* Kernel configuration
@ 2015-01-02 14:52 Chris Tapp
From: Chris Tapp @ 2015-01-02 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto Project

I thought I knew how to do this, but... ;-)

I'm trying to add configuration items to the valleyisland BSP. I've got the following bbappend:

File: linux-yocto_3.10.bbappend
-------
FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"

SRC_URI += " file://enable-hid-apple.cfg"
SRC_URI += " file://enable-R8169.cfg"

However, these .cfg fragments aren't even getting pulled into the build area.

Adding a reference to a non-existent file is ignored when I would have expected to see a fetch error

SRC_URI += "file://fsdfsdfdsfsd"

What else do I need to do to get my .cfg files pulled in?

--

Chris Tapp
opensource@keylevel.com

* Re: Kernel configuration
@ 2015-01-02 16:26 ` Jacob Kroon
From: Jacob Kroon @ 2015-01-02 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Tapp; +Cc: Yocto Project

Hi Chris,

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 3:52 PM, Chris Tapp <opensource@keylevel.com> wrote:

> I thought I knew how to do this, but... ;-)
>
> I'm trying to add configuration items to the valleyisland BSP. I've got
> the following bbappend:
>
> File: linux-yocto_3.10.bbappend
> -------
> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"
>
> SRC_URI += " file://enable-hid-apple.cfg"
> SRC_URI += " file://enable-R8169.cfg"
>
> However, these .cfg fragments aren't even getting pulled into the build
> area.
>
> Adding a reference to a non-existent file is ignored when I would have
> expected to see a fetch error
>
> SRC_URI += "file://fsdfsdfdsfsd"
>
> What else do I need to do to get my .cfg files pulled in?

How does your layer.conf look like ? Especially, do you have the *.bbappend
files added to BBFILES ?

Jacob

* Re: Kernel configuration
@ 2015-01-02 20:20   ` Chris Tapp
From: Chris Tapp @ 2015-01-02 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Kroon; +Cc: Yocto Project

On 2 Jan 2015, at 16:26, Jacob Kroon <jacob.kroon@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 3:52 PM, Chris Tapp <opensource@keylevel.com> wrote:
> I thought I knew how to do this, but... ;-)
>
> I'm trying to add configuration items to the valleyisland BSP. I've got the following bbappend:
>
> File: linux-yocto_3.10.bbappend
> -------
> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"
>
> SRC_URI += " file://enable-hid-apple.cfg"
> SRC_URI += " file://enable-R8169.cfg"
>
> However, these .cfg fragments aren't even getting pulled into the build area.
>
> Adding a reference to a non-existent file is ignored when I would have expected to see a fetch error
>
> SRC_URI += "file://fsdfsdfdsfsd"
>
> What else do I need to do to get my .cfg files pulled in?
>

> How does your layer.conf look like ? Especially, do you have the *.bbappend files added to BBFILES ?

The bbappend is being found as adding invalid content to it produces a parsing error.

--

Chris Tapp
opensource@keylevel.com

* Re: Kernel configuration
@ 2015-01-03  0:08 ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2015-01-03  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Tapp; +Cc: Yocto Project

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Chris Tapp <opensource@keylevel.com> wrote:
> I thought I knew how to do this, but... ;-)
>
> I'm trying to add configuration items to the valleyisland BSP. I've got the following bbappend:
>
> File: linux-yocto_3.10.bbappend
> -------
> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"
>
> SRC_URI += " file://enable-hid-apple.cfg"
> SRC_URI += " file://enable-R8169.cfg"
>
> However, these .cfg fragments aren't even getting pulled into the build area.
>
> Adding a reference to a non-existent file is ignored when I would have expected to see a fetch error
>
> SRC_URI += "file://fsdfsdfdsfsd"
>
> What else do I need to do to get my .cfg files pulled in?

What release / branch is this with ? What you have above is all that you need
to do. I'm not near my development machine, but will be on Monday and can
confirm that something hasn't been broken.

In the meantime, have you dumped the environment to confirm that that your
values really are on the SRC_URI and that something else in the layers
isn't coming along later and clobbering the SRC_URI (unlikely, but worth ruling
out).

