* [Xenomai] Flexcan driver build broken since 3.11 - also in upstream?
@ 2014-09-08  6:37 Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2014-09-08  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xenomai

Hi all,

just noticed a build breakage in Xenomai 2: ksrc/drivers/can/flexcan.c
is looking for linux/can/platform/flexcan.h which was removed in
baffd2e8d9. But both the Xenomai driver and upstream's flexcan.c still
use the flexcan_platform_data structure which I do not find anywhere in
the kernel. Does anyone know what happened there?

Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RTC ITP SES-DE

* Re: [Xenomai] Flexcan driver build broken since 3.11 - also in upstream?
@ 2014-09-08  9:25 ` Wolfgang Grandegger
From: Wolfgang Grandegger @ 2014-09-08  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Xenomai

On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 08:37:14 +0200, Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> just noticed a build breakage in Xenomai 2: ksrc/drivers/can/flexcan.c
> is looking for linux/can/platform/flexcan.h which was removed in
> baffd2e8d9. But both the Xenomai driver and upstream's flexcan.c still
> use the flexcan_platform_data structure which I do not find anywhere in
> the kernel. Does anyone know what happened there?

I just cloned Linus's kernel tree and do *not* see that any CAN driver is
still including "linux/can/platform/flexcan":

$ grep -r '/platform/flexcan.h' linux/drivers/net/can/
$

Will have a closer look later today.

Wolfgang.

* Re: [Xenomai] Flexcan driver build broken since 3.11 - also in upstream?
@ 2014-09-08  9:33   ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2014-09-08  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Grandegger; +Cc: Xenomai

On 2014-09-08 11:25, Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 08:37:14 +0200, Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> just noticed a build breakage in Xenomai 2: ksrc/drivers/can/flexcan.c
>> is looking for linux/can/platform/flexcan.h which was removed in
>> baffd2e8d9. But both the Xenomai driver and upstream's flexcan.c still
>> use the flexcan_platform_data structure which I do not find anywhere in
>> the kernel. Does anyone know what happened there?
>
> I just cloned Linus's kernel tree and do *not* see that any CAN driver is
> still including "linux/can/platform/flexcan":
>
> $ grep -r '/platform/flexcan.h' linux/drivers/net/can/
> $
>
> Will have a closer look later today.

Also try "git grep flexcan_platform_data" - confuses me...

Jan

--

@ 2014-09-08 10:39     ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2014-09-08 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, Wolfgang Grandegger; +Cc: Xenomai

On 09/08/2014 11:33 AM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2014-09-08 11:25, Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
>> On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 08:37:14 +0200, Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> just noticed a build breakage in Xenomai 2: ksrc/drivers/can/flexcan.c
>>> is looking for linux/can/platform/flexcan.h which was removed in
>>> baffd2e8d9. But both the Xenomai driver and upstream's flexcan.c still
>>> use the flexcan_platform_data structure which I do not find anywhere in
>>> the kernel. Does anyone know what happened there?
>>
>> I just cloned Linus's kernel tree and do *not* see that any CAN driver is
>> still including "linux/can/platform/flexcan":
>>
>> $ grep -r '/platform/flexcan.h' linux/drivers/net/can/
>> $
>>
>> Will have a closer look later today.
>
> Also try "git grep flexcan_platform_data" - confuses me...

Well, the driver never uses the contents of the pointer to this
structure, so, it does not really need the structure to be defined...
Or am I missing something? Anyway, it would seem the driver has been
converted to device tree:

Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/can/fsl-flexcan.txt

--
                                                                Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Flexcan driver build broken since 3.11 - also in upstream?
@ 2014-09-08 12:29       ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2014-09-08 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix, Wolfgang Grandegger; +Cc: Xenomai

On 2014-09-08 12:39, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> On 09/08/2014 11:33 AM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> On 2014-09-08 11:25, Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:

>>> I just cloned Linus's kernel tree and do *not* see that any CAN driver is
>>> still including "linux/can/platform/flexcan":
>>>
>>> $ grep -r '/platform/flexcan.h' linux/drivers/net/can/
>>> $
>>>
>>> Will have a closer look later today.
>>
>> Also try "git grep flexcan_platform_data" - confuses me...
>
> Well, the driver never uses the contents of the pointer to this
> structure, so, it does not really need the structure to be defined...

Indeed, dead code...

> Or am I missing something? Anyway, it would seem the driver has been
> converted to device tree:
>
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/can/fsl-flexcan.txt

Then we need to convert the RT driver as well, right?

Jan

--

@ 2014-09-08 13:55         ` Wolfgang Grandegger
From: Wolfgang Grandegger @ 2014-09-08 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Xenomai

On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 14:29:34 +0200, Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com>
wrote:
> On 2014-09-08 12:39, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
<jan.kiszka@siemens.com>

ksrc/drivers/can/flexcan.c

>>> Also try "git grep flexcan_platform_data" - confuses me...
>>
>> Well, the driver never uses the contents of the pointer to this
>> structure, so, it does not really need the structure to be defined...
>
> Indeed, dead code...
>
>> Or am I missing something? Anyway, it would seem the driver has been
>> converted to device tree:
>>
>> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/can/fsl-flexcan.txt
>>

> Then we need to convert the RT driver as well, right?

Yes... while still being compatible with old(er) kernel versions.
And there are various other improvements and most likely bug fixes.
Unfortunately I do currently not have Flexcan hardware at hand.

Wolfgang.