* [GIT PULL FOR TEST v2] Another round of build script tweaks
@ 2016-05-04 15:39 Akira Yokosawa
From: Akira Yokosawa @ 2016-05-04 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paulmck; +Cc: perfbook, Akira Yokosawa

Hi, Paul.

Finally, I set up a GitHub account, and pushed v2 of the series
"Another round of build script tweaks".

Please pull this into your local test branch and take time to see if
it actually works as you would expect. I'm fairly certain there would
be some regression, especially in the final commit 92ae43c3a72a
("Further improvement of build scripts").
I'm also concerned about the fix of sig-theft.dot.

Changes from v1.
    Reorganized the entire series so that minor changes would come
    first.

Note: While I set up the account, I noticed a typo in my git-config
setting of user.email.  My email address in the commit messages so
far was wrong. Sorry for the slip-up...

                                                Thanks, Akira

---
The following changes since commit 3f8bb7d620edee44637be00ba738761a4fc0732e:

  .gitignore: Add planned empty targets (2016-05-03 17:49:50 -0700)

are available in the git repository at:

  https://github.com/akiyks/perfbook.git makefile-tweaks-v2

for you to fetch changes up to 92ae43c3a72a3bcd7fd99ac681209ceafc6d7e65:

  Further improvement of build scripts (2016-05-04 23:43:06 +0900)

Akira Yokosawa (7):
      Add font installation check
      Add short name targets in Makefile
      sig-theft: Fix .dot source for dot - graphviz version 2.36.0
      Make default target of "make" overridable
      Makefile: Reorder rules
      Makefile: Use wildcards
      Further improvement of build scripts

 .gitignore            |   1 -
 FAQ.txt               |  23 ++++
 Makefile              | 336 ++++++++++++++++++-------------------------------
 count/sig-theft.dot   |  17 +--
 count/sig-theft.eps   | 338 +++++++++++++++++++++++---------------------------
 utilities/eps2pdf.sh  |  12 ++
 utilities/runlatex.sh |   9 ++

* Re: [GIT PULL FOR TEST v2] Another round of build script tweaks
@ 2016-05-04 23:35 ` Akira Yokosawa
From: Akira Yokosawa @ 2016-05-04 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paulmck; +Cc: perfbook, Akira Yokosawa

On 2016/05/05 0:39, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> Hi, Paul.
>
> Finally, I set up a GitHub account, and pushed v2 of the series
> "Another round of build script tweaks".
>
> Please pull this into your local test branch and take time to see if
> it actually works as you would expect. I'm fairly certain there would
> be some regression, especially in the final commit 92ae43c3a72a
> ("Further improvement of build scripts").
> I'm also concerned about the fix of sig-theft.dot.
>
> Changes from v1.
>     Reorganized the entire series so that minor changes would come
>     first.
>
> Note: While I set up the account, I noticed a typo in my git-config
> setting of user.email.  My email address in the commit messages so
> far was wrong. Sorry for the slip-up...
>
>                                                 Thanks, Akira
>
> ---
> The following changes since commit 3f8bb7d620edee44637be00ba738761a4fc0732e:
>
>   .gitignore: Add planned empty targets (2016-05-03 17:49:50 -0700)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>   https://github.com/akiyks/perfbook.git makefile-tweaks-v2
>
> for you to fetch changes up to 92ae43c3a72a3bcd7fd99ac681209ceafc6d7e65:
>
>   Further improvement of build scripts (2016-05-04 23:43:06 +0900)

> Akira Yokosawa (7):
>       Add font installation check
>       Add short name targets in Makefile
>       sig-theft: Fix .dot source for dot - graphviz version 2.36.0
>       Make default target of "make" overridable
>       Makefile: Reorder rules
>       Makefile: Use wildcards
>       Further improvement of build scripts
>
>  .gitignore            |   1 -
>  FAQ.txt               |  23 ++++
>  Makefile              | 336 ++++++++++++++++++-------------------------------
>  count/sig-theft.dot   |  17 +--
>  count/sig-theft.eps   | 338 +++++++++++++++++++++++---------------------------
>  utilities/eps2pdf.sh  |  12 ++
>  utilities/runlatex.sh |   9 ++

There was a regression in Makefile that prevents build after "make distclean".
The fix is pushed.

---
The following changes since commit 92ae43c3a72a3bcd7fd99ac681209ceafc6d7e65:

  Further improvement of build scripts (2016-05-04 23:43:06 +0900)

are available in the git repository at:

  https://github.com/akiyks/perfbook.git makefile-tweaks-v2

for you to fetch changes up to c496b1d5c45dec5401658449d049d2b4e70148c4:

  Fix regression in Makefile (2016-05-05 08:23:46 +0900)

Akira Yokosawa (1):
      Fix regression in Makefile

 Makefile | 1 +
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)

* Re: [GIT PULL FOR TEST v2] Another round of build script tweaks
@ 2016-05-05 13:21   ` Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2016-05-05 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akira Yokosawa; +Cc: perfbook

On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 08:35:45AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> On 2016/05/05 0:39, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> > Hi, Paul.
> >
> > Finally, I set up a GitHub account, and pushed v2 of the series
> > "Another round of build script tweaks".
> >
> > Please pull this into your local test branch and take time to see if
> > it actually works as you would expect. I'm fairly certain there would
> > be some regression, especially in the final commit 92ae43c3a72a
> > ("Further improvement of build scripts").
> > I'm also concerned about the fix of sig-theft.dot.
> >
> > Changes from v1.
> >     Reorganized the entire series so that minor changes would come
> >     first.
> >
> > Note: While I set up the account, I noticed a typo in my git-config
> > setting of user.email.  My email address in the commit messages so
> > far was wrong. Sorry for the slip-up...

