* Quick question?
@ 2020-09-24 21:36 jchludzinski
From: jchludzinski @ 2020-09-24 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

I'm trying to bring up an RTOS (vxworks) using u-boot and have had some
"partial" success:

If I use the 2014 u-boot that comes with Quartus 18.1 (a tarball in the
download), vxworks successfully boots.

If I clone the github repo
(https://github.com/altera-opensource/u-boot-socfpga.git)  and build
u-boot from that (2020), vxworks fails to boot. What appears to be
happening is an (fpga?) watchdog timer goes off and a HW reset is
called. Then of course, u-boot reboots.

Any thoughts? Why would this occur with the newer u-boot and not with
the older u-boot?

---John

* Quick question?
@ 2020-09-24 21:39 ` jchludzinski
From: jchludzinski @ 2020-09-24 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 2020-09-24 17:36, jchludzinski wrote:
> I'm trying to bring up an RTOS (vxworks) using u-boot and have had
> some "partial" success:
>
> If I use the 2014 u-boot that comes with Quartus 18.1 (a tarball in
> the download), vxworks successfully boots.
>
> If I clone the github repo
> (https://github.com/altera-opensource/u-boot-socfpga.git)  and build
> u-boot from that (2020), vxworks fails to boot. What appears to be
> happening is an (fpga?) watchdog timer goes off and a HW reset is
> called. Then of course, u-boot reboots.
>
> Any thoughts? Why would this occur with the newer u-boot and not with
> the older u-boot?
>
> ---John

I don't see the "Watchdog enabled" message in the output from the older
u-boot.

* Quick question?
@ 2020-09-25 11:13   ` Rayagonda Kokatanur
From: Rayagonda Kokatanur @ 2020-09-25 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020, 4:32 PM jchludzinski <jchludzinski@vivaldi.net> wrote:

> On 2020-09-24 17:36, jchludzinski wrote:
> > I'm trying to bring up an RTOS (vxworks) using u-boot and have had
> > some "partial" success:
> >
> > If I use the 2014 u-boot that comes with Quartus 18.1 (a tarball in
> > the download), vxworks successfully boots.
> >
> > If I clone the github repo
> > (https://github.com/altera-opensource/u-boot-socfpga.git)  and build
> > u-boot from that (2020), vxworks fails to boot. What appears to be
> > happening is an (fpga?) watchdog timer goes off and a HW reset is
> > called. Then of course, u-boot reboots.
> >
> > Any thoughts? Why would this occur with the newer u-boot and not with
> > the older u-boot?
> >
> > ---John
>
> I don't see the "Watchdog enabled" message in the output from the older
> u-boot.

watchdog service starts by default in latest uboot and it's set to 60s.

If you wait for more than 60s at uboot prompt or you os loading takes long
time then watchdog resets.

Define CONFIG_WATCHDOG , this will takes care of resting watchdog.

Thanks,
Rayagonda

On 2020-09-25 07:13, Rayagonda Kokatanur wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020, 4:32 PM jchludzinski <jchludzinski@vivaldi.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2020-09-24 17:36, jchludzinski wrote:
>>> I'm trying to bring up an RTOS (vxworks) using u-boot and have had
>>> some "partial" success:
>>>
>>> If I use the 2014 u-boot that comes with Quartus 18.1 (a tarball
>> in
>>> the download), vxworks successfully boots.
>>>
>>> If I clone the github repo
>>> (https://github.com/altera-opensource/u-boot-socfpga.git)  and
>> build
>>> u-boot from that (2020), vxworks fails to boot. What appears to be
>>> happening is an (fpga?) watchdog timer goes off and a HW reset is
>>> called. Then of course, u-boot reboots.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts? Why would this occur with the newer u-boot and not
>> with
>>> the older u-boot?
>>>
>>> ---John
>>
>> I don't see the "Watchdog enabled" message in the output from the
>> older
>> u-boot.
>
> watchdog service starts by default in latest uboot and it's set to
> 60s.
>
> If you wait for more than 60s at uboot prompt or you os loading takes
> long time then watchdog resets.
>
> Define CONFIG_WATCHDOG , this will takes care of resting watchdog.
>
> Thanks,
> Rayagonda

Thanks for the suggestion but this reset occurs while vxworks is in the
process of booting up.

Could u-boot set a HW watchdog timer before handing control over to
vxworks and, while vxworks is booting, the timer goes off and calls
reset?

* Quick question?
@ 2020-09-25 16:17       ` Rayagonda Kokatanur
From: Rayagonda Kokatanur @ 2020-09-25 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 9:29 PM jchludzinski <jchludzinski@vivaldi.net>
wrote:

> On 2020-09-25 07:13, Rayagonda Kokatanur wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 25, 2020, 4:32 PM jchludzinski <jchludzinski@vivaldi.net>
> > wrote:

> >> in

> >> build

> >> with

> >> I don't see the "Watchdog enabled" message in the output from the
> >> older
> >> u-boot.
> >
> > watchdog service starts by default in latest uboot and it's set to
> > 60s.
> >
> > If you wait for more than 60s at uboot prompt or you os loading takes
> > long time then watchdog resets.
> >
> > Define CONFIG_WATCHDOG , this will takes care of resting watchdog.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rayagonda
> >

> Thanks for the suggestion but this reset occurs while vxworks is in the
> process of booting up.
>
> Could u-boot set a HW watchdog timer before handing control over to
> vxworks and, while vxworks is booting, the timer goes off and calls
> reset?

