* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2021-09-16 19:18 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2021-09-16 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-September-2021/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2023-12-21  4:05 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2023-12-21  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our website now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-December-2023/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2023-11-28  1:30 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2023-11-28  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our website now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-November-2023/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2023-11-03  9:00 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2023-11-03  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our website now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-October-2023/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2023-10-04 23:48 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2023-10-04 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our website now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-September-2023/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2023-09-05 22:06 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2023-09-05 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our website now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-August-2023/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2023-07-04 16:51 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2023-07-04 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our website now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-June-2023/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2023-05-25  9:07 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2023-05-25  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our website now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-May-2023/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2023-04-16 21:06 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2023-04-16 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our website now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-April-2023/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2023-03-28 20:56 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2023-03-28 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our website now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-March-2023/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2023-02-27 23:35 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2023-02-27 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our website now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-February-2023

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2023-01-20 22:29 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2023-01-20 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our website now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-January-2023

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2022-12-19  0:26 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2022-12-19  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our website now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-December-2022/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2022-11-21 13:43 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2022-11-21 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our website now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-November-2022/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2022-10-21  0:38 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2022-10-21  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our website now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-October-2022/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2022-09-22 17:43 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2022-09-22 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our website now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-September-2022/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2022-08-19 22:13 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2022-08-19 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our website now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-August-2022/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2022-06-14 18:51 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2022-06-14 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-June-2022/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2022-05-11 22:12 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2022-05-11 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-May-2022/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2022-04-13 20:08 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2022-04-13 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-April-2022/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2022-03-18 15:00 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2022-03-18 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-March-2022/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2022-02-14 18:38 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2022-02-14 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-February-2022/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2022-01-17 18:16 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2022-01-17 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-January-2022/

    Till

* Re: [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
       [not found] ` <20211210212022.7818a35d@laptop64>
@ 2021-12-10 22:54   ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2021-12-10 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Radke; +Cc: Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Up to now I have created more or less a working model of the needed
Printer Applications, to find out what is needed in the library's APIs
before making releases of the libraries (libcupsfilters,
libpappl-retrofit). Therefore there are no upstream package releases yet
but Snaps for everything.

With the Snaps I once wanted to find out whether and how CUPS and the
Printer Applications work when snapped (or generally sandboxed) and also
give users a way to quickly download and try out everything without
needing to compile.

I know that with Snaps I cover many distributions (the systemd-based
ones) but not all, as some do not use systemd and others have policies
against Snap, mainly due to the fact that there is currently only one
Snap Store. So Snap is a good platform to quickly get user response for
a new project, without the bureaucracy of getting it into a distro and
without only addressing the users who compile stuff. It also covers many
distributions and so gets a permanent source for many users, especially
also for packages (here printer drivers) which are newer than the distro
release they are using.

What is Arch's situation. Do they not support Snap because they are not
using systemd or is it because of things like the Snap Store "monopoly",
or because of being an easy way to install closed-source software,  or
for other reasons?

Now, as I have put practically all free software printer drivers into
Printer Applications I know that my library's APIs are good enough for
the task and so, as you can read in my December news, I am working on
making the libraries releasable, by testing and debugging them. Then I
will release cups-filters 2.0.x and pappl-retrofit 1.0.x, and after that
also spin upstream releases of the 4 Printer Application, making it easy
for distros to create distro packages in their package format (DEB, RPM,
whatever Arch uses, ...).

The build systems of cups-filters and libpappl-retrofit are already
distro-friendly (derived from cups-filters 1.x), so once we have
releases, creating distro packages should be easy.

The daemons in the Printer Applications are created and controlled by
the PAPPL library project. Should you run into problems packaging the
Printer Applications for a distro where PID 1 is not systemd due to the
starting of the daemon, please report an issue at PAPPL:

https://github.com/michaelrsweet/pappl/issues

This is the state of the art as of now and I naturally want that the
Printer Applications will be packaged in different formats to cover as
many distributions as possible and so reach as many users as possible.
Especially when we are at CUPS 3.x in 2 years, PPD support is dropped in
CUPS and so everyone will need Printer Applications for non-driverless
legacy printers, independent of whether there is some sandboxed
packaging used or not.

We especially need to make sure that printing support in Arch is in a
good shape so that it "just works" for users. Especially see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtsglXhbxno&t=9s

So I would much like that the user experience on Arch is the same as on
Mint, and we from OpenPrinting want to help you on that.

I hope this clarified the situation. Please post if you have any further
questions.

    Till

@ 2021-12-10 19:25 Till Kamppeter
       [not found] ` <20211210212022.7818a35d@laptop64>
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2021-12-10 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-December-2021/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2021-11-13 23:49 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2021-11-13 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-November-2021/

@ 2021-10-13 12:32     ` Zdenek Dohnal
From: Zdenek Dohnal @ 2021-10-13 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: printing-architecture

On 10/13/21 13:57, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> On 13/10/2021 12:28, Zdenek Dohnal wrote:
>> Hi Till,
>>
>> thank you for the news!
>>
>> A note regarding the news:
>>
>> Ad GTK temp queues and cups-browsed usefulness - the feature is
>> implemented only for GTK3+, so apps with older GTKs still needs a
>> permanent queue for local printer (f.e. gimp and thunderbird).
>
> We are already transitioning to GTK4 and there are still apps using GTK2.
Heh, you don't want to know that there are apps even on GTK 1 :) (this
year there was initiative to remove GTK 1 from Fedora, I'm not sure how
it ended - so maybe some GTK 1 packages in other distros as well )
> Does GTK/GNOME upstream still provide fixes for GTK2?
IIRC some critical fixes are still applied, but temp queue functionality
in GTK3 is too complex to backport...

>> And some apps (f.e. firefox) started to use their own print dialog
>> without temp queue support [2], so cups-browsed is still needed for them
>
> I have checked in Ubuntu 21.10 and seen that FF has now a print dialog
> like Chrome, and Thunderbird has this dialog now, too. Nice that they
> add print dialogs with preview but why do they stay so hard on this
> obsolete API?
I guess they just don't know, although I pass my notes from PWG spring
meetup into devel discussions since 2018 and creating wikis with
explanations.

>> and Qt...
>>

> Is there anyone who does anything with the print dialog?
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone from Qt upstream...

>> Additionally, cups-browsed still is the only one automatic way how to
>> get printers from non-local server, until I'll get a time to get my
>> hands on CUPS profiles, together with load balancing, clustering and
>> high availability features of cups-browsed.
>
> What do you mean with this? Do you have any intentions to improve
> cups-browsed? Or even to move parts of its functionality into CUPS?

Aha, sorry - my bad sentence constructions... to keep it simple -
cups-browsed is still needed for clustering, high availability, load
balancing and automatic installation of print queue from other network.

For the last - automatic 'installation' (read as its availability in
print dialog) of print queue(s) from other network, I'm planning to
implement Mike's solution - printer profiles - till CUPS 3.0 is released
(see https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups/issues/207).

But my personal wish - IMHO those cups-browsed features would fit nicely
into CUPS Sharing module in the future, but that's just wish.

>    Till

Zdenek Dohnal
Software Engineer
Red Hat Czech - Brno TPB-C

* Re: [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2021-10-13 11:57   ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2021-10-13 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: printing-architecture

On 13/10/2021 12:28, Zdenek Dohnal wrote:
> Hi Till,
>
> thank you for the news!
>
> A note regarding the news:
>
> Ad GTK temp queues and cups-browsed usefulness - the feature is
> implemented only for GTK3+, so apps with older GTKs still needs a
> permanent queue for local printer (f.e. gimp and thunderbird).

