* [Buildroot] pc defconfig image does not boot
@ 2020-07-27  5:21 David Park
From: David Park @ 2020-07-27  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

I created a PC disk.img from the pc_x86_64_efi_defconfig config file
following exactly the instructions outlined in board/pc/readme.txt.

make pc_x86_64_efi_defconfig

Running this disk.img in qemu boots fine with no issues, but when I write
the image to a pendrive using the listed commands:

dd if=output/images/disk.img of=/dev/sdc; sync

And then insert it into my PC, it doesn't boot all the way. I only see the
GRUB menu with the Buildroot image listed, but when GRUB tries to run this
image, I only see "Booting Buildroot", and then nothing else.

Am I missing some steps here that aren't in the readme?

--
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] pc defconfig image does not boot
@ 2020-07-27  6:09 ` Tudor Holton
From: Tudor Holton @ 2020-07-27  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi David,

Did you get any errors in your build?  Frequently I find the most common
reason for this is that the contents of the packages doesn't fit into
the image size.  It defaults to 120M which is too small for some larger
packages.

You can try increasing your image size in Filesystem Images -> Exact
Size.

Otherwise, check your build logs and see if there's any complaints when
building the image, and always do a complete make clean before your make
in case it's cruft left over from the previous build.

If you come across build issues after a make clean, drop them and your
config back to the mailing list and we can have a look.

Cheers,
Tudor.

@ 2020-07-27  8:23 ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2020-07-27  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 > Hi,
 > I created a PC disk.img from the pc_x86_64_efi_defconfig config file
 > following exactly the instructions outlined in board/pc/readme.txt.

 > make pc_x86_64_efi_defconfig

 > Running this disk.img in qemu boots fine with no issues, but when I write
 > the image to a pendrive using the listed commands:

 > dd if=output/images/disk.img of=/dev/sdc; sync

 > And then insert it into my PC, it doesn't boot all the way. I only see the
 > GRUB menu with the Buildroot image listed, but when GRUB tries to run this
 > image, I only see "Booting Buildroot", and then nothing else.

If it boots with qemu, then the image is probably fine.

What are the specs of the PC that you are trying to boot it on?

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] pc defconfig image does not boot
@ 2020-07-27 20:10   ` David Park
From: David Park @ 2020-07-27 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

I do not see any build errors whatsoever. I tried increasing the image size
to 1024m but still the same issue.

My machine is a Core i7-4770 with 8GB of RAM. I also tried another machine
even more capable but seeing the same result.

--

@ 2020-07-27 23:51     ` Tudor Holton
From: Tudor Holton @ 2020-07-27 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Yes, my apologies.  I missed a detail.  Peter is right, we need to know
what your target machine is like.

e.g. My x86_64 boards all have a requirement to authorise the boot EFI.
You have to go into the BIOS and enable the buildroot option in the boot
list or it will ignore it.

If you have other things like Secure Boot on then that won't work
either.

Cheers,
Tudor.