* Re: userspace notification from module
@ 2010-01-02 13:29 Bartłomiej Zimoń
From: Bartłomiej Zimoń @ 2010-01-02 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Dnia 2 stycznia 2010 13:36 	Daniel Borkmann <llug.dan@googlemail.com> napisał(a):

> Hi Bartłomiej,
>
> Bartłomiej Zimoń wrote:
> > Use inotify from userspace could be interesting for such data,
> > but looks like sysfs/procfs doesn't send signal about data changed in file or maybe i'm wrong?
> >
> > If sysfs/procfs is wrong for that so must create device file, but here secound problem
> > how to notify that file/buffer has new data?
>
> Actually, the file content of a procfs file is volatile and generated on
> the fly, just have a look at some device drivers or at the API.

As I fought. Reading now sources of some char drivers.

> Did you have a look at the netlink protocol for communication from
> kernel to userspace?

Ok i will :)

I will explain more what i'm going to do.
The idea is simple. Kernel before suspend/resume sends notification to
registered kernel objects. So i have written small module to register
there and want now pass these data to /dev/file. It is 1byte so not a big deal.

I'm searching now for notification about new byte in buffer, as it is almost
clear for async: http://www.xml.com/ldd/chapter/book/ch05.html#t4
but for sync still haven't find.

It could be interesting for NetworkManager to hook on such event.

Looks like my post arrives 2nd time in lkml.

Thx for reply.

Best Regards.
Bartłomiej Zimoń
PLD Linux, Kadu Team

* Re: [suspend/resume] Re: userspace notification from module
@ 2010-01-02 22:34 Bartłomiej Zimoń
From: Bartłomiej Zimoń @ 2010-01-02 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Dnia 2 stycznia 2010 22:01 "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@sisk.pl> napisał(a):

> On Saturday 02 January 2010, Bartłomiej Zimoń wrote:
> > Dnia 2 stycznia 2010 16:56 	Daniel Borkmann <danborkmann@googlemail.com> napisał(a):
> > > Hi Andy,

> > > This is, of course, another possible solution that is more "cleaner"
> > > than the one with the signals.
> > > Then, your userspace program would have another thread polling for the
> > > device node. Question is which timeout would be appropriate to be "CPU
> > > friendly" and to keep notification latency short?
> > >

> > Just need as fast as possible solution and on the other hand acceptable for kernel sources.
> > Usually programs needs just to disconnect something or set one flag.
> > Even if program will have no time for this it could be enough just to send this precious info.
>
> Perhaps I don't understand correctly what you're trying to achieve, but at the
> moment suspend is always started from user space, this way or another, and on
> the majority (all?) of the modern distros pm-utils is involved in that.
> So, why don't you provide a pm-utils hook for your process (like, for example,
> NetworkManager)?

Thanks for Your answare.
Some points of my idea:
- don't think everyone want to use pm-utils (didn't say it is bad)
- this code is standard for all implementation of suspend/hibernate/resume
- it is small
- it have less overhead, dont need dbus and all rest services.
- could be even used partialy by pm-utils
- it is perfect just to notify about event

Some opposits:
- program will have less time to do what it want than with pm-utils
- all rest

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

@ 2010-01-03  8:31 Bartłomiej Zimoń
From: Bartłomiej Zimoń @ 2010-01-03  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Dnia 3 stycznia 2010 0:29 "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@sisk.pl> napisał(a):
> > Thanks for Your answare.
> > Some points of my idea:
> > - don't think everyone want to use pm-utils (didn't say it is bad)
>
> That certainly is true, but I think these people won't have a problem setting
> up their suspend scripts to trigger the notification anyway. :-)

But it means almoust always create dbus interface and send message by script.
For what? only to know if system going resume or suspend?

> Point is, suspend hooks are used anyway by almost everyone (due to graphics,
> networking, faulty drivers), so I think you could just use this mechanism, be it
> pm-utils or something else.
>
> To put it in a different way, you apparently want the kernel to notify the user
> space of an event originating from the user space and my question is why not
> to set up the user space to generate the notification without relying on the
> kernel to do that.

Because now kernel know better what is going on.

> > - this code is standard for all implementation of suspend/hibernate/resume
>
> I guess you mean the existing kernel-side suspend/hibernate code.
>
> Sure, it is, but your module is going to export the kernel's internal interface
> outside the kernel, turning it into a real API and that is a _big_ _deal_.  The
> reason why it is a big deal is that while we often change the kernel's internal
> interfaces, we don't change APIs.  Once created, an API (I mean a real
> userland-kernel interface) is very difficult to change, because that most often
> leads to regressions which are quite nasty from the user's point of view.
>
> So, basically, you want us to declare that the kernel's internal
> suspend/hibernate notification mechanism won't change in the future, which is
> not something I'm going to do at this point.  Moreover, it hasn't been designed
> as an API and I don't think it's really suitable for this purpose.

