* Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-04-14 10:27 wei.liu2
                   ` (8 more replies)
From: wei.liu2 @ 2015-04-14 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel, edmund.h.white, xumengpanda, dgolomb, jtweaver,
	oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, daniel.kiper, george.dunlap,
	rcojocaru, chao.p.peng, feng.wu, dario.faggioli, ross.lagerwall,
	malcolm.crossley, kai.huang, tiejun.chen, boris.ostrovsky,
	elena.ufimtseva, tamas.lengyel, Vijaya.Kumar, parth.dixit,
	ian.campbell, andrii.tseglytskyi, suravee.suthikulpanit,
	julien.grall, manishjaggi.oss, vijay.kilari, vkuznets,
	fabio.fantoni, ian.jackson

Hi all

We are now three months into 4.6 development window. This is an email to keep
track of all the patch series I gathered. It is by no means complete and / or
acurate. Feel free to reply this email with new projects or correct my
misunderstanding.

= Timeline =

We are planning on a 9-month release cycle, but we could also release a bit
earlier if everything goes well (no blocker, no critical bug).

* Development start: 6 Jan 2015
<=== We are here ===>
* Feature Freeze: 10 Jul 2015
* RCs: TBD
* Release Date: 9 Oct 2015 (could release earlier)

The RCs and release will of course depend on stability and bugs, and
will therefore be fairly unpredictable.

Bug-fixes, if Acked-by by maintainer, can go anytime before the First
RC. Later on we will need to figure out the risk of regression/reward
to eliminate the possiblity of a bug introducing another bug.

= Prognosis =

The states are: none -> fair -> ok -> good -> done

none - nothing yet
fair - still working on it, patches are prototypes or RFC
ok   - patches posted, acting on review
good - some last minute pieces
done - all done, might have bugs

= Bug Fixes =

Bug fixes can be checked in without a freeze exception throughout the
freeze, unless the maintainer thinks they are particularly high
risk.  In later RC's, we may even begin rejecting bug fixes if the
broken functionality is small and the risk to other functionality is
high.

Document changes can go in anytime if the maintainer is OK with it.

These are guidelines and principles to give you an idea where we're coming
from; if you think there's a good reason why making an exception for you will
help us make Xen better than not doing so, feel free to make your case.

== Hypervisor ==

*  Alternate p2m: support multiple copies of host p2m (ok)
  -  Ed White

*  Improve RTDS scheduler (none)
  -  Dagaen Golomb, Meng Xu

*  Credit2: introduce per-vcpu hard and soft affinity (good)
  -  Justin T. Weaver

*  sndif: add API for para-virtual sound (fair)
   v7 posted
  -  Oleksandr Dmytryshyn

*  gnttab: improve scalability (good)
   v5 posted
  -  Christoph Egger

*  Display IO topology when PXM data is available (good)
   v3 posted
  -  Boris Ostrovsky

*  Xen multiboot2-EFI support (fair)
   See http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-05/msg02281.html
   RFC posted
  -  Daniel Kiper

*  Credit2 production ready (none)
   cpu pinning, numa affinity and cpu reservation
  -  George Dunlap

*  VM event patches (none)
   Add support for XSETBV vm_events,
   Support hybernating guests
   Support for VMCALL-based vm_events
  -  Razvan Cojocaru

=== Hypervisor X86 ===

*  Intel Cache Allocation Technology (good)
  -  Chao Peng

*  VT-d Posted-interrupt (PI) (none)
  -  Wu, Feng

*  HT enabled with credit has 7.9 per perf drop. (none)
   kernbench demonstrated it
   http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/xen/devel/339409
   This has existed since credit1 introduction.
  -  Dario Faggioli

*  Support controlling the max C-state sub-state (fair)
   v3 posted
   Hadn't see the patch reposted.
  -  Ross Lagerwall

*  IOMMU ABI for guests to map their DMA regions (fair)
  -  Malcolm Crossley

*  Intel PML (Page Modification Logging) for Xen (none)
   design doc posted
  -  Kai Huang

*  RMRR fix (fair)
   RFC posted
  -  Tiejun Chen

*  VPMU - 'perf' support in Xen (good)
   v14 posted
   Need reviews/final ack.
  -  Boris Ostrovsky

*  PVH - AMD hardware support. (fair)
   RFC posted
  -  Elena Ufimtseva

*  PVH dom0 (fair)
   RFC posted
  -  Elena Ufimtseva

=== Hypervisor ARM ===

*  Mem_access for ARM (good)
   v13 posted
  -  Tamas K Lengyel

*  ITS support (fair )
  -  Vijaya Kumar K

*  Add ACPI support for arm64 on Xen (fair)
   RFC posted
  -  Parth Dixit

*  ARM: reenable support 32-bit userspace running in 64-bit guest (good)
   v2 posted
  -  Ian Campbell

*  ARM remote processor iommu module (GPUs + IPUs) (fair)
   v3 posted
  -  Andrii Tseglytskyi

*  ARM VM save/restore/live migration (none)
   Need to rebased against migrationv2 - no code posted.
  -  None

*  ARM GICv2m support (none)
  -  Suravee Suthikulanit

*  ARM - passthrough of non-PCI (ok)
  -  Julien Grall

*  ARM  PCI passthrough (none)
  -  Manish Jaggi
  -  Vijay Kilari

== Xen toolstack ==

*  toolstack-based approach to pvhvm guest kexec (fair)
   also contains hypervisor side change
  -  Vitaly Kuznetsov

*  libxl: add qxl vga interface support for upstream qemu (fair)
  -  Fabio Fantoni

*  Toolstack-based approach to pvhvm guest kexec (ok)
   v4 posted
  -  Vitaly Kuznetsov

*  libxl: cancelling asynchronous operations (fair)
   RFC posted
  -  Ian Jackson

*  VMware tools support (fair)
  -  Don Slutz

*  PV USB support in libxl (fair)
  -  Chunyan Liu

*  HVM USB support in libxl (fair)
  -  George Dunlap

*  Blktap2 support (fair)
  -  George Dunlap

*  pvscsi in libxl (fair)
  -  Juergen Gross and Olaf

*  COarse-grain LOck-stepping Virtual Machines in Xen (fair)
   RFC v5 posted
  -  Wen Congyang
  -  Gui Jianfeng
  -  Yang Hongyang
  -  Dong, Eddie

*  New Migration (v2). (good)
   v9 (libxc)
   git://xenbits.xen.org/people/andrewcoop/xen.git
   Seems that it might need to slip or we run v1 alongside v2.
  -  Andrew Cooper & David Vrabel

*  tmem migrationv2 patches. (none)
  -  Bob Liu & Andrew Cooper & David Vrabel

*  Remus using migration-v2 (fair)
   RFC posted - depends on v6 of 'New Migration'
  -  Yang Hongyang

*  snapshot API extension (checkpointing disk) (fair)
   v10
  -  Chunyan Liu

*  PVH - Migration of PVH DomUs. (none)
   Depends on migration2 code
  -  Roger Pau Monné

*  PVH - Migration of guests from a PVH dom0  (none)
   Depends on migration2 code
  -  Roger Pau Monné

*  Regression in PCI passthrough of INTx legacy devices can trigger list corruption (good)
   Sander reported it. Two different types of patches available.
  -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

== QEMU ==

*  Linux-based QEMU upstream stub domain (fair)
   RFC posted
  -  Eric Shelton

*  Using qemu-upstream in a stubdomain (none)
   Will use rump kernels.
  -  Wei Liu

*  Intel IGD PCI GPU passthrough (ok)
   v5 posted
  -  Chen, Tiejun

== Linux ==

*  Linux ARM - Device assigment (PCI) (none)
   Depends on Xen pieces which are on the Xen 4.6 list.
  -  Manish Jaggi

*  VPMU - 'perf' support in Linux (ok)
   Depends on Xen patches
   Acked by David Vrabel
  -  Boris Ostrovsky

*  vNUMA in Linux (ok)
   v6 posted
  -  Wei Liu

*  COLO Agent in Linux (fair)
  -  Gui Jianfeng
  -  Yang Hongyang
  -  Dong, Eddie

*  ARM64 - support 64K guest (none)
  -  Julien Grall

== OpenStack ==

*  setup CI loop for OpenStack (fair)
  -  Anthony Perard

== FreeBSD ==

*  PVH FreeBSD dom0 (ok)
   FreeBSD 11 goal. Toolstack side done in Xen 4.5
  -  Roger Pau Monné

== Other OSes (MiniOS, QNX) ==

*  ARM - MiniOS (fair)
   v7 posted
  -  Thomas Leonard

*  PV drivers for automotive kernels (fair)
  -  Artem Mygaiev

*  mini-os: xenbus changes for rump kernels (ok)
   git://xenbits.xen.org/people/iwj/rumpuser-xen.git
   branch: base.dev-xen-xenbus.v1..dev-xen-xenbus.v1
   v2 posted
  -  Ian Jackson

== OSSTEST ==

*  OSSTest: studom test case (none)
  -  Wei Liu

*  OSSTest: libvirt migration (fair)
  -  Wei Liu

*  OSSTest: upgrade to Debian Jessie (none)
  -  Wei Liu

*  OSSTest: performance test (fair)
  -  Dario Faggioli

*  CPU pool test case (fair)
  -  Dario Faggioli

*  Add a FreeBSD host (fair)
  -  Roger Pau Monné

*  Nested virt test case

*  v8 posted (fair)
  -  Robert Hu

== Deferred ==

*  ucode=scan also scan compressed initramfs (none)
  -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

*  adjust log buffer based on memmap size (none)
  -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

*  Further tmem cleanups/fixes (fair)
  -  Bob Liu

*  1TB slow destruction (ok)
  -  Bob Liu

*  cpuid leveling (none)
   http://xenbits.xen.org/people/andrewcoop/feature-levelling/feature-levelling-D.pdf
  -  Andrew Cooper