We are already transitioning to GTK4 and there are still apps using
GTK2. Does GTK/GNOME upstream still provide fixes for GTK2?

> Additionally, Brian Potkin from Debian found out some problems with
> ipp-usb supported devices [1], does it work in GTK3 apps in Ubuntu?

I can reproduce his problem on Ubuntu 21.10. I have answered his bug
report. It can also be a bug in CUPS or ipp-usb. The "driverless"
utility of cups-filters at least can correctly communicate with the
printer and obtain a PPD, whereas CUPS (2.3.3op2) seems to have problems
(error when creating queue with '-m everywhere"). So most probably CUPS bug.

@ 2021-10-13 10:28 ` Zdenek Dohnal
From: Zdenek Dohnal @ 2021-10-13 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: printing-architecture

Hi Till,

thank you for the news!

A note regarding the news:

Ad GTK temp queues and cups-browsed usefulness - the feature is
implemented only for GTK3+, so apps with older GTKs still needs a
permanent queue for local printer (f.e. gimp and thunderbird).
Additionally, Brian Potkin from Debian found out some problems with
ipp-usb supported devices [1], does it work in GTK3 apps in Ubuntu?

And some apps (f.e. firefox) started to use their own print dialog
without temp queue support [2], so cups-browsed is still needed for them
and Qt...

Additionally, cups-browsed still is the only one automatic way how to
get printers from non-local server, until I'll get a time to get my
hands on CUPS profiles, together with load balancing, clustering and
high availability features of cups-browsed.

Best regards,

Zdenek

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues/4106

[2] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1983403

On 10/13/21 00:09, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site
> now.
>
> Here we go:
>
> https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-October-2021/
>
>    Till

Zdenek Dohnal
Software Engineer
Red Hat Czech - Brno TPB-C

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2021-10-12 22:09 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2021-10-12 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

@ 2021-08-13 22:17 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2021-08-13 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-August-2021/

@ 2021-07-18 10:50 ` Andreas Radke
From: Andreas Radke @ 2021-07-18 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: printing-architecture

Am Sat, 17 Jul 2021 02:10:04 +0200
schrieb Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web
> site now.
>
> Here we go:
>
> https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-July-2021/
>
>     Till

"Add a migration script so that OS distributions can easily switch over
from classic packages to the CUPS Snap"

I highly doubt major distributions will follow that way. Please make
sure it will be possible to kepp full support with custom
built distribution packages as well.

Arch Linux will never add such official snap support or access to the
snap store at all.

Andy
Arch Linux

[-- Attachment #2: Digitale Signatur von OpenPGP --]

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2021-07-17  0:10 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2021-07-17  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

@ 2021-06-15 11:21 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2021-06-15 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-June-2021/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2021-05-21 16:30 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2021-05-21 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-May-2021/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2021-04-11 12:53 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2021-04-11 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-April-2021/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2021-03-06  0:14 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2021-03-06  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-March-2021/

@ 2021-02-10  6:01 ` Zdenek Dohnal
From: Zdenek Dohnal @ 2021-02-10  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: printing-architecture

Hi Till,

thank you for news!

I'll copy the scp-dbus-service idea from 2020 to this year - let's see
if there is a student interested in it.

Have a nice day,

Zdenek

On 2/9/21 12:13 AM, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site
> now.
>
> Here we go:
>
> https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-February-2021/
>
>    Till

Zdenek Dohnal
Software Engineer
Red Hat Czech - Brno TPB-C

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2021-02-08 23:13 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2021-02-08 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

@ 2021-01-15 20:05 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2021-01-15 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-January-2021/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2020-12-13 20:10 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2020-12-13 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-December-2020/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2020-11-12 22:59 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2020-11-12 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-November-2020/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2020-10-26 19:54 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2020-10-26 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-October-2020/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2020-09-11 18:53 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2020-09-11 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-September-2020/

@ 2020-08-17  6:00   ` Zdenek Dohnal
From: Zdenek Dohnal @ 2020-08-17  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter; +Cc: Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi all,

just one little update:

- lprint is on its way to Fedora
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1867587 - I plan to do an
update for F32+

On 8/14/20 1:42 PM, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> I have done two little updates in my August news post, after getting
> hints from Alexander Pevzner (thanks a lot):
>
> 1. ippusbxd is deprecated now. After Linux distributions switching to
> the better ipp-usb, Chrome OS has created their own ippusb_bridge in
> Rust:
>
> https://github.com/dgreid/platform2/tree/master/ippusb_bridge
>
> 2. sane-airscan is now in updates-testing repository for Fedora 32
>
>    Till
>

> On 14/08/2020 08:29, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web
>> site now.
>>
>> Here we go:
>>
>> https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-August-2020/
>>
>>     Till

Zdenek Dohnal
Software Engineer
Red Hat Czech - Brno TPB-C

* Re: [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2020-08-14 11:42 ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2020-08-14 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

@ 2020-08-14  6:29 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2020-08-14  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

@ 2020-07-10 18:57 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2020-07-10 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-July-2020/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2020-06-05 22:58 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2020-06-05 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-June-2020/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2020-05-18 21:27 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2020-05-18 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-May-2020/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2020-04-11  8:32 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2020-04-11  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-April-2020/

@ 2020-03-23  6:03 ` Zdenek Dohnal
From: Zdenek Dohnal @ 2020-03-23  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: printing-architecture

Thank you for the update, Till!

And thank you and Mike for detailed description of printer application
behavior!

On 3/20/20 11:18 PM, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site
> now.
>
> Here we go:
>
> https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-March-2020/
>
>    Till

Zdenek Dohnal
Software Engineer
Red Hat Czech - Brno TPB-C

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2020-03-20 22:18 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2020-03-20 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

@ 2020-02-17 11:19 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2020-02-17 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-February-2020/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2020-01-17 21:24 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2020-01-17 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-January-2020/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2019-12-14  0:44 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2019-12-14  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-December-2019/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2019-11-06 23:06 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2019-11-06 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

I have posted the newest development of the last month on our web site now.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-November-2019/

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2019-09-03 21:16 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2019-09-03 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

here is the newest development of the last month.

    Till

----------

Google Summer of Code 2019
--------------------------

Coding ended and the final evaluations are completed, the completed
projects officially announced by Google.

For the Linux Foundation we got 12 student slots in the beginning and
after 1 stucent dropping out before coding started we had 11 students
working. 2 failed in the second and 2 in the final evaluations, leaving
7 having completed their GSoC projects.

This is the worst year in terms of failing students for us.

For OpenPrinting there started 5 students and and 1 failed in the final
evaluation. The other 4 completed the program successfully.

Here are the projects with their submitted work product links:

1. Generic Framework to turn legacy drivers consisting of CUPS filters
and PPDs into Printer Applications

Student: Dheeraj Yadav
Mentor: Till Kamppeter

https://gist.github.com/dheeraj135/852733a6944d2f7ede670fe9d3d0ac6a

PASSED

Dheeraj will soon work with Sahil to get his Printer Application
framework documented on the new OpenPrinting web site.

2. Improve the pdftoraster filter to not use undocumented/unstable APIs
of Poppler

Student: Tanmay Anand
Mentor: Sahil Arora

https://github.com/tanmayanand44/cups-filters-gsoc19/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code-2019-%7C-The-Linux-Foundation-%7C-Improving-pdftoraster-filter-to-use-stable-Poppler-APIs

PASSED

Tanmay completed his original project already in the first month. We
asked him whether he would take a project for the rest of the time and
he accepted. So he worked also on the adapter backend for the GTK3 print
dialog to use the Common Print Dialog Backends (CPDB). Mentor for this
project is Dongxu Li. He did not complete this at the end of the GSoC
but promised to complete it after GSoC.

