* Status of ti/ti-linux-5.10.y development
@ 2021-05-14  8:30 Luca Ceresoli
From: Luca Ceresoli @ 2021-05-14  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-omap

Hi,

I hope this is the proper place for this question. If it isn't: my
apologies, and I'd be glad to be redirected where appropriate.

I currently have a prototype board based on AM5728 that is mostly
working, using branch ti/ti-linux-4.19.y of the TI kernel [0].

Now I need some non-TI-specific kernel features that appeared in
mainline 5.10, so I tried to move to branch ti/ti-linux-5.10.y. But many
components that I am using on the 4.19 branch seem absent on the 5.10
branch, including VIDEO_TI_VIP, DRM_OMAP_WB and DRM_OMAP_CONNECTOR_HDMI.

BTW they are not present even in mainline Linux.

Are this drivers still absent and in progress of being added to
ti/ti-linux-5.10.y, or are they present in a different form that I have
been unable to find?

Assuming they still have to be added, is there an estimate timing for
their availability on the 5.10 branch?

[0] git://git.ti.com/ti-linux-kernel/ti-linux-kernel.git

--
Luca

* Re: Status of ti/ti-linux-5.10.y development
@ 2021-05-14 10:14 ` Grygorii Strashko
From: Grygorii Strashko @ 2021-05-14 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ceresoli, linux-omap, Bajjuri, Praneeth, Menon, Nishanth,
	Vutla, Lokesh

Hi

On 14/05/2021 11:30, Luca Ceresoli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope this is the proper place for this question. If it isn't: my
> apologies, and I'd be glad to be redirected where appropriate.
>
> I currently have a prototype board based on AM5728 that is mostly
> working, using branch ti/ti-linux-4.19.y of the TI kernel [0].
>
> Now I need some non-TI-specific kernel features that appeared in
> mainline 5.10, so I tried to move to branch ti/ti-linux-5.10.y. But many
> components that I am using on the 4.19 branch seem absent on the 5.10
> branch, including VIDEO_TI_VIP, DRM_OMAP_WB and DRM_OMAP_CONNECTOR_HDMI.
>
> BTW they are not present even in mainline Linux.
>
> Are this drivers still absent and in progress of being added to
> ti/ti-linux-5.10.y, or are they present in a different form that I have
> been unable to find?
>
> Assuming they still have to be added, is there an estimate timing for
> their availability on the 5.10 branch?
>
> [0] git://git.ti.com/ti-linux-kernel/ti-linux-kernel.git

TI 5.10 migration is still work in progress.

--
Best regards,
grygorii

* Re: Status of ti/ti-linux-5.10.y development
@ 2021-05-14 10:20   ` Luca Ceresoli
From: Luca Ceresoli @ 2021-05-14 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grygorii Strashko, linux-omap, Bajjuri, Praneeth, Menon,
	Nishanth, Vutla, Lokesh

Hi Grygorii,

On 14/05/21 12:14, Grygorii Strashko wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 14/05/2021 11:30, Luca Ceresoli wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I hope this is the proper place for this question. If it isn't: my
>> apologies, and I'd be glad to be redirected where appropriate.
>>
>> I currently have a prototype board based on AM5728 that is mostly
>> working, using branch ti/ti-linux-4.19.y of the TI kernel [0].
>>
>> Now I need some non-TI-specific kernel features that appeared in
>> mainline 5.10, so I tried to move to branch ti/ti-linux-5.10.y. But many
>> components that I am using on the 4.19 branch seem absent on the 5.10
>> branch, including VIDEO_TI_VIP, DRM_OMAP_WB and DRM_OMAP_CONNECTOR_HDMI.
>>
>> BTW they are not present even in mainline Linux.
>>
>> Are this drivers still absent and in progress of being added to
>> ti/ti-linux-5.10.y, or are they present in a different form that I have
>> been unable to find?
>>
>> Assuming they still have to be added, is there an estimate timing for
>> their availability on the 5.10 branch?
>>
>> [0] git://git.ti.com/ti-linux-kernel/ti-linux-kernel.git
>>

> TI 5.10 migration is still work in progress.

Thanks for the feedback.

Any estimate of how long this is expected to take?

Is there any public list of drivers to be added and their status?