*  IO-NUMA - hwloc and xl (none)
   Andrew Cooper had an RFC patch for hwloc
   add restrictions  as to which devices cannot safely/functionally be split apart.
  -  Boris Ostrovsky

*  Convert tasklet to per-cpu tasklets (fair)
   RFC posted
  -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

*  Xen Boot Information (xbi) (ok)
   Dependency for GRUB2 + EFI work
   http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-10/msg02068.html
   v4, No go for full patchset. Only some of the patches.
   No ARM EFI hardware (yet) available to test them.
  -  Daniel Kiper

*  Linux ARM - Device assigment usage in Linux code (arch/arm) non-PCI (none)
   Depends on Xen pieces which are on the Xen 4.6 list.
  -  Julien Grall

== Completed ==

*  Clean-up of mem-event subsystem (good)
   v7 posted
  -  Tamas K Lengyel

*  HVM guest NUMA (SRAT) (good)
   See vNUMA in Xen toolstack
  -  Wei Liu

*  vNUMA in Xen toolstack (good)
   v8 posted
  -  Wei Liu

*  Intel memory bandwidth monitoring for VMs (fair)
   v9 posted
  -  Chao Peng

*  ARM - SMMU resync of Linux's one (ok)
  -  Julien Grall

*  Add support for Xilinx ZynqMP SoC (fair)
  -  Edgar E. Iglesias

*  Add support for Huawei hip04-d01 platform (ok)
  -  Frediano Ziglio

*  Thunder X platform support (ok)
  -  Vijay Kilari

*  Splitting off mini-os (done)
  -  Wei Liu

*  OVMF on ARM (done)
   v4 posted
  -  Ard Biesheuvel

*  Update Xen tree to use upstream OVMF (done)
  -  Anthony PERARD

*  Enable vTPM subsystem on TPM 2.0 (done)
  -  Xu, Quan

*  SPICE support improvement (done)
  -  Fabio Fantoni

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-04-14 10:34 ` Razvan Cojocaru
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Razvan Cojocaru @ 2015-04-14 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2, xen-devel, edmund.h.white, xumengpanda, dgolomb,
	jtweaver, oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, daniel.kiper,
	george.dunlap, chao.p.peng, feng.wu, dario.faggioli,
	ross.lagerwall, malcolm.crossley, kai.huang, tiejun.chen,
	boris.ostrovsky, elena.ufimtseva, tamas.lengyel, Vijaya.Kumar,
	parth.dixit, ian.campbell, andrii.tseglytskyi,
	suravee.suthikulpanit, julien.grall, manishjaggi.oss,
	vijay.kilari, vkuznets, fabio.fantoni, ian.jackson, dslutz,
	cyliu, jgross

On 04/14/2015 01:27 PM, wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
> *  VM event patches (none)
>    Add support for XSETBV vm_events,
>    Support hybernating guests
>    Support for VMCALL-based vm_events
>   -  Razvan Cojocaru

These depend on Tamas' Clean-up of mem-event subsystem series (which
hasn't been applied in its entirety). If you prefer, I can apply Tamas'
patches manually on a fresh Xen mainline copy and start sending out our
patches built on top of that.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Razvan

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-04-14 10:37   ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-04-14 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Razvan Cojocaru
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, feng.wu, eddie.dong, oleksandr.dmytryshyn,
	chegger, cyliu, fabio.fantoni, artem.mygaiev, edgar.iglesias,
	chao.p.peng, parth.dixit, dgolomb, manishjaggi.oss, julien.grall,
	jtweaver, wency, oleksandr.tyshchenko, tamas.lengyel,
	Vijaya.Kumar, anthony.perard, xen-devel, eshelton, olaf,
	ian.campbell, vijay.kilari, julien.grall, frediano.ziglio,
	quan.xu, robert.hu, boris.ostrovsky, vkuznets,
	andrii.tseglytskyi, jgross, talex5, wei.liu2, ard.biesh

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 01:34:45PM +0300, Razvan Cojocaru wrote:
> On 04/14/2015 01:27 PM, wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
> > *  VM event patches (none)
> >    Add support for XSETBV vm_events,
> >    Support hybernating guests
> >    Support for VMCALL-based vm_events
> >   -  Razvan Cojocaru
>
> These depend on Tamas' Clean-up of mem-event subsystem series (which
> hasn't been applied in its entirety). If you prefer, I can apply Tamas'
> patches manually on a fresh Xen mainline copy and start sending out our
> patches built on top of that.
>
> What do you think?

This email is just a general reminder of our development cycle.

There is no need to rush IMHO. You still have several months.

Wei.

> Thanks,
> Razvan

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-04-14 12:25 ` Jaggi, Manish
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Jaggi, Manish @ 2015-04-14 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2, xen-devel, edmund.h.white, xumengpanda, dgolomb,
	jtweaver, oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, daniel.kiper,
	george.dunlap, rcojocaru, chao.p.peng, feng.wu, dario.faggioli,
	ross.lagerwall, malcolm.crossley

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 11563 bytes --]

________________________________
[...]

[manish] I have started pushing the patches

@ 2015-04-14 12:34   ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2015-04-14 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaggi, Manish, wei.liu2, xen-devel, edmund.h.white, xumengpanda,
	dgolomb, jtweaver, oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, daniel.kiper,
	george.dunlap, rcojocaru, chao.p.peng, feng.wu, dario.faggioli,
	ross.lagerwall

Hi Manish,

On 14/04/15 13:25, Jaggi, Manish wrote:
> *  ARM  PCI passthrough (none)
>   -  Manish Jaggi
>   -  Vijay Kilari
> [manish] I have started pushing the patches

Finding the "[manish]" in the mail was like finding a needle in a
haystack. And I knew that you were using this tag...

Please only quote the relevant part of the mail. I would also advice you
to configure your email client correctly in order to avoid the tag.

Julien Grall

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-04-14 13:28 ` Andrew Cooper
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2015-04-14 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2, xen-devel, edmund.h.white, xumengpanda, dgolomb,

On 14/04/15 11:27, wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
> === Hypervisor X86 ===
>
> *  VT-d Posted-interrupt (PI) (none)
>   -  Wu, Feng

V1 posted

> *  Intel PML (Page Modification Logging) for Xen (none)
>    design doc posted
>   -  Kai Huang

V1 posted (good)

> *  PVH - AMD hardware support. (fair)
>    RFC posted
>   -  Elena Ufimtseva

I am not aware of any patches along these lines?

> == Xen toolstack ==
>
> *  New Migration (v2). (good)
>    v9 (libxc)
>    git://xenbits.xen.org/people/andrewcoop/xen.git
>    Seems that it might need to slip or we run v1 alongside v2.
>   -  Andrew Cooper & David Vrabel

Hopefully no need to slip, but there are very good reasons to run v1
alongside v2.

> *  PVH - Migration of guests from a PVH dom0  (none)
>    Depends on migration2 code
>   -  Roger Pau Monné

v1 posted.

> == Deferred ==
>
> *  ucode=scan also scan compressed initramfs (none)
>   -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
>
> *  adjust log buffer based on memmap size (none)
>   -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
>
> *  Further tmem cleanups/fixes (fair)
>   -  Bob Liu
>
> *  1TB slow destruction (ok)
>   -  Bob Liu
>
> *  cpuid leveling (none)
>    http://xenbits.xen.org/people/andrewcoop/feature-levelling/feature-levelling-D.pdf
>   -  Andrew Cooper

Now starting active work on this, but I can't say yet whether it is even
plausible to be done in the 4.6 timeframe.

~Andrew

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-04-14 13:33 ` George Dunlap
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: George Dunlap @ 2015-04-14 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2, xen-devel, edmund.h.white, xumengpanda, dgolomb,
	jtweaver, oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, daniel.kiper, rcojocaru,

On 04/14/2015 11:27 AM, wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
> == Hypervisor ==
>
> *  Alternate p2m: support multiple copies of host p2m (ok)
>   -  Ed White
>
> *  Improve RTDS scheduler (none)
>   -  Dagaen Golomb, Meng Xu

This is a little vague... exactly what kinds of improvements are
envisioned here?

> *  Credit2: introduce per-vcpu hard and soft affinity (good)
>   -  Justin T. Weaver

Still good (Probably in part awaiting my further review -- should get to
that this week)

> *  Credit2 production ready (none)
>    cpu pinning, numa affinity and cpu reservation
>   -  George Dunlap

The first two are identical to Justin Weaver's patch; you might want to
note that.  No work on CPU reservation yet.

> *  PV USB support in libxl (fair)
>   -  Chunyan Liu
>
> *  HVM USB support in libxl (fair)
>   -  George Dunlap

Haven't heard anything on the first one in a while; the second one is
basically blocked on the first.

> *  Blktap2 support (fair)
>   -  George Dunlap

Working on integrating this with raisin; still "fair" by the definitions
above.

 -George

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-04-14 13:33   ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-04-14 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cooper; +Cc: Elena Ufimtseva, xen-devel, wei.liu2

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 02:28:29PM +0100, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 14/04/15 11:27, wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
> > === Hypervisor X86 ===
> >
> > *  VT-d Posted-interrupt (PI) (none)
> >   -  Wu, Feng
>
> V1 posted
>
> > *  Intel PML (Page Modification Logging) for Xen (none)
> >    design doc posted
> >   -  Kai Huang
>
> V1 posted (good)
>

> > *  PVH - AMD hardware support. (fair)
> >    RFC posted
> >   -  Elena Ufimtseva
>
> I am not aware of any patches along these lines?

I've seen some patches from Elena that look related to AMD PVH. Maybe
I'm mistaken. I will let her confirm.

Wei.