So akiysw@gmail.com is wrong and akiyks@gmail.com is correct, right?
Looks like it from the email archives.

And in general, this looks to be good cleanup work.  I do have some
questions and comments below.

> >                                                 Thanks, Akira
> >
> > ---
> > The following changes since commit 3f8bb7d620edee44637be00ba738761a4fc0732e:
> >
> >   .gitignore: Add planned empty targets (2016-05-03 17:49:50 -0700)
> >
> > are available in the git repository at:
> >
> >   https://github.com/akiyks/perfbook.git makefile-tweaks-v2
> >
> > for you to fetch changes up to 92ae43c3a72a3bcd7fd99ac681209ceafc6d7e65:
> >
> >   Further improvement of build scripts (2016-05-04 23:43:06 +0900)

> > Akira Yokosawa (7):
> >       Add font installation check

Hmmm...  The numbering is a bit inconsistent.  And there are a lot of
build questions.  We should place the trouble-shooting questions (1-4)
to a FAQ-build.txt file.  Then have FAQ.txt file question #1's answer be
"See FAQ-build.txt".  And then renumber the remaining FAQ.txt questions.

Would you be willing to do this?

Also, please delete "have ever" from "If you have ever built" in the
first line of the answer.

> >       Add short name targets in Makefile

For this one, the answer should also mention "make hb" for the
perfbook-hb.pdf that is useful for making hard-bound printouts.

> >       sig-theft: Fix .dot source for dot - graphviz version 2.36.0

Looks good!

> >       Make default target of "make" overridable

This one should mention "hb" as well.

> >       Makefile: Reorder rules

Looks good!

> >       Makefile: Use wildcards

Hmmm...  I didn't know that you could do this.  Something about having
started using "make" more than 30 years ago, I guess.

For BIBSOURCES, please do "BIBSOURCES = bib/*.bib" on one line.  I do
not expect multiple bibliography directories.

The dot files should probably be processed in the same way -- I added
them at different times, and apparently didn't make the processing
consistent.  As long as you are fixing things, this would be good to
fix as well.

> >       Further improvement of build scripts

I don't understand the point of interchanging the 1c and 2c rules.

I don't understand why perfbook.pdf no longer depends on extraction.
Ah, I see, the dependency is still there, but via perfbook.bbl and
perfbook_aux.

Rather than create "perfbook_aux" and "extraction" files, wouldn't it be
more natural for perfbook.aux to depend on contrib.tex and origpub.tex,
and then have separate rules to generate each of these files?  Ditto
or perfbook-bh_aux, and perfbook-1c_aux.

I do see the point of the "embedfonts" file -- nothing really to depend
on otherwise, since the files are fixed up in place.  So I am OK with
that one.

							Thanx, Paul

@ 2016-05-05 23:47     ` Akira Yokosawa
From: Akira Yokosawa @ 2016-05-05 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paulmck; +Cc: perfbook, Akira Yokosawa

On 2016/05/05 06:21:53 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 08:35:45AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
>> On 2016/05/05 0:39, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
>>> Hi, Paul.
>>>
>>> Finally, I set up a GitHub account, and pushed v2 of the series
>>> "Another round of build script tweaks".
>>>
>>> Please pull this into your local test branch and take time to see if
>>> it actually works as you would expect. I'm fairly certain there would
>>> be some regression, especially in the final commit 92ae43c3a72a
>>> ("Further improvement of build scripts").
>>> I'm also concerned about the fix of sig-theft.dot.
>>>
>>> Changes from v1.
>>>     Reorganized the entire series so that minor changes would come
>>>     first.
>>>
>>> Note: While I set up the account, I noticed a typo in my git-config
>>> setting of user.email.  My email address in the commit messages so
>>> far was wrong. Sorry for the slip-up...
>
> So akiysw@gmail.com is wrong and akiyks@gmail.com is correct, right?
> Looks like it from the email archives.

Yes, that's right.

> And in general, this looks to be good cleanup work.  I do have some
> questions and comments below.

OK.