3. IPP: ipptool test suite updates for IPP errata updates

Student: Sharad Shukla
Mentors: Smith Kennedy, Ira McDonald, Danny Brennan

https://github.com/Sharadd15/ippsample/wiki/Gsoc-2k19-%7C-OpenPrinting-%7C-The-Linux-Foundation-%7C-Ipptool-test-suite-updates-for-IPP-errata-updates

PASSED

Sharad will soon complete his not yet completed assignment of the
bannertopdf filter also supporting the old bannertops input format.

4. ipptool test suite for IPP System Service

Student: Aakash Lahoti
Mentors: Smith Kennedy, Ira McDonald, Danny Brennan

https://github.com/aakashlahoti/Google-Summer-Of-Code-2019-The-Linux-Foundation

PASSED

5. Turn the scp-dbus-service of system-config-printer into C

Student: Sobhan Mondal
Mentors: Zdenek Dohnal

https://github.com/sobhaniiest/scp-dbus-service

FAILED (final evaluation)

Sobhan promised to complete his work after GSoC.

The project results will also get added to the new OpenPrinting web site.

Avahi
-----

Mike Sweet has posted on the

https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/issues/125

and he is of the same opinion as me that the DNS-SD records of local
services via the loopback ("lo") device should carry the "localhost"
host name and not the network host name of the machine:

----------
If Avahi returns 127.0.0.1 as one of the addresses for a .local lookup,
that will cause some serious security problems when machine A (a.local.)
looks up machine B ("b.local.") and gets its own loopback address. By
returning localhost ("localhost.") that security issue is avoided.

Keep in mind as well that when CUPS tries to connect to a
printer/server, it tries all of the addresses returned by a lookup in
parallel until one of the connections succeeds. Since CUPS also
validates the Host: header in requests (and block any attempt to
communicate with cupsd over the loopback interface if the hostname is
not "localhost" or "localhost."), this will result in a successful
connection but a failed request, breaking printing.

So you really do need to return "localhost" for services registered on
the loopback interface.
----------

No reaction from Trent Lloyd yet.

OpenPrinting web site
---------------------

Now with the GSoC completed we are resuming our work on the web site
with Sahil leading the project.

Most of the site is in place, most important part to add now are the
results of the 5 GSoC projects of this year.

Also we need to link to the OpenPrinting database interface web app:

https://github.com/OpenPrinting/openprinting.github.io/issues/55

We will continue using this web app and the MySQL database (which we now
feed from the foomatic-db repository on GitHub) as it is not worthwhile
(possible?) to implement a replacement on it running on GitHub.

The web app needs to get the outfit of our new web site:

https://github.com/OpenPrinting/openprinting.github.io/issues/58

CUPS
----

2.3.0 released.

CUPS 2.3.0 is finally out! And the licensing resolved! With more than
one year or 3 Ubuntu releases of delay it appeared on Fri, August 23,
the day after Ubuntu Eoan (19.10) Feature Freeze. The license solution
is that the Apache 2.0 license gets an exception added which allows
linking with (L)GPL software, so cups-filters and other software using
the CUPS library does not need any license change.

For new features see Mike's slides of the last OpenPrinting Summit:

https://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/liaison/openprinting/presentations/cups-plenary-april-19.pdf

Changes in CUPS v2.3.1
----------------------

- Fixed spelling of "fold-accordion".

Changes in CUPS v2.3.0
----------------------

- CVE-2019-8696 and CVE-2019-8675: Fixed SNMP buffer overflows
   (rdar://51685251)
- Added a GPL2/LGPL2 exception to the new CUPS license terms.
- Documentation updates (Issue #5604)
- Localization updates (Issue #5637)
- Fixed a bug in the scheduler job cleanup code (Issue #5588)
- Fixed builds when there is no TLS library (Issue #5590)
- Eliminated some new GCC compiler warnings (Issue #5591)
- Removed dead code from the scheduler (Issue #5593)
- "make" failed with GZIP options (Issue #5595)
- Fixed potential excess logging from the scheduler when removing job
   files (Issue #5597)
- Fixed a NULL pointer dereference bug in `httpGetSubField2` (Issue
   #5598)
- Added FIPS-140 workarounds for GNU TLS (Issue #5601, Issue #5622)
- The scheduler no longer provides a default value for the description
   (Issue #5603)
- The scheduler now logs jobs held for authentication using the error
   level so it is clear what happened (Issue #5604)
- The `lpadmin` command did not always update the PPD file for changes
   to the `cupsIPPSupplies` and `cupsSNMPSupplies` keywords (Issue #5610)
- The scheduler now uses both the group's membership list as well as the
   various OS-specific membership functions to determine whether a user
   belongs to a named group (Issue #5613)
- Added USB quirks rule for HP LaserJet 1015 (Issue #5617)
- Fixed some PPD parser issues (Issue #5623, Issue #5624)
- The IPP parser no longer allows invalid member attributes in
   collections (Issue #5630)
- The configure script now treats the "wheel" group as a potential
   system group (Issue #5638)
- Fixed a USB printing issue on macOS (rdar://31433931)
- Fixed IPP buffer overflow (rdar://50035411)
- Fixed memory disclosure issue in the scheduler (rdar://51373853)
- Fixed DoS issues in the scheduler (rdar://51373929)
- Fixed an issue with unsupported "sides" values in the IPP backend
   (rdar://51775322)
- The scheduler would restart continuously when idle and printers were
   not shared (rdar://52561199)
- Fixed an issue with `EXPECT !name WITH-VALUE ...` tests.
- Fixed a command ordering issue in the Zebra ZPL driver.
- Fixed a memory leak in `ppdOpen`.

No changes on 2.2.x branch.

cups-filters
------------

Currently released is 1.25.4.

Many releases happened during the short time to get bug fixes into the
upcoming Ubuntu 19.10 (Eoan).

1.25.5:

Bug fix release, mainly for cups-browsed not to die on left over locally
generated queues of unclaen shutdown of the previous session.

1.25.4:

Bug fix release for the page geometry and CUPS Raster output issues in
the imagetoraster, imagetopdf, and pdftoraster filters.

1.25.3:

Bug fix release, especially to fix a compatibility issue with CUPS 2.2.12.

1.25.2:

Improved cups-browsed's handling of the DNS-SD records of advertised
local and remote IPP print services. Especially make sure that local
queues do not get already removed when the service on a single network
interface disappears (for example Wi-Fi turned off) while still present
on other interfaces. Also let local services preferably be accessed
through the loopback ("localhost") interface to avoid data leaks into
the network.

CHANGES IN V1.25.5

	- rastertopdf: Let the getIPPColorProfileName() function not
	  return a pointer to a local variable (clang warning, Issue
	  #150).
	- cups-browsed: If a locally generated queue (usually with
           "implicitclass://..." URI) left over from a previous
           (crashed) session is picked up on startup, do not set the
           URI as the remote printer's URI and do not cause a fatal
           error on a failed get-printer-attributes IPP request (Issue
           #148, Debian bug #939316).
	- pdftopdf: Do not preserve encryption, since the output
           already goes into the printer (Issue #146, Pull request
           #147).

