* Re: [v2] Old platforms: bring out your dead
@ 2021-01-15 20:37 John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
From: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz @ 2021-01-15 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux ARM
  Cc: Baruch Siach, Geert Uytterhoeven, Neil Armstrong, Viresh Kumar,
	Linus Walleij, Daniel Tang, Jamie Iles, Krzysztof Adamski,
	Alexander Shiyan, Michael Ellerman, Russell King - ARM Linux,
	Wei Xu, Oleksij Rempel, Alex Elder, Marc Gonzalez,
	Hans Ulli Kroll, Uwe Kleine-König, Steven Rostedt,
	Vladimir Zapolskiy, Lubomir Rintel, Krzysztof Halasa,
	Koen Vandeputte, Leizhen (ThunderTown),
	Barry Song, Thomas Bogendoerfer, Yoshinori Sato, Jonas Jensen,
	Tony Prisk, Hartley Sweeten, Mark Salter, Shawn Guo

Hello Arnd!

> * No objection to removing arch/powerpc/platforms/cell that I
>   had mentioned I plan to do.

Does this affect the capability to run Linux on the PS3?

If yes, it would be great if it could stay as the PS3 is a rather
widely used platform although you certainly won't find any PS3
users on the LKML.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

* Re: [v2] Old platforms: bring out your dead
@ 2021-01-15 21:17 ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2021-01-15 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
  Cc: Baruch Siach, Geert Uytterhoeven, Neil Armstrong, Viresh Kumar,
	Linus Walleij, Daniel Tang, Jamie Iles, Krzysztof Adamski,
	Alexander Shiyan, Michael Ellerman, Russell King - ARM Linux,
	Wei Xu, Oleksij Rempel, Alex Elder, Marc Gonzalez,
	Hans Ulli Kroll, Uwe Kleine-König, Steven Rostedt,
	Vladimir Zapolskiy, Lubomir Rintel, Krzysztof Halasa,
	Koen Vandeputte, Leizhen (ThunderTown),
	Linux ARM, Barry Song, Thomas Bogendoerfer, Yoshinori Sato,
	Jonas Jensen, Tony Prisk, Hartley Sweeten, Mark Salter,
	Shawn Guo

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 9:37 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hello Arnd!
>
> > * No objection to removing arch/powerpc/platforms/cell that I
> >   had mentioned I plan to do.
>
> Does this affect the capability to run Linux on the PS3?
>
> If yes, it would be great if it could stay as the PS3 is a rather
> widely used platform although you certainly won't find any PS3
> users on the LKML.

No, as I wrote in the initial email, I'm planning to move the things
(like spufs) that are shared with PS3 into arch/powerpc/platforms/ps3
and remove the parts that are only used on the IBM blades.

        Arnd

* Re: [v2] Old platforms: bring out your dead
@ 2021-01-17 10:33   ` Michael Ellerman
From: Michael Ellerman @ 2021-01-17 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
  Cc: Baruch Siach, Geert Uytterhoeven, Neil Armstrong, Viresh Kumar,
	Linus Walleij, Daniel Tang, Jamie Iles, Krzysztof Adamski,
	Alexander Shiyan, Russell King - ARM Linux, Wei Xu,
	Oleksij Rempel, Uwe Kleine-König, Marc Gonzalez,
	Hans Ulli Kroll, Alex Elder, Steven Rostedt, Vladimir Zapolskiy,
	Lubomir Rintel, Krzysztof Halasa, Koen Vandeputte,
	Leizhen (ThunderTown),
	Linux ARM, Barry Song, Thomas Bogendoerfer, Yoshinori Sato,
	Jonas Jensen, Hartley Sweeten, Mark Salter, Shawn Guo

Arnd Bergmann <arnd@kernel.org> writes:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 9:37 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
> <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Arnd!
>>
>> > * No objection to removing arch/powerpc/platforms/cell that I
>> >   had mentioned I plan to do.
>>
>> Does this affect the capability to run Linux on the PS3?
>>
>> If yes, it would be great if it could stay as the PS3 is a rather
>> widely used platform although you certainly won't find any PS3
>> users on the LKML.
>
> No, as I wrote in the initial email, I'm planning to move the things
> (like spufs) that are shared with PS3 into arch/powerpc/platforms/ps3
> and remove the parts that are only used on the IBM blades.