Bruce

> --
>
> Chris Tapp
> opensource@keylevel.com
> www.keylevel.com

thee at its end"

* Re: Kernel configuration
@ 2015-01-03  0:57   ` Chris Tapp
From: Chris Tapp @ 2015-01-03  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: Yocto Project

Hi Bruce,

On 3 Jan 2015, at 00:08, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Chris Tapp <opensource@keylevel.com> wrote:
>> I thought I knew how to do this, but... ;-)
>>
>> I'm trying to add configuration items to the valleyisland BSP. I've got the following bbappend:
>>
>> File: linux-yocto_3.10.bbappend
>> -------
>> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"
>>
>> SRC_URI += " file://enable-hid-apple.cfg"
>> SRC_URI += " file://enable-R8169.cfg"
>>
>> However, these .cfg fragments aren't even getting pulled into the build area.
>>
>> Adding a reference to a non-existent file is ignored when I would have expected to see a fetch error
>>
>> SRC_URI += "file://fsdfsdfdsfsd"
>>
>> What else do I need to do to get my .cfg files pulled in?
>
> What release / branch is this with ? What you have above is all that you need
> to do. I'm not near my development machine, but will be on Monday and can
> confirm that something hasn't been broken.

This is with 'daisy'.

> In the meantime, have you dumped the environment to confirm that that your
> values really are on the SRC_URI and that something else in the layers
> isn't coming along later and clobbering the SRC_URI (unlikely, but worth ruling
> out).

Ah - that shows:

# $SRC_URI [8 operations]
#   set /media/SSD-RAID/poky-git/meta/conf/bitbake.conf:588
#     ""
#   set /media/SSD-RAID/poky-git/meta/conf/documentation.conf:378
#     [doc] "The list of source files - local or remote. This variable tells the OpenEmbedded build system what bits to pull in for the build and how to pull them in."
#   set /media/SSD-RAID/poky-git/meta/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.10.bb:23
#     "git://git.yoctoproject.org/linux-yocto-3.10.git;bareclone=1;branch=${KBRANCH},${KMETA};name=machine,meta"
#   append /media/SSD-RAID/meta-keylevel-sjs/project-specific-layers/opty4-valleyisland/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.10.bbappend:4
#     " file://enable-R8169.cfg"
#   append /media/SSD-RAID/meta-keylevel-sjs/project-specific-layers/opty4-valleyisland/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.10.bbappend:5
#     "file://fsdfsdfdsfsd"
#   finalize ast.py:323 [finalize]
#     "was: git://git.yoctoproject.org/linux-yocto-3.10.git;bareclone=1;branch=${KBRANCH},${KMETA};name=machine,meta  file://enable-R8169.cfg file://fsdfsdfdsfsd"
#   override[valleyisland-64]:set /media/SSD-RAID/meta-intel-git-2/meta-isg/meta-valleyisland/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.10.bbappend:33
#     "git://git.yoctoproject.org/linux-yocto-3.10.git;protocol=git;nocheckout=1;branch=${KBRANCH},${KMETA},valleyisland-io-3.0;name=machine,meta,valleyisland-io"
#   finalize override[valleyisland-64]:
#     "git://git.yoctoproject.org/linux-yocto-3.10.git;protocol=git;nocheckout=1;branch=${KBRANCH},${KMETA},valleyisland-io-3.0;name=machine,meta,valleyisland-io"
# computed:
#   "git://git.yoctoproject.org/linux-yocto-3.10.git;protocol=git;nocheckout=1;branch=${KBRANCH},${KMETA},valleyisland-io-3.0;name=machine,meta,valleyisland-io"
SRC_URI="git://git.yoctoproject.org/linux-yocto-3.10.git;protocol=git;nocheckout=1;branch=standard/base,meta,valleyisland-io-3.0;name=machine,meta,valleyisland-io"

If I change my bbappend to use lines of the form:

  SRC_URI_valleyisland-64 += " file://enable-R8169.cfg"

then the fragments make it in to the configuration.

I've never really understood machine overrides that well - I thought that using a plain SRC_URI would apply regardless, but that's obviously not the case ;-)

Thanks for the pointer :-)

--

Chris Tapp
opensource@keylevel.com

----
You can tell you're getting older when your car insurance gets real cheap!