>>>                                                 Thanks, Akira
>>>
>>> ---
>>> The following changes since commit 3f8bb7d620edee44637be00ba738761a4fc0732e:
>>>
>>>   .gitignore: Add planned empty targets (2016-05-03 17:49:50 -0700)
>>>
>>> are available in the git repository at:
>>>
>>>   https://github.com/akiyks/perfbook.git makefile-tweaks-v2
>>>
>>> for you to fetch changes up to 92ae43c3a72a3bcd7fd99ac681209ceafc6d7e65:
>>>
>>>   Further improvement of build scripts (2016-05-04 23:43:06 +0900)

>>> Akira Yokosawa (7):
>>>       Add font installation check
>
> Hmmm...  The numbering is a bit inconsistent.  And there are a lot of
> build questions.  We should place the trouble-shooting questions (1-4)
> to a FAQ-build.txt file.  Then have FAQ.txt file question #1's answer be
> "See FAQ-build.txt".  And then renumber the remaining FAQ.txt questions.
>
> Would you be willing to do this?

Will do.

> Also, please delete "have ever" from "If you have ever built" in the
> first line of the answer.

Will do

>>>       Add short name targets in Makefile
>
> For this one, the answer should also mention "make hb" for the
> perfbook-hb.pdf that is useful for making hard-bound printouts.

I see.

>>>       sig-theft: Fix .dot source for dot - graphviz version 2.36.0
>
> Looks good!
>
>>>       Make default target of "make" overridable
>
> This one should mention "hb" as well.

You mean in FAQ-BUILD.txt?

>>>       Makefile: Reorder rules
>
> Looks good!
>
>>>       Makefile: Use wildcards
>
> Hmmm...  I didn't know that you could do this.  Something about having
> started using "make" more than 30 years ago, I guess.
>
> For BIBSOURCES, please do "BIBSOURCES = bib/*.bib" on one line.  I do
> not expect multiple bibliography directories.

Will do.

> The dot files should probably be processed in the same way -- I added
> them at different times, and apparently didn't make the processing
> consistent.  As long as you are fixing things, this would be good to
> fix as well.

So, the old one (dot -> eps) seems to be used because you want to convert
the font to embeddable one. This is the way you want both .dot files
(and other files to be added in the future) are handled?

>>>       Further improvement of build scripts
>
> I don't understand the point of interchanging the 1c and 2c rules.

Ah, I put the one corresponding to the default target above.
But there was no point doing that. Will fix.

> I don't understand why perfbook.pdf no longer depends on extraction.
> Ah, I see, the dependency is still there, but via perfbook.bbl and
> perfbook_aux.
>
> Rather than create "perfbook_aux" and "extraction" files, wouldn't it be
> more natural for perfbook.aux to depend on contrib.tex and origpub.tex,
> and then have separate rules to generate each of these files?  Ditto
> or perfbook-bh_aux, and perfbook-1c_aux.

Well, perfbook_aux seems unnecessary if perfbook.bbl is touched just
before perfbook.pdf in runlatex.sh.

contrib.tex and origpub.tex are tricky here. I'll try to explain.

There are loops in dependency around perfbook_flat.tex

perfbook_flat.tex requires an empty qqz.tex and up-to-date
contrib.tex and origpub.tex for texexpand to work properly.

Both contrib.tex and origpub.tex requires perfbook_flat.tex.
contrib.tex also requires up-to-date qqz.tex.

So at first glance, rules for contrib.tex and origpub.tex
can be added, but that requires extraction to be a phony
target.

extraction is prerequisite for perfbook.aux.
If you make it a phony target, the rule for perfbook.aux is
always executed. That means runfirstlatex.run will run even
if no source file is updated.

Does the above explanation answer your question?

I may have missed something here. My original intention was
to remove qqz.tex, contrib.tex and origpub.tex from the
repository. I'd be happy if that can be done without any
regression.

> I do see the point of the "embedfonts" file -- nothing really to depend
> on otherwise, since the files are fixed up in place.  So I am OK with
> that one.
>
> 							Thanx, Paul

Is it OK to commit the fixes on the makefile-tweaks-v2 branch?

And there is a related question I'd like to ask.

Is the target perfbook_html actively maintained?
When I tried this, I got a plenty of warning messages and the
html files generated under perfbook_html seemed incomplete.
Is there any prerequisite package for this to work?

                                                     Thanks, Akira

@ 2016-05-06 11:09       ` Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2016-05-06 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akira Yokosawa; +Cc: perfbook

On Fri, May 06, 2016 at 08:47:13AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> On 2016/05/05 06:21:53 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> > So akiysw@gmail.com is wrong and akiyks@gmail.com is correct, right?
> > Looks like it from the email archives.
>
> Yes, that's right.
>
> > And in general, this looks to be good cleanup work.  I do have some
> > questions and comments below.
>
> OK.

> > Hmmm...  The numbering is a bit inconsistent.  And there are a lot of
> > build questions.  We should place the trouble-shooting questions (1-4)
> > to a FAQ-build.txt file.  Then have FAQ.txt file question #1's answer be
> > "See FAQ-build.txt".  And then renumber the remaining FAQ.txt questions.
> >
> > Would you be willing to do this?
>
> Will do.
>
> > Also, please delete "have ever" from "If you have ever built" in the
> > first line of the answer.
>
> Will do

> > For this one, the answer should also mention "make hb" for the
> > perfbook-hb.pdf that is useful for making hard-bound printouts.
>
> I see.

