* [Buildroot] Missing Buildroot x86_64 CC Archiver tool in eclipse integration
@ 2014-09-05 18:55 Oded Hanson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Oded Hanson @ 2014-09-05 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello All

I am trying to build a static library in eclipse using the buildroot toolchain and the buildroot eclipse plugin.

I have successfully created shared objects and executables but now when I am trying to create a static library, I see that the eclipse plugin doesn't identify the archiver tool, all though the x86_64-buildroot-linux-gnu-ar tool was generated in my buildroot output directory.

Is this a known issue? Anyway for me to resolve it?

Thanks

Oded
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] Missing Buildroot x86_64 CC Archiver tool in eclipse integration
@ 2014-09-06  9:09 ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2014-09-06  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Oded,

(please send plaintext-only mail to the list)

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 8:55 PM, Oded Hanson <OHanson@xsightsys.com> wrote:

> I am trying to build a static library in eclipse using the buildroot
> toolchain and the buildroot eclipse plugin.
>
> I have successfully created shared objects and executables but now when I am
> trying to create a static library, I see that the eclipse plugin doesn't
> identify the archiver tool, all though the x86_64-buildroot-linux-gnu-ar
> tool was generated in my buildroot output directory.
>
> Is this a known issue? Anyway for me to resolve it?

Involving Melanie Bats, who wrote the Eclipse integration...

* [Buildroot] Missing Buildroot x86_64 CC Archiver tool in eclipse integration
@ 2014-09-06  9:17 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2014-09-06  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Oded Hanson,

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 18:55:00 +0000, Oded Hanson wrote:

> I am trying to build a static library in eclipse using the buildroot toolchain and the buildroot eclipse plugin.
>
> I have successfully created shared objects and executables but now when I am trying to create a static library, I see that the eclipse plugin doesn't identify the archiver tool, all though the x86_64-buildroot-linux-gnu-ar tool was generated in my buildroot output directory.
>
> Is this a known issue? Anyway for me to resolve it?

Thanks for your report. I've Cc'ed M?lanie Bats, which is developing
the Buildroot plugin for Eclipse. She'll have a look at this issue soon.

Thanks!

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] Missing Buildroot x86_64 CC Archiver tool in eclipse integration
@ 2014-09-16  9:20   ` Oded Hanson
From: Oded Hanson @ 2014-09-16  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello All

I wanted to know if by any change someone has a solution for this problem?

Thanks

Oded

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 18:55:00 +0000, Oded Hanson wrote:

> I am trying to build a static library in eclipse using the buildroot toolchain and the buildroot eclipse plugin.
>
> I have successfully created shared objects and executables but now when I am trying to create a static library, I see that the eclipse plugin doesn't identify the archiver tool, all though the x86_64-buildroot-linux-gnu-ar tool was generated in my buildroot output directory.
>
> Is this a known issue? Anyway for me to resolve it?

Thanks for your report. I've Cc'ed M?lanie Bats, which is developing the Buildroot plugin for Eclipse. She'll have a look at this issue soon.

Thanks!

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] Missing Buildroot x86_64 CC Archiver tool in eclipse integration
@ 2014-09-16 15:55 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2014-09-16 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Oded Hanson,

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 18:55:00 +0000, Oded Hanson wrote:

> I am trying to build a static library in eclipse using the buildroot toolchain and the buildroot eclipse plugin.
>
> I have successfully created shared objects and executables but now
> when I am trying to create a static library, I see that the eclipse
> plugin doesn't identify the archiver tool, all though the
> x86_64-buildroot-linux-gnu-ar tool was generated in my buildroot
> output directory.

Could you give a few more details about how you're building your static
library? Are you using an autotools based project, a Makefile based
project, or a "managed build" project (where Eclipse takes care of the
build system) ? M?lanie has tested a "managed build" project for a
static library, and apparently, it worked fine. So maybe you're using
your own Makefile or autotools based build system?

Thanks!

Thomas
--

@ 2014-09-16 16:24   ` Oded Hanson
From: Oded Hanson @ 2014-09-16 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas

I am not using autotools or a Makefile based project. I am creating a simple project based on the eclipse project wizards:

1. File -> New -> C++ Project
2.  Static Library -> Empty Project -> Choose Buildroot x86_64 toolchain
3. Finish

Once the project is created, I go to Project properties -> C/C++ Build -> Settings -> Build Artifacts. I see there that there is only a shared object and executable option. No static library.

When I go to the toolchain editor, I can see the list of tools (compiler, linker, etc.) but I don't see the archiver tool.. thus.. obviously that?s why we cannot build the static library.

I will maybe try to uninstall everything and reinstall and see if it helps...

Oded

@ 2014-09-20  7:57     ` Oded Hanson
From: Oded Hanson @ 2014-09-20  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello All

I would like to update you that I retried this on a clean install.

I installed eclipse Kepler 4.3 SR2.

I installed the latest release of buildroot 2014.08 and created a output target and set it to integrate with buildroot.

I installed the plugin from http://buildroot.org/downloads/eclipse/kepler-sr2

I created an empty C static library project and choose the buildroot toolchain (it appears there in the list as expected).

I added a simple C file and tried to build the project. This is what I received in the console:

10:39:38 **** Incremental Build of configuration debug for project TestStaticLib2 ****
make all
Building file: ../Test.c
Invoking: Buildroot X86_64 C Compiler (/home/oded/dev/buildroot-2014.08/output)
/home/oded/dev/buildroot-2014.08/output/host/usr/bin/x86_64-buildroot-linux-gnu-gcc -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -MMD -MP -MF"Test.d" -MT"Test.d" -o "Test.o" "../Test.c"
Finished building: ../Test.c

Building target: TestStaticLib2.a
Invoking: Buildroot X86_64 C Linker (/home/oded/dev/buildroot-2014.08/output)
/home/oded/dev/buildroot-2014.08/output/host/usr/bin/x86_64-buildroot-linux-gnu-gcc  -o "TestStaticLib2.a"  ./Test.o
/home/oded/dev/buildroot-2014.08/output/host/usr/x86_64-buildroot-linux-gnu/sysroot/usr/lib/../lib64/crt1.o: In function `_start':
(.text+0x20): undefined reference to `main'
make: *** [TestStaticLib2.a] Error 1

10:39:38 Build Finished (took 228ms)

As you can see it tried to create an executable and not a static library and failing because it cannot find the main symbol.

Where I go to project properties. To C/C++ Build. Settings and Build Artifact tab, in the artifact type list I can only see executable and shared library. There is no artifact for static library.

Any ideas ?

Oded

@ 2014-09-20  9:43     ` Oded Hanson
From: Oded Hanson @ 2014-09-20  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

BTW. As an interim workaround, I just manually change the linker command to:

/home/oded/dev/buildroot-2014.08/output/host/usr/bin/x86_64-buildroot-linux-gnu-ar

And this builds my library.

Oded

@ 2014-09-21  8:29       ` Alan Yaniger
From: Alan Yaniger @ 2014-09-21  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Oded,

This workaround worked for me without the full path as well.

Alan

Alan Yaniger
Tk Open Systems, Ltd
Telephone: 0546-841-481