* Crash on resume after suspend (5.17.5 and 5.15.36)
       [not found] <refZ3y2HAXztrRkMMmFbBaF7Dz1CctWgjchSdBtcSNlpk-TL0fqLepVVHfw9qXtIQF9uFzBvFdjQiiX9Jv2zW9oaWej952s1IYwu61d1REo=@protonmail.com>
@ 2022-05-04 15:07 ` Jordan Leppert
                     ` (4 more replies)
From: Jordan Leppert @ 2022-05-04 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable; +Cc: regressions, labre, davem

Hi,

A changed was added to both version 5.17.5 and 5.15.36 which causes my computer to freeze when resuming after a suspend. This happens every time I suspend and then resume.

I've bisected the change to commit: cbe6c3a8f8f4315b96e46e1a1c70393c06d95a4c (net: atlantic: invert deep par in pm functions, preventing null derefs)
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=linux-5.17.y&id=cbe6c3a8f8f4315b96e46e1a1c70393c06d95a4c

My computer details that might be relevant:
OS: Arch Linux
CPU: AMD 5950X
GPU: AMD 6800XT

As expected I have an Aquantia ethernet controller listed in lspci:

05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Aquantia Corp. AQC107 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet Controller [AQtion] (rev 02)

Please let me know if there is any more info I can give that will help.

Regards,
Jordan

* Re: Crash on resume after suspend (5.17.5 and 5.15.36)
@ 2022-05-04 16:38   ` Jordan Leppert
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jordan Leppert @ 2022-05-04 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable; +Cc: regressions, labre, davem

Some info I missed out, and some I've discovered:

1. This causes my system to completely freeze such that I need to reboot to recover

2. There are no system logs from the crash, in fact absolutely no logs from the resume at all, the last logs were of the computer going into suspend

3. I've found that I can prevent this crash by unloading the atlantic module before suspending (modprobe -r atlantic)

4. Also, if I take the v5.17.5 tag of the kernel and revert the commit mentioned in my first email, this also prevents the crash

Regards,
Jordan

> A changed was added to both version 5.17.5 and 5.15.36 which causes my computer to freeze when resuming after a suspend. This happens every time I suspend and then resume.
>
> I've bisected the change to commit: cbe6c3a8f8f4315b96e46e1a1c70393c06d95a4c (net: atlantic: invert deep par in pm functions, preventing null derefs)
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=linux-5.17.y&id=cbe6c3a8f8f4315b96e46e1a1c70393c06d95a4c
>
> My computer details that might be relevant:
> OS: Arch Linux
> CPU: AMD 5950X
> GPU: AMD 6800XT
>
> As expected I have an Aquantia ethernet controller listed in lspci:
>
> 05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Aquantia Corp. AQC107 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet Controller [AQtion] (rev 02)
>
> Please let me know if there is any more info I can give that will help.
>
> Regards,
> Jordan

* Re: Crash on resume after suspend (5.17.5 and 5.15.36)
@ 2022-05-04 17:50   ` Holger Hoffstätte
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Holger Hoffstätte @ 2022-05-04 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jordan Leppert, stable; +Cc: regressions, labre, davem

On 2022-05-04 17:07, Jordan Leppert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A changed was added to both version 5.17.5 and 5.15.36 which causes my computer to freeze when resuming after a suspend. This happens every time I suspend and then resume.
>
> I've bisected the change to commit: cbe6c3a8f8f4315b96e46e1a1c70393c06d95a4c (net: atlantic: invert deep par in pm functions, preventing null derefs)
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=linux-5.17.y&id=cbe6c3a8f8f4315b96e46e1a1c70393c06d95a4c
>
> My computer details that might be relevant:
> OS: Arch Linux
> CPU: AMD 5950X
> GPU: AMD 6800XT
>
> As expected I have an Aquantia ethernet controller listed in lspci:
>
> 05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Aquantia Corp. AQC107 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet Controller [AQtion] (rev 02)
>
> Please let me know if there is any more info I can give that will help.
>
> Regards,
> Jordan

Just a quick note that I have the same issue (same card model); since recently
(5.15.36) the hang after resume is 100% reliable. IIRC it used to be hit-and-miss
before that. I'm currently building .38 with the mentioned commit reverted and
will report back. Thanks for bringing this up.

