* Migration route from Parallels on Mac for Windows images?
@ 2013-06-27  1:25 Ken Roberts
From: Ken Roberts @ 2013-06-27  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Sorry for the user query but I'm not finding expertise on the Linux mailing lists I belong to.  The web site says one-off user questions are OK.

I have a few VM images on Parallels 8 for Mac. I want them to be on KVM/Linux.

Some of the images are Linux, but the critical ones are a few types of Windows.  I don't want to trash my licenses.

I noticed that kvm-img has a parallels format option, and it seems to work while the conversion is going on.  I've tried kvm-img to convert to qcow2 and to raw, both cases the image converts but the disk is not bootable.  The only file the kvm-img doesn't immediately fail on is the one that contains the data.

The best answer to my problem is to find out how to make the disk bootable.

The next best answer is to find out if there is a reliable migration path, even if it means going to VMware first.

Also, if VMware is a necessary intermediate point, it would help to know which VMware format to use for best results.

I'm not a KVM expert, I've made some VMs on LVM and installed Linux on them with bridged networking, that's about the extent of it.  For the record that was insanely simple.

Thanks.

--
Ken Roberts
ken@9ci.com

* Re: Migration route from Parallels on Mac for Windows images?
@ 2013-06-27 19:33 ` Brian Jackson
From: Brian Jackson @ 2013-06-27 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Roberts; +Cc: kvm

On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:25:54 PM CDT, Ken Roberts wrote:
> Sorry for the user query but I'm not finding expertise on the
> Linux mailing lists I belong to.  The web site says one-off user
> questions are OK.
>
> I have a few VM images on Parallels 8 for Mac. I want them to
> be on KVM/Linux.
>
> Some of the images are Linux, but the critical ones are a few
> types of Windows.  I don't want to trash my licenses.
>
> I noticed that kvm-img has a parallels format option, and it
> seems to work while the conversion is going on.  I've tried
> kvm-img to convert to qcow2 and to raw, both cases the image
> converts but the disk is not bootable.  The only file the
> kvm-img doesn't immediately fail on is the one that contains the
> data.

More details on "not bootable" would be nice. Do you get a blue screen? Seabios screen? You may need to prep the image before you convert it (google mergeide).

@ 2013-06-28  1:01   ` Ken Roberts
From: Ken Roberts @ 2013-06-28  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Jackson; +Cc: kvm

--
Ken Roberts
ken@9ci.com

On Jun 27, 2013, at 2:33 PM, Brian Jackson <iggy@theiggy.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:25:54 PM CDT, Ken Roberts wrote:
>> Sorry for the user query but I'm not finding expertise on the Linux mailing lists I belong to.  The web site says one-off user questions are OK.
>>
>> I have a few VM images on Parallels 8 for Mac. I want them to be on KVM/Linux.
>>
>> Some of the images are Linux, but the critical ones are a few types of Windows.  I don't want to trash my licenses.
>>
>> I noticed that kvm-img has a parallels format option, and it seems to work while the conversion is going on.  I've tried kvm-img to convert to qcow2 and to raw, both cases the image converts but the disk is not bootable.  The only file the kvm-img doesn't immediately fail on is the one that contains the data.
>

> More details on "not bootable" would be nice. Do you get a blue screen? Seabios screen? You may need to prep the image before you convert it (google mergeide).

Not sure if you support screenshots on the list, so I'm typing it below the post.

The only configured device is the hard disk, it is INSTANTLY showing Boot failed: not a bootable disk.

Thanks.

Black screen from virt-manager:
----

Booting from Hard Disk…
Boot failed: not a bootable disk

Booting from ROM…
iPXE (PCI 00:03.0) starting execution…ok
iPXE initialising devices…ok

iPXE 1.0.0+ -- Open Source Network Boot Firmware -- http://ipxe.org
Features: HTTP HTTPS iSCSI DNS TFTP AoE bzImage ELF MBOOT PXE PXEXT Menu

net0: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx using rtl8139 on PCI00:03.0 (open)
  [Link:up, TX:0 TXE:0 RX:0 RXE:0]
DHCP (net0 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx)….. ok
net0: 192.168.1.140/255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.1.1
Next server: 192.168.1.1
Nothing to boot: No such file or directory (http://ipxe.org/2d03e13b)
No more network devices

Booting from Floppy…
Boot failed: could not read the boot disk

No bootable device.
----

* Re: Migration route from Parallels on Mac for Windows images?
@ 2013-06-28  8:39     ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2013-06-28  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Roberts; +Cc: Brian Jackson, kvm

Il 28/06/2013 03:01, Ken Roberts ha scritto:
>> > More details on "not bootable" would be nice. Do you get a blue screen? Seabios screen? You may need to prep the image before you convert it (google mergeide).
>
> Not sure if you support screenshots on the list, so I'm typing it below the post.
>
> The only configured device is the hard disk, it is INSTANTLY showing Boot failed: not a bootable disk.