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-04-14 13:35 ` Tamas Lengyel
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Tamas Lengyel @ 2015-04-14 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, feng.wu, Eddie Dong, Oleksandr Dmytryshyn,
	chegger, cyliu, fabio.fantoni, Artem Mygaiev, Edgar E. Iglesias,
	chao.p.peng, Parth Dixit, dgolomb, manish jaggi, Julien Grall,
	jtweaver, wency, Razvan Cojocaru, Oleksandr Tyshchenko,
	guijianfeng, Vijaya.Kumar, Anthony PERARD, xen-devel, eshelton,
	olaf, Ian Campbell, Vijay Kilari

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 10783 bytes --]

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 12:27 PM, <wei.liu2@citrix.com> wrote:

> [...]
>    Support hybernating guests
>    Support for VMCALL-based vm_events
>   -  Razvan Cojocaru
>
> === Hypervisor X86 ===
>
> *  Intel Cache Allocation Technology (good)
>   -  Chao Peng
>
> *  VT-d Posted-interrupt (PI) (none)
>   -  Wu, Feng
>
> *  HT enabled with credit has 7.9 per perf drop. (none)
>    kernbench demonstrated it
>    http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/xen/devel/339409
>    This has existed since credit1 introduction.
>   -  Dario Faggioli
>
> *  Support controlling the max C-state sub-state (fair)
>    v3 posted
>    Hadn't see the patch reposted.
>   -  Ross Lagerwall
>
> *  IOMMU ABI for guests to map their DMA regions (fair)
>   -  Malcolm Crossley
>
> *  Intel PML (Page Modification Logging) for Xen (none)

v14 has been posted as well, v15 will be sent this week.

> [...]
>    Andrew Cooper had an RFC patch for hwloc
>    add restrictions  as to which devices cannot safely/functionally be
> split apart.
>   -  Boris Ostrovsky
>
> *  Convert tasklet to per-cpu tasklets (fair)
>    RFC posted
>   -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
>
> *  Xen Boot Information (xbi) (ok)
>    Dependency for GRUB2 + EFI work
>    http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-10/msg02068.html
>    v4, No go for full patchset. Only some of the patches.
>    No ARM EFI hardware (yet) available to test them.
>   -  Daniel Kiper
>
> *  Linux ARM - Device assigment usage in Linux code (arch/arm) non-PCI
> (none)
>    Depends on Xen pieces which are on the Xen 4.6 list.
>   -  Julien Grall
>
> == Completed ==
>
> *  Clean-up of mem-event subsystem (good)

About half of the series has been merged already, the remaining patches had
been posted as v9.

@ 2015-04-14 13:48   ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2015-04-14 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2, Tamas Lengyel
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, Artem Mygaiev, Eddie Dong, Oleksandr Dmytryshyn,
	chegger, Chun Yan Liu, fabio.fantoni, chao.p.peng,
	Edgar E. Iglesias, Parth Dixit, dgolomb, manish jaggi, kai.huang,
	jtweaver, Vijay Kilari, Razvan Cojocaru, Oleksandr Tyshchenko,
	guijianfeng, Vijaya.Kumar, Anthony PERARD, xen-devel, eshelton,
	olaf, Ian Campbell, wency, Julien Grall

>>> On 14.04.15 at 15:35, <tamas.lengyel@zentific.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 12:27 PM, <wei.liu2@citrix.com> wrote:

Tamas (and others not doing so) - please trim your quotes in replies.

Wei - could you add a sentence saying so near the top of future mails
you send in this regard?

Jan

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-04-14 13:52     ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-04-14 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, Artem Mygaiev, Eddie Dong, Oleksandr Dmytryshyn,

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 02:48:06PM +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 12:27 PM, <wei.liu2@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> Tamas (and others not doing so) - please trim your quotes in replies.
>
> Wei - could you add a sentence saying so near the top of future mails
> you send in this regard?

No problem.

Wei.

@ 2015-04-14 14:01   ` Meng Xu
From: Meng Xu @ 2015-04-14 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, Chong Li, feng.wu, eddie.dong,
	Oleksandr Dmytryshyn, chegger, cyliu, fabio.fantoni,
	Artem Mygaiev, Edgar E. Iglesias, Chao Peng, Parth Dixit,
	Dagaen Golomb, manish jaggi, Julien Grall, jtweaver, wency,
	rcojocaru, Oleksandr Tyshchenko, Tamas

> On 04/14/2015 11:27 AM, wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
> > == Hypervisor ==
> >
> > *  Alternate p2m: support multiple copies of host p2m (ok)
> >   -  Ed White
> >
> > *  Improve RTDS scheduler (none)
> >   -  Dagaen Golomb, Meng Xu
>
> This is a little vague... exactly what kinds of improvements are
> envisioned here?

​We are changing the RTDS scheduler from quantum driven to ​event driven.
In other words, we will only invoke the RTDS scheduler at specific
scheduling event (such as VCPU budget replenishment, VCPU wake up, VCPU
deadline arrives). This will reduce the frequency of invoking the RTDS
scheduler and thus reduce the scheduling overhead in hypervisor.

Another improvement is supporting getting/setting each VCPU's parameters in
xl tool. Chong Li (chong.li@wustl.edu), cc.ed, is working on this right
now. He will finish the first version of the patch soon and we will go
though some internal code review before sending out the patch to the
mailing list.

As to the progress,
Dagaen finished the first version of the patch and we are going through
internal code review and refining the code. We will send out the patch to
the mailing list once we are satisfied with the code. (The status about
this item should be marked as none now.)

Thanks,

Meng​

--

-----------
Meng Xu

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-04-14 14:16 ` Boris Ostrovsky
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Boris Ostrovsky @ 2015-04-14 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2, xen-devel, edmund.h.white, xumengpanda, dgolomb,
	jtweaver, oleksandr.dmytryshyn, chegger, daniel.kiper,
	george.dunlap, rcojocaru, chao.p.peng, feng.wu, dario.faggioli,
	ross.lagerwall, malcolm.crossley, kai.huang, tiejun.chen,
	elena.ufimtseva, tamas.lengyel, Vijaya.Kumar, parth.dixit,
	ian.campbell, andrii.tseglytskyi, suravee.suthikulpanit,
	julien.grall, manishjaggi.oss, vijay.kilari, vkuznets,
	fabio.fantoni, ian.jackson, dslutz, cyliu, jgross, olaf

On 04/14/2015 06:27 AM, wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:

> *  Display IO topology when PXM data is available (good)
>     v3 posted
>    -  Boris Ostrovsky

I should have v7 in the next day or so.

> *  VPMU - 'perf' support in Xen (good)
>     v14 posted
>     Need reviews/final ack.
>    -  Boris Ostrovsky

New version posted a week or so ago, there were very few changes.

-boris

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-04-14 14:26     ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2015-04-14 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall; +Cc: xen-devel, Jaggi, Manish

On Tue, 2015-04-14 at 13:34 +0100, Julien Grall wrote:
> Hi Manish,
>
> On 14/04/15 13:25, Jaggi, Manish wrote:
> > *  ARM  PCI passthrough (none)
> >   -  Manish Jaggi
> >   -  Vijay Kilari
> > [manish] I have started pushing the patches
>
> Finding the "[manish]" in the mail was like finding a needle in a
> haystack. And I knew that you were using this tag...
>
> Please only quote the relevant part of the mail. I would also advice you
> to configure your email client correctly in order to avoid the tag.

+2 (thousand).

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-04-14 14:57       ` Jaggi, Manish
From: Jaggi, Manish @ 2015-04-14 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell, Julien Grall; +Cc: xen-devel

On Tue, 2015-04-14 at 13:34 +0100, Julien Grall wrote:
> Hi Manish,
>
> On 14/04/15 13:25, Jaggi, Manish wrote:
> > *  ARM  PCI passthrough (none)
> >   -  Manish Jaggi
> >   -  Vijay Kilari
> > [manish] I have started pushing the patches
>
> Finding the "[manish]" in the mail was like finding a needle in a
> haystack. And I knew that you were using this tag...
>
> Please only quote the relevant part of the mail. I would also advice you
> to configure your email client correctly in order to avoid the tag.

+2 (thousand).

I will stop using office 365 now. It is our default email client.

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-04-14 15:37 ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2015-04-14 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, feng.wu, eddie.dong, oleksandr.dmytryshyn,
	chegger, cyliu, fabio.fantoni, artem.mygaiev, edgar.iglesias,
	chao.p.peng, parth.dixit, dgolomb, manishjaggi.oss, julien.grall,
	jtweaver, wency, rcojocaru, oleksandr.tyshchenko, tamas.lengyel,
	Vijaya.Kumar, anthony.perard, xen-devel, eshelton, olaf,
	ian.campbell, vijay.kilari, julien.grall, frediano.ziglio,
	quan.xu, robert.hu, boris.ostrovsky, vkuznets,
	andrii.tseglytskyi, jgross, talex5

> *  Regression in PCI passthrough of INTx legacy devices can trigger list corruption (good)
>    Sander reported it. Two different types of patches available.
>   -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

Done.

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-04-14 18:51     ` Elena Ufimtseva
From: Elena Ufimtseva @ 2015-04-14 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: Andrew Cooper, xen-devel

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 02:33:23PM +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 02:28:29PM +0100, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> > On 14/04/15 11:27, wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
> > > === Hypervisor X86 ===
> > >
> > > *  VT-d Posted-interrupt (PI) (none)
> > >   -  Wu, Feng
> >
> > V1 posted
> >
> > > *  Intel PML (Page Modification Logging) for Xen (none)
> > >    design doc posted
> > >   -  Kai Huang
> >
> > V1 posted (good)
> >

> > > *  PVH - AMD hardware support. (fair)
> > >    RFC posted
> > >   -  Elena Ufimtseva
> >
> > I am not aware of any patches along these lines?
> >

> I've seen some patches from Elena that look related to AMD PVH. Maybe
> I'm mistaken. I will let her confirm.

