* hammer branch for v0.94.2 ready for QE
@ 2015-05-18 12:42 Loic Dachary
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Loic Dachary @ 2015-05-18 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Weinstein; +Cc: Ceph Development, Abhishek L

Hi Yuri,

The hammer branch for v0.94.2 as found at https://github.com/ceph/ceph/commits/hammer has been approved by Greg, Yehuda, Josh and Sam and is ready for QE. For the record, the head is https://github.com/ceph/ceph/commit/63832d4039889b6b704b88b86eaba4aadcfceb2e and the details of the tests run are at http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11492

Note that it has two more commits compared to what you tested before:

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/commit/293affe992118ed6e04f685030b2d83a794ca624 fixing http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11622
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/commit/a43d24861089a02f3b42061e482e05016a0021f6 fixing http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11604

which address two blockers that you listed at http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11492#QE-Validation

These two new commits only have influence, directly or indirectly, on rgw. They do not require or deserve a new run of the rados, fs or rbd suite because none of them depend on rgw, directly or indirectly.

The other two issues listed as blockers are

http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11613#note-4 do not need a backport to hammer
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11591 is a teuthology related issue that can be worked around and does not need to be a blocker for hammer

Cheers

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre

* Re: hammer branch for v0.94.2 ready for QE
@ 2015-05-18 15:23 ` Yuri Weinstein
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Yuri Weinstein @ 2015-05-18 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Ceph Development, Abhishek L

Loic

Thanks for the update.

There were some issues logged over weekend that were not noted in http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11492

http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11661
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11660

environment related:

http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11546
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11659
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11662

Also, I see rgw latest run with 27 failures http://pulpito.ceph.com/teuthology-2015-05-12_17:42:50-rgw-hammer-distro-basic-multi/

I will continue QE validation meanwhile.

Thx
YuriW

@ 2015-05-18 15:33   ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2015-05-18 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Weinstein; +Cc: Ceph Development, Abhishek L

On 18/05/2015 17:23, Yuri Weinstein wrote:
> Loic
>
> Thanks for the update.
>
> There were some issues logged over weekend that were not noted in http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11492
>
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11661
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11660

Are they specific to hammer ?

> environment related:
>
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11546
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11659
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11662
>
> Also, I see rgw latest run with 27 failures http://pulpito.ceph.com/teuthology-2015-05-12_17:42:50-rgw-hammer-distro-basic-multi/

All of which because of environmental problems:

 Failed to fetch package version from http://gitbuilder.ceph.com/ceph-deb-precise-x86_64-notcmalloc/sha1/b69fb89122d6f989152a29124cc7ed54b5e4d43b/version

Cheers

--

@ 2015-05-18 15:40     ` Yuri Weinstein
From: Yuri Weinstein @ 2015-05-18 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Ceph Development, Abhishek L

Yes issues are specific to hammer.

They are found in parts of rados suite, I am wondering if since we increased the amount of tests in it we ever saw them passed.

Thx
YuriW

--

@ 2015-05-26 16:13 ` Yuri Weinstein
From: Yuri Weinstein @ 2015-05-26 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Ceph Development, Abhishek L

Loic

This hammer release QE validation is taking unusually long time and has issues that has to be clarified.

All test results were summarized in http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11492

There are several reasons contributing to slowness of this validation, product related as well as infrastructure related, also high amount of tests make turn around time slower as well.

I think some suites, e.g. rados and upgrades for example will have to be re-run after issues had been clarified/fixed.

rados, krbd, knfs, samba suite test results need reviews by the team leads.

Thx
YuriW

@ 2015-05-26 16:25   ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2015-05-26 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Weinstein; +Cc: Ceph Development, Abhishek L

Hi Yuri,

If I'm not mistaken http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11660 is the last issue blocking v0.94.2. Is there another one I don't see ?

Cheers

--

@ 2015-05-26 16:39     ` Yuri Weinstein
From: Yuri Weinstein @ 2015-05-26 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Ceph Development, Abhishek L

Loic

There are infrastructure related issues as well as for example the rados suite needs review as many jobs failed.

See for example lines with "need review" notes which I am suggesting to be reviewed by the team leads.

rados run on typica and magna (for example):

http://pulpito-rdu.front.sepia.ceph.com/teuthology-2015-05-15_12:42:53-rados-hammer-distro-basic-typica/
http://pulpito.ceph.redhat.com/teuthology-2015-05-11_20:22:13-rados-hammer-distro-basic-magna/

I think it's more efficient to review such results as it feels like amount of failures is unproportionally high.

Thx
YuriW

--

@ 2015-05-27 21:12 ` Yuri Weinstein
From: Yuri Weinstein @ 2015-05-27 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Ceph Development, Abhishek L

QE validation status.

All detailed information is summarized in http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11492

Team leads pls review for do "go"-"no-go" decision.

