* FYI: User land tools status
@ 2010-08-20  4:46 Jiro SEKIBA
       [not found] ` <87zkwhx55n.wl%jir-27yqGEOhnJbQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: Jiro SEKIBA @ 2010-08-20  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nilfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi,

I'm pleased to share the status of the user land tools I've been working on.
Recently a few patches are incorporated into util-linux-ng and udisks
to support NILFS.  With those changes, you can play with NILFS more
convenient manner now.

New blkid in util-linux-ng let you mount NILFS partition with volume label
or UUID instead of device file, just like other filesystem does.

Furthermore you can use palimpsest to create, mount, umount the NILFS
partition by new udisks(aka DeviceKit-disks).

palimpsest is a graphical tool to manage drives and media of
gnome-disk-utility project used in ubuntu.

I don't see any Distro updates to support those yet, but at least
you can try those by retrieving source code repository of those projects.

util-linux-ng:
 git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/util-linux-ng/util-linux-ng.git
udisks:
 git://git.freedesktop.org/git/DeviceKit/DeviceKit-disks.git

You need recent util-linux-ng and nilfs2-utils to try the new udisks.

I also working on GNU parted to support NILFS.  The patch is already
in public, but need some more "paper work" for code assignment.
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/parted-devel/2010-July/003715.html

Any feedbacks, comments, requests for those utilities/patches are welcome!

Jiro SEKIBA <jir-hfpbi5WX9J54Eiagz67IpQ@public.gmane.org>

* Re: FYI: User land tools status
       [not found] ` <87zkwhx55n.wl%jir-27yqGEOhnJbQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2010-08-20 13:00   ` Jérôme Poulin
From: Jérôme Poulin @ 2010-08-20 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nilfs

Finally, blkid support! Very nice for initramfs scripts. It would be
nice if the TODO for unified nilfs2 management tool gets completed,
just like btrfs did with the btrfs command, very useful for someone
new to the FS, all commands are listed with online help and boot
scripts will finally be able to settle on specific commands.

@ 2010-08-20 17:51   ` Ryusuke Konishi
From: Ryusuke Konishi @ 2010-08-20 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jir-hfpbi5WX9J54Eiagz67IpQ; +Cc: linux-nilfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi,
On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:46:28 +0900, Jiro SEKIBA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm pleased to share the status of the user land tools I've been working on.
> Recently a few patches are incorporated into util-linux-ng and udisks
> to support NILFS.  With those changes, you can play with NILFS more
> convenient manner now.
>
> New blkid in util-linux-ng let you mount NILFS partition with volume label
> or UUID instead of device file, just like other filesystem does.
>
> Furthermore you can use palimpsest to create, mount, umount the NILFS
> partition by new udisks(aka DeviceKit-disks).
>
> palimpsest is a graphical tool to manage drives and media of
> gnome-disk-utility project used in ubuntu.
>
> I don't see any Distro updates to support those yet, but at least
> you can try those by retrieving source code repository of those projects.
>
> util-linux-ng:
>  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/util-linux-ng/util-linux-ng.git
> udisks:
>  git://git.freedesktop.org/git/DeviceKit/DeviceKit-disks.git
>
> You need recent util-linux-ng and nilfs2-utils to try the new udisks.
>
> I also working on GNU parted to support NILFS.  The patch is already
> in public, but need some more "paper work" for code assignment.
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/parted-devel/2010-July/003715.html
>
> Any feedbacks, comments, requests for those utilities/patches are welcome!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Regards,
> --
> Jiro SEKIBA <jir-hfpbi5WX9J54Eiagz67IpQ@public.gmane.org>

Thank you very much for your hard work!

I've updated current status page of nilfs.org.

I hope these work will be incorporated in distro packages without
incident.  These are really useful.

Especially, I appreciate this sort of help on userland because my
hands are now full with kernel issues.  I hope you continue to work
with to move things forward.

Thanks,
Ryusuke Konishi