Wei
I will be reposting Mukesh PVH DomU patches shortly, but so far there
were no AMD patches from me.

@ 2015-04-15  2:34   ` Chun Yan Liu
From: Chun Yan Liu @ 2015-04-15  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: olaf, chegger, suravee.suthikulpanit, rcojocaru, Vijaya.Kumar,
	andrew.cooper3, anthony.perard, dario.faggioli, david.vrabel,
	ian.campbell, julien.grall, malcolm.crossley, roger.pau,
	ross.lagerwall, wei.liu2, guijianfeng, wency, yanghy,
	George Dunlap, ian.jackson, andrii.tseglytskyi, artem.mygaiev,
	oleksandr.dmytryshyn, oleksandr.tyshchenko, edgar.iglesias,
	manishjaggi.oss, talex5, vijay.kilari, xumengpanda, jtweaver,
	frediano.zigl

Dunlap <george.dunlap@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
> On 04/14/2015 11:27 AM, wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
> > == Hypervisor ==
> >
> > *  Alternate p2m: support multiple copies of host p2m (ok)
> >   -  Ed White
> >
> > *  Improve RTDS scheduler (none)
> >   -  Dagaen Golomb, Meng Xu
>
> This is a little vague... exactly what kinds of improvements are
> envisioned here?
>
> > *  Credit2: introduce per-vcpu hard and soft affinity (good)
> >   -  Justin T. Weaver
>
> Still good (Probably in part awaiting my further review -- should get to
> that this week)
>
> > *  Credit2 production ready (none)
> >    cpu pinning, numa affinity and cpu reservation
> >   -  George Dunlap
>
> The first two are identical to Justin Weaver's patch; you might want to
> note that.  No work on CPU reservation yet.
>
> > *  PV USB support in libxl (fair)
> >   -  Chunyan Liu
> >
> > *  HVM USB support in libxl (fair)
> >   -  George Dunlap
>
> Haven't heard anything on the first one in a while; the second one is
> basically blocked on the first.

New version should be posted this week, addressing all comments of last
version.

@ 2015-04-15  9:09     ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2015-04-15  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel, tamas.lengyel, Razvan Cojocaru

On Tue, 2015-04-14 at 11:37 +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 01:34:45PM +0300, Razvan Cojocaru wrote:
> > On 04/14/2015 01:27 PM, wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
> > > *  VM event patches (none)
> > >    Add support for XSETBV vm_events,
> > >    Support hybernating guests
> > >    Support for VMCALL-based vm_events
> > >   -  Razvan Cojocaru
> >
> > These depend on Tamas' Clean-up of mem-event subsystem series (which
> > hasn't been applied in its entirety). If you prefer, I can apply Tamas'
> > patches manually on a fresh Xen mainline copy and start sending out our
> > patches built on top of that.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >

> This email is just a general reminder of our development cycle.
>
> There is no need to rush IMHO. You still have several months.

More generally though it is find IMHO to send out a series which depends
on another so long as the 00/NN email clearly explains what it needs to
be applied on top of (i.e. a reference to the specific version of the
other series).

You should omit that other tree when posting, by passing git send-email
the correct range to just send your own stuff.

And under such circumstances it might also be a good idea to also
include a git url, to make it easier for people to pickup the right set
of things.

Ian.

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-04-15  9:11       ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2015-04-15  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

On Tue, 2015-04-14 at 14:52 +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> > > On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 12:27 PM, <wei.liu2@citrix.com> wrote:
> >
> > Tamas (and others not doing so) - please trim your quotes in replies.
> >
> > Wei - could you add a sentence saying so near the top of future mails
> > you send in this regard?
> >

> No problem.

Should we also ask people to trim the CC list to just those interested
in the quoted stuff? Or do people think that erring on the side of not
trimming too many people?

People might also to consider changing the subject, e.g. "Status of $FOO
(Was: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder))".

Ian.

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-04-15  9:18         ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2015-04-15  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell, Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

>>> On 15.04.15 at 11:11, <ian.campbell@citrix.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Tamas (and others not doing so) - please trim your quotes in replies.
>> >
>> > Wei - could you add a sentence saying so near the top of future mails
>> > you send in this regard?
>> >

>> No problem.
>
> Should we also ask people to trim the CC list to just those interested
> in the quoted stuff? Or do people think that erring on the side of not
> trimming too many people?
>
> People might also to consider changing the subject, e.g. "Status of $FOO
> (Was: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder))".

Both good ideas imo.

Jan

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-04-15 16:01           ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2015-04-15 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: Wei Liu, Ian Campbell, xen-devel

> On 15 Apr 2015, at 10:18, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@suse.com> wrote:
>>
>> Should we also ask people to trim the CC list to just those interested
>> in the quoted stuff? Or do people think that erring on the side of not
>> trimming too many people?
>>
>> People might also to consider changing the subject, e.g. "Status of $FOO
>> (Was: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder))".
>
> Both good ideas imo.

+1

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-04-28 17:17 ` Jim Fehlig
From: Jim Fehlig @ 2015-04-28 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, feng.wu, eddie.dong, oleksandr.dmytryshyn,

wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
> Hi all
>
> We are now three months into 4.6 development window. This is an email to keep
> track of all the patch series I gathered. It is by no means complete and / or
> acurate. Feel free to reply this email with new projects or correct my
> misunderstanding.

[...]
> *  libxl: add qxl vga interface support for upstream qemu (fair)
>   -  Fabio Fantoni

I've been working on SPICE support in the libvirt libxl driver and
quickly came across the lack of support for qxl device.  What is the
status of this work?  AFAICT, there was a v16 posted nearly a year ago
with no comments

http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-05/msg03214.html

I noticed this work was committed in the 4.3 dev cycle, but was reverted
before the release by commit 5479961a, which describes problems with
"instructions that cannot be used for MMIO".  Has any progress been made
on that front?  Is Fabio's patch the only piece missing to support qxl
devices?

Regards,
Jim

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-04-28 22:17   ` Jim Fehlig
From: Jim Fehlig @ 2015-04-28 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, feng.wu, ian.jackson, oleksandr.dmytryshyn,
	chegger, cyliu, fabio.fantoni, edgar.iglesias, chao.p.peng,
	parth.dixit, dgolomb, manishjaggi.oss, kai.huang, jtweaver,
	vijay.kilari, rcojocaru, ross.lagerwall, tamas.lengyel,
	Vijaya.Kumar, anthony.perard, xen-devel, eshelton, olaf,
	ian.campbell, wency, julien.grall, frediano.ziglio, quan.xu,
	tiejun.chen, boris.ostrovsky, vkuznets, andrii.tseglytskyi,
	jgross, talex5, malcolm.crossley, ard.bie

Jim Fehlig wrote:
> wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> We are now three months into 4.6 development window. This is an email to keep
>> track of all the patch series I gathered. It is by no means complete and / or
>> acurate. Feel free to reply this email with new projects or correct my
>> misunderstanding.
>>

> [...]
>
>> *  libxl: add qxl vga interface support for upstream qemu (fair)
>>   -  Fabio Fantoni
>>

> I've been working on SPICE support in the libvirt libxl driver and
> quickly came across the lack of support for qxl device.  What is the
> status of this work?  AFAICT, there was a v16 posted nearly a year ago
> with no comments
>
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-05/msg03214.html

After playing with this more, I think the patch will need a
LIBXL_HAVE_QXL or similar in libxl.h.

> I noticed this work was committed in the 4.3 dev cycle, but was reverted
> before the release by commit 5479961a, which describes problems with
> "instructions that cannot be used for MMIO".  Has any progress been made
> on that front?  Is Fabio's patch the only piece missing to support qxl
> devices?

I've tried Fabio's patch on top of fairly recent xen-unstable and don't
see the issues mentioned in the commit message of 5479961a.  Note that I
only tried linux HVM guests though.

Regards,
Jim

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-04-29  0:21     ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2015-04-29  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Fehlig, wei.liu2
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, feng.wu, ian.jackson, oleksandr.dmytryshyn,

On 28/04/15 23:17, Jim Fehlig wrote:
> Jim Fehlig wrote:
>> wei.liu2@citrix.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> We are now three months into 4.6 development window. This is an email to keep
>>> track of all the patch series I gathered. It is by no means complete and / or
>>> acurate. Feel free to reply this email with new projects or correct my
>>> misunderstanding.
>>>

>> [...]
>>
>>> *  libxl: add qxl vga interface support for upstream qemu (fair)
>>>    -  Fabio Fantoni
>>>

>> I've been working on SPICE support in the libvirt libxl driver and
>> quickly came across the lack of support for qxl device.  What is the
>> status of this work?  AFAICT, there was a v16 posted nearly a year ago
>> with no comments
>>
>> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-05/msg03214.html
>>
> After playing with this more, I think the patch will need a
> LIBXL_HAVE_QXL or similar in libxl.h.
>
>> I noticed this work was committed in the 4.3 dev cycle, but was reverted
>> before the release by commit 5479961a, which describes problems with
>> "instructions that cannot be used for MMIO".  Has any progress been made
>> on that front?  Is Fabio's patch the only piece missing to support qxl
>> devices?
>>
> I've tried Fabio's patch on top of fairly recent xen-unstable and don't
> see the issues mentioned in the commit message of 5479961a.  Note that I
> only tried linux HVM guests though.

16byte decomposed instruction still don't get passed correctly to the
device model.

This has been discussed at the hackathon and plan is in place.

