* i40e mbuf->rss indication
@ 2018-03-21 18:47 Hanoch Haim (hhaim)
From: Hanoch Haim (hhaim) @ 2018-03-21 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: Hanoch Haim (hhaim)

Hi All,
DPDK:17.11
When i40e is configured with RSS enabled and hash.type=toeplitz

m->hash.rss = some weird number
((m->ol_flags&PKT_RX_RSS_HASH) == PKT_RX_RSS_HASH

The hash value is correct and match the MS Toeplitz standard.

Is this expected?

The above works fine with ixgbe/mlx5

Thanks,
Hanoh

* Re: i40e mbuf->rss indication
@ 2018-03-22 11:34 ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2018-03-22 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hanoch Haim (hhaim); +Cc: dev

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 06:47:22PM +0000, Hanoch Haim (hhaim) wrote:
> Hi All,
> DPDK:17.11
> When i40e is configured with RSS enabled and hash.type=toeplitz
>
> m->hash.rss = some weird number
> ((m->ol_flags&PKT_RX_RSS_HASH) == PKT_RX_RSS_HASH
>
> The hash value is correct and match the MS Toeplitz standard.
>
> Is this expected?

I'm sorry, but I don't quite follow the question, or the problem. Are you
meaning to say that the hash value is incorrect, or that the flag is not
being set or something else?

/Bruce

> The above works fine with ixgbe/mlx5
>
> Thanks,
> Hanoh

* Re: i40e mbuf->rss indication
@ 2018-03-22 11:46   ` Hanoch Haim (hhaim)
From: Hanoch Haim (hhaim) @ 2018-03-22 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

Driver: i40e

DPDK : 17.11

Configuration :

1)     RSS configuration
       rxmode.mq_mode = ETH_MQ_RX_RSS;
       rss->rss_hf = ETH_RSS_UDP | ETH_RSS_TCP;
       rss->rss_key = Microsoft key
       rss->rss_key_len = 52

       *configure RETA to some rx-queues

2)        Change hash to TOEPLITZ (only for i40e)

          struct rte_eth_hash_filter_info info = {};
          info.info_type = RTE_ETH_HASH_FILTER_GLOBAL_CONFIG;
          info.info.global_conf.hash_func = RTE_ETH_HASH_FUNCTION_TOEPLITZ;
          rte_eth_dev_filter_ctrl(m_repid,
                                  RTE_ETH_FILTER_HASH,
                                  RTE_ETH_FILTER_SET, &info);

3) Configure some flow-director rules

4) TCP/UDP packets are received to the *right* core (based on a SW Toeplitz calculation +reta table) however
   The reported rss value is *wrong* in the mbuf
  (m->hash.rss == *wrong value*)
  ((m->ol_flags&PKT_RX_RSS_HASH) == PKT_RX_RSS_HASH

5) The above works fine for mlx5 and ixgbe

6) I suspect the hash is something else, maybe flow-director id or xor hash ..

Wanted to know if this is a known issue. I can provide a simple way to reproduce it using TRex

Thanks,
Hanoh

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 06:47:22PM +0000, Hanoch Haim (hhaim) wrote:
> Hi All,
> DPDK:17.11
> When i40e is configured with RSS enabled and hash.type=toeplitz
>
> m->hash.rss = some weird number
> ((m->ol_flags&PKT_RX_RSS_HASH) == PKT_RX_RSS_HASH
>
> The hash value is correct and match the MS Toeplitz standard.
>
> Is this expected?

I'm sorry, but I don't quite follow the question, or the problem. Are you meaning to say that the hash value is incorrect, or that the flag is not being set or something else?

/Bruce

> The above works fine with ixgbe/mlx5
>
> Thanks,
> Hanoh

* Re: i40e mbuf->rss indication
@ 2018-03-22 12:18     ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2018-03-22 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hanoch Haim (hhaim), Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

On 3/22/2018 11:46 AM, Hanoch Haim (hhaim) wrote:
> Driver: i40e
>
> DPDK : 17.11
>
> Configuration :
>
> 1)     RSS configuration
>        rxmode.mq_mode = ETH_MQ_RX_RSS;
>        rss->rss_hf = ETH_RSS_UDP | ETH_RSS_TCP;
>        rss->rss_key = Microsoft key
>        rss->rss_key_len = 52
>
>        *configure RETA to some rx-queues
>
> 2)        Change hash to TOEPLITZ (only for i40e)
>
>           struct rte_eth_hash_filter_info info = {};
>           info.info_type = RTE_ETH_HASH_FILTER_GLOBAL_CONFIG;
>           info.info.global_conf.hash_func = RTE_ETH_HASH_FUNCTION_TOEPLITZ;
>           rte_eth_dev_filter_ctrl(m_repid,
>                                   RTE_ETH_FILTER_HASH,
>                                   RTE_ETH_FILTER_SET, &info);
>
> 3) Configure some flow-director rules
>
> 4) TCP/UDP packets are received to the *right* core (based on a SW Toeplitz calculation +reta table) however
>    The reported rss value is *wrong* in the mbuf
>   (m->hash.rss == *wrong value*)

Are you getting same result with both scalar and vector driver?

