* systemd support for recipes in meta-openembedded
@ 2014-09-03  7:28 ChenQi
From: ChenQi @ 2014-09-03  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi All,

In the next period, we are going to add systemd support (mostly systemd
unit files) to recipes in meta-oe, meta-networking and meta-webserver.

If some of you are interested in doing such work, or you have being
doing work in this area, please let us know so that we don't duplicate work.

Best Regards,
Chen Qi

* Re: systemd support for recipes in meta-openembedded
@ 2014-09-03 15:05 ` Randy MacLeod
From: Randy MacLeod @ 2014-09-03 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ChenQi, openembedded-devel; +Cc: koen

On 14-09-03 03:28 AM, ChenQi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In the next period, we are going to add systemd support (mostly systemd
> unit files) to recipes in meta-oe, meta-networking and meta-webserver.
>
> If some of you are interested in doing such work, or you have being
> doing work in this area, please let us know so that we don't duplicate
> work.
>
> Best Regards,
> Chen Qi

Here's the list of recipes for which we _intend_ to
add systemd support over the coming weeks:

meta-oe:

  collectd        Script: collectd
  postgresql      Script: postgresql-server
  samba           Script: samba winbind
  smartmontools   Script: smartd

meta-networking:

  arptables       Script: arptables
  conntrack-tools Script: conntrackd conntrack-failover
  ebtables        Script: ebtables
  init-ifupdown   Script: networking
  memcached       Script: memcached
  netcf           Script: (?????)
  proftpd         Script: proftpd
  quagga          Script: quagga watchquagga
  radvd           Script: radvd
  rp-pppoe        Script: pppoe-server
  snort           Script: snort
  tftp-hpa        Script: tftpd-hpa
  vsftpd          Script: vsftpd
  xl2tpd          Script: xl2tpd

meta-webserver:

  nginx           Script: nginx
  nostromo        Script: nostromo
  webmin          Script: webmin

I looked for systemd bbappends using:
    http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/recipes/
but didn't find any.

I need to figure out what if anything to do with meta-systemd.
The intent of that layer has probably been explained in the email logs
and I suspect that I should look at how meta-angstrom uses it but
I won't have time to do those investigations until later today.

--
# Randy MacLeod. SMTS, Linux, Wind River
Direct: 613.963.1350

* Re: systemd support for recipes in meta-openembedded
@ 2014-09-03 15:56   ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2014-09-03 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy MacLeod; +Cc: koen, openembedded-devel

On Wednesday 03 September 2014 11:05:54 Randy MacLeod wrote:
> On 14-09-03 03:28 AM, ChenQi wrote:
> > In the next period, we are going to add systemd support (mostly systemd
> > unit files) to recipes in meta-oe, meta-networking and meta-webserver.
> >
> > If some of you are interested in doing such work, or you have being
> > doing work in this area, please let us know so that we don't duplicate
> > work.
>
> Here's the list of recipes for which we _intend_ to
> add systemd support over the coming weeks:
>
> meta-oe:
>
>   collectd        Script: collectd
>   postgresql      Script: postgresql-server
>   samba           Script: samba winbind
>   smartmontools   Script: smartd
>

> meta-networking:
>
>   arptables       Script: arptables
>   conntrack-tools Script: conntrackd conntrack-failover
>   ebtables        Script: ebtables
>   init-ifupdown   Script: networking
>   memcached       Script: memcached
>   netcf           Script: (?????)
>   proftpd         Script: proftpd
>   quagga          Script: quagga watchquagga
>   radvd           Script: radvd
>   rp-pppoe        Script: pppoe-server
>   snort           Script: snort
>   tftp-hpa        Script: tftpd-hpa
>   vsftpd          Script: vsftpd
>   xl2tpd          Script: xl2tpd
>

> meta-webserver:
>
>   nginx           Script: nginx
>   nostromo        Script: nostromo
>   webmin          Script: webmin
>
> I looked for systemd bbappends using:
>     http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/recipes/
> but didn't find any.
>

> I need to figure out what if anything to do with meta-systemd.
> The intent of that layer has probably been explained in the email logs
> and I suspect that I should look at how meta-angstrom uses it but
> I won't have time to do those investigations until later today.

There's not a lot left in meta-systemd; it been chipped away as the relevant
support has been added into the corresponding recipes.

Here is a quick script that shows the parts that may still need looking at:

  https://gist.github.com/bluelightning/fd4a54d64b5619e20d5f

It looks like Chen's patchset has just landed in OE-Core master; I haven't
looked at the changes closely but it seems like a few of the remaining non-
trivial bbappends may now be able to be pared down to just the
RDEPENDS/RRECOMMENDS/RREPLACES lines (e.g. keymaps, dhcp, at).

The sooner meta-systemd can be labelled as only interesting to those needing
the RDEPENDS/RRECOMMENDS/RREPLACES for the old packaging, the better IMO, so I
really appreciate this work, thanks!

Cheers,
Paul

--