~Andrew

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-04-29 10:23       ` Fabio Fantoni
From: Fabio Fantoni @ 2015-04-29 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cooper, Jim Fehlig, wei.liu2
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, feng.wu, ian.jackson, oleksandr.dmytryshyn,
	chegger, cyliu, edgar.iglesias, chao.p.peng, parth.dixit,
	dgolomb, eshelton, kai.huang, jtweaver, vijay.kilari, rcojocaru,
	ross.lagerwall, tamas.lengyel, Vijaya.Kumar, anthony.perard,
	xen-devel, manishjaggi.oss, olaf, ian.campbell, wency,
	julien.grall, frediano.ziglio, quan.xu, tiejun.chen,
	boris.ostrovsky, vkuznets, andrii.tseglytskyi, jgross, talex5,
	malcolm.crossley, ard.biesheuvel, geo

Il 29/04/2015 02:21, Andrew Cooper ha scritto:
> On 28/04/15 23:17, Jim Fehlig wrote:
>> Jim Fehlig wrote:

>>> [...]
>>> I've been working on SPICE support in the libvirt libxl driver and
>>> quickly came across the lack of support for qxl device.  What is the
>>> status of this work?  AFAICT, there was a v16 posted nearly a year ago
>>> with no comments
>>>
>>> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-05/msg03214.html
>> After playing with this more, I think the patch will need a
>> LIBXL_HAVE_QXL or similar in libxl.h.
>>
>>> I noticed this work was committed in the 4.3 dev cycle, but was
>>> reverted
>>> before the release by commit 5479961a, which describes problems with
>>> "instructions that cannot be used for MMIO".  Has any progress been
>>> made
>>> on that front?  Is Fabio's patch the only piece missing to support qxl
>>> devices?
>> I've tried Fabio's patch on top of fairly recent xen-unstable and don't
>> see the issues mentioned in the commit message of 5479961a. Note that I
>> only tried linux HVM guests though.

qxl vga is working good on windows domUs except problem after save/restore
on linux domUs instead I wasn't able to get it working
today I tried with fedora 22 (beta3) lxde live dvd (have included latest
qxl drivers available): with both stdvga and qxl mouse is working but
not visible and I not understand why, I'll try also lubuntu 15.04.
can you tell me what dom0 and domU have you use for test please?

> 16byte decomposed instruction still don't get passed correctly to the
> device model.
>
> This has been discussed at the hackathon and plan is in place.
>
> ~Andrew

Thanks, is there any eta of possible solution?

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-04-29 12:44         ` Fabio Fantoni
From: Fabio Fantoni @ 2015-04-29 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cooper, Jim Fehlig, wei.liu2
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, feng.wu, ian.jackson, oleksandr.dmytryshyn,
	chegger, cyliu, Jan Beulich, edgar.iglesias, chao.p.peng,

Il 29/04/2015 12:23, Fabio Fantoni ha scritto:
> Il 29/04/2015 02:21, Andrew Cooper ha scritto:

>>> After playing with this more, I think the patch will need a
>>> LIBXL_HAVE_QXL or similar in libxl.h.

>>> I've tried Fabio's patch on top of fairly recent xen-unstable and don't
>>> see the issues mentioned in the commit message of 5479961a. Note that I
>>> only tried linux HVM guests though.
>
> qxl vga is working good on windows domUs except problem after
> save/restore
> on linux domUs instead I wasn't able to get it working
> today I tried with fedora 22 (beta3) lxde live dvd (have included
> latest qxl drivers available): with both stdvga and qxl mouse is
> working but not visible and I not understand why, I'll try also
> lubuntu 15.04.
> can you tell me what dom0 and domU have you use for test please?
>

>> 16byte decomposed instruction still don't get passed correctly to the
>> device model.
>>
>> This has been discussed at the hackathon and plan is in place.
>>
>> ~Andrew
>
> Thanks, is there any eta of possible solution?
>

> Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.

I tried with lubuntu 15.04 with qxl on latest xen-unstable and qemu crashed:
> #0  __memset_sse2 () at ../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/../memset.S:908
Latest istruction:
> => 0x7ffff3713f7b <__memset_sse2+2363>:    movntdq %xmm0,(%rdi)

In attachment full backtrace, registers, istructions ecc... if can be useful

The linux domUs problem with qxl seems related to what Andrew told.

Added also Jan Beulich, he did one or more patches for try to solves it
time ago if I remember good.

[-- Attachment #2: qemu-xen-gdb.log --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 8393 bytes --]

Full backtrace:
#0  __memset_sse2 () at ../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/../memset.S:908
No locals.
#1  0x00007ffff482cbc0 in memset (__len=3145728, __ch=0, __dest=0x7fffdbe17000) at /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/bits/string3.h:85
No locals.
#2  red_create_surface (worker=0x7fffe41f4010, surface_id=4, width=1024, height=768, stride=4096, format=32, line_0=0x7fffdbb18000, data_is_valid=0, send_client=1) at red_worker.c:9617
        surface = 0x7fffe41f4550
        i = <optimized out>
#3  0x00007ffff48386b5 in red_process_surface (worker=0x7fffe41f4010, surface=0x5555563c3dd0, group_id=1, loadvm=0) at red_worker.c:4279
        height = <optimized out>
        stride = <optimized out>
        reloaded_surface = <optimized out>
        surface_id = 4
        red_surface = 0x7fffe41f4550
        data = <optimized out>
        __FUNCTION__ = "red_process_surface"
#4  0x00007ffff483bafc in red_process_commands (worker=worker@entry=0x7fffe41f4010, ring_is_empty=ring_is_empty@entry=0x7fffe4bcdc6c, max_pipe_size=50) at red_worker.c:5095
        surface = 0x5555563c3dd0
        ext_cmd = {cmd = {data = 72057594038145664, type = 5, padding = 4294967295}, group_id = 1, flags = 0}
        n = 0
#5  0x00007ffff4841334 in red_worker_main (arg=<optimized out>) at red_worker.c:12191
        ring_is_empty = 0
        i = <optimized out>
        num_events = 0
        timers_queue_timeout = <optimized out>
        worker = 0x7fffe41f4010
        __FUNCTION__ = "red_worker_main"
#6  0x00007ffff3a22b50 in start_thread (arg=<optimized out>) at pthread_create.c:304
        __res = <optimized out>
        pd = 0x7fffe4bce700
        unwind_buf = {cancel_jmp_buf = {{jmp_buf = {140737030973184, -1109939810272634058, 140737280922144, 140737030973888, 140737354125376, 3, 1109990962358295350, 1109949136377912118}, mask_was_saved = 0}}, priv = {pad = {0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0}, data = {prev = 0x0, cleanup = 0x0, canceltype = 0}}}
        not_first_call = <optimized out>
        freesize = <optimized out>
        __PRETTY_FUNCTION__ = "start_thread"
#7  0x00007ffff376c95d in clone () at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/clone.S:112
No locals.
#8  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.

Registers:
rax            0x7fffdbe17000	140736882372608
rbx            0x7fffe41f4550	140737020642640
rcx            0x0	0
rdx            0x0	0
rsi            0x0	0
rdi            0x7fffdbf52000	140736883662848
rbp            0x7fffe41f4010	0x7fffe41f4010
rsp            0x7fffe4bcd978	0x7fffe4bcd978
r8             0x1c4f80	1855360
r9             0x100000	1048576
r10            0x0	0
r11            0x7ffff3713a0a	140737277671946
r12            0x1000	4096
r13            0x300	768
r14            0x20	32
r15            0x0	0
rip            0x7ffff3713f7b	0x7ffff3713f7b <__memset_sse2+2363>
eflags         0x10206	[ PF IF RF ]
cs             0xe033	57395
ss             0xe02b	57387
ds             0x0	0
es             0x0	0
fs             0x0	0
gs             0x0	0

Current instructions:
=> 0x7ffff3713f7b <__memset_sse2+2363>:	movntdq %xmm0,(%rdi)
   0x7ffff3713f7f <__memset_sse2+2367>:	movntdq %xmm0,0x10(%rdi)
   0x7ffff3713f84 <__memset_sse2+2372>:	movntdq %xmm0,0x20(%rdi)
   0x7ffff3713f89 <__memset_sse2+2377>:	movntdq %xmm0,0x30(%rdi)
   0x7ffff3713f8e <__memset_sse2+2382>:	movntdq %xmm0,0x40(%rdi)
   0x7ffff3713f93 <__memset_sse2+2387>:	movntdq %xmm0,0x50(%rdi)
   0x7ffff3713f98 <__memset_sse2+2392>:	movntdq %xmm0,0x60(%rdi)
   0x7ffff3713f9d <__memset_sse2+2397>:	movntdq %xmm0,0x70(%rdi)
   0x7ffff3713fa2 <__memset_sse2+2402>:	lea    0x80(%rdi),%rdi
   0x7ffff3713fa9 <__memset_sse2+2409>:	jge    0x7ffff3713f70 <__memset_sse2+2352>
   0x7ffff3713fab <__memset_sse2+2411>:	sfence
   0x7ffff3713fae <__memset_sse2+2414>:	add    %r8,%rdi
   0x7ffff3713fb1 <__memset_sse2+2417>:	lea    -0x53b(%rip),%r11        # 0x7ffff3713a7d <__memset_sse2+1085>
   0x7ffff3713fb8 <__memset_sse2+2424>:	lea    0xc4861(%rip),%rcx        # 0x7ffff37d8820
   0x7ffff3713fbf <__memset_sse2+2431>:	movswq (%rcx,%r8,2),%rcx
   0x7ffff3713fc4 <__memset_sse2+2436>:	lea    (%rcx,%r11,1),%r11

Threads backtrace:

Thread 7 (Thread 0x7fffe3ff3700 (LWP 15685)):
#0  pthread_cond_wait@@GLIBC_2.3.2 () at ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/pthread_cond_wait.S:162
#1  0x0000555555a10706 in qemu_cond_wait (cond=0x555556488c60, mutex=0x555556488c90) at util/qemu-thread-posix.c:135
#2  0x000055555595a566 in vnc_worker_thread_loop (queue=0x555556488c60) at ui/vnc-jobs.c:222
#3  0x000055555595aac9 in vnc_worker_thread (arg=0x555556488c60) at ui/vnc-jobs.c:323
#4  0x00007ffff3a22b50 in start_thread (arg=<optimized out>) at pthread_create.c:304
#5  0x00007ffff376c95d in clone () at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/clone.S:112
#6  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

Thread 6 (Thread 0x7fffe4bce700 (LWP 15684)):
#0  __memset_sse2 () at ../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/../memset.S:908
#1  0x00007ffff482cbc0 in memset (__len=3145728, __ch=0, __dest=0x7fffdbe17000) at /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/bits/string3.h:85
#2  red_create_surface (worker=0x7fffe41f4010, surface_id=4, width=1024, height=768, stride=4096, format=32, line_0=0x7fffdbb18000, data_is_valid=0, send_client=1) at red_worker.c:9617
#3  0x00007ffff48386b5 in red_process_surface (worker=0x7fffe41f4010, surface=0x5555563c3dd0, group_id=1, loadvm=0) at red_worker.c:4279
#4  0x00007ffff483bafc in red_process_commands (worker=worker@entry=0x7fffe41f4010, ring_is_empty=ring_is_empty@entry=0x7fffe4bcdc6c, max_pipe_size=50) at red_worker.c:5095
#5  0x00007ffff4841334 in red_worker_main (arg=<optimized out>) at red_worker.c:12191
#6  0x00007ffff3a22b50 in start_thread (arg=<optimized out>) at pthread_create.c:304
#7  0x00007ffff376c95d in clone () at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/clone.S:112
#8  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

Thread 4 (Thread 0x7fffe9efe700 (LWP 15679)):
#0  do_sigwait (set=0x7fffe9efdc50, sig=0x7fffe9efdc40) at ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/../../../../../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/sigwait.c:65
#1  0x00007ffff3a2ae67 in __sigwait (set=<optimized out>, sig=<optimized out>) at ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/../../../../../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/sigwait.c:100
#2  0x000055555563ec90 in qemu_dummy_cpu_thread_fn (arg=0x55555640a2b0) at /mnt/raid-vm/RW/source/xen/Xen/tools/qemu-xen-dir/cpus.c:995
#3  0x00007ffff3a22b50 in start_thread (arg=<optimized out>) at pthread_create.c:304
#4  0x00007ffff376c95d in clone () at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/clone.S:112
#5  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

Thread 3 (Thread 0x7fffea6ff700 (LWP 15678)):
#0  do_sigwait (set=0x7fffea6fec50, sig=0x7fffea6fec40) at ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/../../../../../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/sigwait.c:65
#1  0x00007ffff3a2ae67 in __sigwait (set=<optimized out>, sig=<optimized out>) at ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/../../../../../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/sigwait.c:100
#2  0x000055555563ec90 in qemu_dummy_cpu_thread_fn (arg=0x5555563f8050) at /mnt/raid-vm/RW/source/xen/Xen/tools/qemu-xen-dir/cpus.c:995
#3  0x00007ffff3a22b50 in start_thread (arg=<optimized out>) at pthread_create.c:304
#4  0x00007ffff376c95d in clone () at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/clone.S:112
#5  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

Thread 2 (Thread 0x7ffff7ff1700 (LWP 15669)):
#0  0x00007ffff3a2a1fd in read () at ../sysdeps/unix/syscall-template.S:82
#1  0x00007ffff4fa2f1f in read_all (fd=27, data=0x5555563f2610, len=16, nonblocking=0) at xs.c:378
#2  0x00007ffff4fa4982 in read_message (h=0x5555563f7790, nonblocking=0) at xs.c:1150
#3  0x00007ffff4fa4cd6 in read_thread (arg=0x5555563f7790) at xs.c:1222
#4  0x00007ffff3a22b50 in start_thread (arg=<optimized out>) at pthread_create.c:304
#5  0x00007ffff376c95d in clone () at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/clone.S:112
#6  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

Thread 1 (Thread 0x7ffff7ef6900 (LWP 15664)):
#1  0x000055555597163a in qemu_poll_ns (fds=0x5555564a0690, nfds=12, timeout=20961962) at qemu-timer.c:326
#2  0x0000555555970318 in os_host_main_loop_wait (timeout=20961962) at main-loop.c:239
#3  0x0000555555970401 in main_loop_wait (nonblocking=0) at main-loop.c:494
#4  0x0000555555758abf in main_loop () at vl.c:1882
#5  0x00005555557607b5 in main (argc=45, argv=0x7fffffffe278, envp=0x7fffffffe3e8) at vl.c:4401

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-04-29 16:39         ` Jim Fehlig
From: Jim Fehlig @ 2015-04-29 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Fantoni
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, feng.wu, ian.jackson, oleksandr.dmytryshyn,
	chegger, cyliu, edgar.iglesias, chao.p.peng, parth.dixit,
	dgolomb, manishjaggi.oss, kai.huang, jtweaver, vijay.kilari,
	rcojocaru, ross.lagerwall, tamas.lengyel, Vijaya.Kumar,
	anthony.perard, xen-devel, eshelton, olaf, ian.campbell, wency,
	julien.grall, frediano.ziglio, quan.xu, tiejun.chen,
	boris.ostrovsky, vkuznets, andrii.tseglytskyi, jgross, talex5,
	wei.liu2, malcolm.crossley, ard.biesh

Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> Il 29/04/2015 02:21, Andrew Cooper ha scritto:

>>> After playing with this more, I think the patch will need a
>>> LIBXL_HAVE_QXL or similar in libxl.h.

>>> I've tried Fabio's patch on top of fairly recent xen-unstable and don't
>>> see the issues mentioned in the commit message of 5479961a. Note that I
>>> only tried linux HVM guests though.
>
> qxl vga is working good on windows domUs except problem after
> save/restore
> on linux domUs instead I wasn't able to get it working
> today I tried with fedora 22 (beta3) lxde live dvd (have included
> latest qxl drivers available): with both stdvga and qxl mouse is
> working but not visible and I not understand why, I'll try also
> lubuntu 15.04.
> can you tell me what dom0 and domU have you use for test please?

dom0 and domU are both SLES12.  Xen is fairly recent xen-unstable plus a
few libxl patches.

Regards,
Jim

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-04-30 10:31           ` Fabio Fantoni
From: Fabio Fantoni @ 2015-04-30 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Fehlig
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, feng.wu, ian.jackson, oleksandr.dmytryshyn,

Il 29/04/2015 18:39, Jim Fehlig ha scritto:
> Fabio Fantoni wrote:

>> qxl vga is working good on windows domUs except problem after
>> save/restore
>> on linux domUs instead I wasn't able to get it working
>> today I tried with fedora 22 (beta3) lxde live dvd (have included
>> latest qxl drivers available): with both stdvga and qxl mouse is
>> working but not visible and I not understand why, I'll try also
>> lubuntu 15.04.
>> can you tell me what dom0 and domU have you use for test please?
> dom0 and domU are both SLES12.  Xen is fairly recent xen-unstable plus a
> few libxl patches.
>
> Regards,
> Jim

But the domU was without qxl driver installed?
With driver installed should always fails with error similar a what I
reported FWIK. I mean this:
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-04/txtGtntonxpzb.txt
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-04/msg03064.html
Or you have domU with qxl driver installed, used and working? In this
case we must find solution or workaround present in SLES12 and apply it
also upstream if missed.

@ 2015-04-30 16:55             ` Jim Fehlig
From: Jim Fehlig @ 2015-04-30 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Fantoni
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, feng.wu, ian.jackson, oleksandr.dmytryshyn,

Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> Il 29/04/2015 18:39, Jim Fehlig ha scritto:
>> dom0 and domU are both SLES12.  Xen is fairly recent xen-unstable plus a
>> few libxl patches.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jim
>>

> But the domU was without qxl driver installed?

No, it was installed:

linux-tyb8:~/ # dmesg | grep -i qxl
[    4.901158] [drm] qxl: 16M of VRAM memory size
[    4.901159] [drm] qxl: 63M of IO pages memory ready (VRAM domain)
[    4.951545] fb: switching to qxldrmfb from VESA VGA
[    4.951702] fbcon: qxldrmfb (fb0) is primary device
[    4.976292] qxl 0000:00:04.0: fb0: qxldrmfb frame buffer device
[    4.976293] qxl 0000:00:04.0: registered panic notifier
[    4.976296] [drm] Initialized qxl 0.1.0 20120117 for 0000:00:04.0 on
minor 0
linux-tyb8:~/ # hwinfo --gfxcard
16: PCI 04.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
  [Created at pci.328]
  Unique ID: 8otl.q8E9rb_JDj6
  SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:04.0
  SysFS BusID: 0000:00:04.0
  Hardware Class: graphics card
  Model: "Red Hat VGA compatible controller"
  Vendor: pci 0x1b36 "Red Hat, Inc."
  Device: pci 0x0100
  SubVendor: pci 0x1af4 "Red Hat, Inc"
  SubDevice: pci 0x1100
  Revision: 0x04
  Driver: "qxl"
  Driver Modules: "drm"
  Memory Range: 0xf0000000-0xf3ffffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
  Memory Range: 0xf4000000-0xf7ffffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
  Memory Range: 0xf9050000-0xf9051fff (rw,non-prefetchable)
  I/O Ports: 0xc240-0xc25f (rw)
  Memory Range: 0xf9040000-0xf904ffff (ro,non-prefetchable,disabled)
  IRQ: 32 (150 events)
  I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
  Module Alias: "pci:v00001B36d00000100sv00001AF4sd00001100bc03sc00i00"
  Driver Info #0:
    Driver Status: qxl is active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe qxl"
  Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
Primary display adapter: #16

> With driver installed should always fails with error similar a what I
> reported FWIK. I mean this:
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-04/txtGtntonxpzb.txt
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-04/msg03064.html

I'm not seeing that.

