* yocto package naming
@ 2015-12-22  9:40 Simon Ruetzler
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Simon Ruetzler @ 2015-12-22  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello,
I want to create different packages from one recipe.

This is working except for one package.
I addes this package with
PACKAGES += " ${PN}-demo"
and I expected that it is named with the recipe name and demo. In this
case rumo-cpp-demo-1.0-rc...
But the name is libscom1-1.0-rc..

The demo package contains the files for a dynamic library: libscom.so,
libscom.so.1 and libscom.so.1.5.0
and this library name is automatically used for the package name.

For the other packages the name are as expected. All package are defined
in the same way except that FILES_.. definition is different.
This packages also have dynamic libs but only the libname.so.1 files and
the libname.so as a link.

Why is the demo package created with the libscom name? How can I disable
this?

Regards Simon

* Re: yocto package naming
@ 2015-12-22 10:38 ` Ioan-Adrian Ratiu
From: Ioan-Adrian Ratiu @ 2015-12-22 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Ruetzler; +Cc: yocto

Hi

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 10:40:18 +0100
Simon Ruetzler <sruetzler@arigo-software.de> wrote:

> Hello,
> I want to create different packages from one recipe.
>
> This is working except for one package.
> I addes this package with
> PACKAGES += " ${PN}-demo"
> and I expected that it is named with the recipe name and demo. In this
> case rumo-cpp-demo-1.0-rc...
> But the name is libscom1-1.0-rc..
>
> The demo package contains the files for a dynamic library: libscom.so,
> libscom.so.1 and libscom.so.1.5.0
> and this library name is automatically used for the package name.
>
> For the other packages the name are as expected. All package are defined
> in the same way except that FILES_.. definition is different.
> This packages also have dynamic libs but only the libname.so.1 files and
> the libname.so as a link.
>
> Why is the demo package created with the libscom name? How can I disable
> this?

Maybe the contents of ${PN}-demo get gobbled up by another package defined
before it in PACKAGES? The order of the contents of var PACKAGES matters:
it defines precedence, the first package to match a file includes it.

Try prepending to PACKAGES, something like this:
PACKAGES =+ "${PN}-demo "

> Regards Simon

* Re: yocto package naming
@ 2015-12-22 10:45   ` Simon Ruetzler
From: Simon Ruetzler @ 2015-12-22 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ioan-Adrian Ratiu; +Cc: yocto

Hello,
the demo package is the first package. I clear the list with PACKAGES = ""
They package should contain this files, this is not the problem.
The problem is the resulting package name. The name should be
rumo-cpp-demo-1.0rc... and not libscom1-1.0-rc...
Regards Simon

Am 22.12.2015 um 11:38 schrieb Ioan-Adrian Ratiu:
> Hi
>
> On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 10:40:18 +0100
> Simon Ruetzler <sruetzler@arigo-software.de> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I want to create different packages from one recipe.
>>
>> This is working except for one package.
>> I addes this package with
>> PACKAGES += " ${PN}-demo"
>> and I expected that it is named with the recipe name and demo. In this
>> case rumo-cpp-demo-1.0-rc...
>> But the name is libscom1-1.0-rc..
>>
>> The demo package contains the files for a dynamic library: libscom.so,
>> libscom.so.1 and libscom.so.1.5.0
>> and this library name is automatically used for the package name.
>>
>> For the other packages the name are as expected. All package are defined
>> in the same way except that FILES_.. definition is different.
>> This packages also have dynamic libs but only the libname.so.1 files and
>> the libname.so as a link.
>>
>> Why is the demo package created with the libscom name? How can I disable
>> this?
> Maybe the contents of ${PN}-demo get gobbled up by another package defined
> before it in PACKAGES? The order of the contents of var PACKAGES matters:
> it defines precedence, the first package to match a file includes it.
>
> Try prepending to PACKAGES, something like this:
> PACKAGES =+ "${PN}-demo "
>
>> Regards Simon

* Re: yocto package naming
@ 2015-12-22 11:03     ` Ioan-Adrian Ratiu
From: Ioan-Adrian Ratiu @ 2015-12-22 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Ruetzler; +Cc: yocto

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 11:45:33 +0100
Simon Ruetzler <sruetzler@arigo-software.de> wrote:

> Hello,
> the demo package is the first package. I clear the list with PACKAGES = ""
> They package should contain this files, this is not the problem.
> The problem is the resulting package name. The name should be
> rumo-cpp-demo-1.0rc... and not libscom1-1.0-rc...
> Regards Simon

How about creating a separate recipe rumo-cpp-demo which depends on libscom?

Why exactly prompts you to create rumo-cpp-demo from inside the libscom recipe?
Aren't these two different software packages altogether?