If you attach one of your Windows images to one of the Linux VMs and run
the Linux VM on Parallels, what does "file -s" say if you pass it the
Windows disk?

And what does "file" say (on the host) about the same Windows image
after conversion to raw?

Also, can you do

dd if=/path/to/windows-image.raw bs=512 count=1 | od -tx1

(of course you have to replace /path/to/windows-image.raw) and include
the output?

Paolo

* Re: Migration route from Parallels on Mac for Windows images?
@ 2013-06-29  3:36       ` Ken Roberts
From: Ken Roberts @ 2013-06-29  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: Brian Jackson, kvm

On Jun 28, 2013, at 3:39 AM, Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com> wrote:

>> Not sure if you support screenshots on the list, so I'm typing it below the post.
>>
>> The only configured device is the hard disk, it is INSTANTLY showing Boot failed: not a bootable disk.
>
> If you attach one of your Windows images to one of the Linux VMs and run
> the Linux VM on Parallels, what does "file -s" say if you pass it the
> Windows disk?

# fdisk -l /dev/sdb
Disk /dev/sdb: 68.7 GB, 68719730688 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 8354 cylinders, total 134218224 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00010001

/dev/sdb1   *          63   134190944    67095441    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

# file -s /dev/sdb
/dev/sdb: x86 boot sector, Microsoft Windows XP MBR, Serial 0x10001; partition 1: ID=0x7, active, starthead 1, startsector 63, 134190882 sectors, code offset 0xc0

# file -s /dev/sdb1
/dev/sdb1: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x52, OEM-ID "NTFS    ", sectors/cluster 8, reserved sectors 0, Media descriptor 0xf8, heads 255, hidden sectors 63, dos < 4.0 BootSector (0x80)

> And what does "file" say (on the host) about the same Windows image
> after conversion to raw?

$file -s popeye-c-raw.img
popeye-c-raw.img: data

> Also, can you do
>
> dd if=/path/to/windows-image.raw bs=512 count=1 | od -tx1
>
> (of course you have to replace /path/to/windows-image.raw) and include
> the output?

$dd if=popeye-c-raw.img bs=512 count=1  | od -tx1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes (512 B) copied, 0.000139388 s, 3.7 MB/s
0000000 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
*
0001000

> Paolo

Thanks for the help.

* Re: Migration route from Parallels on Mac for Windows images?
@ 2013-07-01  1:52         ` Fam Zheng
From: Fam Zheng @ 2013-07-01  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Roberts; +Cc: Paolo Bonzini, Brian Jackson, kvm

On Fri, 06/28 22:36, Ken Roberts wrote:

> >> Not sure if you support screenshots on the list, so I'm typing it below the post.
> >>
> >> The only configured device is the hard disk, it is INSTANTLY showing Boot failed: not a bootable disk.
> >
> > If you attach one of your Windows images to one of the Linux VMs and run
> > the Linux VM on Parallels, what does "file -s" say if you pass it the
> > Windows disk?
>
> # fdisk -l /dev/sdb
> Disk /dev/sdb: 68.7 GB, 68719730688 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 8354 cylinders, total 134218224 sectors
> Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0x00010001
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sdb1   *          63   134190944    67095441    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
>

> # file -s /dev/sdb
> /dev/sdb: x86 boot sector, Microsoft Windows XP MBR, Serial 0x10001; partition 1: ID=0x7, active, starthead 1, startsector 63, 134190882 sectors, code offset 0xc0
>
> # file -s /dev/sdb1
> /dev/sdb1: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x52, OEM-ID "NTFS    ", sectors/cluster 8, reserved sectors 0, Media descriptor 0xf8, heads 255, hidden sectors 63, dos < 4.0 BootSector (0x80)
>

> > And what does "file" say (on the host) about the same Windows image
> > after conversion to raw?
>
> $file -s popeye-c-raw.img
> popeye-c-raw.img: data
>

> > Also, can you do
> >
> > dd if=/path/to/windows-image.raw bs=512 count=1 | od -tx1
> >
> > (of course you have to replace /path/to/windows-image.raw) and include
> > the output?
>
> $dd if=popeye-c-raw.img bs=512 count=1  | od -tx1
> 1+0 records in
> 1+0 records out
> 512 bytes (512 B) copied, 0.000139388 s, 3.7 MB/s
> 0000000 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> *
> 0001000

Definitely not a correct conversion, can you post your converting
command? I think is should be one like:

   qemu-img convert -f parallels -O qcow2 original.parallels target.qcow2

--
Fam