From: Mittal, Rishabh <rimittal at ebay.com>
To: spdk@lists.01.org
Subject: Re: [SPDK] NBD with SPDK
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 22:51:59 +0000	[thread overview]

<<As I’m sure you’re aware, SPDK apps use spdk_alloc() with the SPDK_MALLOC_DMA which is backed by huge pages that are effectively pinned already. SPDK does virt to phy transition on memory allocated this <<way very efficiently using spdk_vtophys().  It would be an interesting experiment though.  Your app is not in a VM right?>>

I am thinking of passing the physical address of the buffers in bio to spdk.  I don’t know if it is already pinned by the kernel or do we need to explicitly do it. And also, spdk has some requirements on the alignment of physical address. I don’t know if address in bio conforms to those requirements.

SPDK won’t be running in VM.

From: "Luse, Paul E" <paul.e.luse(a)intel.com>
Date: Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 12:53 PM
To: "Mittal, Rishabh" <rimittal(a)ebay.com>, "spdk(a)lists.01.org" <spdk(a)lists.01.org>
Cc: "Kadayam, Hari" <hkadayam(a)ebay.com>, "Chen, Xiaoxi" <xiaoxchen(a)ebay.com>, "Szmyd, Brian" <bszmyd(a)ebay.com>
Subject: RE: NBD with SPDK

Hi Rishabh,

Thanks for the question. I was talking to Jim and Ben about this a bit, one of them may want to elaborate but we’re thinking the cost of mmap and also making sure the memory is pinned is probably prohibitive. As I’m sure you’re aware, SPDK apps use spdk_alloc() with the SPDK_MALLOC_DMA which is backed by huge pages that are effectively pinned already. SPDK does virt to phy transition on memory allocated this way very efficiently using spdk_vtophys().  It would be an interesting experiment though.  Your app is not in a VM right?

Thx
Paul