* [Xenomai] [RFC] RTnet, Analogy and the elephant in the room
@ 2017-11-21 17:11 Philippe Gerum
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2017-11-21 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xenomai

As the GIT commit history shows, there has been no sustained effort in
maintaining several of the Xenomai I/O frameworks for several months
(e.g. RTnet, analogy), even years in some cases, despite obvious bugs
are still haunting the code base according to the mailing list. The
situation has reached a point where I see no alternative to dropping
them if the situation does not improve, because there is absolutely no
point in this project shipping bit rot software that won't ever be fixed.

Unfortunately, this is only the tip of the iceberg. Let's face it, since
Gilles passed away last year, I have not been scaling to the Xenomai
maintenance, development and documentation tasks, with the requirement
of running my business in parallel.

The solution to this serious problem is fitting the project to the
available resources by narrowing its goal, or conversely, by growing the
pool of contributors.

In addition, we can rework the most tricky part of the implementation to
make it simpler to maintain, better documented, drastically lowering the
barrier on entry for new contributors, which is what I've been working
on for a year with the 4th generation of the interrupt pipeline.
Progress on this front has been significant already, but once again
limited by the time I have been able to devote to this development so far.

For the past 16 years, this project has lived on various types of
contributions from only a few committed people and companies. At this
chance, let's mention that people who have been deploying Xenomai in
industrial applications owe a lot to Wolfgang Denk from Denx
Engineering, Siemens's Jan Kiszka and Jorge Ramirez, who have supported
the project in crucial ways directly or indirectly over the years, and
still do.

Xenomai as a dual kernel technology showcase has been quietly delivering
on the promise of real-time Linux for more than a decade now, with
marketing tools limited to showing decent code quality, good and
reliable performance figures. As a result, to my current knowledge,
Xenomai is present in a broad range of applications and systems:
magnetic resonance scanners, 2D/3D printers, navigation & positioning,
communication equipment, autonomous vehicles, control & automation
systems in various plants.

On the sad side of the story, this project has virtually become a
one-man show the day Gilles - my long-time friend and hacking soul mate
- left us. That show is too big for me to run it alone, which entails
maintaining:

- the interrupt pipeline for 7 CPU architectures
- the Cobalt co-kernel
- 4 APIs, plus the "copperplate" mediating layer
- several real-time I/O frameworks, including CAN, RTnet, Analogy, SPI, GPIO
- the documentation (which is currently unfriendly to newcomers, and
stalled two years ago or so)
- the website
- the testing and release processes

So, let's talk about the elephant in the room: the current situation of
the Xenomai project is not viable in the long run. I can only encourage
people who feel concerned about it to discuss openly the practical steps
to best address this challenge.

Philippe.

* Re: [Xenomai] [RFC] RTnet, Analogy and the elephant in the room
@ 2017-11-22 10:06 Norbert Lange
From: Norbert Lange @ 2017-11-22 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xenomai

Hi,

not really happy to hear that, but this was already my impression.
There is alot of knowledge of kernel, hardware and bootloader
knowledge necessary to be able to maintain the ipipe patch, as
newcomer to most of these I am just helpless. Unless someone is
dedicated to that,
there is not chance to keep up.

What you could do is to automate as much as possible, saving some of
the regular grinding work.
The way realtime is used with minimal configurations, FTB errors will
show up late,
and changes in kernel APIs are only carried over in actively used drivers.

ie.
-   automated builds with several kernel configs
-   potential some tests under qemu with the above.

Buildroot does something similar, and this is very low maintenance
cost once its setup,
could automatically report issues or non-working config-switches.
Nowadays you can let providers like Gitlab take care of keeping the
servers running,
as I understand it you have no limits to build-time unless the project
is private.
You get some good issue tracking on top of it, patches can be
automatically checked in form of merge-requests.
(In the unlikely case they go bust or get unfriendly, you can still
tun an older Gitlab version on your own server)

I really don`t see the advantage in separating the subprojects,
its already complicated enough to piece everything together,
and with automated builds you could atleast catch build-errors or fails-to-boot.
I take unmaintained, but buildable code in-tree over unmaintained code
in a separate project everyday.

Publicity

Dont know how to takle this, but its very easy to get a full IDE and
start programming some embedded CPUs.
Commercial OSes have a huge advantage there, cause it doesnt take much
to get example code running (youre only going to hit walls as your
problems get bigger than their ecosystem). First impressions count,
and being able to debug through code gets you firsthand knowledge
faster than any other approach.

In that respect some known-to-work hardware with known-to-work
dual-kernel with a pre-setup dev environment would go a long way to
ease the first steps and might gather some new interested users.
Some cheap, high-volume, jtag-debugable SBC would do.

Otherwise theres some architecture-, bios- and ever changing
kernel-magic involved just to get a plain system running.

[parent not found: <mailman.47.1511367834.4377.xenomai@xenomai.org>]