CHANGES IN V1.25.4

	- imagetoraster: Do not call imagetops and pstoraster for
	  classifications and page labels as these filters are not
	  included any more with cups-filters.  Classifications and
	  page labels are currently not supported for direct image
	  printing, only for PDF or PostScript input (which goes
	  through pdftopdf).
	- imagetoraster, imagetopdf: Fixed auto-rotation of images to
	  fit output page best (Issue #145).
	- pdftoraster: If the PPD contains several equally-sized page
	  size entries which match the size of the input page and one
	  is the size selected by the user via the "PageSize" or
	  "media" option (or the default selection in the PPD) then
	  prefer this one instead of simply the first matching one.
	- pdftoraster: If the input page size cannot be matched with
	  one of the PPD's page sizes it is considered a custom size,
	  fill the page size name field of the CUPS Raster header with
	  "Custom.XXXxYYY" then.
	- pdftoraster: Match the input page size with a page size in
	  the PPD only if the differences of the dimensions are less
	  than 1%, also match the input page size against the
	  imageable area of the PPD's page sizes if no match with the
	  full page size is found (Issue #138).

CHANGES IN V1.25.3

	- Sample PPDs: In HP-Color_LaserJet_CM3530_MFP-PDF.ppd renamed
	  "custom" choice of the option "stapleoption" to "customsize"
	  as from CUPS 2.2.12 on "custom" is not accepted any more as a
	  choice name in a PPD file.
	- cups-browsed: Fixed check whether the remote printer
	  understands PWG Raster (Issue #141).

CHANGES IN V1.25.2

	- foomatic-rip: Fixed segmentation fault when running
	  foomatic-rip by hand and the PRINTER environment variable is
	  not set (Pull request #139).
	- cups-browsed: Added note to cups-browsed.conf and man page
	  about IP-based URIs depending on the network interface used.
	- cups-browsed: For each DNS-SD-discovered printer register
	  each DNS-SD discovery instance with network interface,
	  family, and IPP type. When DNS-SD messages of instances
	  disappearing show up, only unregister this instance and
	  remove the printer only if no instance is left. This
	  prevents a local queue of a still available printer being
	  removed when Wi-Fi (= one interface) is turned off (Issue
	  #136).
	- cups-browsed: If a remote printer is served from the local
	  machine, prefer the "localhost"/loopback interface URI.
	- cups-browsed: If a remote printer is discovered more than
	  once, use the new instance only if it has no downgrades and
	  at least one upgrade compared to the old one. Features
	  currently compared are IPP/IPPS, loopback interface or not,
	  and discovery via CUPS legacy/LDAP/DNS-SD.
	- cups-browsed: If an Avahi-discovered entry comes through the
	  "lo" interface, always use the host name "localhost". Use
	  IP addresses instead of host names only if explicitly
	  requested.
	- cups-browsed: Consider remote printer entries also as from
	  the same printer if one has the local machine's network name
	  and the other "localhost" as host name (Issue #136).

ippusbxd
--------

No further news.

Common Print Dialog Backends
----------------------------

When packaging CUPS 2.2.12 for Ubuntu Eoan (19.10) the automatic tests
of Ubuntu's build servers failed cpdb-libs and after several days of
debugging I found out that libcups is not initializing some glbal
variables with default host name, port, domain socket file for the local
CUPS server in some cases. This prevented the CUPS backend from
accessing the printer's capabilities via get-printer-attributes IPP
request and I had to apply a workaround in the cpdb-backend-cups project.

Upstream bug report on CUPS:

https://github.com/apple/cups/issues/5642

Workaround:

https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cpdb-backend-cups/commit/d8d7aa10

Released cpdb-backend-cups 1.1.1 with the fix:

- Added "ippPort()" call to the beginning of the program, to initialize
libcups (Issue #2)

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2019-08-07 12:44 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2019-08-07 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald; +Cc: Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

here is the newest development of the last 2 months.

    Till

----------

Google Summer of Code 2019
--------------------------

Second evaluations are done now GSoC coding will end in around 3 weeks.

The 5 students for OpenPrinting have all passed, but from all the 11 for
the Linux Foundation 2 have failed.

Dheeraj has already succeeded to make a Printer Application from HPLIP
and now his task is to get a general framework which allows easy
packaging of any classic printer driver package as a Printer Application.

See his work on GitHub:

https://github.com/dheeraj135/Printer-Applications-Framework
https://github.com/dheeraj135/Printer-Application-Snaps

Tanmay has finished the original task with which he has entered the GSoc
already at the first evaluation round. His work of changing the
pdftoraster filter of cups-filters to use only documented, stable APIs
of Poppler is already integrated in cups-filters and released in version
1.25.1 of cups-filters (see below).

Now he is working on the adapter backend for the GTK-3.x print dialog to
use the Common Print Dialog Backends (CPDB). Maintainership got
overtaken by Dongxu Li now.

The other OpenPrinting Students seem to do well, too, according to the
second evaluation and mail traffic between Sharad and Mike Sweet.

Aveek Basu and me, we will attend the GSoC Mentor Summit in Munich this
year, October 17-20.

Avahi
-----

Dheeraj has reported a bug in cups-browsed caused by the several network
interfaces reporting one and the same service via DNS-SD
(https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups-filters/issues/136) and this made
me put some more thoughts on the Avahi problem. See my last posts on the
Avahi issue

https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/issues/125

and also my posts on the Printing Architecture mailing list

https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/printing-architecture/2019/003718.html
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/printing-architecture/2019/003720.html
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/printing-architecture/2019/003719.html

In his only answer to my patch (in April) Trent Lloyd tells that he
would accept my first part of the patch which adds the support for
advertising services on the loopback interface ("lo", host name
"localhost") but not the second part (contributed by Rithvik) which
makes the DNS-SD records coming from the loopback ingterface using
"localhost" as the host name and not the machines network host name as
then Avahi would make an exception for the loopback interface.

But as each DNS-SD record has to be consistent by itself and independent
of the others (even independent of the others for the same service) in
my opinion the records from loopback should carry the "localhost" host
name, as otherwise a client would build URIs using the network host name
and this does never resolve to the local 127.0.0.1 / ::1 IP address,
making pure local services like ippusbxd not working and letting data
intended for local use only detour through the external network when a
network IP gets used (privacy and resource usage problems). This would
especially get a problem when drivers for USB printers are distributed
as Printer Applications.

I posted on the Printing Architecture mailing list then and Michael
Sweet answered, being also of my opinion and not of Trent's, he also
says that Avahi should deliver the DNS-SD record of the loopback (“lo”)
interface with the “localhost” host name.

I asked Mike to post on the Avahi issue on GitHub but he did not do so yet.

Not further answer by Trent yet as he has still urgent work to do in his
day job.

OpenPrinting web site
---------------------

No further news.

CUPS
----

2.3.0rc1 released.

The state of the art of Apple's licensing has still to be determined.

Changes in CUPS v2.3.0
----------------------

   #5598)
[...]

Changes in CUPS v2.3rc1
-----------------------

- The `cups-config` script no longer adds extra libraries when linking
   against shared libraries (Issue #5261)
- The supplied example print documents have been optimized for size
   (Issue #5529)
- The `cupsctl` command now prevents setting "cups-files.conf"
   directives (Issue #5530)
- The "forbidden" message in the web interface is now explained (Issue
   #5547)
- The footer in the web interface covered some content on small displays
   (Issue #5574)
- The libusb-based USB backend now enforces read limits, improving print
   speed in many cases (Issue #5583)
- The `ippeveprinter` command now looks for print commands in the
   "command" subdirectory.
- The `ipptool` command now supports `$date-current` and `$date-start`
   variables to insert the current and starting date and time values, as
   well as ISO-8601 relative time values such as "PT30S" for 30 seconds
   in the future.

No changes on 2.2.x branch.

cups-filters
------------

Currently released is 1.25.1.

1.25.2:

Improved cups-browsed's handling of the DNS-SD records of advertised
local and remote IPP print services. Especially make sure that local
queues do not get already removed when the service on a single network
interface disappears (for example Wi-Fi turned off) while still present
on other interfaces. Also let local services preferably be accessed
through the loopback ("localhost") interface to avoid data leaks into
the network.