-h

* Re: Crash on resume after suspend (5.17.5 and 5.15.36)
@ 2022-05-04 18:31     ` Holger Hoffstätte
From: Holger Hoffstätte @ 2022-05-04 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jordan Leppert, stable; +Cc: regressions, labre, davem

On 2022-05-04 19:50, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
> On 2022-05-04 17:07, Jordan Leppert wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> A changed was added to both version 5.17.5 and 5.15.36 which causes my computer to freeze when resuming after a suspend. This happens every time I suspend and then resume.
>>
>> I've bisected the change to commit: cbe6c3a8f8f4315b96e46e1a1c70393c06d95a4c (net: atlantic: invert deep par in pm functions, preventing null derefs)
>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=linux-5.17.y&id=cbe6c3a8f8f4315b96e46e1a1c70393c06d95a4c
>>
>> My computer details that might be relevant:
>> OS: Arch Linux
>> CPU: AMD 5950X
>> GPU: AMD 6800XT
>>
>> As expected I have an Aquantia ethernet controller listed in lspci:
>>
>> 05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Aquantia Corp. AQC107 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet Controller [AQtion] (rev 02)
>>
>> Please let me know if there is any more info I can give that will help.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jordan
>>

> Just a quick note that I have the same issue (same card model); since recently
> (5.15.36) the hang after resume is 100% reliable. IIRC it used to be hit-and-miss
> before that. I'm currently building .38 with the mentioned commit reverted and
> will report back. Thanks for bringing this up.

With said commit reverted and 5.15.38 I got 1 successful resume and 1 lockup.
Difference is that with the patch reverted, the locked-up system can be pinged
(unlike with the patch applied), though resume still does not finish properly and
now probably runs into the problem that the patch was trying to fix.
Any network services like ssh are still dead though.
This used to work every time, all the time..looks like I'll try removing the
module before suspend.

-h

* Re: Crash on resume after suspend (5.17.5 and 5.15.36)
@ 2022-05-04 19:25   ` Manuel Ullmann
       [not found]     ` <vcehgVc5mzweaw_ru0o1up63In2GGa9jtEWuaH8op7p2753Wfr2ezPhxFJdMPFxmpiPmrUB4XnH2nakuhC_BJby3wFa87cbpdLV-lDDb6Ko=@protonmail.com>
From: Manuel Ullmann @ 2022-05-04 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jordan Leppert; +Cc: stable, regressions, labre, davem

> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=linux-5.17.y&id=cbe6c3a8f8f4315b96e46e1a1c70393c06d95a4c
Yup, that’s my fault and I reproduced this myself yesterday. I actually
expected this to happen and attempted to test suspend with the patch,
but must have screwed up by kexec-rebooting into an unpatched kernel
version or something like that. I’ll disable the kexec service in the
future, if I ever need to prepare a patch again.
> 05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Aquantia Corp. AQC107 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet Controller [AQtion] (rev 02)
Yes, I have the same one.

> Please let me know if there is any more info I can give that will help.
Can you confirm, that hibernation works with the patch, but not without
it? The patch was an attempt to fix it, because I had the same behaviour
with hibernation. I tried to make sense of the deep parameter in
atl_resume_common pm function calls, but apparently it’s always required
to be true and thus obsolete.

I’ll leave the cleanup of that parameter to the maintainers for mainline
and prepare a patch. Last time I sent it against mainline. If this fixup
of a stable patch regression should be posted differently, it would be
nice, if someone could give me a pointer.

5.10.113 is also affected.