As I said a while back, I'm not convinced that's a good idea.

The only way I have of testing cell is using a QS22, I don't have a PS3
capable of running Linux these days. I worry that if I can't test cell
at all then the PS3 support will bit rot.

I know Geoff tests PS3, but that seems sporadic, I don't think he tests
linux-next every day.

I also don't think the cell blade support is really causing much in the
way of maintenance overhead. The thing that's causing work is spufs, and
that would remain either way.

I'd be happy to drop any QS20/21 code we have, but I'm not convinced
dropping QS22 is a good trade off.

cheers

* Re: [v2] Old platforms: bring out your dead
@ 2021-01-17 10:56     ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2021-01-17 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Ellerman
  Cc: Baruch Siach, Geert Uytterhoeven, Neil Armstrong, Viresh Kumar,
	Linus Walleij, Leizhen (ThunderTown),
	Daniel Tang, Jamie Iles, Krzysztof Adamski, Alexander Shiyan,
	Russell King - ARM Linux, Wei Xu, Oleksij Rempel, Alex Elder,
	Marc Gonzalez, Hans Ulli Kroll, Uwe Kleine-König,
	Steven Rostedt, Vladimir Zapolskiy, Lubomir Rintel,
	Krzysztof Halasa, Koen Vandeputte, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz,

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 11:33 AM Michael Ellerman <mpe@ellerman.id.au> wrote:
> Arnd Bergmann <arnd@kernel.org> writes:
> > On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 9:37 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
> > <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello Arnd!

> >> Does this affect the capability to run Linux on the PS3?
> >>
> >> If yes, it would be great if it could stay as the PS3 is a rather
> >> widely used platform although you certainly won't find any PS3
> >> users on the LKML.
> >
> > No, as I wrote in the initial email, I'm planning to move the things
> > (like spufs) that are shared with PS3 into arch/powerpc/platforms/ps3
> > and remove the parts that are only used on the IBM blades.
>
> As I said a while back, I'm not convinced that's a good idea.
>
> The only way I have of testing cell is using a QS22, I don't have a PS3
> capable of running Linux these days. I worry that if I can't test cell
> at all then the PS3 support will bit rot.

Fair enough. I must have missed your previous reply and expected
that your QS22 had stopped being operational years ago and that
there were already zero machines getting kernel updates.

Are you aware of any other users?

> I know Geoff tests PS3, but that seems sporadic, I don't think he tests
> linux-next every day.
>
> I also don't think the cell blade support is really causing much in the
> way of maintenance overhead. The thing that's causing work is spufs, and
> that would remain either way.
>
> I'd be happy to drop any QS20/21 code we have, but I'm not convinced
> dropping QS22 is a good trade off.

Right, I agree that there is little to gain from dropping QS20/21, the
only files that I see this would impact are

arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/spider-pci.c
arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/spider-pic.c
drivers/net/ethernet/toshiba/spider_net*

Dropping all of native (as opposed to PS3 hypervisor based) Cell support
would be a useful cleanup I think, but not as long as you still use it.

        Arnd

* Re: [v2] Old platforms: bring out your dead
@ 2021-01-17 13:26       ` John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
From: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz @ 2021-01-17 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann, Michael Ellerman
  Cc: Baruch Siach, Geert Uytterhoeven, Neil Armstrong, Viresh Kumar,
	Linus Walleij, Daniel Tang, Jamie Iles, Krzysztof Adamski,
	Alexander Shiyan, Russell King - ARM Linux, Wei Xu,
	Oleksij Rempel, Uwe Kleine-König, Marc Gonzalez,
	Hans Ulli Kroll, Alex Elder, Steven Rostedt, Vladimir Zapolskiy,
	Lubomir Rintel, Krzysztof Halasa, Koen Vandeputte,
	Leizhen (ThunderTown),
	Linux ARM, Barry Song, Thomas Bogendoerfer, Yoshinori Sato,
	Jonas Jensen, Hartley Sweeten, Mark Salter, Shawn Guo

Hi Arnd!

