* rbd-mirror related jewel backports
@ 2016-08-10  9:07 Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2016-08-10  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mykola Golub; +Cc: Ceph Development

Hi Mykola,

There are seven rbd-mirror related backports which do not cherry-pick cleanly. I've not looked at each of them yet and I would very much appreciate your advice about the best way to proceed.

http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16511
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16512
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16658
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16701
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16747
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16902
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16978

Maybe they should be cherry-picked in a specific order in order to avoid conflicts ? For instance, maybe one of the pending backports that you can see at

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3Ajewel+label%3Arbd

would avoid some of the conflicts if merged ? I'm thinking specifically

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/10646
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/10644

What I'm looking for, ideally, is a way to order the cherry-picks to avoid any conflict. That may involve backporting a few additional pull requests (for instance when the type of an argument changes from int64_t to uint64_t, that creates a lot of potential conflicts and backporting that change could help, even if it is not required to fix a given bug.

There are three backports that also do not apply because of a conflict but do not seem to be related to rbd-mirror. Unless you advise otherwise, I'll attempt to resolve these individually and assume there is complex interaction with other backports.

http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16950
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16904
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16735

Thanks in advance for your guidance !

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre

* Re: rbd-mirror related jewel backports
@ 2016-08-10 20:14 ` Jason Dillaman
From: Jason Dillaman @ 2016-08-10 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Mykola Golub, Ceph Development

Loic,

If you want, I can create the backport PRs for those tickets.

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 5:07 AM, Loic Dachary <loic@dachary.org> wrote:
> Hi Mykola,
>
> There are seven rbd-mirror related backports which do not cherry-pick cleanly. I've not looked at each of them yet and I would very much appreciate your advice about the best way to proceed.
>
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16511
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16512
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16658
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16701
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16747
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16902
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16978
>
> Maybe they should be cherry-picked in a specific order in order to avoid conflicts ? For instance, maybe one of the pending backports that you can see at
>
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3Ajewel+label%3Arbd
>
> would avoid some of the conflicts if merged ? I'm thinking specifically
>
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/10646
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/10644
>
> What I'm looking for, ideally, is a way to order the cherry-picks to avoid any conflict. That may involve backporting a few additional pull requests (for instance when the type of an argument changes from int64_t to uint64_t, that creates a lot of potential conflicts and backporting that change could help, even if it is not required to fix a given bug.
>
> There are three backports that also do not apply because of a conflict but do not seem to be related to rbd-mirror. Unless you advise otherwise, I'll attempt to resolve these individually and assume there is complex interaction with other backports.
>
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16950
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16904
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16735
>
> Thanks in advance for your guidance !
>
> --
> Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre

Jason

* Re: rbd-mirror related jewel backports
@ 2016-08-10 21:00   ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2016-08-10 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dillaman; +Cc: Mykola Golub, Ceph Development

On 10/08/2016 22:14, Jason Dillaman wrote:
> Loic,
>
> If you want, I can create the backport PRs for those tickets.

That would be great. Alternatively, if that's less time consuming for you, just suggest a backport order and I'll figure it out.

Cheers

@ 2016-08-11 13:22     ` Jason Dillaman
From: Jason Dillaman @ 2016-08-11 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Mykola Golub, Ceph Development

No worries.

My usual routine just involves pulling up master and jewel branch
merge logs for all RBD-related subdirectories in two terminals (for PR
merge timeline reference), pulling up the original PR to backport, and
then just cherry-pick until a conflict is hit. When that happens, I
locate which previous PR made the conflicting change and cherry-pick
it into the same backport branch.

With this technique, you'll end up with PRs with the same
cherry-picked commits.  You'll be able to cleanly merge them into a
testing branch, but when it comes time to merge into the jewel branch
you'll need to rebase some PRs to automatically strip out the
duplicate cherry-picks.

@ 2016-08-11 13:58       ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2016-08-11 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dillaman; +Cc: Mykola Golub, Ceph Development

I can try to do that, it is simple enough. Because I'm not very familiar with the code base, it is entirely possible that I end up cherry-picking a lot more than what is reasonable when doing that. It is sometime non trivial to figure out when to stop. Who knows: I may end up cherry-picking *everything* from master :-) I'll call for help if it drifts too much.

Cheers

@ 2016-08-11 15:01         ` Jason Dillaman
From: Jason Dillaman @ 2016-08-11 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Mykola Golub, Ceph Development

OK, that's fine with me.  The only ones left on your original list are
(in order):

http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16902 (master 10484) (Tue, 2 Aug 2016
20:14:54 +0300)
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16950 (master 10574) (Sun, 7 Aug 2016