> Am 22.12.2015 um 11:38 schrieb Ioan-Adrian Ratiu:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 10:40:18 +0100
> > Simon Ruetzler <sruetzler@arigo-software.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >> I want to create different packages from one recipe.
> >>
> >> This is working except for one package.
> >> I addes this package with
> >> PACKAGES += " ${PN}-demo"
> >> and I expected that it is named with the recipe name and demo. In this
> >> case rumo-cpp-demo-1.0-rc...
> >> But the name is libscom1-1.0-rc..
> >>
> >> The demo package contains the files for a dynamic library: libscom.so,
> >> libscom.so.1 and libscom.so.1.5.0
> >> and this library name is automatically used for the package name.
> >>
> >> For the other packages the name are as expected. All package are defined
> >> in the same way except that FILES_.. definition is different.
> >> This packages also have dynamic libs but only the libname.so.1 files and
> >> the libname.so as a link.
> >>
> >> Why is the demo package created with the libscom name? How can I disable
> >> this?
> > Maybe the contents of ${PN}-demo get gobbled up by another package defined
> > before it in PACKAGES? The order of the contents of var PACKAGES matters:
> > it defines precedence, the first package to match a file includes it.
> >
> > Try prepending to PACKAGES, something like this:
> > PACKAGES =+ "${PN}-demo "
> >
> >> Regards Simon

* Re: yocto package naming
@ 2015-12-22 11:12 ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2015-12-22 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Ruetzler; +Cc: yocto

On 22 December 2015 at 09:40, Simon Ruetzler <sruetzler@arigo-software.de>
wrote:

> Why is the demo package created with the libscom name? How can I disable
> this?

Because the default configuration enables debian.bbclass, which renames
packages if they contain just a library to be the soname of the library.

If you don't want this to happen in your distro, INHERIT_remove = "debian"
in your local.conf or distro configuration will stop it.

Ross

* Re: yocto package naming
@ 2015-12-22 12:03   ` Simon Ruetzler
From: Simon Ruetzler @ 2015-12-22 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto

Hello,
I added INHERIT_remove = "debian" to my local.conf but it's still the same.
Where is the debian.bbclass enabled? I couldn't find it. It this the
default?

Regards Simon

Am 22.12.2015 um 12:12 schrieb Burton, Ross:

> On 22 December 2015 at 09:40, Simon Ruetzler
> <sruetzler@arigo-software.de <mailto:sruetzler@arigo-software.de>> wrote:
>
>     Why is the demo package created with the libscom name? How can I
>     disable this?
>

> Because the default configuration enables debian.bbclass, which
> renames packages if they contain just a library to be the soname of
> the library.
>
> If you don't want this to happen in your distro, INHERIT_remove =
> "debian" in your local.conf or distro configuration will stop it.
>
> Ross

* Re: yocto package naming
@ 2015-12-22 12:18     ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2015-12-22 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Ruetzler; +Cc: yocto

On 22 December 2015 at 12:03, Simon Ruetzler <sruetzler@arigo-software.de>
wrote:

> I added INHERIT_remove = "debian" to my local.conf but it's still the same.
> Where is the debian.bbclass enabled? I couldn't find it. It this the
> default?

INHERIT_DISTRO is where it comes from.  If you have an old release _remove
won't work.

Have a look at the default value for INHERIT_DISTRO and assign it, without
debian, in your local.conf.

Ross

* Re: yocto package naming
@ 2015-12-22 12:50       ` Simon Ruetzler
From: Simon Ruetzler @ 2015-12-22 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ioan-Adrian Ratiu; +Cc: yocto

Hello,
thanks for the help.
I think the solution is as you mention to put the lib in an extra package.

Regards Simon

Am 22.12.2015 um 12:03 schrieb Ioan-Adrian Ratiu:
> On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 11:45:33 +0100
> Simon Ruetzler <sruetzler@arigo-software.de> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> the demo package is the first package. I clear the list with PACKAGES = ""
>> They package should contain this files, this is not the problem.
>> The problem is the resulting package name. The name should be
>> rumo-cpp-demo-1.0rc... and not libscom1-1.0-rc...
>> Regards Simon
> How about creating a separate recipe rumo-cpp-demo which depends on libscom?
>
> Why exactly prompts you to create rumo-cpp-demo from inside the libscom recipe?
> Aren't these two different software packages altogether?
>
>> Am 22.12.2015 um 11:38 schrieb Ioan-Adrian Ratiu:
>>> Hi

>>> Maybe the contents of ${PN}-demo get gobbled up by another package defined
>>> before it in PACKAGES? The order of the contents of var PACKAGES matters:
>>> it defines precedence, the first package to match a file includes it.
>>>
>>> Try prepending to PACKAGES, something like this:
>>> PACKAGES =+ "${PN}-demo "

* Re: yocto package naming
@ 2016-01-06 21:21 ` Alejandro del Castillo
From: Alejandro del Castillo @ 2016-01-06 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 12/22/2015 03:40 AM, Simon Ruetzler wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to create different packages from one recipe.
>
> This is working except for one package.
> I addes this package with
> PACKAGES += " ${PN}-demo"
> and I expected that it is named with the recipe name and demo. In this case
> rumo-cpp-demo-1.0-rc...
> But the name is libscom1-1.0-rc..
>
> The demo package contains the files for a dynamic library: libscom.so,
> libscom.so.1 and libscom.so.1.5.0
> and this library name is automatically used for the package name.
>
> For the other packages the name are as expected. All package are defined in the
> same way except that FILES_.. definition is different.
> This packages also have dynamic libs but only the libname.so.1 files and the
> libname.so as a link.
>
> Why is the demo package created with the libscom name? How can I disable this?
>
> Regards Simon

I believe setting DEBIAN_NOAUTONAME_${PN}-demo = "1" should do it.

--
Cheers,

Alejandro