Abosulutly no!
It's so primitive module and even with different api it could be easy to adept.
Next if it can't be in kernel source tree for someone could be very usefull.

This module could only sends bool/ioctl - system resumed.

> At least, that requires some more discussion, so please tell us why you need
> the kernel to notify the user space about suspend/hibernation.  IOW, what's the
> final purpose of this?  [Added some CCs.]

Yes, it is only first step.
Have created different point of view, not all linux boxes are desktops/laptops.
What about embedeed solutions?
Why app must implement all other to know about resume/suspend?
Why not open file and know this easily?

> > - it is small
> > - it have less overhead, dont need dbus and all rest services.
>
> That could have been a good argument if those services had not been used
> already, but that's not the case.

Yes it is.
For every other case it was pm-utils created.

> > - could be even used partialy by pm-utils
> > - it is perfect just to notify about event
>
> OK, but why exactly do _you_ need that to happen?
>
> There's one important drawback of making the kernel generate the notification.
> Namely, even if your userspace task is notified by the kernel of a PM event,
> that doesn't mean it'll have the time to act upon that, because the kernel will
> attempt to freeze it right after the notification has been sent.  This means
> you'd need a way to make the kernel wait for your user space process to finish
> it's job before continuing the suspend/hibernate process.  Otherwise it's not
> going to be very useful.

First of all i want to start discussion about this topic and looks like started :)

So what was in my mind? There are lots of small devices today with linux.
Lots of them has got unstandardized suspend/resume detection.
It could be too much info exposed from kernel by this module/propose i understand
for program info about pm_post_resume event could be anought.

We have now 3types of suspend implementation and 1 kernel API inside.
App typicaly need just 2-3 event types - suspending, resumming, idle.
I dont want to slow down kernel suspend, block or something, just perform
some actions in apps - typicaly try to reconnect.
It could be new kernel standard to easy adept some actions.

Why not pm-utils connect to such module and gather data?
Then It could work as hal service.
But hook on kernel like /sbin/init but for suspend and resume, looks like other solution.
IOW sending event to kernel to perform action and launch userspace once
more just before pm-event chain ... check return_val, sounds like other
solution/ other kind of module.

What about this discusion:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/devkit-devel/2009-December/000617.html

I will perform some tests to know what amount of time is usualy needed to disconnect
nicely client or something.

Next what about fuse filesystems, there are some network based.

Best regards.
Bartłomiej Zimoń
PLD Linux, Kadu Team, FreeRunner user
http://kadu-im.blogspot.com/

* Re: [suspend/resume] Re: userspace notification from module
@ 2010-01-03 11:06 Bartłomiej Zimoń
From: Bartłomiej Zimoń @ 2010-01-03 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Dnia 3 stycznia 2010 11:06 	Daniel Borkmann <danborkmann@googlemail.com> napisał(a):
> Daniel Borkmann wrote:
> > Bartłomiej Zimoń wrote:
> >> What about this discusion:
> >> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/devkit-devel/2009-December/000617.html
> >>
> >> I will perform some tests to know what amount of time is usualy needed to disconnect
> >> nicely client or something.
> >
> > Actually I think this is what signals are there for and bringing this
> > information via signals would have least overhead, problem is that this
> > is not POSIX compliant, but may be you could have a try at this?!
>
> I'm not quite sure how this is implemented within the kernel, but if you
> have lots of processes doing their suspend routines, I think it is not
> guaranteed that all of this finishes before doing the suspend, so you
> will have some unknown states, processes could stuck at (and later [at
> some unintended point of time] resume on).
> Or, on the other hand you will have to block the kernel notification
> chain until all the procs have signaled that they're done doing their
> jobs. Regarding this, the kernel suspend would depend on the correctness
> / termination of userspace routines which is a _very_ bad thing.
> You will have to introducte some timeouts... see where this is going? I
> think a file interface might be too simple... just some thoughts about this.

mhm, why not to create kernel based pm event messaging for processes?
How it is implemented on other platforms?
Because on MacOsX looks like program registers callback for such event.

I dont know if every pm_notifier blocks suspend until return from callback.

If we cant do it simple we can do it better.
Rafael what do You think about it?