> > Looks good!

> > This one should mention "hb" as well.
>
> You mean in FAQ-BUILD.txt?

Yes, please.

> > Looks good!

> > Hmmm...  I didn't know that you could do this.  Something about having
> > started using "make" more than 30 years ago, I guess.
> >
> > For BIBSOURCES, please do "BIBSOURCES = bib/*.bib" on one line.  I do
> > not expect multiple bibliography directories.
>
> Will do.
>
> > The dot files should probably be processed in the same way -- I added
> > them at different times, and apparently didn't make the processing
> > consistent.  As long as you are fixing things, this would be good to
> > fix as well.
>
> So, the old one (dot -> eps) seems to be used because you want to convert
> the font to embeddable one. This is the way you want both .dot files
> (and other files to be added in the future) are handled?

I am not going to be that specific.  ;-)

You are right, the fonts must be embeddable because otherwise the various
Internet printing services cannot handle the resulting PDF.  Which might
well mean that the new one is broken -- I use the Internet printing
services only once every few years, so I would not have seen the bug.

> > I don't understand the point of interchanging the 1c and 2c rules.
>
> Ah, I put the one corresponding to the default target above.
> But there was no point doing that. Will fix.
>
> > I don't understand why perfbook.pdf no longer depends on extraction.
> > Ah, I see, the dependency is still there, but via perfbook.bbl and
> > perfbook_aux.
> >
> > Rather than create "perfbook_aux" and "extraction" files, wouldn't it be
> > more natural for perfbook.aux to depend on contrib.tex and origpub.tex,
> > and then have separate rules to generate each of these files?  Ditto
> > or perfbook-bh_aux, and perfbook-1c_aux.
>
> Well, perfbook_aux seems unnecessary if perfbook.bbl is touched just
> before perfbook.pdf in runlatex.sh.
>
> contrib.tex and origpub.tex are tricky here. I'll try to explain.
>
> There are loops in dependency around perfbook_flat.tex
>
> perfbook_flat.tex requires an empty qqz.tex and up-to-date
> contrib.tex and origpub.tex for texexpand to work properly.
>
> Both contrib.tex and origpub.tex requires perfbook_flat.tex.
> contrib.tex also requires up-to-date qqz.tex.
>
> So at first glance, rules for contrib.tex and origpub.tex
> can be added, but that requires extraction to be a phony
> target.
>
> extraction is prerequisite for perfbook.aux.
> If you make it a phony target, the rule for perfbook.aux is
> always executed. That means runfirstlatex.run will run even
> if no source file is updated.
>
> Does the above explanation answer your question?

I had forgotten about that complication, thank you for the explanation.

> I may have missed something here. My original intention was
> to remove qqz.tex, contrib.tex and origpub.tex from the
> repository. I'd be happy if that can be done without any
> regression.

I would be fine with them being removed.

> > I do see the point of the "embedfonts" file -- nothing really to depend
> > on otherwise, since the files are fixed up in place.  So I am OK with
> > that one.
> >
> > 							Thanx, Paul
>
> Is it OK to commit the fixes on the makefile-tweaks-v2 branch?

Make the above changes, and I will commit it.  "git rebase -i" is
of course your friend for this task.

> And there is a related question I'd like to ask.
>
> Is the target perfbook_html actively maintained?
> When I tried this, I got a plenty of warning messages and the
> html files generated under perfbook_html seemed incomplete.
> Is there any prerequisite package for this to work?

The perfbook_html never did work very well.  The people asking for it
eventually decided that perfbook-1c.pdf worked well enough for them.
I would be fine with perfbook_html being removed.  Or fixed, just in
case someone has created a good latex-to-html conversion tool since
I last looked.  When I last looked, the coversion looked great unless
you looked closely.  It tended to corrupt some figures.

							Thanx, Paul

>                                                      Thanks, Akira

> >> There was a regression in Makefile that prevents build after "make distclean".
> >> The fix is pushed.
> >>
> >> ---
> >> The following changes since commit 92ae43c3a72a3bcd7fd99ac681209ceafc6d7e65:
> >>
> >>   Further improvement of build scripts (2016-05-04 23:43:06 +0900)
> >>
> >> are available in the git repository at:
> >>
> >>   https://github.com/akiyks/perfbook.git makefile-tweaks-v2
> >>
> >> for you to fetch changes up to c496b1d5c45dec5401658449d049d2b4e70148c4:
> >>
> >>   Fix regression in Makefile (2016-05-05 08:23:46 +0900)

> >> Akira Yokosawa (1):
> >>       Fix regression in Makefile
> >>
> >>  Makefile | 1 +
> >>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)

* [GIT PULL v3] Another round of build script tweaks
@ 2016-05-07  0:06         ` Akira Yokosawa
From: Akira Yokosawa @ 2016-05-07  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paulmck; +Cc: perfbook, Akira Yokosawa

Hi, Paul.

