* Documentation to install an ESDK out of date?
@ 2021-06-15 16:14 Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2021-06-15 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm following the documentation to install an ESDK:
https://docs.yoctoproject.org/sdk-manual/extensible.html#installing-the-extensible-sdk

Several issues though:

  * The documentation doesn't say where to download ESDKs from, though I
    guess it should be
    https://www.yoctoproject.org/software-overview/downloads/
  * From this URL, I downloaded and ran
    http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/yocto/yocto-3.3.1/buildtools/x86_64-buildtools-nativesdk-standalone-3.3.1.sh.
    However, I didn't find the "devtool" or "run_qemu" scripts than the
    documentation mentions.
  * Why don't we release ESDKs for arm or arm64 and other architectures?

Am I right to suspect that this part of the documentation is out of date?

Thanks in advance,

Michael.

--
Michael Opdenacker, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* Re: [docs] Documentation to install an ESDK out of date?
@ 2021-06-15 21:47 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2021-06-15 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 2021-06-15 at 18:14 +0200, Michael Opdenacker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm following the documentation to install an ESDK:
> https://docs.yoctoproject.org/sdk-manual/extensible.html#installing-the-extensible-sdk
>
> Several issues though:
>
>   * The documentation doesn't say where to download ESDKs from, though I
>     guess it should be
>     https://www.yoctoproject.org/software-overview/downloads/

Yes.

>   * From this URL, I downloaded and ran
>     http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/yocto/yocto-3.3.1/buildtools/x86_64-buildtools-nativesdk-standalone-3.3.1.sh.

That is a buildtools tarball, not an eSDK.

>     However, I didn't find the "devtool" or "run_qemu" scripts than the
>     documentation mentions.

An example would be:

http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/yocto/yocto-3.3.1/toolchain/x86_64/poky-glibc-x86_64-core-image-minimal-core2-64-qemux86-64-toolchain-ext-3.3.1.sh

Which is an core-image-sato eSDK that runs on x86_64. There are other images
and target MACHINEs.

>   * Why don't we release ESDKs for arm or arm64 and other architectures?

eSDK can only be built on the architecture it is intended to run on. We'd therefore
have to build an aarch64 eSDK on aarch64 hardware. We do now have that but I suspect
nobody has considered this before now.

> Am I right to suspect that this part of the documentation is out of date?

Sounds like it could at least do with some work!

Cheers,

Richard