 60 Mo)
It does not seem to reach "start_kernel", there is nomore log after
Uboot says "Starting kernel"

I have payed attention to address zones, and even tried to use an
uncompressed kernel
in the uImage container, to skip and discriminate the gzip phase. Same
result.

I do not have an operational Jtag probe yet, thus I only would like to
get your opinion on
this. To your mind, is this assumed to work ?

Thanks in advance for any clues on that "out of scope" request.

Cheers
Thierry

* Re: [Xenomai] Limited kernel size for booting ?
@ 2013-03-19 10:05 ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2013-03-19 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Bultel; +Cc: xenomai

On 03/19/2013 09:57 AM, Thierry Bultel wrote:

> Hi Gilles,
>
> First, I apologize for posting such a question that is sincerely not
> really related to xenomai.
> But I am using the kernel from ipipe-gch.git, branch ipipe-3.0-imx6q
>
> The issue I have is that it is not booting when using a really big
> built-in initramfs(about 60 Mo)
> It does not seem to reach "start_kernel", there is nomore log after
> Uboot says "Starting kernel"
>
> I have payed attention to address zones, and even tried to use an
> uncompressed kernel
> in the uImage container, to skip and discriminate the gzip phase. Same
> result.
>
> I do not have an operational Jtag probe yet, thus I only would like to
> get your opinion on
> this. To your mind, is this assumed to work ?

No, the maximum size of initramfs is limited, you need to change the
linker script to put the initramfs at the end of the memory used by the
kernel, a patch exists to do that on the linux arm kernel mailing list
and has been merged in recent kernels.

--
                                                                Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Limited kernel size for booting ?
@ 2013-03-19 12:06   ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2013-03-19 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Bultel; +Cc: xenomai

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=3835d69a6c7048a28d0aea3cb8403d5e83a0f867

--
                                                                Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Limited kernel size for booting ?
@ 2013-03-19 15:38     ` Thierry Bultel
From: Thierry Bultel @ 2013-03-19 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

Really many thanks. This works like a charm.

I also add to hack into arch/arm/kernel/sleep.S,
because the "cpu_resume" is located in .data, and it had a 24bits jump
to cpu_do_resume
that could not be relocated and led to a linker error.
I have simply removed the line, because I am not insterested in cpu
suspend for my application anyway.

FYI, the freescale rel_imx_3.0.35_12.09.01 tag version of that file is
closed enough to
the committed patch for being taken as is.

Also, this is not related, but I have been a little confused by failing
attempts, because I had forgotten the "rootwait" bootarg,
which is mandatory with that kernel.

Cheers
Thierry