>   ((m->ol_flags&PKT_RX_RSS_HASH) == PKT_RX_RSS_HASH
>
> 5) The above works fine for mlx5 and ixgbe
>
> 6) I suspect the hash is something else, maybe flow-director id or xor hash ..
>
> Wanted to know if this is a known issue. I can provide a simple way to reproduce it using TRex
>
> Thanks,
> Hanoh

* Re: i40e mbuf->rss indication
@ 2018-03-22 12:52       ` Hanoch Haim (hhaim)
From: Hanoch Haim (hhaim) @ 2018-03-22 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferruh Yigit, Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

Hi,
I think this is not the vector driver because I'm user scatter/gather

Thanks,
Hanoh

On 3/22/2018 11:46 AM, Hanoch Haim (hhaim) wrote:
> Driver: i40e
>
> DPDK : 17.11
>
> Configuration :
>
> 1)     RSS configuration
>        rxmode.mq_mode = ETH_MQ_RX_RSS;
>        rss->rss_hf = ETH_RSS_UDP | ETH_RSS_TCP;
>        rss->rss_key = Microsoft key
>        rss->rss_key_len = 52
>
>        *configure RETA to some rx-queues
>
> 2)        Change hash to TOEPLITZ (only for i40e)
>
>           struct rte_eth_hash_filter_info info = {};
>           info.info_type = RTE_ETH_HASH_FILTER_GLOBAL_CONFIG;
>           info.info.global_conf.hash_func = RTE_ETH_HASH_FUNCTION_TOEPLITZ;
>           rte_eth_dev_filter_ctrl(m_repid,
>                                   RTE_ETH_FILTER_HASH,
>                                   RTE_ETH_FILTER_SET, &info);
>
> 3) Configure some flow-director rules
>
> 4) TCP/UDP packets are received to the *right* core (based on a SW Toeplitz calculation +reta table) however
>    The reported rss value is *wrong* in the mbuf
>   (m->hash.rss == *wrong value*)

Are you getting same result with both scalar and vector driver?

>   ((m->ol_flags&PKT_RX_RSS_HASH) == PKT_RX_RSS_HASH
>
> 5) The above works fine for mlx5 and ixgbe
>
> 6) I suspect the hash is something else, maybe flow-director id or xor hash ..
>
> Wanted to know if this is a known issue. I can provide a simple way to reproduce it using TRex
>
> Thanks,
> Hanoh

* Re: i40e mbuf->rss indication
@ 2018-03-22 14:21         ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2018-03-22 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hanoch Haim (hhaim); +Cc: Ferruh Yigit, dev

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 12:52:30PM +0000, Hanoch Haim (hhaim) wrote:
> Hi,
> I think this is not the vector driver because I'm user scatter/gather

Vector driver has supported multi-buffer packets for a while now, so it
should be used for packet RX in i40e in just about all cases.

If possible, could you check if adjusting the setting for 16B/32B
descriptors in the build-time config makes a difference. For 16B
descriptors the flow director ID and RSS hash share a field in the
descriptor, while they don't with 32B versions (though the vector driver
only ever reads the first 16B of each descriptor in any case).

/Bruce

* Re: i40e mbuf->rss indication
@ 2018-03-25 18:19           ` Chilikin, Andrey
From: Chilikin, Andrey @ 2018-03-25 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richardson, Bruce, Hanoch Haim (hhaim); +Cc: Yigit, Ferruh, dev

Hi Hanoh,

Could you please explain what do you mean by *wrong hash value*?

i40e calculates hash value for TCP/UDP using 4-tuple: L3 source/destination addresses and L4 source/destination ports. It does not use IP protocol, as TCP and UDP already separated to different PCTYPEs at HW level. Could this be the root cause of the problem you are seeing?

Regards,
Andrey

* Re: i40e mbuf->rss indication
@ 2018-03-25 21:54             ` Hanoch Haim (hhaim)
From: Hanoch Haim (hhaim) @ 2018-03-25 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chilikin, Andrey; +Cc: Richardson, Bruce, Yigit, Ferruh, dev

Hi Andrey,

The ML specification is clear. The key is defined and work the same for all driver.
My point is that the RSS result (Rx-queue) is *correct* but the 32bit intermediate hash value that is reported in the descriptor is not correct. The hash value reside in the first 16B.
I can send how to reproduce this if needed.It might be related to flow-director configuration I have.

Thanks,
Hanoh
Sent from my iPhone