* Re: Kernel configuration
@ 2015-01-19 14:37     ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2015-01-19 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Tapp; +Cc: yocto

Hi Chris,

On Saturday 03 January 2015 00:57:50 Chris Tapp wrote:
> If I change my bbappend to use lines of the form:
>
>   SRC_URI_valleyisland-64 += " file://enable-R8169.cfg"

Note that this probably doesn't do what you think it does - it'll be _setting_
the value to "  file://enable-R8169.cfg" rather than appending to the existing
value when MACHINE is "valleyisland-64". Overrides and += don't really work
together because they operate at different times - the += happens immediately
and then later the override is applied. The correct way to do a conditional
append with an override is to use _append, e.g.:

  SRC_URI_append_valleyisland-64 = " file://enable-R8169.cfg"

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: Kernel configuration
@ 2015-01-19 20:43       ` Chris Tapp
From: Chris Tapp @ 2015-01-19 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: yocto

Hi Paul,

On 19 Jan 2015, at 14:37, Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 03 January 2015 00:57:50 Chris Tapp wrote:
>> If I change my bbappend to use lines of the form:
>>
>>  SRC_URI_valleyisland-64 += " file://enable-R8169.cfg"
>
> Note that this probably doesn't do what you think it does - it'll be _setting_
> the value to "  file://enable-R8169.cfg" rather than appending to the existing
> value when MACHINE is "valleyisland-64".

I thought I had this sorted as it was doing _what_ I wanted ;-)

> Overrides and += don't really work
> together because they operate at different times - the += happens immediately
> and then later the override is applied. The correct way to do a conditional
> append with an override is to use _append, e.g.:
>
>  SRC_URI_append_valleyisland-64 = " file://enable-R8169.cfg"

Thanks for the heads-up - I'll go and update my file and add a comment so I remember next time round :-)

--

Chris Tapp
opensource@keylevel.com

* Re: Kernel configuration
@ 2021-02-27 23:48   ` Leandro Bucci
From: Leandro Bucci @ 2021-02-27 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Gallagher; +Cc: xenomai

Ok, thanks.

Il sab 27 feb 2021, 15:56 Greg Gallagher <greg@embeddedgreg.com> ha scritto:

> On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 9:37 AM Leandro Bucci via Xenomai <
> xenomai@xenomai.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi, I wanted to ask how to enable serial communication in Xenomai. When
>> compiling the kernel, what parameters should I set?
>>
> The serial driver I don’t think has been tested much with raspberry Pi.
> You want to to trace and see if the probe function is being called. There
> may be some devicetree changes needed. I’ve only used the I.mx serial
> driver.
>
> Greg

* Re: Kernel configuration
@ 2021-02-27 14:56 ` Greg Gallagher
From: Greg Gallagher @ 2021-02-27 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leandro Bucci; +Cc: xenomai

@ 2021-02-27 14:37 Leandro Bucci
From: Leandro Bucci @ 2021-02-27 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi, I wanted to ask how to enable serial communication in Xenomai. When
compiling the kernel, what parameters should I set?

* kernel configuration
@ 2011-04-26  3:32 lina
From: lina @ 2011-04-26  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LKML

Hi,

can anybody give me some specific clues during configuration which
make the support of below graphic driver and network connection. if
possible wireless will be great appreciated.

and which is the best version of kernel I should choose.

Really thanks for any advice,

# lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Sandy Bridge DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sandy Bridge PCI Express Root
Port (rev 09)
00:01.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sandy Bridge PCI Express Root
Port (rev 09)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Cougar Point HECI
Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Cougar Point USB Universal
Host Controller #5 (rev 05)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Cougar Point USB Enhanced
Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Cougar Point High Definition
Audio Controller (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Cougar Point PCI Express Root
Port 1 (rev b5)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Cougar Point PCI Express Root
Port 2 (rev b5)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Cougar Point PCI Express Root
Port 3 (rev b5)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Cougar Point USB Universal
Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Cougar Point USB Enhanced
Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Cougar Point LPC Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation Cougar Point 4 port SATA IDE
Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Cougar Point SMBus Controller (rev 05)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc NI Whistler
[AMD Radeon HD 6600M Series]
01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Device aa90
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM57765
Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 10)
02:00.1 SD Host controller: Broadcom Corporation Device 16bc (rev 10)
03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Device 4331 (rev 02)
04:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW643 PCI Express1394b
Controller (PHY/Link) (rev 08)

best regards,

lina

* Re: kernel configuration
@ 2003-09-09 20:59     ` James Miller (office)
From: James Miller (office) @ 2003-09-09 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Ray Olszewski wrote:

> 3. You only mention kernel 2.4.20-8 and 2.4.18. Is there any version of
> 2.4.22 on the system? (actually, I didn't even know there was a 2.4.22 --
> Debian sources seem only go up to 2.4.21.)

