* dsnoop slave definition fails on startup
@ 2007-02-04 14:41 S. Petty
From: S. Petty @ 2007-02-04 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

In the past I've used SuSE 9.x for my installations with a Delta 1010LT
card, but the most recent install I opted for SuSE 10.1.  I'm starting
to regret it!   I've never needed to install alsa by hand, the distro
install has always taken care of it.

I have the 1010LT broken out into 8 separate devices.  I have this exact
configuration running on at least a dozen other machines, and have
gotten quite good at getting it going in a hurry.  This SuSE 10.1,
install, though gives me the following errors when I try to start the
device:

> ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:568:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to initialize slave
> ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:849:(snd_pcm_direct_initialize_slave) requested or auto-format is not available

My asound.conf looks like this:

> # Asound.conf START
> pcm.snoop10 {
>         type dsnoop
>         ipc_key 123
>         slave {
>                 pcm"hw:1"
>                 period_time 0
>                 period_size 1024
>                 buffer_size 4096
>                 rate 11025
>                 channels 10
>         }
>         slowptr true
>
> }
> pcm.channel1 {
>         type plug
>         slave.pcm snoop10
>         ttable.0.0 1
> }
> pcm.channel2 {
>         type plug
>         slave.pcm snoop10
>         ttable.0.1 1
> }     ....  down to channel 8

The alsa driver version is 1.0.11rc3, and the kernel version is
2.6.16.27-0.6

Can anyone suggest anything that I might check or change?  Is a
definition in my asound now incompatible with the current version of
drivers?

Thanks for any help.

* Re: dsnoop slave definition fails on startup
@ 2007-02-06 11:57 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2007-02-06 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S. Petty; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Sun, 04 Feb 2007 09:41:21 -0500,
S. Petty wrote:

> In the past I've used SuSE 9.x for my installations with a Delta 1010LT
> card, but the most recent install I opted for SuSE 10.1.  I'm starting
> to regret it!   I've never needed to install alsa by hand, the distro
> install has always taken care of it.
>
> I have the 1010LT broken out into 8 separate devices.  I have this exact
> configuration running on at least a dozen other machines, and have
> gotten quite good at getting it going in a hurry.  This SuSE 10.1,
> install, though gives me the following errors when I try to start the
> device:
>
> > ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:568:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to initialize slave
> > ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:849:(snd_pcm_direct_initialize_slave) requested or auto-format is not available
>
> My asound.conf looks like this:
>
> > # Asound.conf START
> > pcm.snoop10 {
> >         type dsnoop
> >         ipc_key 123
> >         slave {
> >                 pcm"hw:1"
> >                 period_time 0
> >                 period_size 1024
> >                 buffer_size 4096
> >                 rate 11025
> >                 channels 10

Add the following line in the slave block

		format S32_LE

Currently, the default format of direct plugins is S16, and most of
ice1712 boards support only 32bit format.

Takashi

* Re: dsnoop slave definition fails on startup
@ 2007-02-10  3:03   ` Lee Revell
From: Lee Revell @ 2007-02-10  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: S. Petty, alsa-devel

On 2/6/07, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
> Add the following line in the slave block
>
>                 format S32_LE
>
> Currently, the default format of direct plugins is S16, and most of
> ice1712 boards support only 32bit format.

Takashi-san,

This raises an interesting question - how can AC3 passthrough work on
these devices?  mplayer and other apps fail because they can't set
S16_LE.

Lee

* Re: dsnoop slave definition fails on startup
@ 2007-02-12 10:58     ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2007-02-12 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lee Revell; +Cc: S. Petty, alsa-devel

At Fri, 9 Feb 2007 22:03:14 -0500,
Lee Revell wrote:

> On 2/6/07, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
> > Add the following line in the slave block
> >
> >                 format S32_LE
> >
> > Currently, the default format of direct plugins is S16, and most of
> > ice1712 boards support only 32bit format.
>
> Takashi-san,
>
> This raises an interesting question - how can AC3 passthrough work on
> these devices?  mplayer and other apps fail because they can't set
> S16_LE.

It works simply by wrapping with plug (or linear) layer.
I thought mplayer already puts that...

I myself think it's incer to add a format conversion as default in the
iec958 PCM definition although other may think differently.

Takashi

* Re: dsnoop slave definition fails on startup
@ 2007-02-12 11:34       ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2007-02-12 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai, Lee Revell; +Cc: S. Petty, alsa-devel

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Lee Revell wrote:
> > On 2/6/07, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
> > > Add the following line in the slave block
> > >
> > >                 format S32_LE
> > >
> > > Currently, the default format of direct plugins is S16, and most of
> > > ice1712 boards support only 32bit format.
> >
> > Takashi-san,
> >
> > This raises an interesting question - how can AC3 passthrough work on
> > these devices?  mplayer and other apps fail because they can't set
> > S16_LE.
>
> It works simply by wrapping with plug (or linear) layer.
> I thought mplayer already puts that...

Only when it's playing floating point samples.  I'll change that.

> I myself think it's incer to add a format conversion as default in the
> iec958 PCM definition although other may think differently.

Not having such a conversion means that applications have to remember
that they might have to put a "plug:" in front when they want to do
things like AC-3 or 5.1 output.

Regards,
Clemens

* Re: dsnoop slave definition fails on startup
@ 2007-02-12 11:45         ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2007-02-12 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clemens Ladisch; +Cc: Lee Revell, alsa-devel, S. Petty

At Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:34:04 +0100,
Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > Takashi-san,
> > >
> > > This raises an interesting question - how can AC3 passthrough work on
> > > these devices?  mplayer and other apps fail because they can't set
> > > S16_LE.
> >
> > It works simply by wrapping with plug (or linear) layer.
> > I thought mplayer already puts that...
>
> Only when it's playing floating point samples.  I'll change that.

Hm, I thought it doesn't matter whether it's float or not, since only
upper 16bit is referred in 32bit frames.  (I remember AC3-passthru
worked well with my ice1712 boards.)

> > I myself think it's incer to add a format conversion as default in the
> > iec958 PCM definition although other may think differently.
>
> Not having such a conversion means that applications have to remember
> that they might have to put a "plug:" in front when they want to do
> things like AC-3 or 5.1 output.

Right.  IIRC, the couter argument against the defalut plug is that we
provide "iec958" PCM as a kind of raw device.  This means, OTOH, that
the apps get more burden.  (Also, one another reason is that there is
a known bug in alsa-lib that plug over plug (more exactly route over
router) doesn't work well...)

IMO, the design of alsa-lib subsystems are often too lowlevel.  It's
an interesting experiment, but a bad choice in the end in most cases.
At least, "easy-to-do" setups have to be provided at the same time
even if we offer primally lowlevel and raw interfaces.

Takashi