* Installing iperf3 causes strange image corruption
@ 2017-02-01 20:28 Wilde, DonaldX
From: Wilde, DonaldX @ 2017-02-01 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello, Yocto co-workers -

Our project in CHD uses the poky version Daisy, which does not include iperf3. We've decided that we just have to have the newer version built into our firmware to get the results we need.

One of our much better - but very busy, naturally - people took the Yocto recipes for iperf3 from poky 1.8 (fido) and adapted them for our build.

Unfortunately, what happens is that somewhere along the line after the initial patch and compilation, something in our image gets radically corrupted. With IMAGE_INCLUDE += "iperf3" set, the image is corrupted. Horrible results occur including that much of our NVRAM content becomes invisible and we get dumped into some kind of emergency debugging shell after about 6.3 seconds.

Here's what I want to do, and please tell me if I'm all wet. What I want to do is to find an intermediate target that will enable me to activate every task up through populate_sysroot so that I can do a diff tree on three versions of tmp/sysroots: one with no iperf recipes, one with everything enabled, and one with everything but the image including process activating iperf3.

The strange thing is that iperf3 built from the recipes does work properly even with the image whacked to un-usability. I suspected that some global variable was getting overridden but I can't see it in the iperf3-specific recipe and autoconf  patch.

I do see that iperf3 is being added to a Yocto-generated file called toe.c, but I don't know what that means yet.

In particular, this is a portion of our log that I want to look at, though what is happening to make it fail to generate this file correctly at this point is as yet unclear:

starting pid 1363, tty '': '/etc/init.d/rcS'
can't run '/etc/init.d/rcS': No such file or directory

Please press Enter to activate this console.
starting pid 1364, tty '': '-/bin/sh'

Don Wilde
Intel Connected Home Division

* Re: Installing iperf3 causes strange image corruption
@ 2017-02-07 17:34 ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2017-02-07 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wilde, DonaldX; +Cc: yocto

On 1 February 2017 at 20:28, Wilde, DonaldX <donaldx.wilde@intel.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, what happens is that somewhere along the line after the
> initial patch and compilation, something in our image gets radically
> corrupted. With IMAGE_INCLUDE += “iperf3” set, the image is corrupted.
> Horrible results occur including that much of our NVRAM content becomes
> invisible and we get dumped into some kind of emergency debugging shell
> after about 6.3 seconds.

> starting pid 1363, tty '': '/etc/init.d/rcS'
>
> can't run '/etc/init.d/rcS': No such file or directory

IMAGE_INCLUDE isn't a standard variable, so either you typo'd that or it's
a variable that  your images use.  Either way, your error is basically "the
rootfs is bust" so it's quite possible that by assigning to IMAGE_INCLUDE
from your local.conf may be overriding the default value (set by ?=).

For example, if you meant IMAGE_INSTALL then image.bbclass uses
IMAGE_INSTALL ?= so by doing +=iperf3, you're building an image that *just*
contains iperf3.

Try using IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " iperf3".

Ross

* Re: Installing iperf3 causes strange image corruption
@ 2017-02-07 17:42   ` Wilde, DonaldX
From: Wilde, DonaldX @ 2017-02-07 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto

My bad, Ross. I meant IMAGE_INSTALL. Must have been lexdysic the other day. ☺

@ 2017-02-07 17:43     ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2017-02-07 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wilde, DonaldX; +Cc: yocto

On 7 February 2017 at 17:42, Wilde, DonaldX <donaldx.wilde@intel.com> wrote:

> My bad, Ross. I meant IMAGE_INSTALL. Must have been lexdysic the other
> day. J

In that case my guess was right: don't += it from your local.conf as you'll
wipe the default value away.  Use _append (and remember the leading
whitespace as append doesn't add it for you).

Ross

* Re: Installing iperf3 causes strange image corruption
@ 2017-02-07 17:48       ` Wilde, DonaldX
From: Wilde, DonaldX @ 2017-02-07 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto

As it happens, I learned to generate a statically linked binary that I could load into NVRAM on our board so I could move forward and accomplish my work, but I will take your advice and I believe you’ve told me enough that I can learn to do what you say to do for the future work that I do. Once it works I’ll spread the knowledge in CHD.