From: Oleksandr Natalenko <oleksandr@natalenko.name>
To: "Toke Høiland-Jørgensen" <toke@toke.dk>
Cc: Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com>,
	"David S. Miller" <davem@davemloft.net>,
	Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@mojatatu.com>,
	Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@gmail.com>,
	Jiri Pirko <jiri@resnulli.us>,
	netdev@vger.kernel.org, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: CAKE and r8169 cause panic on upload in v4.19
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 21:26:12 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello.

I was excited regarding the fact that v4.19 introduced CAKE, so I've
deployed it on my home router.

I used this script of mine [1]:

# bufferbloat enp3s0.100 20 20

to do its job on the VLAN interface, where 20/20 ISP link is switched
from the home switch. Basically, it just follows [2] with simple
bandwidth restriction and egress mirroring using ifb.

Then I thought it would be nice to run speedtest-cli on one of the
computer in the home LAN, connected to this router. Download stage went
fine, but immediately after upload started I've got a panic on the
router: [3] (sorry, it is a photo, netconsole didn't work because, I
assume, the panic happened in the networking code). I rebooted the
router and tried once more, and got the same result, again during upload
stage. Then I rebooted again, replaced CAKE script with my former HTB
script, and after running speedtest-cli a couple of times there's no
panic.

Before running speedtest-cli I was using CAKE for a couple of days
without generating much traffic just fine. It seems it crashes only if
lots of traffic is generated with tools like this.

My sysctl: [4] and ethtool -k: [5]

So far, I've found something similar only here: [6] [7]. The common
thing is r8169 driver in use, so, maybe, it is a driver issue, and CAKE
is just happy to reveal it.

If it is something known, please point me to a possible fix. If it is
something new, I'm open to provide more info on your request, try
patches etc (as usual).

Thanks.

--
   Oleksandr Natalenko (post-factum)