* [ath9k-devel] AMSDU and AMPDU packet aggregation in ath9k
@ 2009-03-05 10:53 Kevin Wilson
From: Kevin Wilson @ 2009-03-05 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hello,
In saw in the wireless linux wiki ath9k page a list of devices for which there
is an ath9k driver.
see: http://www.linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k

First question:
I want an ath9k card because as far as I understand,
it **does** support 802.11n and I need to do a project with drivers that
support AMSDU and AMPDU packet aggregation. AFAK, ath9k (in the wireless-testing
tree) supports this AMSDU and AMPDU packet aggregation. Is it true?

Second question:

I know that this question is a bit off topic to this list; however, I hope
someone can help me:
I am quite bewildered:
Now, according to that ath9k wiki page, DWA-547 RangeBooster N650
Desktop Adapter
from D-LINK has an <AR5416+AR2133>  chip and so it runs ath9k driver.
However , I googled
for it and I saw in some places that the manufacturer is DLINK but it
has a Ralink
chipset !! for example,
http://www.modem-help.co.uk/D-Link/DWA-547-11n-RangeBooster-N-Desktop-Adapter.html

Could it be that there are two types of this DWA-547 RangeBooster card,
one with Atheros and one with Ralink ? How can I know? I am buying it online.
( also when buying in a store, they do not permit it).

Rgs,
Kevin

* [ath9k-devel]  AMSDU and AMPDU packet aggregation in ath9k
@ 2009-03-05 15:02 ` Sujith
From: Sujith @ 2009-03-05 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Kevin Wilson wrote:
> In saw in the wireless linux wiki ath9k page a list of devices for which there
> is an ath9k driver.
> see: http://www.linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k
>
> First question:
> I want an ath9k card because as far as I understand,
> it **does** support 802.11n and I need to do a project with drivers that
> support AMSDU and AMPDU packet aggregation. AFAK, ath9k (in the wireless-testing
> tree) supports this AMSDU and AMPDU packet aggregation. Is it true?

ath9k supports only AMPDU aggregation currently.

Sujith

* [ath9k-devel] AMSDU and AMPDU packet aggregation in ath9k
@ 2009-03-05 15:37 ` Stephen Gutknecht
From: Stephen Gutknecht @ 2009-03-05 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 2:53 AM, Kevin Wilson <wkevils@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am quite bewildered:
> Now, according to that ath9k wiki page, DWA-547 RangeBooster N650
> Desktop Adapter
> from D-LINK has an <AR5416+AR2133> ?chip and so it runs ath9k driver.
> However , I googled
> for it and I saw in some places that the manufacturer is DLINK but it
> has a Ralink
> chipset !! for example,
> http://www.modem-help.co.uk/D-Link/DWA-547-11n-RangeBooster-N-Desktop-Adapter.html
>
> Could it be that there are two types of this DWA-547 RangeBooster card,
> one with Atheros and one with Ralink ? How can I know? I am buying it online.
> ( also when buying in a store, they do not permit it).

Kevin,

This is a long-standing industry practice.  As long as consumers
tolerate it, it will continue.

Mail order is luck of the draw.  A retail store, you can try to
collaborate version numbers or serial numbers that are often printed
on the outside of the box.  Another tool is to download drivers and
firmware for the various versions and try to know the chipset before
you make the purchase.

  Stephen

* [ath9k-devel] AMSDU and AMPDU packet aggregation in ath9k
@ 2009-03-05 19:15   ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2009-03-05 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 7:02 AM, Sujith <m.sujith@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kevin Wilson wrote:
>> In saw in the wireless linux wiki ath9k page a list of devices for which there
>> is an ath9k driver.
>> see: http://www.linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k
>>
>> First question:
>> I want an ath9k card because as far as I understand,
>> it **does** support 802.11n and I need to do a project with drivers that
>> support AMSDU and AMPDU packet aggregation. AFAK, ath9k (in the wireless-testing
>> tree) supports this AMSDU and AMPDU packet aggregation. Is it true?
>
> ath9k supports only AMPDU aggregation currently.

Additionally it *may* support RX AMDSU, we just haven't tested it. TX
AMSDU though is not there for sure as don't even have that in
mac80211. Keep in mind most APs use AMPDU and Wifi cert seems to only
require AMDSU RX.

Do you actually use AMDSU?

  Luis

* [ath9k-devel] AMSDU and AMPDU packet aggregation in ath9k
@ 2009-03-09 12:15   ` Kevin Wilson
From: Kevin Wilson @ 2009-03-09 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hello,

>Another tool is to download drivers and
>firmware for the various versions and try to know the chipset before
>you make the purchase.

Thanks; downloading drivers from the web and looking on their names, can work
in many cases; however , I recently had a case with edimax when the
driver was an *.exe file, from which it was impossible to know
which driver was it (unless I try to install it on windows, an OS
which I don't use).

see :Edimax EW-7728
http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail.php?pl1_id=1&pl2_id=44&pl3_id=126&pd_id=225

BTW, how can you know from the firmware the chipset?

Rgs,
Kevin