--

@ 2021-05-14 15:38     ` Nishanth Menon
From: Nishanth Menon @ 2021-05-14 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ceresoli
  Cc: Grygorii Strashko, linux-omap, Bajjuri, Praneeth, Vutla, Lokesh

Luca,
On 12:20-20210514, Luca Ceresoli wrote:
> Hi Grygorii,
>
> On 14/05/21 12:14, Grygorii Strashko wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On 14/05/2021 11:30, Luca Ceresoli wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I hope this is the proper place for this question. If it isn't: my
> >> apologies, and I'd be glad to be redirected where appropriate.
> >>
> >> I currently have a prototype board based on AM5728 that is mostly
> >> working, using branch ti/ti-linux-4.19.y of the TI kernel [0].
> >>
> >> Now I need some non-TI-specific kernel features that appeared in
> >> mainline 5.10, so I tried to move to branch ti/ti-linux-5.10.y. But many
> >> components that I am using on the 4.19 branch seem absent on the 5.10
> >> branch, including VIDEO_TI_VIP, DRM_OMAP_WB and DRM_OMAP_CONNECTOR_HDMI.
> >>
> >> BTW they are not present even in mainline Linux.
> >>
> >> Are this drivers still absent and in progress of being added to
> >> ti/ti-linux-5.10.y, or are they present in a different form that I have
> >> been unable to find?
> >>
> >> Assuming they still have to be added, is there an estimate timing for
> >> their availability on the 5.10 branch?
> >>
> >> [0] git://git.ti.com/ti-linux-kernel/ti-linux-kernel.git
> >>

> > TI 5.10 migration is still work in progress.
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Any estimate of how long this is expected to take?

Nothing we will be able to share in a public forum :(

> Is there any public list of drivers to be added and their status?

In public, No - Note: even though the git repo is public, and
internally we attempt to follow the same upstream rules, at the end,
it is still a vendor kernel :(. But, rest assure that internally, we
know precisely where we are and we are tracking towards completion.

While linux-omap is a public list, it might be better to answer
vendor kernel questions in the context of e2e.ti.com (The TI forums
- there are folks closely monitoring those and actively engaging
to help customers out and will be better positioned to answer your
specific queries). Do feel free to reach out to me on irc freenode.net
#linux-omap etc if you'd need anything specific to help with.

We usually prefer linux-omap mailing list to stick with upstream
discussions, one off vendor kernel discussions do take place from time
to time, however, most of our TI support folks are better equipped to
answer questions on TI forums.

The above "officialdom statement" said, we do actively encourage our
community (which we include ourselves and TI customers as well) to
participate in making upstream kernel complete and point out anything
we may have overlooked (yep, we are human) so that overall what vendor
kernel does or does'nt do should be inconsequential in the longer term
for the community and products derived from community.

Nishanth Menon
Key (0xDDB5849D1736249D) / Fingerprint: F8A2 8693 54EB 8232 17A3  1A34 DDB5 849D 1736 249D

* Re: Status of ti/ti-linux-5.10.y development
@ 2021-05-15 13:47 ` Andreas Kemnade
From: Andreas Kemnade @ 2021-05-15 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ceresoli; +Cc: linux-omap

Hi,

On Fri, 14 May 2021 10:30:50 +0200
Luca Ceresoli <luca@lucaceresoli.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hope this is the proper place for this question. If it isn't: my
> apologies, and I'd be glad to be redirected where appropriate.
>
> I currently have a prototype board based on AM5728 that is mostly
> working, using branch ti/ti-linux-4.19.y of the TI kernel [0].
>
> Now I need some non-TI-specific kernel features that appeared in
> mainline 5.10, so I tried to move to branch ti/ti-linux-5.10.y. But many
> components that I am using on the 4.19 branch seem absent on the 5.10
> branch, including VIDEO_TI_VIP, DRM_OMAP_WB and DRM_OMAP_CONNECTOR_HDMI.

Wasn't the DRM_OMAP_CONNECTOR_HDMI replaced with something generic when
also omapdrm started to use the generic panel support, was it? So HDMI
connectors should work with mainline.

Regards,
Andreas

* Re: Status of ti/ti-linux-5.10.y development
@ 2021-05-17  8:39       ` Luca Ceresoli
From: Luca Ceresoli @ 2021-05-17  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nishanth Menon
  Cc: Grygorii Strashko, linux-omap, Bajjuri, Praneeth, Vutla, Lokesh

Hi Nishanth,

On 14/05/21 17:38, Nishanth Menon wrote:
> Luca,
> On 12:20-20210514, Luca Ceresoli wrote:
>> Hi Grygorii,
>>
>> On 14/05/21 12:14, Grygorii Strashko wrote:
>>> Hi

>>> TI 5.10 migration is still work in progress.
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback.
>>
>> Any estimate of how long this is expected to take?
>
> Nothing we will be able to share in a public forum :(
>