1.25.1:

Bug fix release for the filters, mainly for the new pdftoraster filter.

1.25.0:

In this release the pdftoraster filter is changed to only use
stable/documented APIs of Poppler (Tanmay Anand's Google Summer of Code
2019 project) and the deprecated, Poppler-based filters pdftoijs and
pdftoopvp are finally completely removed. Now Poppler is only used for
the pdftoraster filter. Poppler's unstable/internal APIs are nowhere
used any more in cups-filters.

CHANGES IN V1.25.2

	  #136).
	- cups-browsed: If a remote printer is served from the local
	  machine, prefer the "localhost"/loopback interface URI.
	- cups-browsed: If a remote printer is discovered more than
	  once, use the new instance only if it has no downgrades and
	  at least one upgrade compared to the old one. Features
	  currently compared are IPP/IPPS, loopback interface or not,
	  and discovery via CUPS legacy/LDAP/DNS-SD.
	- cups-browsed: If an Avahi-discovered entry comes through the
	  "lo" interface, always use the host name "localhost". Use
	  IP addresses instead of host names only if explicitly
	  requested.
	- cups-browsed: Consider remote printer entries also as from
	  the same printer if one has the local machine's network name
	  and the other "localhost" as host name (Issue #136).

CHANGES IN V1.25.1

	- imagetopdf: Fixed crash when no PPD file was supplied (Pull
	  request #133).
	- pdftoraster: Fixed offset issues leading to segmentation
	  faults (Issue #131, Pull request #132).
	- pdftoraster: Added anti-aliasing for better raster image
	  quality (Pull request #129).
	- pdftoraster: Added graceful handling of zero-page input
	  (Issue #117, Pull request #127).

CHANGES IN V1.25.0

	- pdftoijs, pdftoopvp: Removed these deprecated filters
	  completely as there is no demand for them any more. They
	  also used unstable, undocumented APIs of Poppler.
	- pdftoraster: Changed from using unstable, undocumented APIs
	  of Poppler to stable, documented ones, to improve
	  maintainability of this filter, and with it of the
	  cups-filters package. Thanks to Tanmay Anand for
	  contributing this as his Google Summer of Code 2019 project.
	- libcupsfilters: Added support for color spaces CMY and RGBW
	  when using filters without PPD file (mainly for development
	  and debugging, option "print-color-mode" with values
	  "cmy-XX" and "rgbw-XX" with XX being the number of bits per
	  color).

ippusbxd
--------

David Valleau from Google tells that ippusbxd works well on HP, Canon,
and Epson printers under Chrome OS.

No code changes.

* Re: [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2019-06-04 11:24 ` Zdenek Dohnal
From: Zdenek Dohnal @ 2019-06-04 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter, Ira McDonald; +Cc: Aveek Basu, Open Printing

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 10957 bytes --]

Hi all,

_Turn scp-dbus-service.py to C project update:_

Sobhan started to code one week earlier, he is currently working on
methods which dbus interface uses plus Makefile.

His github with project https://github.com/sobhaniiest/scp-dbus-service

On 6/4/19 12:41 PM, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> [...]
>       combinations not fulfillable by any of the member printers,
>       and finding reasonable, non-conflicting default settings,
>     - cups-browsed: Selection algorithm for the destination
>       printer for a job sent to the cluster. Based on the job
>       settings requested such as page size, media type, print
>       quality, ... the best most suitable printer in the cluster
>       for the job will be selected.
>     - cups-browsed, implicitclass: Filter jobs to clusters already
>       locally. Due to the fact that a cluster's member printers
>       are not exclusively non-raw CUPS queues with the complete
>       filtering framework on the remote server, but also native
>       IPP printers, we need to support generic driverless printers
>       as destination. So we cannot pass on the input data
>       unfiltered but need to filter locally. We let the cluster's
>       PPD file emulate a PDF printer, letting the local CUPS queue
>       of the cluster run pdftopdf and any pre-filters to turn the
>       input into PDF and we let the implicitclass backend turn PDF
>       into a format understood by the destination printer,
>       supporting the 4 formats of driverless IPP printing: PDF,
>       PWG Raster, Apple Raster, PCLm.
>
> CHANGES IN V1.23.0
>
>     - pdftops, mupdftoraster: Let pdftops call mutool directly and
>       so that it directly outputs PostScript, eliminating the need
>       to call the mupdftoraster and rastertops filters.
>     - mupdftoraster: Reduced the use of temporary files from 3 to
>       just one.
>     - imagetopdf, imagetoraster, pdftopdf: Add support for
>       print-scaling option (Issue #108, Pull request #118).
>
> CHANGES IN V1.22.6
>
>     - rastertops: Fixed PageSize settings in the PostScript output
>       (Must be in points not in pixels).
>     - pdftops, mupdftoraster: Produce actual grayscale/monochrome
>       PostScript (and not only instructions to print grayscale/
>       monochrome) for jobs to be printed in grayscale/monochrome
>       (Issue #96, Pull request #115).
>     - mupdftoraster: Fixed filter not producing output at all.
>     - Build system: ENABLE_DRIVERLESS got only defined with CUPS
>       1.6 and newer, not with older CUPS versions (Issue #111).
>     - pdftopdf, imagetopdf, imagetoraster: Silenced compiler
>           warnings.
>     - cups-browsed, driverless: Replaced httpConnect() calls by
>       httpConnect2() calls as the former CUPS library function is
>       deprecated.
>     - Build system: Compile everything using the CUPS libraries
>       with '-D_PPD_DEPRECATED=""' for the time being until the
>       deprecated PPD API calls get replaced, to stop the flooding
>       with PPD API deprecation warnings making more important
>       warnings being overlooked.
>     - cups-browsed: When removing a local queue on shutdown or
>       when DNS-SD reports the printer as disappeared check whether
>       the local queue got overwritten by an external process as
>       sometimes the shutdown or disappearing event comes too close
>       for cups-browsed receiving a printer-modified notification

Zdenek Dohnal
Software Engineer
Red Hat Czech - Brno TPB-C

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 15132 bytes --]

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2019-06-04 10:41 Till Kamppeter

   #5587)

@ 2019-05-12 18:48   ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2019-05-12 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Apitz; +Cc: Aveek Basu, Open Printing

On 12/05/2019 20:15, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> I updated last week to 2.3b8 and found this issue fixed. But, I can't
> see it in the list of 2.3b8 fixes. Any idea?

These lists are simple copy and paste of the upstream ChangeLog
(CHANGES.md) of CUPS, not only the one of 2.3b8 in this mail but also
for 2.3b6 and 2.3b7 in earlier mails to this list. If your fix does not
appear in none of them, please ask on the CUPS mailing list (see
http://www.cups.org/).

@ 2019-05-12 18:15 ` Matthias Apitz
From: Matthias Apitz @ 2019-05-12 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter; +Cc: Aveek Basu, Open Printing

El día domingo, mayo 12, 2019 a las 06:03:03p. m. +0200, Till Kamppeter escribió:

> Hi,
>
> here is the newest development of the last month.
>
>     Till

Hi,

Thanks for the update. Re/ cups 2.3b8: I run 2.3b5 and encountered the
problem that the user id of the session running lpr(1) was not seen
correctly by the cupsd(8) and all jobs ended up as from user 'anonymous'.
This is especially an issue for the cups-pdf backend placing all PDF
into wrong location /var/spool/cups-pdf/ANONYMOUS

I updated last week to 2.3b8 and found this issue fixed. But, I can't
see it in the list of 2.3b8 fixes. Any idea?