On 1/17/21 11:56 AM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>> I'd be happy to drop any QS20/21 code we have, but I'm not convinced
>> dropping QS22 is a good trade off.
>
> Right, I agree that there is little to gain from dropping QS20/21, the
> only files that I see this would impact are
>
> arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/spider-pci.c
> arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/spider-pic.c
> drivers/net/ethernet/toshiba/spider_net*
>
> Dropping all of native (as opposed to PS3 hypervisor based) Cell support
> would be a useful cleanup I think, but not as long as you still use it.

I'm very glad to hear that. Cell is such a unique and interesting architecture
that it would be a shame if it was no longer supported by the Linux kernel.

I would really like to try Debian on these machines one day.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

* Re: [v2] Old platforms: bring out your dead
@ 2021-01-21 11:58       ` Michael Ellerman
From: Michael Ellerman @ 2021-01-21 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann
  Cc: Baruch Siach, Geert Uytterhoeven, Neil Armstrong, Viresh Kumar,
	Linus Walleij, Leizhen (ThunderTown),
	Daniel Tang, Jamie Iles, Krzysztof Adamski, Alexander Shiyan,
	Russell King - ARM Linux, Wei Xu, Oleksij Rempel, Alex Elder,
	Marc Gonzalez, Hans Ulli Kroll, Uwe Kleine-König,
	Steven Rostedt, Vladimir Zapolskiy, Lubomir Rintel,
	Krzysztof Halasa, Koen Vandeputte, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz,
	Linux ARM, Barry Song, Thomas Bogendoerfer, Yoshinori Sato,
	Geoff Levand, Jonas Jensen, Hartley Sweeten, Mark Salter,
	Shawn Guo

Arnd Bergmann <arnd@kernel.org> writes:
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 11:33 AM Michael Ellerman <mpe@ellerman.id.au> wrote:
>> Arnd Bergmann <arnd@kernel.org> writes:

>> > No, as I wrote in the initial email, I'm planning to move the things
>> > (like spufs) that are shared with PS3 into arch/powerpc/platforms/ps3
>> > and remove the parts that are only used on the IBM blades.
>>
>> As I said a while back, I'm not convinced that's a good idea.
>>
>> The only way I have of testing cell is using a QS22, I don't have a PS3
>> capable of running Linux these days. I worry that if I can't test cell
>> at all then the PS3 support will bit rot.
>
> Fair enough. I must have missed your previous reply and expected
> that your QS22 had stopped being operational years ago and that
> there were already zero machines getting kernel updates.

No worries, we all get lots of email :)

So far that QS22 is still going OK with no signs of imminent failure.

> Are you aware of any other users?

No.

I can think of one spufs patch ~year ago that came from someone I assume
is a real Cell user, but otherwise it's pretty much only Geoff that ever
sends Cell/PS3 patches.

>> I know Geoff tests PS3, but that seems sporadic, I don't think he tests
>> linux-next every day.
>>
>> I also don't think the cell blade support is really causing much in the
>> way of maintenance overhead. The thing that's causing work is spufs, and
>> that would remain either way.
>>
>> I'd be happy to drop any QS20/21 code we have, but I'm not convinced
>> dropping QS22 is a good trade off.
>
> Right, I agree that there is little to gain from dropping QS20/21, the
> only files that I see this would impact are
>
> arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/spider-pci.c
> arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/spider-pic.c
> drivers/net/ethernet/toshiba/spider_net*
>
> Dropping all of native (as opposed to PS3 hypervisor based) Cell support
> would be a useful cleanup I think, but not as long as you still use it.

I would still be happy to drop QS20/21, it's still a few thousand lines
of code, and hasn't been tested for years.

I think it might also let us clean up some of our IO_WORKAROUNDS stuff.