>> Is there any public list of drivers to be added and their status?
>
> In public, No - Note: even though the git repo is public, and
> internally we attempt to follow the same upstream rules, at the end,
> it is still a vendor kernel :(. But, rest assure that internally, we
> know precisely where we are and we are tracking towards completion.
>
> While linux-omap is a public list, it might be better to answer
> vendor kernel questions in the context of e2e.ti.com (The TI forums
> - there are folks closely monitoring those and actively engaging
> to help customers out and will be better positioned to answer your
> specific queries). Do feel free to reach out to me on irc freenode.net
> #linux-omap etc if you'd need anything specific to help with.
>
> We usually prefer linux-omap mailing list to stick with upstream
> discussions, one off vendor kernel discussions do take place from time
> to time, however, most of our TI support folks are better equipped to
> answer questions on TI forums.
>

> The above "officialdom statement" said, we do actively encourage our
> community (which we include ourselves and TI customers as well) to
> participate in making upstream kernel complete and point out anything
> we may have overlooked (yep, we are human) so that overall what vendor
> kernel does or does'nt do should be inconsequential in the longer term
> for the community and products derived from community.

Thanks for taking time to provide extra explanations! I'll  be using the
channels you suggested for more specific questions.

IIRC many years ago there used to be a web page for the OMAP 3530 (on
some TI wiki?) listing SoC devices and their driver status, with a green
"OK" for implemented drivers, yellow for work in progress or similar. It
was very useful to know from the beginning whether a driver was supposed
to exist and work on a given branch, to avoid grepping and searching to
even know whether it exists. It would be great to have something like
that these days. My 2c...

--

@ 2021-05-17  8:43   ` Luca Ceresoli
From: Luca Ceresoli @ 2021-05-17  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Kemnade; +Cc: linux-omap

Hi Andreas,

On 15/05/21 15:47, Andreas Kemnade wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 14 May 2021 10:30:50 +0200
> Luca Ceresoli <luca@lucaceresoli.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I hope this is the proper place for this question. If it isn't: my
>> apologies, and I'd be glad to be redirected where appropriate.
>>
>> I currently have a prototype board based on AM5728 that is mostly
>> working, using branch ti/ti-linux-4.19.y of the TI kernel [0].
>>
>> Now I need some non-TI-specific kernel features that appeared in
>> mainline 5.10, so I tried to move to branch ti/ti-linux-5.10.y. But many
>> components that I am using on the 4.19 branch seem absent on the 5.10
>> branch, including VIDEO_TI_VIP, DRM_OMAP_WB and DRM_OMAP_CONNECTOR_HDMI.
>>
> Wasn't the DRM_OMAP_CONNECTOR_HDMI replaced with something generic when
> also omapdrm started to use the generic panel support, was it? So HDMI
> connectors should work with mainline.

Thanks for the heads up.

Actually I still haven't tackled HDMI on ti-linux-5.10.y, I only found
it by comparing the .config from the working 4.19 branch and from 5.10
and noticed the config option has disappeared.

My current problem is that omapdrm does not populate /dev/fb0 (perhaps
due to a similar reason) and the VIP driver apparently just not present
on the 5.10.y branch.

@ 2021-05-18  5:12     ` Tony Lindgren
From: Tony Lindgren @ 2021-05-18  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ceresoli; +Cc: Andreas Kemnade, linux-omap

* Luca Ceresoli <luca@lucaceresoli.net> [210517 08:43]:
> Actually I still haven't tackled HDMI on ti-linux-5.10.y, I only found
> it by comparing the .config from the working 4.19 branch and from 5.10
> and noticed the config option has disappeared.
>
> My current problem is that omapdrm does not populate /dev/fb0 (perhaps
> due to a similar reason) and the VIP driver apparently just not present
> on the 5.10.y branch.

Well HDMI should be working, at least it was when I last tested with
omap2plus_defconfig. Maybe you're missing CONFIG_FB=y ?

No idea about VIP driver though.

Regaqrds,

Tony

* Re: Status of ti/ti-linux-5.10.y development
@ 2021-05-18 21:29       ` Luca Ceresoli
From: Luca Ceresoli @ 2021-05-18 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren; +Cc: Andreas Kemnade, linux-omap

Hi Tony,

On 18/05/21 07:12, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> * Luca Ceresoli <luca@lucaceresoli.net> [210517 08:43]:
>> Actually I still haven't tackled HDMI on ti-linux-5.10.y, I only found
>> it by comparing the .config from the working 4.19 branch and from 5.10
>> and noticed the config option has disappeared.
>>
>> My current problem is that omapdrm does not populate /dev/fb0 (perhaps
>> due to a similar reason) and the VIP driver apparently just not present
>> on the 5.10.y branch.
>
> Well HDMI should be working, at least it was when I last tested with
> omap2plus_defconfig. Maybe you're missing CONFIG_FB=y ?

Thanks for the hints!

CONFIG_FB is y, so it must be something else. Maybe I have to update my
DT? I'll check that when I resume working on the 5.10 branch.

--
Luca