Looks like my email box does not like CC: and others ;/

@ 2010-01-03 23:17 Bartłomiej Zimoń
From: Bartłomiej Zimoń @ 2010-01-03 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: linux-pm

Dnia 3 stycznia 2010 22:29 "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@sisk.pl> napisał(a):
> > > To put it in a different way, you apparently want the kernel to notify the user
> > > space of an event originating from the user space and my question is why not
> > > to set up the user space to generate the notification without relying on the
> > > kernel to do that.
> >
> > Because now kernel know better what is going on.
>
> That's because it's just been told by the user space about that.
>
> Basically, you want something like this to happen:
>
> process A ->(suspend) kernel
> kernel ->(suspending) process B

Yes.

> where the kernel won't wait for process B to do whatever it has to do before
> suspending.  In my opinion it'd be better to do something like this
>
> process A ->(suspending) process B
> process B ->(ack) process A
> process A ->(suspend) kernel

Please forget for a moment about pm-utils.

I was thinking about sf like this:
pm-notify is registered in pm_notifier_chain or called before pm_notifiers_chain
pm-notify -> (suspending) all registerd processes
some processes ->(ack) pm-notify
to consider - after timeout ( 1s. could be ok) pm-notify will send NOTIFY_OK, kernel will cont. suspending

It could be even UIO module but there are no pm events reachable there?

I cant understand why kernel cant be simple power manager.

Consider this: add one more signal (SIGPREFREEZ, SIGPOSTFREEZ) and send this before/after suspend to processes.
It could be simplest way and we have notified processes.

If pm-notify idea is not clean, we must extend pm-utils or write something new
(with backends dbus, ipc, scripts, ...)
But You see? We still have no information from kernel about events
(especialy resume) or maybe i dont see this ;/

Thanks for your understanding Rafael :)

From: Bartłomiej Zimoń @ 2010-01-03 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: linux-pm

Dnia 3 stycznia 2010 22:29 "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@sisk.pl> napisał(a):
> > > To put it in a different way, you apparently want the kernel to notify the user
> > > space of an event originating from the user space and my question is why not
> > > to set up the user space to generate the notification without relying on the
> > > kernel to do that.
> >
> > Because now kernel know better what is going on.
>
> That's because it's just been told by the user space about that.
>
> Basically, you want something like this to happen:
>
> process A ->(suspend) kernel
> kernel ->(suspending) process B

Yes.

> where the kernel won't wait for process B to do whatever it has to do before
> suspending.  In my opinion it'd be better to do something like this
>
> process A ->(suspending) process B
> process B ->(ack) process A
> process A ->(suspend) kernel

Please forget for a moment about pm-utils.

I was thinking about sf like this:
pm-notify is registered in pm_notifier_chain or called before pm_notifiers_chain
pm-notify -> (suspending) all registerd processes
some processes ->(ack) pm-notify
to consider - after timeout ( 1s. could be ok) pm-notify will send NOTIFY_OK, kernel will cont. suspending

It could be even UIO module but there are no pm events reachable there?

I cant understand why kernel cant be simple power manager.

Consider this: add one more signal (SIGPREFREEZ, SIGPOSTFREEZ) and send this before/after suspend to processes.
It could be simplest way and we have notified processes.

If pm-notify idea is not clean, we must extend pm-utils or write something new
(with backends dbus, ipc, scripts, ...)
But You see? We still have no information from kernel about events
(especialy resume) or maybe i dont see this ;/

Thanks for your understanding Rafael :)

Best regards.
Bartłomiej Zimoń
PLD Linux, Kadu Team, FreeRunner user
http://kadu-im.blogspot.com/

* Re: [linux-pm] [suspend/resume] Re: userspace notification  from module
@ 2010-01-06  1:05 Bartłomiej Zimoń
From: Bartłomiej Zimoń @ 2010-01-06  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: rjw, aeriksson, stefan.seyfried, linux-pm, danborkmann, awalls

Dnia 6 stycznia 2010 0:05 	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@sisk.pl> napisał(a):
> Well, I think you have some specific issue with pm-utils, but you're not
> telling us what it is.  So, why exactly is pm-utils not suitable for your
> needs?

Rafael to be honest it's more dbus specific. I'm talking about
dbus as it is standard for system<->apps communication.

But please understand if we'll create kernel device with simple pm notification
It could be hooked by udev and next ... by DeviceKit-power/upower and after that
we have real standard. But to have this we must export "power" device - something
like my proof-of-concept module. This could be realy good start.

From: Bartłomiej Zimoń @ 2010-01-06  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: awalls, aeriksson, linux-pm, danborkmann, stefan.seyfried