But I agree it's much less of an obvious maintenance win than dropping
all of the native code.

cheers

* Re: [v2] Old platforms: bring out your dead
@ 2021-01-21 12:51         ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2021-01-21 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Ellerman
  Cc: Baruch Siach, Geert Uytterhoeven, Neil Armstrong, Viresh Kumar,

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 12:58 PM Michael Ellerman <mpe@ellerman.id.au> wrote:
> Arnd Bergmann <arnd@kernel.org> writes:
> > On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 11:33 AM Michael Ellerman <mpe@ellerman.id.au> wrote:

> > Right, I agree that there is little to gain from dropping QS20/21, the
> > only files that I see this would impact are
> >
> > arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/spider-pci.c
> > arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/spider-pic.c
> > drivers/net/ethernet/toshiba/spider_net*
> >
> > Dropping all of native (as opposed to PS3 hypervisor based) Cell support
> > would be a useful cleanup I think, but not as long as you still use it.
>
> I would still be happy to drop QS20/21, it's still a few thousand lines
> of code, and hasn't been tested for years.
>
> I think it might also let us clean up some of our IO_WORKAROUNDS stuff.
>
> But I agree it's much less of an obvious maintenance win than dropping
> all of the native code.

Good point about the IO_WORKAROUNDS! This is something that may
come up again if we manage to get arch/arm/mach-ixp4xx converted
to use a common kernel. This one also needs indirect MMIO, so at that
point, we could steal the code from powerpc and put it into common
code, but then drop the Cell version.

       Arnd

* Re: [v2] Old platforms: bring out your dead
@ 2021-01-18 10:46             ` Wei Xu
From: Wei Xu @ 2021-01-18 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann, Leizhen (ThunderTown)
	Oleksij Rempel, Baruch Siach, Russell King - ARM Linux,
	Daniel Tang, Uwe Kleine-König, Jamie Iles, Barry Song,
	Viresh Kumar, Linus Walleij, Jonas Jensen, Marc Gonzalez,
	Hartley Sweeten, Lubomir Rintel, Neil Armstrong, Shawn Guo,
	Alex Elder, Alexander Shiyan, Koen Vandeputte, Hans Ulli Kroll,
	Vladimir Zapolskiy, Steven Rostedt, Yoshinori Sato, Mark Salter,
	Michael Ellerman, Geert Uytterhoeven, Thomas Bogendoerfer,
	Tony Prisk, Krzysztof Halasa, xuwei5

Hi Arnd,

On 2021/1/15 20:04, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 12:09 PM Leizhen (ThunderTown)
> <thunder.leizhen@huawei.com> wrote:

>>> Thank you for your reply! I actually meant to write hip04 instead of hip05,
>>> so I was only asking about the two 32-bit targets. I would expect that
>>> hip05 still has a few users, but wouldn't mind removing that as well if you
>>> are sure there are none.
>>>
>>> Since Zhen Lei is starting to upstream Kunpeng506 and Kunpeng509
>>> support, can you clarify how much reuse of IP blocks there is between
>>> hip04 and those? In particular, hip04 has custom code for (at least)
>>> platmcpm, clk, irqchip, ethernet, and hw_rng, probably more as those
>>> were only the ones I see on a quick grep.
>>>
>>> If we remove hip04, should we remove all these drivers right away,
>>> or keep some of them around?
>>
>> I think the drivers should be kept.
>
> Ok, will do.
>
>> Currently, at least hip04_eth.c and irq-hip04.c are used. These drivers
>> were originally written for Hip04, but the drivers used by other boards
>> maybe similar to them. Therefore, these drivers are extended without
>> adding new drivers.
>
> Right, so the other chips just use compatible="hisilicon,hip04-intc"
> etc. in their device trees? Is there a public copy of the dts files
> somewhere that I can use for cross-referencing? Sorry if I'm
> messing up the timeline for your upstreaming plans.
>
> It might actually be easier to leave hip01 and hip04 in the
> tree for the moment until you have upstreamed the other SoC
> support, and then we clean up by removing the unused bits
> afterwards. I'll leave it to you both to tell me which way is easier
> for you.

I have aligned with Leizhen and as you suggested it is better to keep them
for the moment.
Thanks!