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
May, 9: Спаси́бо освободители! Thank you very much, Russian liberators!

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2019-05-12 16:03 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2019-05-12 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald; +Cc: Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

here is the newest development of the last month.

    Till

----------

Google Summer of Code 2019
--------------------------

Google has distributed the slots and officially announced the accepted
proposals. The Linux Foundation has got all the 12 requested slots, so
we can have all our 5 selected students working for OpenPrinting.

1. Generic Framework to turn legacy drivers consisting of CUPS filters
and PPDs into Printer Applications

Student: Dheeraj Yadav
Mentor: Till Kamppeter

2. Improve the pdftoraster filter to not use undocumented/unstable APIs
of Poppler

Student: Tanmay Anand
Mentor: Sahil Arora

3. IPP: ipptool test suite updates for IPP errata updates

Student: Sharad Shukla
Mentors: Smith Kennedy, Ira McDonald, Danny Brennan

4. ipptool test suite for IPP System Service

Student: Aakash Lahoti
Mentors: Smith Kennedy, Ira McDonald, Danny Brennan

5. Turn the scp-dbus-service of system-config-printer into C

Student: Sobhan Mondal
Mentors: Zdenek Dohnal

The students who had assignments during the selection process are
currently finishing them and they also partially started to work on
their projects.

Avahi
-----

Not continued yet by Trent as he has still urgent work to do.

OpenPrinting web site
---------------------

Not much done here as the 2019 students workded on cups-filters issues
which they got as assignments during the selection process, started also
on work for the actual GSoC project and had exams at school.

Sahil is currentyly re-initiating the process.

CUPS
----

   #5540)
- Localization updates (Issue #5461, Issues #5471, Issue #5481, Issue
   #5486, Issue #5489, Issue #5491, Issue #5492, Issue #5493, Issue
   #5494, Issue #5495, Issue #5497, Issue #5499, Issue #5500, Issue
   #5501, Issue #5504)
- The scheduler did not always idle exit as quickly as it could.
- Added a new `ippeveprinter` command based on the old ippserver sample
   code.

2.22.11 released.

CUPS 2.2.11 is a bug fix release that addresses issues in the scheduler,
IPP Everywhere support, CUPS library, and USB printer support.

Changes in CUPS v2.2.11
-----------------------

- Running ppdmerge with the same input and output filenames did not work
   as advertised (Issue #5455)
- Fixed a potential memory leak when reading at the end of a file (Issue
   #5533)
- Fixed some PPD caching and IPP Everywhere PPD accounting/password bugs
   (Issue #5535)
- Fixed `PreserveJobHistory` bug with time values (Issue #5538)
- Media size matching now uses a tolerance of 0.5mm (rdar://33822024)
- The lpadmin command would hang with a bad PPD file (rdar://41495016)
- Fixed a potential crash bug in cups-driverd (rdar://46625579)
- Fixed a performance regression with large PPDs (rdar://47040759)
- The scheduler did not always idle exit as quickly as it could.

cups-filters
------------

Currently released is 1.22.5.

1.22.5 is also the cups-filters release in Ubuntu 19.04 (Disco).

Deepak Patankar has finished his GSoC 2018 project of auto-selection
of the destination printer by job content and options with cups-browsed.
Together with this he has also made cups-browsed not downloading PPD
files of remote CUPS queues from the servers any more and treating
remote CUPS queues and native IPP network printers equally, working
towards the deprecation of PPD files.

He has posted a pull request with all his code:

https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups-filters/pull/116

Before merging this pull request I will release 1.22.6 with all the bug
fixes which came together during the last month and also with some fixes
coming up in the next days of the last assignments getting finished.

After that I will merge the pull request and after some testing release
1.23.0 as the next feature release ending a feature-less year for
cups-browsed.

1.22.5:

Bug fix release, to make foomatic-rip working with Ghostscript 9.27 and
later.

CHANGES IN V1.22.6

[...]

CHANGES IN V1.22.5

	- foomatic-rip: Changed Ghostscript call to count pages in a
	  PDF file to use "runpdfbegin" and not the undocumented
	  Ghostscript internal "pdfdict", so that it works with
	  Ghostscript 9.27 and later (Debian bug #926576, Arch Linux
	  bug #62251).

ippusbxd
--------

On the Summit I have talked about the following two issues in ippusbxd
with Sean Kau from Google (and also mailed to David Valleau from Google,
no answer yet):

First, if I have a printer/scanner multi-function device connected via
USB and ippusbxd is connected to it I can print perfectly, driverless
via IPP, but I cannot scan as, unfortunately, the industry did not adopt
the PWG driverless IPP scanning standard yet. And if I want to scan via
a classic SANE driver accessing via USB conventionally, it does not work
because ippusbxd occupies all USB interfaces/channels.

So I am asking whether one could modify ippusbxd to dynamically occupy
channels, so that, at least when no print job is running, one can scan
the conventional USB/SANE way. Is this possible?

One should note that not all multi-function devices have a scanning UI
in their admin web interface and that these UIs are rather restricted
compared to typical SANE frontends.

The second issue is

https://github.com/tillkamppeter/ippusbxd/pull/12

Adding Support for Unix Domain Sockets

I have asked whether this is still used in Chrome OS? If so, I asked for
re-posting this pull request to the now official repo
https://github.com/OpenPrinting/ippusbxd of ippusbxd.

No actual changes on the code.

* Re: [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2019-04-07 15:38 ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2019-04-07 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald; +Cc: Aveek Basu, Open Printing

And another update below.

    Till

----------

Google Summer of Code 2019
--------------------------

We got five student proposals for OpenPrinting. The students have all
submitted their applications to Google now, so that we only need to hope
for enough slots.

The projects are:

Generic Framework to turn legacy drivers consisting of CUPS filters and
PPDs into Printer Applications  by  Dheeraj Yadav

Improve the pdftoraster filter to not need copying Poppler source code
or using unstable APIs  by  Tanmay Anand

IPP: ipptool test suite updates for IPP errata updates  by  Sharad Shukla

IPP: ipptool test suite for IPP System Service  by  Aakash Sunil Lahoti

Turn the scp-dbus-service of system-config-printer into C  by  Sobhan Mondal

@ 2019-04-07 15:28     ` Ira McDonald
From: Ira McDonald @ 2019-04-07 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter; +Cc: Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi Till,

Thanks.  I'll get the OP Monthly minutes out today or tomorrow.  Just
finished my ESCAR USA
paper review submissions (deadline was today).  Busy weekend.

Cheers,
- Ira

Co-Chair - TCG Metadata Access Protocol SG
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic@gmail.com
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434

@ 2019-04-07 15:21   ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2019-04-07 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald; +Cc: Aveek Basu, Open Printing

@ 2019-04-05 19:20 ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2019-04-05 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald; +Cc: Aveek Basu, Open Printing

UPDATE: I have released cups-filters 1.22.4 now.

    Till

On 05/04/2019 17:10, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> cups-filters
> ------------
>
> Note that due to the fact that we have given GitHub issues of
> cups-filters to students as assignments for the GSoC 2019 student
> selection process I have checked through the issues and (together with
> issues which I have closed and which I have fixed by myself) reduced the
> number of issues from 26 to 18.
>
> I will release 1.22.4 still for Ubuntu 19.04.
>
> Currently released is 1.22.3.

[...]

* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2019-04-05 15:10 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2019-04-05 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald; +Cc: Aveek Basu, Open Printing

@ 2019-03-06 14:55 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2019-03-06 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald; +Cc: Aveek Basu, Open Printing

Hi,

here is the newest development of the last month.