On 2016/05/06 04:09:35 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Fri, May 06, 2016 at 08:47:13AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
>> Is it OK to commit the fixes on the makefile-tweaks-v2 branch?
>
> Make the above changes, and I will commit it.  "git rebase -i" is
> of course your friend for this task.

It seems there were no advance in master since then, so rebase was
not necessary.

Pull request follows. Note that this is relative to the last one.
Do you prefer a request relative to the current master?

                                           Thanks, Akira
---
The following changes since commit c496b1d5c45dec5401658449d049d2b4e70148c4:

  Fix regression in Makefile (2016-05-05 08:23:46 +0900)

are available in the git repository at:

  https://github.com/akiyks/perfbook.git makefile-tweaks-v2

for you to fetch changes up to 8e169b78cd71b72afecfd4c2ad5843119da974fe:

  Makefile: Add comment on why 'extraction' is an empty target (2016-05-07 08:42:26 +0900)

Akira Yokosawa (5):
      Place trouble-shooting questions to FAQ-BUILD.txt
      Further tweaks of Makefile
      rm qqz.tex and add store15tred.esp to repository
      Remove rules related to perfbook_html
      Makefile: Add comment on why 'extraction' is an empty target

 .gitignore              |   10 +-
 FAQ-BUILD.txt           |   80 +
 FAQ.txt                 |   91 +-
 Makefile                |   82 +-
 advsync/store15tred.eps |  653 ++++
 qqz.tex                 | 7707 -----------------------------------------------
 utilities/runlatex.sh   |    6 +-
 create mode 100644 FAQ-BUILD.txt
 create mode 100644 advsync/store15tred.eps
 delete mode 100644 qqz.tex

* Re: [GIT PULL v3] Another round of build script tweaks
@ 2016-05-07 13:20           ` Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2016-05-07 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akira Yokosawa; +Cc: perfbook

On Sat, May 07, 2016 at 09:06:18AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> Hi, Paul.
>
> On 2016/05/06 04:09:35 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > On Fri, May 06, 2016 at 08:47:13AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> >> Is it OK to commit the fixes on the makefile-tweaks-v2 branch?
> >
> > Make the above changes, and I will commit it.  "git rebase -i" is
> > of course your friend for this task.
> >

> It seems there were no advance in master since then, so rebase was
> not necessary.

The issue is not master moving.  If I do move it in the next little
bit, it will be for changes under CodeSamples, which won't conflict
with your changes anyway.  So for me it will be a simple merge, not
a problem at all.

I am instead asking you to rebase in order to put the changes I
requested into a few of the earlier patches.  For example:

	git branch makefile-tweaks-v3
	git rebase -i origin/master origin/master makefile-tweaks-v3

Creating the branch allows you to keep the history.  This is important,
as it allows you to do this as a check after you are done:

	git diff makefile-tweaks-v2

Any diffs should of course correspond to intentional changes.

Alternatively, you can do the following:

	git checkout -b makefile-tweaks-v3 origin/master

Then for each commit ID "X":

	git cherry-pick -n X
	# Do any needed editing
	git commit -a -s

At the end, you can again use "git diff" to check your work.

You don't have a huge number of commits, so either way will work well.
If you had (say) 20 commits, "git rebase -i" would work much better.

> Pull request follows. Note that this is relative to the last one.
> Do you prefer a request relative to the current master?

Please!  That allows you to create FAQ-BUILD.txt to start with and
have your changes relative to that.

>                                            Thanks, Akira
> ---
> The following changes since commit c496b1d5c45dec5401658449d049d2b4e70148c4:
>
>   Fix regression in Makefile (2016-05-05 08:23:46 +0900)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>   https://github.com/akiyks/perfbook.git makefile-tweaks-v2
>
> for you to fetch changes up to 8e169b78cd71b72afecfd4c2ad5843119da974fe:
>
>   Makefile: Add comment on why 'extraction' is an empty target (2016-05-07 08:42:26 +0900)

> Akira Yokosawa (5):
>       Place trouble-shooting questions to FAQ-BUILD.txt

Good!  But please make #1's answer be just:

		See FAQ-BUILD.txt for build information.  That way all
		the build information is in one place.

Then FAQ-BUILD.txt #1 should be something like "How to I build this?"
and the answer should be 'Install the Steel City Comic font and then
type "make".'  Then renumber the questions.

For FAQ-BUILD.txt #2, please change "I prefer perfbook-1c.pdf" to
"I prefer the single-column perfbook-1c.pdf".  This will make it
clear to people what they get from this.

For FAQ-BUILD.txt #3, please change the "will build perfbook.pdf" in the
last line of the answer to "will build the single-column perfbook.pdf".

For FAQ-BUILD.txt #4, in the last line of the answer, please change
"always works" to "will override the default specified by the
environment variable".

For FAQ-BUILD.txt #7, please update the final sentence of the answer
to take perfbook-hb.log into account.  For example, "Please send me the
log output (perfbook.log, perfbook-1c.log, or perfbook-hb.log,
depending on which you were building) so that I can fix the scripts.
This can be a separate commit, since it is a bug in my original.