Best Regards,
Wei

From: Wei Xu @ 2021-01-18 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann, Leizhen (ThunderTown)
  Cc: Baruch Siach, Geert Uytterhoeven, Neil Armstrong, Viresh Kumar,
	Linus Walleij, Daniel Tang, Jamie Iles, Krzysztof Adamski,
	Alexander Shiyan, Michael Ellerman, Russell King - ARM Linux,
	xuwei5, Oleksij Rempel, Alex Elder, Marc Gonzalez,
	Hans Ulli Kroll, Uwe Kleine-König, Steven Rostedt,
	Vladimir Zapolskiy, Lubomir Rintel, Krzysztof Halasa,
	Koen Vandeputte, Linux ARM, Barry Song, Thomas Bogendoerfer,
	Yoshinori Sato, Linux Kernel Mailing List, Jonas Jensen,

@ 2021-01-15 12:04           ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2021-01-15 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leizhen (ThunderTown)

From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2021-01-15 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leizhen (ThunderTown)
  Cc: Baruch Siach, Geert Uytterhoeven, Neil Armstrong, Viresh Kumar,

@ 2021-01-15 11:09         ` Leizhen (ThunderTown)
From: Leizhen (ThunderTown) @ 2021-01-15 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann, Wei Xu
	Oleksij Rempel, Baruch Siach, Russell King - ARM Linux,
	Daniel Tang, Uwe Kleine-König, Jamie Iles, Barry Song,
	Viresh Kumar, Linus Walleij, Jonas Jensen, Marc Gonzalez,
	Hartley Sweeten, Lubomir Rintel, Neil Armstrong, Shawn Guo,
	Alex Elder, Alexander Shiyan, Koen Vandeputte, Hans Ulli Kroll,
	Vladimir Zapolskiy, Steven Rostedt, Yoshinori Sato, Mark Salter,
	Michael Ellerman, Geert Uytterhoeven, Thomas Bogendoerfer,
	Tony Prisk, Krzysztof Halasa

On 2021/1/15 17:26, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 8:08 AM Wei Xu <xuwei5@hisilicon.com> wrote:
>> On 2021/1/14 0:14, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>>> On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 11:55 PM Arnd Bergmann <arnd@kernel.org> wrote:
>>> * mmp -- added in 2009, DT support is active, but board files might go
>>> * cns3xxx -- added in 2010, last fixed in 2019, probably no users left
>>> * hisi (hip01/hip05) -- servers added in 2013, replaced with arm64 in 2016
>>
>> I think it is OK to drop the support of the hip01(arm32) and hip05(arm64).
>> Could you also help to drop the support of the hip04(arm32) which I think nobody use as well?
>
> Thank you for your reply! I actually meant to write hip04 instead of hip05,
> so I was only asking about the two 32-bit targets. I would expect that
> hip05 still has a few users, but wouldn't mind removing that as well if you
> are sure there are none.
>
> Since Zhen Lei is starting to upstream Kunpeng506 and Kunpeng509
> support, can you clarify how much reuse of IP blocks there is between
> hip04 and those? In particular, hip04 has custom code for (at least)
> platmcpm, clk, irqchip, ethernet, and hw_rng, probably more as those
> were only the ones I see on a quick grep.
>
> If we remove hip04, should we remove all these drivers right away,
> or keep some of them around?

I think the drivers should be kept. Currently, at least hip04_eth.c and

From: Leizhen (ThunderTown) @ 2021-01-15 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann, Wei Xu
  Cc: Baruch Siach, Geert Uytterhoeven, Neil Armstrong, Viresh Kumar,
	Linus Walleij, Daniel Tang, Jamie Iles, Krzysztof Adamski,
	Alexander Shiyan, Michael Ellerman, Russell King - ARM Linux,
	Oleksij Rempel, Alex Elder, Marc Gonzalez, Hans Ulli Kroll,
	Uwe Kleine-König, Steven Rostedt, Vladimir Zapolskiy,
	Lubomir Rintel, Krzysztof Halasa, Koen Vandeputte, Linux ARM,
	Barry Song, Thomas Bogendoerfer, Yoshinori Sato,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Jonas Jensen, Tony Prisk,