* Re: Crash on resume after suspend (5.17.5 and 5.15.36)
@ 2022-05-04 20:58     ` Holger Hoffstätte
From: Holger Hoffstätte @ 2022-05-04 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manuel Ullmann, Jordan Leppert; +Cc: stable, regressions, davem

On 2022-05-04 21:25, Manuel Ullmann wrote:
>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=linux-5.17.y&id=cbe6c3a8f8f4315b96e46e1a1c70393c06d95a4c
> Yup, that’s my fault and I reproduced this myself yesterday. I actually
> expected this to happen and attempted to test suspend with the patch,
> but must have screwed up by kexec-rebooting into an unpatched kernel
> version or something like that. I’ll disable the kexec service in the
> future, if I ever need to prepare a patch again.
>> 05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Aquantia Corp. AQC107 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet Controller [AQtion] (rev 02)
> Yes, I have the same one.
>
>> Please let me know if there is any more info I can give that will help.
> Can you confirm, that hibernation works with the patch, but not without
> it? The patch was an attempt to fix it, because I had the same behaviour

Cannot test hibernation, but..

> with hibernation. I tried to make sense of the deep parameter in
> atl_resume_common pm function calls, but apparently it’s always required
> to be true and thus obsolete.

..I patched 5.15.38 to pass true as deep arg everywhere, and now resume
seems to work again reliably, 5 out of 5. \o/

> I’ll leave the cleanup of that parameter to the maintainers for mainline
> and prepare a patch. Last time I sent it against mainline. If this fixup
> of a stable patch regression should be posted differently, it would be
> nice, if someone could give me a pointer.

Send fix to mainline first, with Fixes: <mainline commit id> tag and
Cc: stable mentioning the affected versions.

cheers
Holger

* Re: Crash on resume after suspend (5.17.5 and 5.15.36)
@ 2022-05-04 22:10       ` Manuel Ullmann
From: Manuel Ullmann @ 2022-05-04 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Holger Hoffstätte
  Cc: Manuel Ullmann, Jordan Leppert, stable, regressions, davem

Holger Hoffstätte <holger@applied-asynchrony.com> writes:
> On 2022-05-04 21:25, Manuel Ullmann wrote:
>>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=linux-5.17.y&id=cbe6c3a8f8f4315b96e46e1a1c70393c06d95a4c
>> Yup, that’s my fault and I reproduced this myself yesterday. I actually
>> expected this to happen and attempted to test suspend with the patch,
>> but must have screwed up by kexec-rebooting into an unpatched kernel
>> version or something like that. I’ll disable the kexec service in the
>> future, if I ever need to prepare a patch again.
>>> 05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Aquantia Corp. AQC107 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet Controller [AQtion] (rev 02)
>> Yes, I have the same one.
>>
>>> Please let me know if there is any more info I can give that will help.
>> Can you confirm, that hibernation works with the patch, but not without
>> it? The patch was an attempt to fix it, because I had the same behaviour
>
> Cannot test hibernation, but..

That’s unfortunate.

>> with hibernation. I tried to make sense of the deep parameter in
>> atl_resume_common pm function calls, but apparently it’s always required
>> to be true and thus obsolete.
>
> ..I patched 5.15.38 to pass true as deep arg everywhere, and now resume
> seems to work again reliably, 5 out of 5. \o/

Thanks for confirming that my patch should work. For some reason I had
the same idea. ;)

>> I’ll leave the cleanup of that parameter to the maintainers for mainline
>> and prepare a patch. Last time I sent it against mainline. If this fixup
>> of a stable patch regression should be posted differently, it would be
>> nice, if someone could give me a pointer.
>
> Send fix to mainline first, with Fixes: <mainline commit id> tag and
> Cc: stable mentioning the affected versions.
Thanks for the hint. I did that.

@ 2022-05-04 22:21       ` Manuel Ullmann
From: Manuel Ullmann @ 2022-05-04 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jordan Leppert; +Cc: labre, stable, regressions, davem

> I also probably can't test hibernation, never managed to get it
> working before. I'll give it a shot tomorrow though if I have time but
> I don't even have swap set up ATM.
That’s a pity, but okay, of course. Thanks for reporting this bug.