> Or you have domU with qxl driver installed, used and working? In this
> case we must find solution or workaround present in SLES12 and apply
> it also upstream if missed.

The base system is SLES12, but Xen and the tools (including qemu) are
fairly recent xen-unstable.  So the only thing SLES12 specific would be
domU kernel and qxl driver.

Regards,
Jim

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-05-01  8:36               ` Fabio Fantoni
From: Fabio Fantoni @ 2015-05-01  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Fehlig
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, feng.wu, Ian Jackson, Oleksandr Dmytryshyn,
	chegger, Chunyan Liu, Edgar E. Iglesias, chao.p.peng,
	Parth Dixit, dgolomb, manish jaggi, kai.huang, jtweaver,
	Vijay Kilari, rcojocaru, Ross Lagerwall, Tamas Lengyel,
	Vijaya.Kumar, Anthony PERARD, xen-devel, eshelton, Olaf Hering,
	Ian Campbell, Wen Congyang, Julien Grall, frediano.

> Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> > Il 29/04/2015 18:39, Jim Fehlig ha scritto:
> >> dom0 and domU are both SLES12.  Xen is fairly recent xen-unstable plus a
> >> few libxl patches.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Jim
> >>

> > But the domU was without qxl driver installed?
>
> No, it was installed:
>
> linux-tyb8:~/ # dmesg | grep -i qxl
> [    4.901158] [drm] qxl: 16M of VRAM memory size
> [    4.901159] [drm] qxl: 63M of IO pages memory ready (VRAM domain)
> [    4.951545] fb: switching to qxldrmfb from VESA VGA
> [    4.951702] fbcon: qxldrmfb (fb0) is primary device
> [    4.976292] qxl 0000:00:04.0: fb0: qxldrmfb frame buffer device
> [    4.976293] qxl 0000:00:04.0: registered panic notifier
> [    4.976296] [drm] Initialized qxl 0.1.0 20120117 for 0000:00:04.0 on
> minor 0
> linux-tyb8:~/ # hwinfo --gfxcard
> 16: PCI 04.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
>   [Created at pci.328]
>   Unique ID: 8otl.q8E9rb_JDj6
>   SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:04.0
>   SysFS BusID: 0000:00:04.0
>   Hardware Class: graphics card
>   Model: "Red Hat VGA compatible controller"
>   Vendor: pci 0x1b36 "Red Hat, Inc."
>   Device: pci 0x0100
>   SubVendor: pci 0x1af4 "Red Hat, Inc"
>   SubDevice: pci 0x1100
>   Revision: 0x04
>   Driver: "qxl"
>   Driver Modules: "drm"
>   Memory Range: 0xf0000000-0xf3ffffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
>   Memory Range: 0xf4000000-0xf7ffffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
>   Memory Range: 0xf9050000-0xf9051fff (rw,non-prefetchable)
>   I/O Ports: 0xc240-0xc25f (rw)
>   Memory Range: 0xf9040000-0xf904ffff (ro,non-prefetchable,disabled)
>   IRQ: 32 (150 events)
>   I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
>   Module Alias: "pci:v00001B36d00000100sv00001AF4sd00001100bc03sc00i00"
>   Driver Info #0:
>     Driver Status: qxl is active
>     Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe qxl"
>   Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
> Primary display adapter: #16
>
> > With driver installed should always fails with error similar a what I
> > reported FWIK. I mean this:
> > http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-04/txtGtntonxpzb.txt
> > http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-04/msg03064.html
>
> I'm not seeing that.
>
> > Or you have domU with qxl driver installed, used and working? In this
> > case we must find solution or workaround present in SLES12 and apply
> > it also upstream if missed.
>
> The base system is SLES12, but Xen and the tools (including qemu) are
> fairly recent xen-unstable.  So the only thing SLES12 specific would be
> domU kernel and qxl driver.
>
> Regards,
> Jim

Thanks for your reply.
As you told the more probable fix/workaround can be in dom0's kernel and/or
domU's kernel or qxl driver.
I tried to search about qxl suse package 0.1.0 repository (saw version in
your message) but I not understand exactly what repository see.
About kernel I found this for patches added in suse:
https://github.com/openSUSE/kernel-source/tree/SLE12-SP1
Is it correct? With a fast look I not found patches related FWIK (but I had
low knowledge)
Next week probably I'll try to restrict the search field trying suse domU
in same dom0 I used (wheezy with kernel from backports and other packages
update manually), I can try latest opensuse or is better try a SLED12 trial
instead?

About xen I take a look here:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Virtualization/xen
I found one patch probably related:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/Virtualization/xen/stdvga-cache.patch?expand=1
you used it in your test?

I saw also that there is a patch anymore needed:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/Virtualization/xen/qemu-xen-enable-spice-support.patch?expand=1
Since this:
http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=commit;h=9aa2cef51f3dced396a5ae10de586206956f9ffd
is possible to use configure instead: ./configure
--with-extra-qemuu-configure-args="--enable-spice --enable-usb-redir"

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-05-01 20:45                 ` Jim Fehlig
From: Jim Fehlig @ 2015-05-01 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Fantoni
  Cc: elena.ufimtseva, feng.wu, Ian Jackson, Oleksandr Dmytryshyn,
	chegger, Chunyan Liu, Jan Beulich, Edgar E. Iglesias,
	chao.p.peng, Parth Dixit, dgolomb, manish jaggi, kai.huang,
	jtweaver, Vijay Kilari, rcojocaru, Ross Lagerwall, Tamas Lengyel,
	Vijaya.Kumar, Anthony PERARD, xen-devel, eshelton,
	Charles Arnold, Olaf Hering, Ian Campbell, Wen Congyang

Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> <mailto:jfehlig@suse.com>>:
>
>     Fabio Fantoni wrote:
>     > Il 29/04/2015 18:39, Jim Fehlig ha scritto:
>
>     linux-tyb8:~/ # dmesg | grep -i qxl
>     [    4.901158] [drm] qxl: 16M of VRAM memory size
>     [    4.901159] [drm] qxl: 63M of IO pages memory ready (VRAM domain)
>     [    4.951545] fb: switching to qxldrmfb from VESA VGA
>     [    4.951702] fbcon: qxldrmfb (fb0) is primary device
>     [    4.976292] qxl 0000:00:04.0: fb0: qxldrmfb frame buffer device
>     [    4.976293] qxl 0000:00:04.0: registered panic notifier
>     [    4.976296] [drm] Initialized qxl 0.1.0 20120117 for
>     0000:00:04.0 on
>     minor 0
>     linux-tyb8:~/ # hwinfo --gfxcard
>     16: PCI 04.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
>       [Created at pci.328]
>       Unique ID: 8otl.q8E9rb_JDj6
>       SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:04.0
>       SysFS BusID: 0000:00:04.0
>       Hardware Class: graphics card
>       Model: "Red Hat VGA compatible controller"
>       Vendor: pci 0x1b36 "Red Hat, Inc."
>       Device: pci 0x0100
>       SubVendor: pci 0x1af4 "Red Hat, Inc"
>       SubDevice: pci 0x1100
>       Revision: 0x04
>       Driver: "qxl"
>       Driver Modules: "drm"
>       Memory Range: 0xf0000000-0xf3ffffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
>       Memory Range: 0xf4000000-0xf7ffffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
>       Memory Range: 0xf9050000-0xf9051fff (rw,non-prefetchable)
>       I/O Ports: 0xc240-0xc25f (rw)
>       Memory Range: 0xf9040000-0xf904ffff (ro,non-prefetchable,disabled)
>       IRQ: 32 (150 events)
>       I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
>       Module Alias:
>     "pci:v00001B36d00000100sv00001AF4sd00001100bc03sc00i00"
>       Driver Info #0:
>         Driver Status: qxl is active
>         Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe qxl"
>       Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
>     Primary display adapter: #16
>
>     > With driver installed should always fails with error similar a what I
>     > reported FWIK. I mean this:
>     > http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-04/txtGtntonxpzb.txt
>     > http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-04/msg03064.html
>
>     I'm not seeing that.
>
>     > Or you have domU with qxl driver installed, used and working? In this
>     > case we must find solution or workaround present in SLES12 and apply
>     > it also upstream if missed.
>
>     The base system is SLES12, but Xen and the tools (including qemu) are
>     fairly recent xen-unstable.  So the only thing SLES12 specific
>     would be
>     domU kernel and qxl driver.
>

> Thanks for your reply.
> As you told the more probable fix/workaround can be in dom0's kernel
> and/or domU's kernel or qxl driver.
> I tried to search about qxl suse package 0.1.0 repository (saw version
> in your message) but I not understand exactly what repository see.

Jan, or perhaps Olaf or Juergen, might know of a SLES12 kernel change
that allows qxl to work.

> About kernel I found this for patches added in suse:
> https://github.com/openSUSE/kernel-source/tree/SLE12-SP1
> Is it correct? With a fast look I not found patches related FWIK (but
> I had low knowledge)
> Next week probably I'll try to restrict the search field trying suse
> domU in same dom0 I used (wheezy with kernel from backports and other
> packages update manually), I can try latest opensuse or is better try
> a SLED12 trial instead?
>
> About xen I take a look here:
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Virtualization/xen
> I found one patch probably related:
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/Virtualization/xen/stdvga-cache.patch?expand=1
> you used it in your test?

No.

> I saw also that there is a patch anymore needed:
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/Virtualization/xen/qemu-xen-enable-spice-support.patch?expand=1

Yes, agreed...