Gee, I didn't notice he was talking about 3 different kernels (I just
presumed where he wrote 2.4.22 that he was writing 2.4.20-8), or 2
kernels and modules from a third.  That *does* make it confusing.  What is
the stock kernel for RH9?  That might help illumine things a bit.

James
-

* Re: kernel configuration
@ 2003-09-09 19:04   ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2003-09-09 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

At 11:29 AM 9/9/2003 -0500, James Miller wrote:
>On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, atticclaw wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >    Well I have vmware 4.0 in which I have installed RH 9.0 it comes
> with kernel 2.4.20-8 . I have downloaded fresh kernel 2.4.18 . I am
> tryibg to configure the kerne l but it is giving me an error saying tht
> my module sd_mod.o is compile for kernel 2.4.22 while I am using kernel
> 2.4.18 .
> >             Why is this is happeneing ?
> > Pls help me out
>
>Mmmm.  I think it's because add-on modules are compiled for a given
>kernel.  They're not supposed to work with kernels for which they were not
>compiled.  That said, I've forced one to run with the -f switch and had it
>work ok (a NIC module) for me - I think others will advise you against
>trying this though, and if you have alot of modules it might not work for
>you like it did for me anyway.  So, assuming you've compiled your own
>2.4.18 kernel, I'm pretty sure you'll need to compile a new set of modules
>for it.  If you didn't compile your own kernel, you'll need to do that
>first, since I think to compile the modules you'll need to have kernel
>headers available (they only appear in your system if you've compiled your
>own kernel).  Please wait for others to respond to your question too,
>since I'm not any kind of big authority on this list.

James' guess is as good as any can be at this stage. The original question
provides way too little information for real help. It is not even clear if
the question is about kernel source or a precompiled binary. So ...

1. Clarify "configure the kernel". Do you mean run one of the options (make
config, make menuconfig, or make xconfig) to create a .config file for the
kernel source? Or do you mean something else?

2. What is the "it" that gives you an error? The configure script? Some
step in the compile process? An attempt to insmod or modprobe the module?
What is the EXACT error you get?

3. You only mention kernel 2.4.20-8 and 2.4.18. Is there any version of
2.4.22 on the system? (actually, I didn't even know there was a 2.4.22 --
Debian sources seem only go up to 2.4.21.)

4. If the problem does occur during compile, did you follow all the steps
needed to compile a new kernel? As outlined in the kernel source README
file, I mean.

5. If you are talking about a precompiled kernel, not source, be as much
more specific as you can about what you downloaded. In particular, did you
download and install the associated modules for the new binary?

-

* Re: kernel configuration
@ 2003-09-09 16:29 ` James Miller
From: James Miller @ 2003-09-09 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-Newbie

@ 2003-09-09 15:10 atticclaw
From: atticclaw @ 2003-09-09 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-Newbie

Hi,
   Well I have vmware 4.0 in which I have installed RH 9.0 it comes with kernel 2.4.20-8 . I have downloaded fresh kernel 2.4.18 . I am tryibg to configure the kerne l but it is giving me an error saying tht my module sd_mod.o is compile for kernel 2.4.22 while I am using kernel 2.4.18 .
            Why is this is happeneing ?
Pls help me out
bye
splic

 Buy The Best In BOOKS at http://www.bestsellers.indiatimes.com

Bid for for Air Tickets on Air Sahara Flights at Prices Lower Than Before. Just log on to http://airsahara.indiatimes.com and Bid Now!

-

* kernel configuration
@ 2001-10-16 15:52 Kamil Kompa
From: Kamil Kompa @ 2001-10-16 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi !

I have some troubles with APM, on a kernel that i compile on my own. I have tried many diferrent configurations, but my computer hangs when starting APM.
There are no such troubles when I use kernel which was made when I have installed RH Linux as "workstation". I want to study configuration of kernel that RH
makes when beeing installed. Can anyone tell me where can I find configuration description of such kernel? Perhaps You can send me a config file?
Thanks.

Kamil Kompa
kkompa@poczta.fm

Nowa HIPERpromocja! Markowe produkty 30% taniej, niz w sklepie!
Od 15 do 21 pa¼dziernika. >Sprawdz na http://hiperpromocja.interia.pl/