@ 2021-01-15  9:26       ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2021-01-15  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Xu
	Oleksij Rempel, Baruch Siach, Russell King - ARM Linux,
	Daniel Tang, Uwe Kleine-König, Jamie Iles, Barry Song,
	Viresh Kumar, Linus Walleij, Jonas Jensen, Marc Gonzalez,
	Hartley Sweeten, Lubomir Rintel, Neil Armstrong, Shawn Guo,
	Alex Elder, Alexander Shiyan, Koen Vandeputte, Hans Ulli Kroll,
	Vladimir Zapolskiy, Steven Rostedt, Yoshinori Sato, Mark Salter,
	Michael Ellerman, Geert Uytterhoeven, Thomas Bogendoerfer,
	Tony Prisk, Krzysztof Halasa, Leizhen (ThunderTown)

From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2021-01-15  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Xu
  Cc: Baruch Siach, Geert Uytterhoeven, Neil Armstrong, Viresh Kumar,

@ 2021-01-15  7:08     ` Wei Xu
From: Wei Xu @ 2021-01-15  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Krzysztof Adamski, Oleksij Rempel, Baruch Siach,

From: Wei Xu @ 2021-01-15  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Baruch Siach, Geert Uytterhoeven, Neil Armstrong, Viresh Kumar,

@ 2021-01-14  8:51       ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2021-01-14  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krzysztof Hałasa
	Oleksij Rempel, Baruch Siach, Russell King - ARM Linux,
	Daniel Tang, Uwe Kleine-König, Jamie Iles, Barry Song,
	Viresh Kumar, Linus Walleij, Jonas Jensen, Marc Gonzalez,
	Hartley Sweeten, Lubomir Rintel, Neil Armstrong, Shawn Guo,
	Alex Elder, Alexander Shiyan, Koen Vandeputte, Hans Ulli Kroll,
	Vladimir Zapolskiy, Wei Xu, Steven Rostedt, Yoshinori Sato,
	Mark Salter, Michael Ellerman, Geert Uytterhoeven,
	Thomas Bogendoerfer, Leizhen (ThunderTown)

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 8:00 PM Krzysztof Hałasa <khalasa@piap.pl> wrote:
> Arnd Bergmann <arnd@kernel.org> writes:
>
> > For these I received no reply yet. Again, these will stay for the moment
> > unless I get a reply, but if anyone has more information, please reply
> > here to document the status (adding a few more people to Cc):
> >
> > * cns3xxx -- added in 2010, last fixed in 2019, probably no users left
>
> The following is what I sent to you a week ago. I don't say whether
> CNS3xxx support should stay or not, of course.
>
> Subject: Re: cns3xxx PCIe domain support
>
> Arnd Bergmann <arnd@kernel.org> writes:
>
> > For the cns3xxx case, I wonder if anyone actually cares. If
> > there are still users, the treewide change would make it trivial
> > to set it up right, while backporting would be harder. I noticed
> > that openwrt removed cns3xxx support in August with the
> > explanation that the platform is not used much anymore,
> > and I suspect that any users outside of openwrt stopped updating
> > their kernels long ago.
>
> I'm still using CNS3xxx-based Gateworks' boards (Laguna), with some
> custom patch set, but the last kernels are over 2 years old. I have some
> plan to update, but the probability it will happen very soon is rather
> low. I guess I will test and, if needed, fix it when the time comes.
>
> I'm not using them with OpenWrt, though.
> They are basically a platform for (the old, parallel, not express)
> mini-PCI cards and similar stuff. Nothing connected to the Internet etc.

Hi Krzysztof,

Thanks for your reply. I think I misremembered it from when you
originally said this in the other thread and thought you meant
you were unlikely to ever do it, not just for doing it soon.

No need to rush things then by removing it prematurely then, but it
might help if you could point to a git tree with your last working patches
in case someone else has a Laguna and wants to update it to a more
recent kernel before you do.