Issues to be considered:

rados - passed ~2.8K jobs, listed issues (#11660, #11661) are not blockers
(NOTE: we also agreed to use the "0/7th" rule for future point releases, e.g. passing "--subset 0/7" will be sufficient for release)

knfs - #11789, #11790 - per Sage - not blockers; Greg, John - agreed?

samba - I assumed that failured in http://pulpito.ceph.com/teuthology-2015-05-18_13:46:55-samba-hammer-testing-basic-multi/ due to #6613, Greg pls confirm.

upgrade/client-upgrade - blocked by #11546 (3 jobs passed)
upgrade/firefly-x - blocked by #11546
upgrade/dumpling-firefly-x - blocked by #11546

Sage, Loic are you willing to push this release out without upgrade suites run due to packaging issues (NOTE: upgrade/giant-x -> hammer passed on all distros)?

Thx
YuriW

@ 2015-05-27 21:16   ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2015-05-27 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Weinstein; +Cc: Ceph Development, Abhishek L

On 27/05/2015 23:12, Yuri Weinstein wrote:
> QE validation status.
>
> All detailed information is summarized in http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11492
>
> Team leads pls review for do "go"-"no-go" decision.
>
> Issues to be considered:
>
> rados - passed ~2.8K jobs, listed issues (#11660, #11661) are not blockers
> (NOTE: we also agreed to use the "0/7th" rule for future point releases, e.g. passing "--subset 0/7" will be sufficient for release)
>
> knfs - #11789, #11790 - per Sage - not blockers; Greg, John - agreed?
>
> samba - I assumed that failured in http://pulpito.ceph.com/teuthology-2015-05-18_13:46:55-samba-hammer-testing-basic-multi/ due to #6613, Greg pls confirm.
>
> upgrade/client-upgrade - blocked by #11546 (3 jobs passed)
> upgrade/firefly-x - blocked by #11546
> upgrade/dumpling-firefly-x - blocked by #11546
>
> Sage, Loic are you willing to push this release out without upgrade suites run due to packaging issues (NOTE: upgrade/giant-x -> hammer passed on all distros)?

IMHO there should at least be a run that involves installing packages on all distributions for which #11546 is a blocker (all debs).

--

@ 2015-05-27 21:32   ` Gregory Farnum
From: Gregory Farnum @ 2015-05-27 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Weinstein; +Cc: Loic Dachary, Ceph Development, Abhishek L

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 2:12 PM, Yuri Weinstein <yweinste@redhat.com> wrote:
> QE validation status.
>
> All detailed information is summarized in http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11492
>
> Team leads pls review for do "go"-"no-go" decision.
>
> Issues to be considered:
>
> rados - passed ~2.8K jobs, listed issues (#11660, #11661) are not blockers
> (NOTE: we also agreed to use the "0/7th" rule for future point releases, e.g. passing "--subset 0/7" will be sufficient for release)
>
> knfs - #11789, #11790 - per Sage - not blockers; Greg, John - agreed?

Mmmm. I'm split in that these look to be new and I don't understand
anything about them, but we also don't care a ton about NFS re-export
of CephFS right now and I don't see how the current backport queue
could have induced them...

> samba - I assumed that failured in http://pulpito.ceph.com/teuthology-2015-05-18_13:46:55-samba-hammer-testing-basic-multi/ due to #6613, Greg pls confirm.

That looks to be the case.

* Re: hammer branch for v0.94.2 ready for QE
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-05-30 22:52 ` Yuri Weinstein
From: Yuri Weinstein @ 2015-05-30 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary
  Cc: Ceph Development, Abhishek L, Alfredo Deza, Loic Dachary,
	Gregory Farnum, Sage Weil, Ian Colle

QE validation is complete and this release is ready for publishing.

(Greg, I assumed that you approved this release with failures in knfs suite re: unresolved #11789, marked for v0.94.3 backport)

Summary of all tests performed for this releases and notes can be found in http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11492 .

Thx
YuriW

@ 2015-05-31 19:48   ` Gregory Farnum
From: Gregory Farnum @ 2015-05-31 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Weinstein
  Cc: Loic Dachary, Ceph Development, Abhishek L, Alfredo Deza,
	Loic Dachary, Sage Weil, Ian Colle

> QE validation is complete and this release is ready for publishing.
>
> (Greg, I assumed that you approved this release with failures in knfs suite
> re: unresolved #11789, marked for v0.94.3 backport)

Yeah...So I have no idea what we could have changed to cause these, and I bet it's some kind of environment issue (or perhaps a change in the kernel?). Nonetheless we've not seen them previously and I am uncomfortable doing a release with them — if something like this happened in RADOS I would not approve it. But given CephFS' current status and the fact that I don't know of anybody who's actually using knfs on top it's probably okay.
-Greg