Since you are using Arch and the Wiki is quite detailed, you could try
setting up a swap on an unused USB stick floating around. This should be
the easiest setup. Make sure to add resume to the mkinitcpio hooks after
udev, but before fsck and add the resume parameter to your bootloader as
described in the Wiki. This should get you going.

Don’t make this a permanent setup, if you use encryption or like
performance. The permanent solution would be creating a swap partition
or, if that is not feasible, a swap file while considering the Wiki
notes for e.g. btrfs.

Best regards,
Manuel

* Re: Crash on resume after suspend (5.17.5 and 5.15.36)
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-05-05  7:43   ` Thorsten Leemhuis
From: Thorsten Leemhuis @ 2022-05-05  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jordan Leppert, stable; +Cc: regressions, labre, davem

[TLDR: I'm adding the regression report below to regzbot, the Linux
kernel regression tracking bot; all text you find below is compiled from
a few templates paragraphs you might have encountered already already
from similar mails.]

Hi, this is your Linux kernel regression tracker. Top-posting for once,
to make this easily accessible to everyone.

This is being dealt with already (great, thx a lot!), nevertheless I'd
like to add it to the regression tracking:

#regzbot ^introduced cbe6c3a8f8f4315b96e46e1a1c70393c06d95a4c
#regzbot title net: atlantic: computer to freeze when resuming after a
suspend
#regzbot ignore-activity
#regzbot monitor https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/87czgt2bsb.fsf@posteo.de/

P.S.: As the Linux kernel's regression tracker I deal with a lot of
reports and sometimes miss something important when writing mails like
this. If that's the case here, don't hesitate to tell me in a public
reply, it's in everyone's interest to set the public record straight.

@ 2022-05-05 10:41         ` Jordan Leppert
From: Jordan Leppert @ 2022-05-05 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manuel Ullmann; +Cc: stable, regressions, davem

Thanks for the suggestion of using a USB stick, I managed to get it set up, and hibernate actually works! Slightly in shock, once I get a proper swap partition set up I can turn my PC off at night now.

> > I also probably can't test hibernation, never managed to get it
>
> > working before. I'll give it a shot tomorrow though if I have time but
> > I don't even have swap set up ATM.
>
> That’s a pity, but okay, of course. Thanks for reporting this bug.
>
> Since you are using Arch and the Wiki is quite detailed, you could try
> setting up a swap on an unused USB stick floating around. This should be
> the easiest setup. Make sure to add resume to the mkinitcpio hooks after
> udev, but before fsck and add the resume parameter to your bootloader as
> described in the Wiki. This should get you going.
>
> Don’t make this a permanent setup, if you use encryption or like
> performance. The permanent solution would be creating a swap partition
> or, if that is not feasible, a swap file while considering the Wiki
> notes for e.g. btrfs.
>
> Best regards,
> Manuel

* Re: Crash on resume after suspend (5.17.5 and 5.15.36)
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-05-09  6:59   ` Thorsten Leemhuis
From: Thorsten Leemhuis @ 2022-05-09  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: regressions

[TLDR: I'm adding this regression report to the list of tracked
regressions; all text from me you find below is based on a few templates
paragraphs you might have encountered already already in similar form.]

Hi, this is your Linux kernel regression tracker. Top-posting for once,
to make this easily accessible to everyone.

To be sure below issue doesn't fall through the cracks unnoticed, I'm
adding it to regzbot, my Linux kernel regression tracking bot:

#regzbot ^introduced cbe6c3a8f8f4
#regzbot title net: atlantic: Crash on resume after suspend (5.17.5 and
5.15.36)
#regzbot ignore-activity
#regzbot monitor: https://lore.kernel.org/all/87bkw8dfmp.fsf@posteo.de/

This isn't a regression? This issue or a fix for it are already
discussed somewhere else? It was fixed already? You want to clarify when
the regression started to happen? Or point out I got the title or
something else totally wrong? Then just reply -- ideally with also
telling regzbot about it, as explained here:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/tracked-regression/

Reminder for developers: When fixing the issue, add 'Link:' tags
pointing to the report (the mail this one replied to), as the kernel's
documentation call for; above page explains why this is important for
tracked regressions.