If wdt is not initialized by vxworks then I think uboot wdt will be running
and it will reset.
Did you try  defining  CONFIG_WATCHDOG  in uboot ?

Best regards,
Rayagonda
On 2020-09-25 12:17, Rayagonda Kokatanur wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 9:29 PM jchludzinski
> <jchludzinski@vivaldi.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2020-09-25 07:13, Rayagonda Kokatanur wrote:
>>> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020, 4:32 PM jchludzinski
>> <jchludzinski@vivaldi.net>

>> had

>> be
>> is

>>> watchdog service starts by default in latest uboot and it's set to
>>> 60s.
>>>
>>> If you wait for more than 60s at uboot prompt or you os loading
>> takes
>>> long time then watchdog resets.
>>>
>>> Define CONFIG_WATCHDOG , this will takes care of resting watchdog.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Rayagonda
>>>

>> Thanks for the suggestion but this reset occurs while vxworks is in
>> the
>> process of booting up.
>>
>> Could u-boot set a HW watchdog timer before handing control over to
>> vxworks and, while vxworks is booting, the timer goes off and calls
>> reset?
>
> If wdt is not initialized by vxworks then I think uboot wdt will be
> running and it will reset.
> Did you try  defining  CONFIG_WATCHDOG  in uboot ?
>
> Best regards,
> Rayagonda

Yes I did. It continues to reset.

---John

* Re: Quick question?
@ 2013-12-11 13:17     ` Colin Watson
From: Colin Watson @ 2013-12-11 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 12:40:28PM +0000, Stojsavljevic, Zoran wrote:
> Version #5536.

There isn't a direct equivalent of "bzr revno" in git (for what I've
always felt are spurious reasons, but anyway).  "git describe --tags
HEAD", or just the SHA-1 of the tip commit, are generally reasonable
approaches depending on what you're trying to do.

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

* RE: Quick question?
@ 2013-12-10 12:40   ` Stojsavljevic, Zoran
From: Stojsavljevic, Zoran @ 2013-12-10 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Borzenkov, The development of GNU GRUB

Version #5536.

Thank you,
Zoran
_______
Most of The Time you should be "intel inside" to be capable to think "out of the box".

From: Andrey Borzenkov @ 2013-12-09 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB; +Cc: zoran.stojsavljevic

@ 2013-12-09 16:00 ` Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2013-12-09 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stojsavljevic, Zoran; +Cc: 'The development of GNU GRUB'

On 09.12.2013 16:59, Stojsavljevic, Zoran wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I see that grub-devel changed from bzr to git.
>
> What will be the equivalent of: http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/grub/trunk/grub/changes ? This link does not work anymore.
>
> How to find what is the GRUB version, from the current snapshot taken from git (git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/grub.git)?

Doesn't sounds like question for grub-devel or something you'd add
persons manually to CC.

@ 2013-12-09 15:59 Stojsavljevic, Zoran
From: Stojsavljevic, Zoran @ 2013-12-09 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'The development of GNU GRUB',
	'Vladimir 'f-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko'

Hello,

I see that grub-devel changed from bzr to git.

What will be the equivalent of: http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/grub/trunk/grub/changes ? This link does not work anymore.

How to find what is the GRUB version, from the current snapshot taken from git (git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/grub.git)?

Thank you,
Zoran
_______
Most of The Time you should be "intel inside" to be capable to think "out of the box".

Intel GmbH
Dornacher Strasse 1
85622 Feldkirchen/Muenchen, Deutschland
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Christian Lamprechter, Hannes Schwaderer, Douglas Lusk
Registergericht: Muenchen HRB 47456
Ust.-IdNr./VAT Registration No.: DE129385895
Citibank Frankfurt a.M. (BLZ 502 109 00) 600119052

* Quick Question ..
@ 2006-06-06  9:36     ` Gordon Henderson
From: Gordon Henderson @ 2006-06-06  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm just after conformation (or not!) of something I've done for a long
time which I think is right - it certainly seem right, but one of those
things I've always wondered about ...

When creating an array I allocate drives from alternative controllers with
the thought that the OS/system/hardware might be able to better overlap
accesses to the devices - but it sort of assumes that the kernel drivers
(and/or mdadm) don't re-order accesses to the devices internally (I'm not
counting SCSI logical re-ordering here)

So. eg. an example I'm working on now - I have a server with 2 external
facing SCSI interfaces, and a box with 14 drives on 2 chains - so 7 drives
on each interface (I'd prefer less, but it's what I've got - it's a Dell
external box)  sd{a-g} are on scsi0, and sd{h-n} are on scsi1, so I issue
the create command with:

  mdadm --create /dev/md1 -n14 -l6	\
	 /dev/sda /dev/sdh		\
	 /dev/sdb /dev/sdi		\
	etc.

I guess benchmarking it would be the way to really test it, but I'm not
after performance for this particular box - just after some thoughts as to
whether this is the "best" (or not!) way to do things, or if I'm wasting
my time doing it this way!

Thanks,

Gordon