> Since this:
> http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=commit;h=9aa2cef51f3dced396a5ae10de586206956f9ffd
> is possible to use configure instead: ./configure
> --with-extra-qemuu-configure-args="--enable-spice --enable-usb-redir"

...for Xen releases containing this commit.

Regards,
Jim

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-05-04  6:05 ` Yu, Zhang
From: Yu, Zhang @ 2015-05-04  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wei.liu2, Paul Durrant, Malcolm Crossley; +Cc: Xen-devel

Hi Wei,

   This is Zhang Yu from Intel graphic virtualization team. Previously
in Xen hackathon, Paul and I mentioned that there're several patch
series for XenGT that need to be tracked on Xen 4.6.
   Here, I'd like to confirm with you about these patchsets:
   1> 16-byte MMIO emulation fix – owned by Paul;
   2> Ioreq server refactor – owned by Yu;
   3> The PV IOMMU – owned by Malcolm; This one may not be completed in
Xen 4.6, but a basic feature(to return a BFN which equals the MFN when
IOMMU is 1:1 mapped or is disabled), might be necessary in this release.
   So could we also add separate tracks for these patches(I noticed the
3rd is already mentioned in your mail)?  :-)

Thanks
Yu

@ 2015-05-04  9:44   ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-05-04  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yu, Zhang; +Cc: Malcolm Crossley, Paul Durrant, wei.liu2, Xen-devel

(Thanks for trimming the CC list before hand)

On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 02:05:49PM +0800, Yu, Zhang wrote:
> Hi Wei,

Hello.

>   This is Zhang Yu from Intel graphic virtualization team. Previously in Xen
> hackathon, Paul and I mentioned that there're several patch series for XenGT
> that need to be tracked on Xen 4.6.
>   Here, I'd like to confirm with you about these patchsets:
>   1> 16-byte MMIO emulation fix – owned by Paul;

Could you explain a bit why this is needed? AIUI it's just a latent
bug that discovered by this particular usecase, right? In other words,
not really a regression introduced by ioreq server.

>   2> Ioreq server refactor – owned by Yu;
>   3> The PV IOMMU – owned by Malcolm; This one may not be completed in Xen
> 4.6, but a basic feature(to return a BFN which equals the MFN when IOMMU is
> 1:1 mapped or is disabled), might be necessary in this release.
>   So could we also add separate tracks for these patches(I noticed the 3rd
> is already mentioned in your mail)?  :-)

I tend to track only big feature items. Non-blocking bugs and small
refactoring are not  tracked.

The first one needs to be actively tracked if it's a regression.  I
already track the third one since it's a big feature.

Wei.

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-05-04  9:50           ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-05-04  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Fantoni; +Cc: Andrew Cooper, Jim Fehlig, wei.liu2, xen-devel

Hi Fabio

Discussion on a particular bug should be in a separate thread. This
thread is mainly for Xen 4.6 release.

Wei.

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-05-04 12:51     ` Yu, Zhang
From: Yu, Zhang @ 2015-05-04 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: Malcolm Crossley, Paul Durrant, Xen-devel

Hi Wei,

Thanks for your reply.

On 5/4/2015 5:44 PM, Wei Liu wrote:
> (Thanks for trimming the CC list before hand)
>
> On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 02:05:49PM +0800, Yu, Zhang wrote:
>> Hi Wei,
>>

> Hello.
>
>>    This is Zhang Yu from Intel graphic virtualization team. Previously in Xen
>> hackathon, Paul and I mentioned that there're several patch series for XenGT
>> that need to be tracked on Xen 4.6.
>>    Here, I'd like to confirm with you about these patchsets:
>>    1> 16-byte MMIO emulation fix – owned by Paul;
>
> Could you explain a bit why this is needed? AIUI it's just a latent
> bug that discovered by this particular usecase, right? In other words,
> not really a regression introduced by ioreq server.
OK. Then we will fix this, but not necessary to track this bug. IIRC,
this is not a regression. Am I right, Paul? :-)

>>    2> Ioreq server refactor – owned by Yu;
>>    3> The PV IOMMU – owned by Malcolm; This one may not be completed in Xen
>> 4.6, but a basic feature(to return a BFN which equals the MFN when IOMMU is
>> 1:1 mapped or is disabled), might be necessary in this release.
>>    So could we also add separate tracks for these patches(I noticed the 3rd
>> is already mentioned in your mail)?  :-)
>>

> I tend to track only big feature items. Non-blocking bugs and small
> refactoring are not  tracked.
Well, by "big feature", I'm not sure if this ioreq server refactor issue
qualifies this definition. :-) But this is part of the functionalities
that support the Intel GVT-g solution, which is a big feature from the
overall POV. However, if we track the Intel GVT-g feature as a whole new
feature, the patch series would seem too scattered.
Sorry for being unfamiliar with the Xen development schedules, but is
there any approach we can track ioreq server refactor patches(my mission
is to upstream this in Xen 4.6)?  :-)

> The first one needs to be actively tracked if it's a regression.  I
> already track the third one since it's a big feature.
>
> Wei.

Thanks
Yu

* Re: Xen 4.6 Development Update (three months reminder)
@ 2015-05-05  9:12       ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-05-05  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yu, Zhang; +Cc: Malcolm Crossley, Paul Durrant, Wei Liu, Xen-devel

On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 08:51:56PM +0800, Yu, Zhang wrote:
> Hi Wei,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> On 5/4/2015 5:44 PM, Wei Liu wrote:
> >(Thanks for trimming the CC list before hand)
> >
> >On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 02:05:49PM +0800, Yu, Zhang wrote:
> >>Hi Wei,
> >>

> >Hello.
> >
> >>   This is Zhang Yu from Intel graphic virtualization team. Previously in Xen
> >>hackathon, Paul and I mentioned that there're several patch series for XenGT
> >>that need to be tracked on Xen 4.6.
> >>   Here, I'd like to confirm with you about these patchsets:
> >>   1> 16-byte MMIO emulation fix – owned by Paul;
> >
> >Could you explain a bit why this is needed? AIUI it's just a latent
> >bug that discovered by this particular usecase, right? In other words,
> >not really a regression introduced by ioreq server.
> OK. Then we will fix this, but not necessary to track this bug. IIRC, this
> is not a regression. Am I right, Paul? :-)
> >
> >>   2> Ioreq server refactor – owned by Yu;
> >>   3> The PV IOMMU – owned by Malcolm; This one may not be completed in Xen
> >>4.6, but a basic feature(to return a BFN which equals the MFN when IOMMU is
> >>1:1 mapped or is disabled), might be necessary in this release.
> >>   So could we also add separate tracks for these patches(I noticed the 3rd
> >>is already mentioned in your mail)?  :-)
> >>

> >I tend to track only big feature items. Non-blocking bugs and small
> >refactoring are not  tracked.
> Well, by "big feature", I'm not sure if this ioreq server refactor issue
> qualifies this definition. :-) But this is part of the functionalities that
> support the Intel GVT-g solution, which is a big feature from the overall
> POV. However, if we track the Intel GVT-g feature as a whole new feature,
> the patch series would seem too scattered.

As I understand it, Intel GVT-g consists of different components. Xen
component is only one of many components that float around. I can try to
setup a Xen GVT-g item and put this under a subitem if it makes sense.

> Sorry for being unfamiliar with the Xen development schedules, but is there
> any approach we can track ioreq server refactor patches(my mission is to
> upstream this in Xen 4.6)?  :-)

I think this sort of thing happens when it happens. You just need to
follow the usual development process. Note that we need not wait until
everything in this list go in before we can release 4.6. Tracking them
here is more about having an idea what exciting things are going on
within Xen community.

Wei.

@ 2015-05-05 13:12         ` Yu, Zhang
From: Yu, Zhang @ 2015-05-05 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: Malcolm Crossley, Paul Durrant, Xen-devel

Thank you, Wei.

On 5/5/2015 5:12 PM, Wei Liu wrote:
> On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 08:51:56PM +0800, Yu, Zhang wrote:
>> Hi Wei,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> On 5/4/2015 5:44 PM, Wei Liu wrote:
>>> (Thanks for trimming the CC list before hand)

>>> Hello.

>>> Could you explain a bit why this is needed? AIUI it's just a latent
>>> bug that discovered by this particular usecase, right? In other words,
>>> not really a regression introduced by ioreq server.
>> OK. Then we will fix this, but not necessary to track this bug. IIRC, this
>> is not a regression. Am I right, Paul? :-)

>>> I tend to track only big feature items. Non-blocking bugs and small
>>> refactoring are not  tracked.
>> Well, by "big feature", I'm not sure if this ioreq server refactor issue
>> qualifies this definition. :-) But this is part of the functionalities that
>> support the Intel GVT-g solution, which is a big feature from the overall
>> POV. However, if we track the Intel GVT-g feature as a whole new feature,
>> the patch series would seem too scattered.
>
> As I understand it, Intel GVT-g consists of different components. Xen
> component is only one of many components that float around. I can try to
> setup a Xen GVT-g item and put this under a subitem if it makes sense.
Yes. So if convenient, how about setup a Intel GVT-g item and put the
ioreq server patch series as a subitem in 4.6?

>> Sorry for being unfamiliar with the Xen development schedules, but is there
>> any approach we can track ioreq server refactor patches(my mission is to
>> upstream this in Xen 4.6)?  :-)
>
> I think this sort of thing happens when it happens. You just need to
> follow the usual development process. Note that we need not wait until
> everything in this list go in before we can release 4.6. Tracking them
> here is more about having an idea what exciting things are going on
> within Xen community.
Got it, and thank you! :-)

> Wei.
>

>>> The first one needs to be actively tracked if it's a regression.  I
>>> already track the third one since it's a big feature.
>>>
>>> Wei.

>> Thanks
>> Yu

B.R.