    Till

----------

Google Summer of Code 2019
--------------------------

The Linux Foundation

Avahi
-----

Trent Lloyd is one of the original authors of Avahi (the other is
Lennart Poettering), which makes it more difficult to take the project
away from him.

I was on a Canonical meeting for a week where the different engineering
teams of Canonical meet. There I have met Trent in person and talked
with him about the issue and he told it is no problem for him to merge
the patch. I met him on the first day of the meeting and he promised to
still apply the patch during the meeting week but he did not.

Now I have sent two weekly reminder e-mails and he did not even answer.

So on the OpenPrinting Summit we must see with the Google guys how they
will do the ippusbxd and Printer Applications (local discovery) on
Chrome OS and perhaps overtake this to Linux.

Kurt Pfeifle (kurt dot pfeifle at gmail dot com, the person who made me
finding CUPS back in 2000 and getting what I am now) writes on the
OpenPrinting mailing list:

----------
On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 1:17 AM Solomon Peachy <pizza@shaftnet.org> wrote:

     On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 10:26:29PM +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:
     > By the way, who is the original author of Avahi?

     None other than Lennart Pottering.  :)

      - Solomon

This is not correct.

Avahi was initially created by Trend Lloyd in early 2004. He was
certainly inspired by Apple's Bonjour, which unfortunately was not Open
Source initially, so there as a strong motivation to implement a FOSS
ZeroConf stack, since all of the relevant specs (mDNS + DNS-SD) were
already there at IETF, and open.

Later that same year Lennart Poettering started a similar project to
implement mDNS/DNS-SD functionality called "FlexMDNS".

Both projects united and merged their code bases sometime in 2005.
Though I have no idea which of the two guys wrote more lines of code
that still exists in today's code base, Poettering surely had a heavy
impact on today's Avahi.

Apple released Bonjour as Open Source software under the Apache License
only in 2006.

Avahi's name certainly was Trend's decision, and he started his
implementation half a year before Poettering.

Poettering's last commit into Avahi's GitHub code was in Sept  2012.
Trend's last commit was 10 days ago. The last time Trend merged a major
pull request was in August 2018. See
https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/commits?author=lathiat.

  According to https://github.com/lathiat Trend works for Canonical.
----------

CUPS
----

No new releases.

cups-filters
------------

Currently released is 1.22.1.

Bug fix release, mainly to let the get-printer-attributes IPP requests
for auto-generating PPD files for driverless IPP printing use the same
attributes as CUPS uses. There are also some small enhancements for
Braille support.

CHANGES IN V1.22.2

	- cups-browsed: Do not do IPP request for printer-is-shared
           option for remote cups queues with CUPS 2.2.x and newer
           (Pull request #91).
	- cups-browsed: Fix crash bug when reading "Cluster"
	  directive from configuration file (Issue #94).
	- driverless: Updated man page as now also Mopria and
	  Wi-Fi Direct printers are supported. Mentioned also
	  ippusbxd.

CHANGES IN V1.22.1

	- braille: Use sort command with LC_ALL=C for reproducibility
	  of the genrated files, needed for distribution packaging.
	- cups-browsed, driverless: When polling the printer's
           capabilities via get-printer-attributes IPP request for
           driverless printing, use the attributes "all" and
           "media-col-database". Without "all" some printers do not
           report "urf-supported" and without "media-col-database" not
           all paper size and marging info gets reported (Issue #22,
           Pull request #86, CUPS issue #5484).
	- braille: Document how to rework output before
	  embossing. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for this patch (Pull
	  request #90).

ippusbxd
--------

No further news.

* Re: [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2019-02-14 23:43           ` Kurt Pfeifle
From: Kurt Pfeifle @ 2019-02-14 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: printing-architecture

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 9:58 PM Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 14/02/2019 18:49, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> > This is not correct.
> >
> > Avahi was initially created by Trend Lloyd in early 2004. He was
> > certainly inspired by Apple's Bonjour, which unfortunately was not Open
> > Source initially, so there as a strong motivation to implement a FOSS
> > ZeroConf stack, since all of the relevant specs (mDNS + DNS-SD) were
> > already there at IETF, and open.
> >
> > Later that same year Lennart Poettering started a similar project to
> > implement mDNS/DNS-SD functionality called "FlexMDNS".
> >
> > Both projects united and merged their code bases sometime in 2005.
> > Though I have no idea which of the two guys wrote more lines of code
> > that still exists in today's code base, Poettering surely had a heavy
> > impact on today's Avahi.
> >
> > Apple released Bonjour as Open Source software under the Apache License
> > only in 2006.
> >
> > Avahi's name certainly was Trend's decision, and he started his
> > implementation half a year before Poettering.
> >
> > Poettering's last commit into Avahi's GitHub code was in Sept  2012.
> > Trend's last commit was 10 days ago. The last time Trend merged a major
> > pull request was in August 2018. See
> > https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/commits?author=lathiat.
> >
> >   According to https://github.com/lathiat Trend works for Canonical.
> >

> That is interesting to know. Now I understand why Trent does not like
> that someone will take the project away from him.

In any case, starting at the last link I provided, this leads, within 5
minutes to...

* ...his info that he works for Canonical,
* ...an email address registered by Trent with GitHub,
* ...a website run by him showing his Twitter handle,
* ...confirming his Canonical association info,
* ...showing his frequent Twitter activity.

In the same time span spent at https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/issues I
could not identify...

* ...any bug reports related to problems created by Avahi shortcomings
   for CUPS printing as mentioned before,
* ...any pull requests submitted at GitHub to solve these problems.

But maybe I was not aware of what I should search for....

However I noted the following Avahi statistics on GitHub:

* 81 open vs. 43 closed Issues.
* 39 open vs. 55 closed Pull Requests.

So indeed, the activities on Avahi have slowed down in recent years.
But it is not the case that Trent is missing from planet earth or turned
un-interested regarding computer-related topics.

So my advice would be the following:

* Create the relevant bug reports ("issues") for Avahi on GitHub.
* Create the most wanted feature requests for Avahi on GitHub.
* For each bug and feature supply a pull request on GitHub.
* Upvote/comment/like/discuss these new activities on Avahi's GitHub.
* Contact Trent via Twitter (where he seems most responsive) about
   the Github issues and ask for his comments.
* If he does not show any willingness to integrate well done pull
   requests, then only seriously consider a fork on the project. Y'all
   will have an easier way to convince people about the need for
   such a drastic step, if your PRs are sitting there for too long. Also
   a fork will have a headstart, if the code to add/improve is already
   waiting there, well-tested.

Don't just jump into such an adventure based on rumours, un-prepared and
without your troops well-equipped.

* Re: [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2019-02-14 20:57         ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2019-02-14 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kurt.pfeifle, printing-architecture; +Cc: Aveek Basu

On 14/02/2019 18:49, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> This is not correct.
>
> Avahi was initially created by Trend Lloyd in early 2004. He was
> certainly inspired by Apple's Bonjour, which unfortunately was not Open
> Source initially, so there as a strong motivation to implement a FOSS
> ZeroConf stack, since all of the relevant specs (mDNS + DNS-SD) were
> already there at IETF, and open.
>
> Later that same year Lennart Poettering started a similar project to
> implement mDNS/DNS-SD functionality called "FlexMDNS".
>
> Both projects united and merged their code bases sometime in 2005.
> Though I have no idea which of the two guys wrote more lines of code
> that still exists in today's code base, Poettering surely had a heavy
> impact on today's Avahi.
>
> Apple released Bonjour as Open Source software under the Apache License
> only in 2006.
>
> Avahi's name certainly was Trend's decision, and he started his
> implementation half a year before Poettering.
>
> Poettering's last commit into Avahi's GitHub code was in Sept  2012.
> Trend's last commit was 10 days ago. The last time Trend merged a major
> pull request was in August 2018. See
> https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/commits?author=lathiat.
>
>   According to https://github.com/lathiat Trend works for Canonical.

