* Asus N53 USB WiFi Driver porting
@ 2014-12-18 14:20 Abhishek Sharma
From: Abhishek Sharma @ 2014-12-18 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi folks,
I have a board with 2.6.27.5 kernel and I want to use Asus N53 USB WiFi
dongle on it in direct mode.
I have used rt5572sta driver ver 2.6.0.1 and the dongle is able to work in
infra and ad hoc mode, but direct mode is not working.

Only ra0 interface is made when the module is inserted, interface p2p0
needed for direct mode does not comes up.

I can not change my kernel version as all my running applications can not
be ported to newer kernels.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,
A Sharma
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Asus N53 USB WiFi Driver porting
@ 2014-12-18 14:37 ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2014-12-18 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 19:50:00 +0530, Abhishek Sharma said:

> I can not change my kernel version as all my running applications can not
> be ported to newer kernels.

Oh? What applications are you stuck with that can't move to newer
kernels?  We're usually pretty damned good about backward compatability
in new releases.
Help regarding direct mode working of Ralink RT3572 chipset is all I need.

Regards,
A Sharma

@ 2014-12-18 15:40     ` Ricardo Ribalda Delgado
From: Ricardo Ribalda Delgado @ 2014-12-18 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Abhishek

Thanks for your reply

I do not want to backport driver and APIs to buggy old kernels.

Fixing broken backward compatibility is all I need.

Regards.

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Abhishek Sharma <asharma.es@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Valdis,
> Thanks for your reply.
> I do not want to change kernel.
> Help regarding direct mode working of Ralink RT3572 chipset is all I need.
>
> Regards,
> A Sharma
>
> On 18 December 2014 at 20:07, <Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 19:50:00 +0530, Abhishek Sharma said:
>> >
>> > I can not change my kernel version as all my running applications can
>> > not
>> > be ported to newer kernels.
>>
>> Oh? What applications are you stuck with that can't move to newer
>> kernels?  We're usually pretty damned good about backward compatability
>> in new releases.

Ricardo Ribalda

* Asus N53 USB WiFi Driver porting
@ 2014-12-18 16:24 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2014-12-18 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 07:50:00PM +0530, Abhishek Sharma wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I have a board with 2.6.27.5 kernel and I want to use Asus N53 USB WiFi dongle
> on it in direct mode.

You do realize just how old, obsolete, and insecure that kernel version
is, right?  If you are stuck with that version, please get help from the
company you are paying for support from to do this backporting work, as
they are the only ones that can do that for you.

Best of luck,

greg k-h

* Asus N53 USB WiFi Driver porting
@ 2014-12-18 16:26     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2014-12-18 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 08:18:24PM +0530, Abhishek Sharma wrote:
> Hi Valdis,
> Thanks for your reply.
> I do not want to change kernel.

"do not want to" is very different from "applications can not be ported
to newer kernels".

Please realize that the Linux kernel developers have spent the last
decade ensuring that you should be able to update to the latest kernel
version with no problems or changes needed in your applications.  Lots
of companies now realize this and have no problem updating to a newer
kernel, while running their old applications.

So please don't spread misinformation about how applications will break
with new kernel versions, that is almost always not a true statement.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Asus N53 USB WiFi Driver porting
@ 2014-12-18 17:49       ` nick
From: nick @ 2014-12-18 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 2014-12-18 11:26 AM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 08:18:24PM +0530, Abhishek Sharma wrote:
>> Hi Valdis,
>> Thanks for your reply.
>> I do not want to change kernel.
>
> "do not want to" is very different from "applications can not be ported
> to newer kernels".
>
> Please realize that the Linux kernel developers have spent the last
> decade ensuring that you should be able to update to the latest kernel
> version with no problems or changes needed in your applications.  Lots
> of companies now realize this and have no problem updating to a newer
> kernel, while running their old applications.
>
> So please don't spread misinformation about how applications will break
> with new kernel versions, that is almost always not a true statement.
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Abhishek,
I am to agree with Greg KH here. The kernel community does a very good job of not breaking APIs for applications or
regressions. Linus also has openly stated he will not accept any patches in the main line kernel tree if they break
user space so you should be fine. Further more to be honest I am very impressed with the amount of how little APIs
or regressions we get compared to the amount of commits. Abhishek, in addition this seems more like you don't know
or are afraid of compiling the kernel over anything else. If you want post lsmod output from your system so I can
help teach you how to build the kernel correctly.
Nick

* Asus N53 USB WiFi Driver porting
@ 2014-12-18 18:17         ` Jeff Haran
From: Jeff Haran @ 2014-12-18 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

If it's a custom board, bringing up new kernel versions can be a quite daunting task that the management of engineering organizations is more often than not loathe to undertake. It can take a lot of education to convince them that the pain and unpredictable development schedule hit of a kernel upgrade is more than compensated for by the increases in stability and features one gets when one goes through the process.

Jeff Haran

* Asus N53 USB WiFi Driver porting
@ 2014-12-18 18:53           ` nick
From: nick @ 2014-12-18 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 2014-12-18 01:17 PM, Jeff Haran wrote:
> [...]
Jeff,
You are a 100% correct. I am assuming it wasn't a custom board but if it is them, you are right it's a lot of engineering work and time.
Nick