>       Further tweaks of Makefile

Please remove the perfbook_html-related rules first, and then do the
update.  That way your changes will be a lot simpler.

>       rm qqz.tex and add store15tred.esp to repository

The "store15tred.esp" should be "store15tred.eps", right?  Please
update this commit's log.

>       Remove rules related to perfbook_html

As noted earlier, please do this removal before "Further tweaks of
Makefile".  (I am not asking you to move this to the very front
of all of your commits because I didn't ask you to remove this
until after you did those commits.  Though doing that might simplify
your series even more.)

>       Makefile: Add comment on why 'extraction' is an empty target

Very good addition, thank you!

							Thanx, Paul

@ 2016-05-07 15:23             ` Akira Yokosawa
From: Akira Yokosawa @ 2016-05-07 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paulmck; +Cc: perfbook, Akira Yokosawa

On 2016/05/07 06:20:39 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Sat, May 07, 2016 at 09:06:18AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
>> Hi, Paul.

>>> Make the above changes, and I will commit it.  "git rebase -i" is
>>> of course your friend for this task.
>>>

>> It seems there were no advance in master since then, so rebase was
>> not necessary.
>
> The issue is not master moving.  If I do move it in the next little
> bit, it will be for changes under CodeSamples, which won't conflict
> with your changes anyway.  So for me it will be a simple merge, not
> a problem at all.
>
> I am instead asking you to rebase in order to put the changes I
> requested into a few of the earlier patches.  For example:
>
> 	git branch makefile-tweaks-v3
> 	git rebase -i origin/master origin/master makefile-tweaks-v3
>
> Creating the branch allows you to keep the history.  This is important,
> as it allows you to do this as a check after you are done:
>
> 	git diff makefile-tweaks-v2
>
> Any diffs should of course correspond to intentional changes.
>
> Alternatively, you can do the following:
>
> 	git checkout -b makefile-tweaks-v3 origin/master
>
> Then for each commit ID "X":
>
> 	git cherry-pick -n X
> 	# Do any needed editing
> 	git commit -a -s
>
> At the end, you can again use "git diff" to check your work.
>
> You don't have a huge number of commits, so either way will work well.
> If you had (say) 20 commits, "git rebase -i" would work much better.
>
>> Pull request follows. Note that this is relative to the last one.
>> Do you prefer a request relative to the current master?
>
> Please!  That allows you to create FAQ-BUILD.txt to start with and
> have your changes relative to that.

I see. Attached is the retry of the PULL request. I hope it is what you are
expecting. In the future, I'll do things this way. There are a lot of things
I need to learn regarding the workflow using git.

                                             Thanks, Akira
---
Changes from v2:
    changes from "Fix regression in Makefile" to "Makefile: Add comment on why
    'extraction' is an empty target".  In short,
        1) regression in v2 ("make distclean") is fixed
        2) questions on build issues in FAQ.txt are moved to a new file FAQ-BUILD.txt,
        3) use of empty targets "perfbook_aux", "perfbook-1c_aux" and
           "perfbook-hb_aux" are abandoned and actual "perfbook.aux", etc. are
           used instead,
        4) rule for qqz.tex is added and qqz.tex is removed from the repository,
        5) rule for (.dot -> pdf) is removed and rule of (.dot -> .eps) is used
           instead. store15tred.esp is added to the repository,
        6) rules related to perfbook_html is removed,

Changes from v1:
    Reorganized the entire series so that minor changes would come
    first.

---
The following changes since commit 3f8bb7d620edee44637be00ba738761a4fc0732e:

  .gitignore: Add planned empty targets (2016-05-03 17:49:50 -0700)

are available in the git repository at:

  https://github.com/akiyks/perfbook.git makefile-tweaks-v3

for you to fetch changes up to 22332091df93f7255a8b898272be903f365a7152:

  Makefile: Add comment on why 'extraction' is an empty target (2016-05-07 23:36:48 +0900)

Akira Yokosawa (13):
      Add font installation check
      Add short name targets in Makefile
      sig-theft: Fix .dot source for dot - graphviz version 2.36.0
      Make default target of "make" overridable
      Makefile: Reorder rules
      Makefile: Use wildcards
      Further improvement of build scripts
      Fix regression in Makefile
      Place trouble-shooting questions to FAQ-BUILD.txt
      Further tweaks of Makefile
      rm qqz.tex and add store15tred.esp in repository
      Remove rules related to perfbook_html
      Makefile: Add comment on why 'extraction' is an empty target

 .gitignore              |   11 +-
 FAQ-BUILD.txt           |   80 +
 FAQ.txt                 |   68 +-
 Makefile                |  353 +--
 advsync/store15tred.eps |  653 ++++
 count/sig-theft.dot     |   17 +-
 count/sig-theft.eps     |  338 +--
 qqz.tex                 | 7707 -----------------------------------------------
 utilities/eps2pdf.sh    |   12 +
 utilities/runlatex.sh   |   13 +-

@ 2016-05-11  9:17               ` Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2016-05-11  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akira Yokosawa; +Cc: perfbook

On Sun, May 08, 2016 at 12:23:49AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> On 2016/05/07 06:20:39 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > On Sat, May 07, 2016 at 09:06:18AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> >> Hi, Paul.