         Arnd

From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2021-01-14  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krzysztof Hałasa
  Cc: Baruch Siach, Geert Uytterhoeven, Neil Armstrong, Viresh Kumar,
	Linus Walleij, Daniel Tang, Jamie Iles, Krzysztof Adamski,
	Alexander Shiyan, Michael Ellerman, Russell King - ARM Linux,
	Wei Xu, Oleksij Rempel, Alex Elder, Marc Gonzalez,
	Hans Ulli Kroll, Uwe Kleine-König, Steven Rostedt,
	Vladimir Zapolskiy, Lubomir Rintel, Koen Vandeputte,
	Leizhen (ThunderTown),
	Linux ARM, Barry Song, Thomas Bogendoerfer, Yoshinori Sato,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Jonas Jensen, Hartley Sweeten,
	Mark Salter, Shawn Guo

@ 2021-01-13 19:00     ` Krzysztof Hałasa
From: Krzysztof Hałasa @ 2021-01-13 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann
	Oleksij Rempel, Baruch Siach, Russell King - ARM Linux,
	Daniel Tang, Uwe Kleine-König, Jamie Iles, Barry Song,
	Viresh Kumar, Linus Walleij, Jonas Jensen, Marc Gonzalez,
	Hartley Sweeten, Lubomir Rintel, Neil Armstrong, Shawn Guo,
	Alex Elder, Alexander Shiyan, Koen Vandeputte, Hans Ulli Kroll,
	Vladimir Zapolskiy, Wei Xu, Steven Rostedt, Yoshinori Sato,
	Mark Salter, Michael Ellerman, Geert Uytterhoeven,
	Thomas Bogendoerfer, Leizhen (ThunderTown)

Arnd,

Subject: Re: cns3xxx PCIe domain support

Arnd Bergmann <arnd@kernel.org> writes:

> For the cns3xxx case, I wonder if anyone actually cares. If
> there are still users, the treewide change would make it trivial
> to set it up right, while backporting would be harder. I noticed
> that openwrt removed cns3xxx support in August with the
> explanation that the platform is not used much anymore,
> and I suspect that any users outside of openwrt stopped updating
> their kernels long ago.

I'm still using CNS3xxx-based Gateworks' boards (Laguna), with some
custom patch set, but the last kernels are over 2 years old. I have some
plan to update, but the probability it will happen very soon is rather
low. I guess I will test and, if needed, fix it when the time comes.

I'm not using them with OpenWrt, though.
They are basically a platform for (the old, parallel, not express)
mini-PCI cards and similar stuff. Nothing connected to the Internet etc.

--
Krzysztof Halasa

Sieć Badawcza Łukasiewicz
Przemysłowy Instytut Automatyki i Pomiarów PIAP
Al. Jerozolimskie 202, 02-486 Warszawa

From: Krzysztof Hałasa @ 2021-01-13 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann
  Cc: Baruch Siach, Geert Uytterhoeven, Neil Armstrong, Viresh Kumar,

@ 2021-01-13 16:14 ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2021-01-13 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Krzysztof Adamski, Oleksij Rempel, Baruch Siach,
	Russell King - ARM Linux, Daniel Tang, Uwe Kleine-König,
	Jamie Iles, Barry Song, Viresh Kumar, Linus Walleij,
	Jonas Jensen, Marc Gonzalez, Hartley Sweeten, Lubomir Rintel,
	Neil Armstrong, Shawn Guo, Alex Elder, Alexander Shiyan,
	Koen Vandeputte, Hans Ulli Kroll, Vladimir Zapolskiy, Wei Xu,
[...]

* lpc18xx -- added in 2015, new dts in 2018, but few other changes
* moxart -- added in 2013, last Tested-by in 2017
* mv78xx0 -- added in 2008, mostly stale but still users
  (https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Buffalo)

For the non-Arm platforms I listed, little has changed:

* Thomas Bogendoerfer confirms that he all the MIPS platforms and
  the R3000 CPU are still in active use
* Mark Salter steps down as the maintainer for C6x and the architecture
  will be removed
* No objection to removing arch/powerpc/platforms/cell that I
  had mentioned I plan to do.
* For the other architectures, a couple of users replied, but no
  architecture maintainer added any information, so I won't take
  any action.

         Arnd