That is interesting to know. Now I understand why Trent does not like
that someone will take the project away from him.

The best would be if Trent would allow some additional persons to
directly upload and perhaps even to do releases, so that he does not
have the full workload but still be part of his project.

He needs to admit that he is not able to carry the load and
responsibility of leading a project which is an integral part of the OS.

For me it looks like that we have to prepare a fork to have a version
where the distros can work with and rely on.

@ 2019-02-14 17:49       ` Kurt Pfeifle
From: Kurt Pfeifle @ 2019-02-14 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: printing-architecture; +Cc: Aveek Basu, Till Kamppeter

@ 2019-02-14 16:12       ` Zdenek Dohnal
From: Zdenek Dohnal @ 2019-02-14 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter, printing-architecture

On 2/14/19 4:31 PM, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> On 14/02/2019 15:39, Zdenek Dohnal wrote:
>> I met with Michal today. He studied more CUPS code by itself and
>> found other features which would be needed to implement in systemd
>> and in his opinion it is not doable in systemd-resolved.
>>
>> If there will be any other update, I'll inform you.
>
> So this would mean that we should actually fork Avahi as there is no
> complete replacement for it in the foreseeable future?
Yes, that is what it means :( .

--
Zdenek Dohnal
Associate Software Engineer

* Re: [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2019-02-14 15:31     ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2019-02-14 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zdenek Dohnal, printing-architecture

@ 2019-02-14 14:52   ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2019-02-14 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zdenek Dohnal; +Cc: Open Printing

On 14/02/2019 14:21, Zdenek Dohnal wrote:
> Michal Sekletar contacted me last week about Avahi situation. IMHO he
> talked with Lennart (since he is his co-worker from the same team) about
> the situation and came up with solution they will try to implement Avahi
> features (because Avahi has currently uncooperative upstream and Avahi
> API is not so good for use in their opinion) into systemd itself,
> probably in systemd-resolved.
>
> But the initiative does not have any specific dates when it will be
> done, only 'in the future', so I cannot declare any specific deadlines
> when it will be done. Because of it I'm for Till's suggestion, if
> immediate solution is needed.
>
> About future work on systemd, I only told Michal what CUPS would need
> from systemd, if Avahi will be gone (I used what Mike said in
> https://github.com/apple/cups/issues/5452):
>
> - register service instance and TEXT/LOC records
>
> - browse for service
>
> - resolving .local hostnames
>
> If I missed something, please tell me and send me an email.
>
> Just sharing the latest gossip from systemd group.

Important is also that a service on localhost (for example ippusbxd or
generally a Printer Application) can be registered and advertised
locally. See

https://github.com/OpenPrinting/ippusbxd#1-expose-the-printer-on-localhost

@ 2019-02-14 14:39   ` Zdenek Dohnal
From: Zdenek Dohnal @ 2019-02-14 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: printing-architecture

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 9728 bytes --]

On 2/14/19 2:21 PM, Zdenek Dohnal wrote:
> [...]

>> When working on this cups-filters bug report
>>
>> https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups-filters/issues/22
>>
>> I discovered that CUPS uses 4 different variants of the
>> get-printer-attributes IPP request at 4 places, so for one and the
>> same printer 4 different PPD files can get generated, depending on the
>> method how one creates a print queue for the driverless IPP printer. I
>> have reported this to CUPS as a bug and Mike has fixed it on both
>> 2.2.x and 2.3.x.
>>
>> See
>>
>> https://github.com/apple/cups/issues/5484
>>

>> cups-filters
>> ------------
>>
>> Currently released is 1.22.0.
>>
>> From this release on the pdftopdf filter flattens interactive PDF
>> forms and annotations internally, using QPDF, instead of calling
>> external utilities. This especially eliminates slowing factors as
>> additional piping of the data and unneeded use of PDF interpreters.
>> Using external utilities for flattening is still possible in case of
>> problems. In addition, a crash bug in cups-browsed got fixed and
>> compatibility of the filters with Poppler 0.72 assured.
>>
>> The form-flattening with QPDF was already planned 2 years ago as GSoC
>> project, but the student did not complete his work. Jay Berkenbilt,
>> upstream maintainer of QPDF, completed the work (the code is
>> practically completely in QPDF), released a new version of QPDF with
>> this included, and told me what to call from pdftopdf during the
>> new-year break. Note that Jay is doing all that voluntarily. Also
>> Tobias Hoffmann, former GSoC student and mentor, helped on this.
>>
>> The next release will (1.22.1) will still happen before Ubuntu's
>> Feature Freeze (Feb 21) and mainly switch the get-printer-attributes
>> IPP calls to the way how CUPS does it now.
>>
>> CHANGES IN V1.22.1
>>
>>     - cups-browsed, driverless: When polling the printer's
>>           capabilities via get-printer-attributes IPP request for
>>           driverless printing, use the attributes "all" and
>>           "media-col-database". Without "all" some printers do not
>>           report "urf-supported" and without "media-col-database" not
>>           all paper size and marging info gets reported (Issue #22,
>>           Pull request #86, CUPS issue #5484).
>>     - braille: Document how to rework output before
>>       embossing. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for this patch (Pull
>>       request #90).
>>
>> CHANGES IN V1.22.0
>>
>>     - pdftopdf: Use QPDF for flattening interactive PDF forms
>>       (Issues #2, #23, #36, Pull request #88).
>>     - pdftopdf: Fixed bug of closing temporary file prematurely
>>       when external PDF form flattening utilities fail (Thanks to
>>       Tobias Hoffmann for finding this, see pull request #88).
>>     - pdftoopvp: More fixes for building with Poppler 0.72
>>       (Pull request #83, Issue #75).
>>     - pdftoraster, pdftoijs, pdftoopvp: Removed support for
>>       Poppler 0.18 (Pull request #83).
>>     - cups-browsed: Fixed crash in applying the BrowseFilter
>>       cups-browsed.conf directives (Debian bug #916765).

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 12093 bytes --]

* Re: [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2019-02-14 13:21 ` Zdenek Dohnal
From: Zdenek Dohnal @ 2019-02-14 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter; +Cc: Open Printing

@ 2019-02-14  8:34       ` Zdenek Dohnal
From: Zdenek Dohnal @ 2019-02-14  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: printing-architecture

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 532 bytes --]

On 2/14/19 12:56 AM, Solomon Peachy wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 10:26:29PM +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> By the way, who is the original author of Avahi?
> None other than Lennart Pottering.  :)
Yes :)

>  - Solomon

Zdenek Dohnal
Associate Software Engineer
Red Hat Czech - Brno TPB-C

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 1597 bytes --]

* Re: [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2019-02-13 23:56     ` Solomon Peachy
From: Solomon Peachy @ 2019-02-13 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter; +Cc: Aveek Basu, printing-architecture

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 10:26:29PM +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> By the way, who is the original author of Avahi?

None other than Lennart Pottering.  :)

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News
@ 2019-02-13 21:43     ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2019-02-13 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter; +Cc: Aveek Basu, printing-architecture

Till,

Hard to say since none of the source files have copyright statements, but the Git history and wayback machine shows it is probably Lennart Poettering:

    http://web.archive.org/web/20061010201810/http://www.avahi.org/wiki/AvahiCommunity#People

@ 2019-02-13 21:26   ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2019-02-13 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sweet; +Cc: Aveek Basu, printing-architecture