> >> It seems there were no advance in master since then, so rebase was
> >> not necessary.
> >
> > The issue is not master moving.  If I do move it in the next little
> > bit, it will be for changes under CodeSamples, which won't conflict
> > with your changes anyway.  So for me it will be a simple merge, not
> > a problem at all.
> >
> > I am instead asking you to rebase in order to put the changes I
> > requested into a few of the earlier patches.  For example:
> >
> > 	git branch makefile-tweaks-v3
> > 	git rebase -i origin/master origin/master makefile-tweaks-v3
> >
> > Creating the branch allows you to keep the history.  This is important,
> > as it allows you to do this as a check after you are done:
> >
> > 	git diff makefile-tweaks-v2
> >
> > Any diffs should of course correspond to intentional changes.
> >
> > Alternatively, you can do the following:
> >
> > 	git checkout -b makefile-tweaks-v3 origin/master
> >
> > Then for each commit ID "X":
> >
> > 	git cherry-pick -n X
> > 	# Do any needed editing
> > 	git commit -a -s
> >
> > At the end, you can again use "git diff" to check your work.
> >
> > You don't have a huge number of commits, so either way will work well.
> > If you had (say) 20 commits, "git rebase -i" would work much better.
> >
> >> Pull request follows. Note that this is relative to the last one.
> >> Do you prefer a request relative to the current master?
> >
> > Please!  That allows you to create FAQ-BUILD.txt to start with and
> > have your changes relative to that.
>
> I see. Attached is the retry of the PULL request. I hope it is what you are
> expecting. In the future, I'll do things this way. There are a lot of things
> I need to learn regarding the workflow using git.

Understood, "git rebase" was a bit scary for me the first time I got a
conflict.  But could you please at least give it a try?  It is the only
way to become comfortable with it, and that skill is quite valuable.

							Thanx, Paul

> ---
> Changes from v2:
>     changes from "Fix regression in Makefile" to "Makefile: Add comment on why
>     'extraction' is an empty target".  In short,
>         1) regression in v2 ("make distclean") is fixed
>         2) questions on build issues in FAQ.txt are moved to a new file FAQ-BUILD.txt,
>         3) use of empty targets "perfbook_aux", "perfbook-1c_aux" and
>            "perfbook-hb_aux" are abandoned and actual "perfbook.aux", etc. are
>            used instead,
>         4) rule for qqz.tex is added and qqz.tex is removed from the repository,
>         5) rule for (.dot -> pdf) is removed and rule of (.dot -> .eps) is used
>            instead. store15tred.esp is added to the repository,
>         6) rules related to perfbook_html is removed,
>
> Changes from v1:
>     Reorganized the entire series so that minor changes would come
>     first.
>
> ---
> The following changes since commit 3f8bb7d620edee44637be00ba738761a4fc0732e:
>
>   .gitignore: Add planned empty targets (2016-05-03 17:49:50 -0700)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>   https://github.com/akiyks/perfbook.git makefile-tweaks-v3
>
> for you to fetch changes up to 22332091df93f7255a8b898272be903f365a7152:
>
>   Makefile: Add comment on why 'extraction' is an empty target (2016-05-07 23:36:48 +0900)

> Akira Yokosawa (13):
>       Add font installation check
>       Add short name targets in Makefile
>       sig-theft: Fix .dot source for dot - graphviz version 2.36.0
>       Make default target of "make" overridable
>       Makefile: Reorder rules
>       Makefile: Use wildcards
>       Further improvement of build scripts
>       Fix regression in Makefile
>       Place trouble-shooting questions to FAQ-BUILD.txt
>       Further tweaks of Makefile
>       rm qqz.tex and add store15tred.esp in repository
>       Remove rules related to perfbook_html
>       Makefile: Add comment on why 'extraction' is an empty target
>
>  .gitignore              |   11 +-
>  FAQ-BUILD.txt           |   80 +
>  FAQ.txt                 |   68 +-
>  Makefile                |  353 +--
>  advsync/store15tred.eps |  653 ++++
>  count/sig-theft.dot     |   17 +-
>  count/sig-theft.eps     |  338 +--
>  qqz.tex                 | 7707 -----------------------------------------------
>  utilities/eps2pdf.sh    |   12 +
>  utilities/runlatex.sh   |   13 +-
>  create mode 100644 FAQ-BUILD.txt
>  create mode 100644 advsync/store15tred.eps
>  delete mode 100644 qqz.tex

* [GIT PULL v4] Another round of build script tweaks
@ 2016-05-11 14:34                 ` Akira Yokosawa
From: Akira Yokosawa @ 2016-05-11 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paulmck; +Cc: perfbook, Akira Yokosawa

On 2016/05/11 02:17:27 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Sun, May 08, 2016 at 12:23:49AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:

>>> The issue is not master moving.  If I do move it in the next little
>>> bit, it will be for changes under CodeSamples, which won't conflict
>>> with your changes anyway.  So for me it will be a simple merge, not
>>> a problem at all.
>>>
>>> I am instead asking you to rebase in order to put the changes I
>>> requested into a few of the earlier patches.  For example:
>>>
>>> 	git branch makefile-tweaks-v3
>>> 	git rebase -i origin/master origin/master makefile-tweaks-v3
>>>
>>> Creating the branch allows you to keep the history.  This is important,
>>> as it allows you to do this as a check after you are done:
>>>
>>> 	git diff makefile-tweaks-v2
>>>
>>> Any diffs should of course correspond to intentional changes.
>>>
>>> Alternatively, you can do the following:
>>>
>>> 	git checkout -b makefile-tweaks-v3 origin/master
>>>
>>> Then for each commit ID "X":
>>>
>>> 	git cherry-pick -n X
>>> 	# Do any needed editing
>>> 	git commit -a -s
>>>
>>> At the end, you can again use "git diff" to check your work.
>>>
>>> You don't have a huge number of commits, so either way will work well.
>>> If you had (say) 20 commits, "git rebase -i" would work much better.

>>> Please!  That allows you to create FAQ-BUILD.txt to start with and
>>> have your changes relative to that.
>>
>> I see. Attached is the retry of the PULL request. I hope it is what you are
>> expecting. In the future, I'll do things this way. There are a lot of things
>> I need to learn regarding the workflow using git.
>
> Understood, "git rebase" was a bit scary for me the first time I got a
> conflict.  But could you please at least give it a try?  It is the only
> way to become comfortable with it, and that skill is quite valuable.
>
> 							Thanx, Paul

Hi, Paul.

This time, I tried "git rebase -i".

Made a branch makefile-tweaks-v4 on makefile-tweaks-v2, then did "git rebase -i".
There actually were commits you pushed after makefile-tweaks-v2 was branched, so
the rebase does have some meaning. (no conflict -- went smoothly)

Thank you for giving me a chance to try rebasing. Well, this is an interesting, or
rather, amazing feature of git!

Appended is the pull request of v4. Does this seem right?

                                                        Thanks, Akira
---
Change from v3:
    Rebased to the current master 08259a39f7dc ("Make spinlock primitives abort
    on error for easier debugging") using "git rebase -i"

Changes from v2:
    changes from "Fix regression in Makefile" to "Makefile: Add comment on why
    'extraction' is an empty target".  In short,
        1) regression in v2 ("make distclean") is fixed
        2) questions on build issues in FAQ.txt are moved to a new file FAQ-BUILD.txt,
        3) use of empty targets "perfbook_aux", "perfbook-1c_aux" and
           "perfbook-hb_aux" are abandoned and actual "perfbook.aux", etc. are
           used instead,
        4) rule for qqz.tex is added and qqz.tex is removed from the repository,
        5) rule for (.dot -> pdf) is removed and rule of (.dot -> .eps) is used
           instead. store15tred.esp is added to the repository,
        6) rules related to perfbook_html is removed,

Changes from v1:
    Reorganized the entire series so that minor changes would come
    first.

---
The following changes since commit 08259a39f7dccdd3aead9add883291678a017209:

  Make spinlock primitives abort on error for easier debugging (2016-05-06 10:46:51 -0700)

are available in the git repository at:

  https://github.com/akiyks/perfbook.git makefile-tweaks-v4

for you to fetch changes up to 7f46bce80811f24a1d623da37920964294c623be:

  Makefile: Add comment on why 'extraction' is an empty target (2016-05-11 22:54:49 +0900)

Akira Yokosawa (13):
[...]

* Re: [GIT PULL v4] Another round of build script tweaks
@ 2016-05-14  9:55                   ` Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2016-05-14  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akira Yokosawa; +Cc: perfbook

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 11:34:52PM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> On 2016/05/11 02:17:27 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> >> I see. Attached is the retry of the PULL request. I hope it is what you are
> >> expecting. In the future, I'll do things this way. There are a lot of things
> >> I need to learn regarding the workflow using git.
> >
> > Understood, "git rebase" was a bit scary for me the first time I got a
> > conflict.  But could you please at least give it a try?  It is the only
> > way to become comfortable with it, and that skill is quite valuable.
> >
> > 							Thanx, Paul
>
> Hi, Paul.
>
> This time, I tried "git rebase -i".
>
> Made a branch makefile-tweaks-v4 on makefile-tweaks-v2, then did "git rebase -i".
> There actually were commits you pushed after makefile-tweaks-v2 was branched, so
> the rebase does have some meaning. (no conflict -- went smoothly)
>
> Thank you for giving me a chance to try rebasing. Well, this is an interesting, or
> rather, amazing feature of git!
>
> Appended is the pull request of v4. Does this seem right?

Hello, Akira,

I have pulled this in and pushed it, thank you!

Next time we will work a bit more on your "git rebase" skills, but
this is good for this time.  ;-)

							Thanx, Paul