From: Josef Bacik <jbacik@fb.com>
To: "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@fieldses.org>
Cc: "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@xmission.com>,
	<linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: find_fh_dentry returned a DISCONNECTED directory
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 12:02:23 -0500	[thread overview]

On 02/14/2014 11:45 AM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> Ok using d_make_root makes us leak inodes on umount (I don't know
> why, I'm not drunk enough yet.)
>
>> Oh, well, a little early in the morning, but that's a solveable
>> problem.
>
> I haven't tried it yet but I'm almost 100% positive if I just clear
> out DISCONNECTED we will BUG_ON() in d_splice_alias() when we go to
> walk into the subvol we've mounted with the default subvol option.
>
>> I'd expect it not to BUG_ON(), but instead to fall into the !new
>> case and create a second alias for that directory.  Which
>> probably actually causes the same problems d_make_root does.

(weird that thunderbird is treating my replies as the most recent
reply, but whatever)

So neither of these cases happened, I just didn't see _anything_ in
the directory when I mounted the fs.  Once I mounted the parent subvol
and walked into the default subvol I could see everything properly.
This is with clearing DISCONNECTED and still using d_splice_alias() in
lookup.

Once I switched d_splice_alias() to d_materialise_unique() in
btrfs_lookup() everything went back to working as normal.  So I'm
calling it a win and forgetting we ever had this conversation.  Thanks,

Josef